Posted to alt.food.wine

Default [TN] '01 Io Syrah

Tonight, Jean cooked another batch of her venison-black bean chili for
consumption while watching Purdue's basketball team play its first match
in the Big Ten tournament. I have a near-Pavlovian response of Syrah
with venison, so I opened a bottle of:

2001 Io "Upper Bench" Syrah Santa Maria Valley
nose: cedar, dark berry fruit, initially a tad medicinal, slightly meaty
palate: deep fruit, balanced acidity, medium-full body

I am fairly sure that this wine saw some new oak in its elevage, but at
9 years of age that oak has been fully integrated into the wine and is
only perceptible as cedar in the nose and in the rich mouthfeel. In
all, a very satisfying California Syrah, neither overripe nor overly
alcoholic and an outstanding match for the chili, which brought the
fruit out of the wine.

Mark Lipton
Posted to alt.food.wine

Default '01 Io Syrah

On Mar 13, 12:51�am, Mark Lipton > wrote:
> Tonight, Jean cooked another batch of her venison-black bean chili for
> consumption while watching Purdue's basketball team play its first match
> in the Big Ten tournament. �I have a near-Pavlovian response of Syrah
> with venison, so I opened a bottle of:
>
> 2001 Io "Upper Bench" Syrah Santa Maria Valley
> nose: cedar, dark berry fruit, initially a tad medicinal, slightly meaty
> palate: deep fruit, balanced acidity, medium-full body
>
> I am fairly sure that this wine saw some new oak in its elevage, but at
> 9 years of age that oak has been fully integrated into the wine and is
> only perceptible as cedar in the nose and in the rich mouthfeel. �In
> all, a very satisfying California Syrah, neither overripe nor overly
> alcoholic and an outstanding match for the chili, which brought the
> fruit out of the wine.
>
> Mark Lipton
> --
> alt.food.wine FAQ: �http://winefaq.cwdjr.net

Venison and Syrah is certainly on my list of great matches. Was the
chili spicy? Sometimes I find that the heat of the wine can react
harshly with the spicy peppers in chili so latelyy I've been drinking
a lot of beer with my chili. Go Bucks!
Posted to alt.food.wine

Bi!! wrote:

> Venison and Syrah is certainly on my list of great matches. Was the
> chili spicy? Sometimes I find that the heat of the wine can react
> harshly with the spicy peppers in chili so latelyy I've been drinking
> a lot of beer with my chili. Go Bucks!

That last second shot by Turner most likely cements his case for nat'l
POTY (IMO). If, as expected, both teams advance to the final tomorrow,
Bill, should we have a friendly wager on the outcome? ;-)

The chili wasn't terribly spicy, precisely for the purpose of making it
more wine-friendly. I've also got an anomalously high tolerance to
chili heat, so I'm an outlier regardless. Not that there would be any
problem having a beer with this dish, though.

Mark Lipton

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Mar 13, 9:26�am, Mark Lipton > wrote:
> Bi!! wrote:
>
> > Venison and Syrah is certainly on my list of great matches. �Was the
> > chili spicy? �Sometimes I find that the heat of the wine can react
> > harshly with the spicy peppers in chili so latelyy I've been drinking
> > a lot of beer with my chili. �Go Bucks!

> That last second shot by Turner most likely cements his case for nat'l
> POTY (IMO). �If, as expected, both teams advance to the final tomorrow,
> Bill, should we have a friendly wager on the outcome? ;-)
>
> The chili wasn't terribly spicy, precisely for the purpose of making it
> more wine-friendly. �I've also got an anomalously high tolerance to
> chili heat, so I'm an outlier regardless. �Not that there would be any
> problem having a beer with this dish, though.
>
> Mark Lipton
>
> --
> alt.food.wine FAQ: �http://winefaq.cwdjr.net

I have a high "heat" tolerance for spicy foods but I find that tannic
or high alcohol wines tend to be a bit much. Lately I've been making
a venison chili in more of a ragout style just to serve with syrah,
grenache and sangiovese wines.

If OSU and Purdue make it....you're on! A unique wine, losers choice.
Posted to alt.food.wine

Bi!! wrote:

> I have a high "heat" tolerance for spicy foods but I find that tannic
> or high alcohol wines tend to be a bit much. Lately I've been making
> a venison chili in more of a ragout style just to serve with syrah,
> grenache and sangiovese wines.
>
> If OSU and Purdue make it....you're on! A unique wine, losers choice.

After that first half, Bill, it's pretty much a moot point: as ugly a
half of Purdue b-ball as I can recall, including a disastrous blowout in
Columbus a decade or so ago.

Mark Lipton

Posted to alt.food.wine

Interesting. I always think Pinot Noir or Nebbiolo when I think of
venison.

If I were going with Syrah, I'd probably opt for a Northern Rhone.

Given that the venison wound up in chili, though, the choice of a
colonial version was apt. ;-)

Posted to alt.food.wine

On 3/15/10 12:03 PM, Bill S. wrote:
> Interesting. I always think Pinot Noir or Nebbiolo when I think of
> venison.
>
> If I were going with Syrah, I'd probably opt for a Northern Rhone.

Chacun à son goût, of course, Bill. My calculus is:

venison - Syrah (preferable N Rhone, too)
game birds, especially squab - Pinot Noir
wild boar or truffles - Nebbiolo

I am by no means dogmatic about it, though, and am always happy to
explore different combinations.

Mark Lipton

TN: Nice VdP Syrah DaleW Wine 0 08-05-2010 06:42 PM
Concerning syrah - historically Nils Gustaf Lindgren[_1_] Wine 4 15-03-2009 11:17 AM
TN Matetic syrah John T Wine 0 07-01-2009 07:23 PM
Syrah cybercat General Cooking 0 08-12-2006 01:03 AM
Failla Que Syrah '01 Ed Rasimus Wine 0 15-09-2004 08:41 PM