Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: "High end" Muscadet :)

Monday Betsy made pink lentil dal with spinach, served with brown rice
and the 2002 Luneau-Papin "Excelsior- Clos des Noelles" Muscadet de
Sevre-et-Maine. Nice rich green apple fruit, nice length, quite nice.
I liked (but didn't love as I had before). But a half bottle was left,
and I revisited when I got home Tuesday around 9 (I'd had dinner and
board meeting at office). Now I'm loving this, kind of 1er cru Puligny
meets Muscadet. Good acidity, long long long, great saline/mineral
notes with a little top note of spring flowers. I guess maybe this was
a bit shut down on opening. On night two, A-.

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an
excellent*wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I
wouldn't*drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I
offer no*promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of
consistency.**
Posted to alt.food.wine

DaleW > wrote in news:83b697cf-d89c-446b-ab11-e9b95c99efd5
@u9g2000yqb.googlegroups.com:

> Monday Betsy made pink lentil dal with spinach, served with brown rice
> and the 2002 Luneau-Papin "Excelsior- Clos des Noelles" Muscadet de
> Sevre-et-Maine. Nice rich green apple fruit, nice length, quite nice.
> I liked (but didn't love as I had before). But a half bottle was left,
> and I revisited when I got home Tuesday around 9 (I'd had dinner and
> board meeting at office). Now I'm loving this, kind of 1er cru Puligny
> meets Muscadet. Good acidity, long long long, great saline/mineral
> notes with a little top note of spring flowers. I guess maybe this was
> a bit shut down on opening. On night two, A-.

Emery could tell you how good was this wine with a 2 hours decant when we
met last october at the Domaine. It is actually very closed down and needs:
to be decanted and served above 10șC. Difficult to beat the QPR.

BTW, Emery, I have just been appointed again for teaching in Angers next
november so I hope we will meet again.

s.
Disclaimer: Please note that I do consult for a company that imports
Luneau-Papin into Spain.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On 03/25/2010 11:06 PM, santiago wrote:
> DaleW > wrote in news:83b697cf-d89c-446b-ab11-e9b95c99efd5
> @u9g2000yqb.googlegroups.com:
>
>> Monday Betsy made pink lentil dal with spinach, served with brown rice
>> and the 2002 Luneau-Papin "Excelsior- Clos des Noelles" Muscadet de
>> Sevre-et-Maine. Nice rich green apple fruit, nice length, quite nice.
>> I liked (but didn't love as I had before). But a half bottle was left,
>> and I revisited when I got home Tuesday around 9 (I'd had dinner and
>> board meeting at office). Now I'm loving this, kind of 1er cru Puligny
>> meets Muscadet. Good acidity, long long long, great saline/mineral
>> notes with a little top note of spring flowers. I guess maybe this was
>> a bit shut down on opening. On night two, A-.

> Emery could tell you how good was this wine with a 2 hours decant when we
> met last october at the Domaine. It is actually very closed down and needs:
> to be decanted and served above 10șC. Difficult to beat the QPR.

Yes, very important to give it air and not serve too cold. A very
complex drink, I thought it was very good indeed.

Do I remember correctly that one of the Excelsiors was discontinued?

> BTW, Emery, I have just been appointed again for teaching in Angers next
> november so I hope we will meet again.

Great, congratulations. Looking forward to it. Just remembering with
pleasure our excellent tasting at L-P and the fine lunch that followed.

> s.
> Disclaimer: Please note that I do consult for a company that imports
> Luneau-Papin into Spain.

I'm not involved financially, so without disclaimer I can
enthusiastically praise L-P! In fact I have been unashamedly drinking
their confidential Gros Plante [!], sold for the lordly sum of 3.50 EU,
and rife with citrus, seaweed and shells. Perfect with oysters.

-E
Posted to alt.food.wine

On 3/26/10 2:08 PM, Emery Davis wrote:

>> Disclaimer: Please note that I do consult for a company that imports
>> Luneau-Papin into Spain.

> I'm not involved financially, so without disclaimer I can
> enthusiastically praise L-P! In fact I have been unashamedly drinking
> their confidential Gros Plante [!], sold for the lordly sum of 3.50 EU,
> and rife with citrus, seaweed and shells. Perfect with oysters.

As I am also not financially involved, I will also express my support of
L-P wines. I am more of an L d'Or fancier, but remain open minded.

Mark Lipton

Posted to alt.food.wine

Emery Davis > wrote in
:

> Do I remember correctly that one of the Excelsiors was discontinued?

Only partially. The "Excelsior" line consisted originally of a Clos du
Poyet and a Clos de Noelles chez L-P. The first has been discontinued, the
second has not.

At the same time, Pierre-Marie L-P has released his first wine: Pueri Solis
which is not in the Excelsior line but is made in the same manner: 40
months on the lees, and it starts with the 2005 vintage.

Best,

s.

Posted to alt.food.wine

On 03/26/2010 09:20 PM, santiago wrote:
> Emery Davis > wrote in
> :
>
>> Do I remember correctly that one of the Excelsiors was discontinued?

> Only partially. The "Excelsior" line consisted originally of a Clos du
> Poyet and a Clos de Noelles chez L-P. The first has been discontinued, the
> second has not.

Right, that's what I meant. Couldn't bring Poyet to mind.

> At the same time, Pierre-Marie L-P has released his first wine: Pueri Solis
> which is not in the Excelsior line but is made in the same manner: 40
> months on the lees, and it starts with the 2005 vintage.

This is the rather Australian looking label we saw, right? Did we taste
an early sample, do you recall? (40 months on the lees, wow, from
anyone else this would seem insanity, but these guys seem to have
perfected these sorts of processes.)

-E
Posted to alt.food.wine

On 03/26/2010 08:07 PM, Mark Lipton wrote:
> On 3/26/10 2:08 PM, Emery Davis wrote:
>
>>> Disclaimer: Please note that I do consult for a company that imports
>>> Luneau-Papin into Spain.

>> I'm not involved financially, so without disclaimer I can
>> enthusiastically praise L-P! In fact I have been unashamedly drinking
>> their confidential Gros Plante [!], sold for the lordly sum of 3.50 EU,
>> and rife with citrus, seaweed and shells. Perfect with oysters.

> As I am also not financially involved, I will also express my support of
> L-P wines. I am more of an L d'Or fancier, but remain open minded.

Hey Mark,

Actually the L d'Or and Pierre Granges are usually what I buy, but the
Gros Plante was such an amazing QPR, and honestly, at only 54 EU a case,
why resist?

Adele was going to make a kir with the G-P tonight, but thought better
of it thank goodness!

-E
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Mar 26, 5:57*pm, Emery Davis > wrote:

> >> I'm not involved financially, so without disclaimer I can
> >> enthusiastically praise L-P! In fact I have been unashamedly drinking
> >> their confidential Gros Plante [!], sold for the lordly sum of 3.50 EU,
> >> and rife with citrus, seaweed and shells. *Perfect with oysters.

> > As I am also not financially involved, I will also express my support of
> > L-P wines. *I am more of an L d'Or fancier, but remain open minded.

> Hey Mark,
>
> Actually the L d'Or and Pierre Granges are usually what I buy, but the
> Gros Plante was such an amazing QPR, and honestly, at only 54 EU a case,
> why resist?
>
> Adele was going to make a kir with the G-P tonight, but thought better
> of it thank goodness!
>
> -E

Wait, 3.50/bottle or 54/Case?
Both cheap compared to here, where it's about $10 with mixed case
discount.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On 03/26/2010 11:49 PM, DaleW wrote:
> Wait, 3.50/bottle or 54/Case?
> Both cheap compared to here, where it's about $10 with mixed case
> discount.

Boff. Public mental glitch. Should be 42.

-E
Posted to alt.food.wine

Emery Davis > wrote in
:

> This is the rather Australian looking label we saw, right?

I think so.

Did we
> taste an early sample, do you recall?

I don't think so. Not on my notes. But I was given a bottle which I tasted
last month and liked. Even if I a prefer wines from the colder 2004 vintage
to those from the hot 2005.

(40 months on the lees, wow,
> from anyone else this would seem insanity, but these guys seem to have
> perfected these sorts of processes.)

So true. Do not think there is place in the world where they master work
with lees as in Muscadet (perhaps Champagne?).

Best,

s.