Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Brun with a boom, Leitz without lights

Since we bought our house in 2003, we've experienced 4 prolonged power
outages. Unfortunately, 2 of them were in the last 2 weeks!

Rain came Saturday, and so did the NYTimes Sunday mag. Betsy liked
this recipe:
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/14/ma...tml?ref=dining
(oil poached cod in a blood orange nage with anise and tomato) and
made it for Saturday dinner. Rain got intense, and wind quite high. I
started getting emergency phone calls, but we still had power when we
sat down to dinner. After recent outage we made sure phones were
charged, heat was up higher than normal, and then toasted Thomas
Edison with the 2007 Terres Dorees "Vinification Bourguignonne"
Beaujolais Blanc, This is apparently a selection of Jean Paul Brun's
Chardonnay that he does the elevage seperately from main batch, using
(older) barrels. A fresh minerally Chardonnay, maybe a tad big,
richer, and rounder than their standard Beaujolais Blanc. White
pears, a hint of anise seed, no oak showing. Really enjoying this. B+

As I finish my first glass the fireworks start, culminating in the
transformer blowing. Luckily the street behind doesn't, so I get
permission to run a series of cords to keep my sump pump going. A trip
to the office (many detours on a short trip due to trees down), some
time figuring out which groups will make it to city, and then back
home. Outside temps in 40s, so not so cold, and we have candles and
flashlights. We did lose 3 sections of fence, so have to put dog on
leash for her constitutonal- I get soaked! But another glass of the
Brun is a nice way to end a dark night.

So Sunday we realize it might be days before we have power, the
outages in our area exceed even Hurricance Gloria in 1985. We
transferred most spoilable stuff to an ice chest. Luckily Betsy had
thawed a bird Sat afternoon, and we have gas stove, so she made
Chinese chicken (poached, shredded, and then topped with scallions and
hot oil), rice, and bok choy. Wine was the ever dependable 2007 Leitz
Rudesheimer Klosterlay Kabinett. Big sloppy kiss of a wine, peaches,
tropical fruit, a bit of citrus. Good acids keep it from being
cloying, nice finish. Not maybe best choice if searching for precision
or minerality, but a very enjoyable wine. B+/B

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an
excellent*wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I
wouldn't*drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I
offer no*promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of
consistency.**