Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: 2 Sauvignon Blancs, one nice

My turn to make dinner- a starter of hiyayakko (tofu), then spaghetti
with edamame, mushrooms and a parsley sauce, asparagus on the side.
I'm thinking Gruner, but the bottle of Rudi Pichler I thought I had
handy turned out to be a Riesling. So skipped that, and thought
Sauvignon Blanc would go well with the food.

Well, not the 2008 Indaba Sauvignon Blanc. This is the poster child
for overcropped SB. Green fruit flavors, sourness, initial impression
of acidity but it you pay attention that's just the sourness, it's not
especially lively. Even at $6 it's overpriced. C

I couldn't face that, so opened the 2004 de Moor St Bris. Unlike
another recent bottle, this is showing some age. Good acidity, fairly
full bodied, citrus with a little flinty edge. There are some light
oxidative notes, glad to drink this up, but a very pleasant wine. B

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an
excellent*wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I
wouldn't*drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I
offer no*promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of
consistency.**