FoodBanter.com

-   -   TN Palmer 85 (https://www.foodbanter.com/wine/394636-tn-palmer-85-a.html)

JT 13-03-2010 01:00 PM

TN Palmer 85

just to say I am still about, but have missed some SFWS tasting for various
reasons.

Last night at friends we had:

Lanson Black Label NV, been stored for a few years.
Pale straw, soft digestive bix nose and a really rounded buttery palate.
Quite long. Again shows the gains to be had for cellaring NV champs, takes
out the initial acidity and gives it a vintage character.

Kumeu River Chardonnay Mate, 2006 NZ
Deep straw, huge legs, wow, what a nose . A really complex buttery, spice
peaches fruit and not overpowering that some New World chards can be. Palate
echoed nose, gentle mouthful of peaches and some almonds. Long. Magnificent.
Could give a burg grand cru a run for money at a third of the price.

Craggy Range Pinot Noir Gimlett Gravels, 2007, NZ
Cherryvale with viscosity, bright. A fun nose of pure pinot, hint of spice,
great fruit, a simple palate that was easy to slurp, a serious pinot that
was easy to drink, went well with Cottage pie. Great value at GBP 12

The next wine was put on blind for me only, The devil!!
Palmer 1985, with serious cheese.
obvious age to the rim, mature brick, a strange nose that threw me, opened
up after half an hour in the glass, but had aspects of a good CDeP,
eventually the cassis, sweaty saddles and cinnamon came through, very good
entry with soft mature tannins and a long earthy blackberry kick. a tad
short. This wine is at peak now and I feel will decline slowly from here. I
guessed St Julien 1985, not enough farmyard for Margaux!!

JT
a continuing cold UK
will Wales beat Ireland this afternoon?

st.helier[_3_] 13-03-2010 08:51 PM

TN Palmer 85

"JT" wrote .......
> just to say I am still about, but have missed some SFWS tasting for
> various reasons.

..................like being up to your nether regions in snow and ice, John?

> Kumeu River Chardonnay Mate, 2006 NZ
> Deep straw, huge legs, wow, what a nose . A really complex buttery, spice
> peaches fruit and not overpowering that some New World chards can be.
> Palate echoed nose, gentle mouthful of peaches and some almonds. Long.
> Magnificent. Could give a burg grand cru a run for money at a third of the
> price.

Prior to their switching to Stelvin screwcaps for the entire range, Kumeu
River suffered from "corking" more than any other producer in NZ.

Named after founder Maté Brajkovich, this is their top chardonnay - I can
only agree 100% with your sentiments.

> ..... > will Wales beat Ireland this afternoon?

Writing (on Sunday morn - NZ time) with the benefit of hindsight - No!
(But this was always going to be a tough ask at Croke Park!)

Regards

AB