Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Burgundy Dinner

Notes from a Burgundy Dinner

Lovely dinner aid on by Devin at a local restaurant, with blind tasted
Bugs, white and red.

2001 Girardin Puligny Montrachet Le Champs Gain – buttery smoky nose,
silky feel, smooth entry, good acidity, and a fair bit of oak that
manifested more on palate than in the nose. I liked this a lot.

2004 Sauzet Puligny Montrachet Le Champ Gain – same vineyard and
vintage, different producer, totally different wine.Clean citrus nose,
simpler wine with clean bright acidity and oak in the nose.

2000 Fontaine Chandon de Briailles Corton Le Charlemagne – an
interesting nutty, salty slightly oxidative nose, medium weight,
decent length and classy presence. Nice wine.

Served with scallop ravioli, lobster tomato salad

After 3 winning whites, we plunged intrepidly on to the reds.

1978 Remoissenet Pommard – the light was low and it was difficult to
judge wine age, and this one seemed 15 - 20 years younger. Slightly
spicy, meaty raspberry nose, sweet and bright, balanced and elegant.

1990 Thibault Ligier-Belair Les St. Georges – earthy musty nose, and
then some mint showed up. Sweet entry, finished with high acidity and
some dill. Getting tired?

With braised veal cheeks and a foie gras cromoquis (little sac of FG
that squirts at you when you cut into it!

1996 Daniel Rion Nuits St. Georges Les Vignes Rondes- Dark wine,
fruity nose but I thought it fell a bit flat in the middle, finishing
with both tannin and acid. Some raspberry in nose.

1985 Faivelley Mazis Chambertain – sweet fruit in nose, mellow wine,
medium bodied, that kept building nose with time in the glass. Ready
but holding.

1989 Drouhin Beaune Clos des Mouches – nose slightly musty at first,
but cleared up, another sweet, mellow wine that was smooth across the
palate. I thought it low in acid at the start but it seemed to somehow
balance out with time.

With pheasant and an oeuf aux meurettes (a favourite of mine)

2001 Girardin Pommard - dark wine with fruit driven nose, sweet
entry, good acidity, good length

1958 Doudet Naudin Savigny les Beaunes – from a producer that fell
into some disrepute some years ago, and a wine not reputed to last
well, a stand out. Pale colour, rose petal nose, it was almost more
like a Nebbiolo than a Pinot. faded elegance on palate, still
balanced and still showing a lot of class.

Posted to alt.food.wine

The Girardin PM was actually a 2004 (oops)

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Mar 31, 11:40*am, "Bill S." > wrote:
> Notes from a Burgundy Dinner
>
> Lovely dinner aid on by Devin at a local restaurant, with blind tasted
> Bugs, white and red.
>
> 2001 Girardin Puligny Montrachet Le Champs Gain – buttery smoky nose,
> silky feel, smooth entry, good acidity, and a fair bit of oak that
> manifested more on palate than in the nose. I liked this a lot.
>
> 2004 Sauzet Puligny Montrachet *Le Champ Gain – same vineyard and
> vintage, different producer, totally different wine.Clean citrus nose,
> simpler wine with clean bright acidity and oak in the nose.
>
> 2000 Fontaine Chandon de Briailles Corton Le Charlemagne – an
> interesting nutty, salty slightly oxidative nose, medium weight,
> decent length and classy presence. Nice wine.
>
> Served with scallop ravioli, lobster tomato salad
>
> After 3 winning whites, we plunged intrepidly on to the reds.
>
> 1978 Remoissenet Pommard – the light was low and it was difficult to
> judge wine age, and this one seemed 15 - 20 years younger. *Slightly
> spicy, meaty raspberry nose, sweet and bright, balanced and elegant.
>
> 1990 Thibault Ligier-Belair Les St. Georges – earthy musty nose, and
> then some mint showed up. *Sweet entry, finished with high acidity and
> some dill. Getting tired?
>
> With braised veal cheeks and a foie gras cromoquis (little sac of FG
> that squirts at you when *you cut into it!
>
> 1996 Daniel Rion Nuits St. Georges *Les Vignes Rondes- Dark wine,
> fruity nose but I thought it fell a bit flat in the middle, finishing
> with both tannin and acid. *Some raspberry in nose.
>
> 1985 Faivelley Mazis Chambertain – sweet fruit in nose, mellow wine,
> medium bodied, that kept building nose with time in the glass. Ready
> but holding.
>
> 1989 Drouhin Beaune Clos des Mouches – nose slightly musty at first,
> but cleared up, another sweet, mellow wine that was smooth across the
> palate. I thought it low in acid at the start but it seemed to somehow
> balance out with time.
>
> With pheasant and an oeuf aux meurettes (a favourite of mine)
>
> 2001 Girardin Pommard *- dark wine with fruit driven nose, sweet
> entry, good acidity, good length
>
> 1958 Doudet Naudin Savigny les Beaunes – from a producer that fell
> into some disrepute some years ago, and a wine not reputed to last
> well, a stand out. Pale colour, rose petal nose, it was almost more
> like a Nebbiolo than a Pinot. *faded elegance on palate, still
> balanced and still showing a lot of class.

I find that Remoissenet always seems younger than the vintage on the
label.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Thu, 1 Apr 2010 06:33:01 -0700 (PDT), "Bi!!" >
wrote:

>On Mar 31, 11:40*am, "Bill S." > wrote:

>> 1978 Remoissenet Pommard – the light was low and it was difficult to
>> judge wine age, and this one seemed 15 - 20 years younger. *Slightly
>> spicy, meaty raspberry nose, sweet and bright, balanced and elegant.

>> With pheasant and an oeuf aux meurettes (a favourite of mine)

Mine too!

>I find that Remoissenet always seems younger than the vintage on the
>label.

I always find that it always tastes a level better than its
appellation. The winemaker there is a VERY talented lady, as well as
being charming. I was lucky enough to sit next to her at a dinner
during Les Trois Glorieuses.
All the best
Fatty in Forges
http://www.souvigne.com
Posted to alt.food.wine

Can't ask for more than a charming lady that also makes good wine!

TN: White Burgundy, Red Burgundy, Pink Burgundy DaleW Wine 1 11-03-2011 05:25 PM
Holiday Dinner-Bordeaux Burgundy Bi!! Wine 5 20-12-2010 06:05 PM
TN: Dinner w/Piedmont, Santa Cruz, Burgundy, and other wines DaleW Wine 4 11-01-2007 07:18 AM
help with a Burgundy AyTee Wine 3 14-04-2006 05:10 PM
White Burgundy Dinner Ideas RV WRLee Wine 54 18-03-2004 02:44 PM