Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN Haut-Brion 1970, Rauenthaler Baiken Auslese 1971, Farnum HillSummer Cider(sparkling)

All bottles were properly stored and had no cork or other issues.

Chateau Haut-Brion 1970 is holding well and likely will last at least
several more years. I read some reports several years ago that
suggested it needed drinking soon. I can only conclude that there is
more than usual bottle variation, or some of the wine was poorly
stored. The color is still deep with only little indication of age
around the rim. The bouquet and taste are intense and are of dark
fruit and cassis with some spice and tobacco. The wine is smooth, has
very good balance, and has smooth medium tannins.

Rauenthaler Baiken Riesling Auslese 1971, Freiherr von Simmern, A.P.
Nr. 33045 007 72 is a most remarkable wine from a very great vintage.
It is now old gold in color and very bright. The intensity of taste
and bouquet is extreme. It could easily be mistaken for a BA . The
main fruit is apricot with some yellow peach. There is enough clean
old Riesling petrol character to add interesting complexity. There are
also hints of honey, wild flowers, and spice. The wine was not so
remarkable early on. It went through a very long dumb stage. It is now
extremely well balanced and is very rich and sweet.

The Farnum Hill Summer Cider (sparkling), Poverty Lane Orchards,
Lebanon N.H., USA, contains 7.5% alcohol. They also make other ciders.
I must say that I was not expecting much. Although apparently decent
ciders were made in the US in the 1800s and early 1900s, I had never
tasted a modern one that I liked. Most I have tasted are swill that
taste as if they were made from cull apples that have fallen to the
ground that even hogs would refuse to eat.

This was a quite decent cider. There is no mention of how the fairly
light sparkle was obtained - most likely from added CO2. However the
bubbles were small and slowly released. The color was very light
yellow. The cider is made from a mixture of classic cider apples
native to Europe and the US rather than the cheapest apples that can
be found. The bouquet is of very intense apple skin - by far more
intense than most apples sold in stores. The cider is fairly dry.
There is a clean apple taste, but the intense apple bouquet is the
most remarkable feature. This cider might go well with pork or perhaps
a traditional US Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner.

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Mar 11, 1:25*am, cwdjrxyz > wrote:

> Chateau Haut-Brion 1970 is holding well and likely will last at least
> several more years. I read some reports several years ago that
> suggested it needed drinking soon. I can only conclude that there is
> more than usual bottle variation, or some of the wine was poorly
> stored.

I think the 70 HB is probably fine for quite a few more years, based
on last taste several years ago.
But there's a 3rd possibility besides bottle variation and storage
issues - personal taste. I like really mature wines, so I have a
tendency to like/love bottles that some others regard as in decline
(or fully dead!). Forget 1970s, there are plenty of people who will
declare that the vast majority of 1979s, 1983s, and 1985s are past it.
Doesn't make them wrong, just "different"

Posted to alt.food.wine

"cwdjrxyz" > wrote in message
> This was a quite decent cider. There is no mention of how the fairly
> light sparkle was obtained - most likely from added CO2. However the
> bubbles were small and slowly released. The color was very light
> yellow. The cider is made from a mixture of classic cider apples
> native to Europe and the US rather than the cheapest apples that can
> be found. The bouquet is of very intense apple skin - by far more
> intense than most apples sold in stores. The cider is fairly dry.
> There is a clean apple taste, but the intense apple bouquet is the
> most remarkable feature. This cider might go well with pork or perhaps
> a traditional US Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner.

You are fortunate to be able to get a cider made from proper cider apples.
On this side of the pond, most seems to be made from dessert apples and is
never really dry. There is a prize-winning cider maker a couple of miles
from the English village where I was raised and I often think about bringing
some back with me but that would interfere with my wine purchases.
Cider does go well with pork, after all apple sauce is a traditional
accompaniment. It also goes well with many curry dishes.
Graham

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Mar 11, 2:57*pm, DaleW > wrote:
> On Mar 11, 1:25*am, cwdjrxyz > wrote:
>

> > Chateau Haut-Brion 1970 is holding well and likely will last at least
> > several more years. I read some reports several years ago that
> > suggested it needed drinking soon. I can only conclude that there is
> > more than usual bottle variation, or some of the wine was poorly
> > stored.

> I think the 70 HB is probably fine for quite a few more years, based
> on last taste several years ago.
> But there's a 3rd possibility besides bottle variation and storage
> issues - personal taste. I like really mature wines, so I have a
> tendency to like/love bottles that some others regard as in decline
> (or fully dead!). Forget 1970s, there are plenty of people who will
> declare that the vast majority of 1979s, 1983s, and 1985s are past it.
> Doesn't make them wrong, just "different"

Yes there is a 3rd possibility if you do not know something about the
critics who made the observation. I recall reading about the comments
concerning the wine many years ago, but do not recall the exact
details. It involved wines tasted in the UK and came from one of the
well-know lady critics, I believe, possibly in an old Decanter
article. The critic is quite conventional in her tastes, and, knowing
that, it is highly unlikely that she would not like a classic Bordeaux
that was old and at the peak in good condition. I doubt very much if
she would have liked this wine at only a few years old, especially if
it had started the dumb phase. She most likely would taste it when
young to try to evaluate how it might develop. And I very much doubt
if she would like Lafite mixed with cola as apparently is sometimes
done in a few countries in Asia. I only brought this subject up
because I did not want someone to buy the wine based on my comments
and then find that it is not as I described. Of course with a wine
this old some risk is involved, and there can be considerable bottle
variation even for bottles that have been properly stored. I post an
answer yesterday, but it has not appeared. Thus if another answer
appears, you know what happened.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Mar 12, 1:38*pm, cwdjrxyz > wrote:
> On Mar 11, 2:57*pm, DaleW > wrote:
>

> > On Mar 11, 1:25*am, cwdjrxyz > wrote:

> > > Chateau Haut-Brion 1970 is holding well and likely will last at least
> > > several more years. I read some reports several years ago that
> > > suggested it needed drinking soon. I can only conclude that there is
> > > more than usual bottle variation, or some of the wine was poorly
> > > stored.

> > I think the 70 HB is probably fine for quite a few more years, based
> > on last taste several years ago.
> > But there's a 3rd possibility besides bottle variation and storage
> > issues - personal taste. I like really mature wines, so I have a
> > tendency to like/love bottles that some others regard as in decline
> > (or fully dead!). Forget 1970s, there are plenty of people who will
> > declare that the vast majority of 1979s, 1983s, and 1985s are past it.
> > Doesn't make them wrong, just "different"

> Yes there is a 3rd possibility if you do not know something about the
> critics who made the observation. I recall reading about the comments
> concerning the wine many years ago, but do not recall the exact
> details. It involved wines tasted in the UK and came from one of the
> well-know lady critics, I believe, possibly in an old Decanter
> article. The critic is quite conventional in her tastes, and, knowing
> that, it is highly unlikely that she would not like a classic Bordeaux
> that was old and at the peak in good condition. I doubt very much if
> she would have liked this wine at only a few years old, especially if
> it had started the dumb phase. She most likely would taste it when
> young to try to evaluate how it might develop. And I very much doubt
> if she would like Lafite mixed with cola as apparently is sometimes
> done in a few countries in Asia. I only brought this subject up
> because I did not want someone to buy the wine based on my comments
> and then find that it is not as I described. Of course with a wine
> this old some risk is involved, and there can be considerable bottle
> variation even for bottles that have been properly stored. I post an
> answer yesterday, but it has not appeared. Thus if another answer
> appears, you know what happened.

I believe you accidentally did "reply to author" (I sent a short reply
to your spamtrap)
I'd have to believe the lady critic had a bad bottle, because the CT
reviews from people I know (pros and amateurs) are pretty solid across
the board for 70 HB.
As you note, even not counting storage, in same case with same
provenance bottles can show differently at that age, for one thing
even small differences in oxygen transfer between different corks is
amplified over so many years.

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Mar 12, 3:34*pm, DaleW > wrote:
>>I posted ananswer yesterday, but it has not appeared. Thus if another answer
> > appears, you know what happened.

> I believe you accidentally did "reply to author" (I sent a short reply
> to your spamtrap)

Yes, I likely hit the reply to author link. The spamtrap address is
domain mail set up to send outgoing mail, but to dump all incoming
mail at once to avoid spam. Without it posting on Usenet becomes a
nightmare. You can ban the spammers, but the worst of them change
their address and even mail service fairly often.