Posted to alt.food.wine

Default With Paella?

First thought in my little brain was a Montsant or Cotes du
Roussillon, but my family all screamed "NO, it must be white!" My
first thought there is Bordeaux Blanc. I am considering Albarino as
the "native" white, but do not really know the wine. The cook assures
me that he is not including corizo (we will save that for another
discussion, thank you) so I suppose that a white would be doable.

Advice - I may as well solicit it :-)
Joseph Coulter
Joseph Coulter Cruises and Vacations
www.josephcoulter.com
Posted to alt.food.wine

Joseph wrote on Sun, 07 Mar 2010 16:42:27 -0500:

> First thought in my little brain was a Montsant or Cotes du
> Roussillon, but my family all screamed "NO, it must be white!"
> My first thought there is Bordeaux Blanc. I am considering
> Albarino as the "native" white, but do not really know the
> wine. The cook assures me that he is not including corizo (we
> will save that for another discussion, thank you) so I suppose
> that a white would be doable.

> Advice - I may as well solicit it :-)
> Joseph Coulter
> Joseph Coulter Cruises and Vacations
> www.josephcoulter.com

Doesn't sound bad but I wonder if Sangria might be just as good. I have
even had a white wine "Sangria".

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to alt.food.wine

Joseph Coulter wrote:
> First thought in my little brain was a Montsant or Cotes du
> Roussillon, but my family all screamed "NO, it must be white!" My
> first thought there is Bordeaux Blanc. I am considering Albarino as
> the "native" white, but do not really know the wine. The cook assures
> me that he is not including corizo (we will save that for another
> discussion, thank you) so I suppose that a white would be doable.

Joseph,
There are so many different paellas that it's hard to recommend
something without more info about ingredients. I've been told that the
most "traditional" paella had rabbit and artichokes in it, but I doubt
that your recipe follows that tradition. If you're making a paella
Valenciana, then a white or rosé would seem to be the thing. If it's
more focused on meat then a lighter red would be my choice (not a Rioja,
though, as Santiago upbraided me some time ago).

Have fun! It's fun food, so a fun wine to go with it.
Mark Lipton
Posted to alt.food.wine

Joseph Coulter > wrote in
:

> First thought in my little brain was a Montsant or Cotes du
> Roussillon, but my family all screamed "NO, it must be white!" My
> first thought there is Bordeaux Blanc. I am considering Albarino as
> the "native" white, but do not really know the wine. The cook assures
> me that he is not including corizo (we will save that for another
> discussion, thank you) so I suppose that a white would be doable.
>
> Advice - I may as well solicit it :-)

Will you serve the same wine for Spaghetti Bolognese or Spaghetti
Carbonara? Probably not. Then, please try to know what it is going to be in
the paella and you will mostly have an idea of which wine to match it with.

Rice is neutral and will only absorb the flavor of the different
ingredients and broth used.

Anyway, if we are to be purists, paella is a countryside (and outdoor) dish
so it is better to opt for simple wines. For a typical paella with chicken,
rabbit, scargots the two different white (garrofó) and green beans
(ferraura) (which I doubt you will use since they are seldomly used outside
of Valencia), and the several vegetables present in the sofrito, an
Albariño will go well. As would a young red with not much oak, or even a
rosé. Think of something juicy and savoury.

About Albariño, provided it is a good one (there are crappy albariños as
well as any other grape variety), you should find quite intense aromatics
with white flowers and fresh juicy fruit from pear, apple and peaches,
sometimes some citrics. Easy drinking, with good balance between fruit and
high acidity.

I hope it goes well!

s.

Posted to alt.food.wine

:

>> First thought in my little brain was a Montsant or Cotes du
>> Roussillon, but my family all screamed "NO, it must be white!" My
>> first thought there is Bordeaux Blanc. I am considering Albarino as
>> the "native" white, but do not really know the wine. The cook assures
>> me that he is not including corizo (we will save that for another
>> discussion, thank you) so I suppose that a white would be doable.
>>
>> Advice - I may as well solicit it :-)

>Will you serve the same wine for Spaghetti Bolognese or Spaghetti
>Carbonara? Probably not. Then, please try to know what it is going to be in
>the paella and you will mostly have an idea of which wine to match it with.
>
>Rice is neutral and will only absorb the flavor of the different
>ingredients and broth used.
>
>Anyway, if we are to be purists, paella is a countryside (and outdoor) dish
>so it is better to opt for simple wines. For a typical paella with chicken,
>rabbit, scargots the two different white (garrofó) and green beans
>(ferraura) (which I doubt you will use since they are seldomly used outside
>of Valencia), and the several vegetables present in the sofrito, an
>Albariño will go well. As would a young red with not much oak, or even a
>rosé. Think of something juicy and savoury.
>
>About Albariño, provided it is a good one (there are crappy albariños as
>well as any other grape variety), you should find quite intense aromatics
>with white flowers and fresh juicy fruit from pear, apple and peaches,
>sometimes some citrics. Easy drinking, with good balance between fruit and
>high acidity.
>
>I hope it goes well!
>
>s.

Thank you. I think that this one will be heavy on shrimp and perhaps
other seafood, perhaps some chicken. I am leaning toward the Albarino
and hope I can find a good example. That is the fear part, finding a
good example of a wine that I have only had once maybe twice before.

It will be a birthday so all will be in a good mood.

Gracias.
Joseph Coulter
Joseph Coulter Cruises and Vacations
www.josephcoulter.com

Posted to alt.food.wine
pk pk is offline

"Mark Lipton" > wrote in message
If it's
> more focused on meat then a lighter red would be my choice (not a Rioja,
> though, as Santiago upbraided me some time ago).

why not rioja?

pk

Posted to alt.food.wine

Joseph Coulter > wrote in
:
> Thank you. I think that this one will be heavy on shrimp and perhaps
> other seafood, perhaps some chicken. I am leaning toward the Albarino
> and hope I can find a good example. That is the fear part, finding a
> good example of a wine that I have only had once maybe twice before.
>
> It will be a birthday so all will be in a good mood.

My favorite Albariños from D.O. Rias Baixas:

Upscale:
- Trico 2007 (only year released). One year longer than average on the
lees.
- Pazo de Señorans Selección de Añada. This is probably too upscale and too
refined for paella.
- Do Ferreiro Cepas Vellas: a selection from the oldest vines in the
vineyard.
- Zarate Cuvée Palomar
- Fillaboa Finca Montealto

Regular releases:
- Do Ferreiro
- Fillaboa
- Abadía San Campio
- Pazo de Señorans (though I usually find it a bit lacking in punch)

Reports are that Martin Codax sells a very different cuvée in the U.S. than
they sell in Spain (which I find quite ordinary) and I guess that it would
be quite available.

Anyway, if you have the chance, ask what is available and I may be able to
give you a recommendation.

Best,

s.
Posted to alt.food.wine

Mike Tommasi > wrote in
:

> my second visit at that wine heaven that is Mon Vìnic, I was
> introduced to a magnum of Zárate's Rias Baixas "Tras da Viña" 2004. At
> first I was suspicious, I have seen the wonderful fruit of many
> Albariños ruined by excessive wood and other manipulations, and the
> idea of Albariño that spends 30 months on its lees got me worried, but
> it is so well done that we all loved it, the slight oxydation seems to
> enhance the fruit instead of masking it.

Eulogio Pomares (the man behind Zárate) is a magician, as is the case with
many other producers such as José Antonio López (formerly at Lusco, now
starting up Tricó) or Gerardo Méndez (Do Ferreiro).

I like their wines for their purity. But I must say that I always find in
"Tras da Viña" an outlier in the form of acidity. I prefer Cuvée Palomar
(also available in Magnum).

As you, I am not very fond of oaked Albariños. Leirana Barrica might be an
exception, though.

> I enjoy the Pazo de Señorans wines too.

Me too, but sometimes I think they are too polished and I try to prefer my
Albariños a bit more fresh and fleshy. I sometimes think of Pazo de
Señorans as the Wehlener Sonnenuhrs of Rias Baixas, even with that little
vanilla touch (but oak is not involved). Since I tend to be more of a
Zeltingen Schlossberg kind of guy... I do not really drink much Pazo de
Señorans, even if I recognize how good a wine they are.

s.

Posted to alt.food.wine

"Mike Tommasi" > skrev i melding
> santiago wrote:
>
> Interesting, I shall be on the lookout for some Zeltingen Schlossberg
> Albariño... :-)

Nitpicking again... Zeltingen is the village. The vineyard is the 'Castle
hill of Zeltingen' and 'of Zeltingen' is 'Zeltinger' in German - so
'Zeltinger Schlossberg' is the correct name, which you both already know, of
course...
:-) Anders

Posted to alt.food.wine

"santiago" > wrote in message
> Joseph Coulter > wrote in
> :
>> Thank you. I think that this one will be heavy on shrimp and perhaps
>> other seafood, perhaps some chicken. I am leaning toward the Albarino
>> and hope I can find a good example. That is the fear part, finding a
>> good example of a wine that I have only had once maybe twice before.
>>
>> It will be a birthday so all will be in a good mood.

> My favorite Albariños from D.O. Rias Baixas:
>
> Upscale:
> - Trico 2007 (only year released). One year longer than average on the
> lees.
> - Pazo de Señorans Selección de Añada. This is probably too upscale and
> too
> refined for paella.
> - Do Ferreiro Cepas Vellas: a selection from the oldest vines in the
> vineyard.
> - Zarate Cuvée Palomar
> - Fillaboa Finca Montealto
>
> Regular releases:
> - Do Ferreiro
> - Fillaboa
> - Abadía San Campio
> - Pazo de Señorans (though I usually find it a bit lacking in punch)
>
> Reports are that Martin Codax sells a very different cuvée in the U.S.
> than
> they sell in Spain (which I find quite ordinary) and I guess that it would
> be quite available.
>
> Anyway, if you have the chance, ask what is available and I may be able to
> give you a recommendation.

Joseph,
Marci and I shared a (gigantic) Paella at Mixto restaurant in Philly last
year and ordered an albariño off the wine list. It paired very well. It
sounds like it had close to the same ingredients as you are expecting.

Jon

Posted to alt.food.wine

On 3/8/10 4:00 AM, pk wrote:
> "Mark Lipton" > wrote in message
> If it's
>> more focused on meat then a lighter red would be my choice (not a Rioja,
>> though, as Santiago upbraided me some time ago).

> why not rioja?

I think the point was that Rioja is too refined a wine for a peasant
dish like paella. Or perhaps he was just needling me for opening a La
Rioja Alta 904 with my paella ;-)

Mark Lipton

Posted to alt.food.wine

Anders,

I stand corrected!!!

Mike Tommasi > wrote in
:

> Seriously though, I did try an interesting combination of riesling and
> albariño! "Ekam" from DO Costers del Segre, by Castell d'Encus. Very
> pleasant intro to Zárate...

Ekam is serious stuff!!!

I had the chance of tasting it last week and was really amazed. I am very
prejudiced against whites from Cataluña and I was clearly humbled, because
this EKAM I thought had real class. I did not know it was Riesling and
Albariño. Will purchase some.

I remember that my first tasting of Mosel Riesling was around 2002, when we
found some wines of the so much touted great 2001 vintage. I remember it
was mostly Selbach-Oster and Dr. Loosen, since we found an importer of
these wines in our country.

When we tasted blind... we all thought: this smells like Albariño. And then
we put them in our mouth and were.... puzzled: This is sweet! We did not
even know the difference between a Kabinett and an Spatlese. Not that that
has changed that much anyway

So I can understand that those thay enjoy Riesling also enjoy Albariño, for
they are very similar in the nose. Unfortunately, in Spain we lack the
experience of centuries of learning about the different terroirs. Next time
I will go to the Mosel I should bring some Albarino clones with me to say
how it grows in ZeltingeR Schlossberg )))

Best,

s.
Posted to alt.food.wine

Mark Lipton > wrote in
:

> I think the point was that Rioja is too refined a wine for a peasant
> dish like paella. Or perhaps he was just needling me for opening a La
> Rioja Alta 904 with my paella ;-)

Lipton, Mark ---- A+

Posted to alt.food.wine

Joseph wrote on Sun, 07 Mar 2010 21:11:12 -0500:

>> Joseph Coulter > wrote in
>> :
>>
>>> First thought in my little brain was a Montsant or Cotes du
>>> Roussillon, but my family all screamed "NO, it must be
>>> white!" My first thought there is Bordeaux Blanc. I am
>>> considering Albarino as the "native" white, but do not
>>> really know the wine. The cook assures me that he is not
>>> including corizo (we will save that for another discussion,
>>> thank you) so I suppose that a white would be doable.
>>>
>>> Advice - I may as well solicit it :-)

>> Will you serve the same wine for Spaghetti Bolognese or
>> Spaghetti Carbonara? Probably not. Then, please try to know
>> what it is going to be in the paella and you will mostly have
>> an idea of which wine to match it with.
>>
>> Rice is neutral and will only absorb the flavor of the
>> different ingredients and broth used.
>>
>> Anyway, if we are to be purists, paella is a countryside (and
>> outdoor) dish so it is better to opt for simple wines. For a
>> typical paella with chicken, rabbit, scargots the two
>> different white (garrofó) and green beans (ferraura) (which I
>> doubt you will use since they are seldomly used outside of
>> Valencia), and the several vegetables present in the sofrito,
>> an Albariño will go well. As would a young red with not much
>> oak, or even a rosé. Think of something juicy and savoury.
>>
>> About Albariño, provided it is a good one (there are crappy
>> albariños as well as any other grape variety), you should
>> find quite intense aromatics with white flowers and fresh
>> juicy fruit from pear, apple and peaches, sometimes some
>> citrics. Easy drinking, with good balance between fruit and
>> high acidity.
>>
>> I hope it goes well!
>>
>> s.
>>

> Thank you. I think that this one will be heavy on shrimp and
> perhaps other seafood, perhaps some chicken. I am leaning
> toward the Albarino and hope I can find a good example. That
> is the fear part, finding a good example of a wine that I have
> only had once maybe twice before.

> It will be a birthday so all will be in a good mood.

It is interesting that a number of sites suggest Cava with paella,
including a wine bar that is also reputed to serve the best paella in
Madrid.

Just in passing, I first had paella at what is supposed to be the oldest
restaurant in the world, the "Casa de Botin". It is still very good (and
not outrageously expensive) but attracts tourists and no longer has
paella on its menu.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to alt.food.wine

"Anders Tørneskog" > wrote:

> Nitpicking again... Zeltingen is the village. The vineyard is
> the 'Castle hill of Zeltingen' and 'of Zeltingen' is 'Zeltinger'
> in German - so 'Zeltinger Schlossberg' is the correct name,
> which you both already know, of course...

You are correct, Anders, but quite a few of the better growers
today write things like "Zeltingen Schlossberg" or "Niederhausen
Hermannshöhle" in order to confuse consumers less.

M.

Posted to alt.food.wine

Mike Tommasi > wrote:

> So Fillaboa's Finca Montealto would be "Riasbaixen Hochberg"

Rather Niederfluss Hochberg.

M.
Posted to alt.food.wine

Michael Pronay > wrote in
:

> Mike Tommasi > wrote:
>
>> So Fillaboa's Finca Montealto would be "Riasbaixen Hochberg"

> Rather Niederfluss Hochberg.

Sure sounds like serious stuff!

s.

Posted to alt.food.wine

On 8 Mar 2010 10:36:11 +0100, santiago > wrote:

>Reports are that Martin Codax sells a very different cuvée in the U.S. than
>they sell in Spain (which I find quite ordinary) and I guess that it would
>be quite available.
>
>Anyway, if you have the chance, ask what is available and I may be able to
>give you a recommendation.
>
>Best,
>
>s.

The Martin Coax it is. I took the list and bought 2 of everything I
could find!
Posted to alt.food.wine

:
>> Thank you. I think that this one will be heavy on shrimp and perhaps
>> other seafood, perhaps some chicken. I am leaning toward the Albarino
>> and hope I can find a good example. That is the fear part, finding a
>> good example of a wine that I have only had once maybe twice before.
>>
>> It will be a birthday so all will be in a good mood.

>My favorite Albariños from D.O. Rias Baixas:
>
>Upscale:
>- Trico 2007 (only year released). One year longer than average on the
>lees.
>- Pazo de Señorans Selección de Añada. This is probably too upscale and too
>refined for paella.
>- Do Ferreiro Cepas Vellas: a selection from the oldest vines in the
>vineyard.
>- Zarate Cuvée Palomar
>- Fillaboa Finca Montealto
>
>Regular releases:
>- Do Ferreiro
>- Fillaboa
>- Abadía San Campio
>- Pazo de Señorans (though I usually find it a bit lacking in punch)
>
>Reports are that Martin Codax sells a very different cuvée in the U.S. than
>they sell in Spain (which I find quite ordinary) and I guess that it would
>be quite available.
>
>Anyway, if you have the chance, ask what is available and I may be able to
>give you a recommendation.
>
>Best,
>
>s.

So we went with the Martin Codax 2008 as my daughter's boyfriend said
"it neither impresses nor offends" nice melony nose citrus notes a
little bit of body but the finish though crisp just didn't do much. It
went well with the Paella but would I get again? probably not. sort of
a B- kind of thing.
Posted to alt.food.wine

Joseph Coulter > wrote in
:

> So we went with the Martin Codax 2008 as my daughter's boyfriend said
> "it neither impresses nor offends" nice melony nose citrus notes a
> little bit of body but the finish though crisp just didn't do much. It
> went well with the Paella but would I get again? probably not. sort of
> a B- kind of thing.

It seems they are now selling the "ordinary cuvée" worldwide

If I understood correctly... you purchased some other wines from my list.
Will you please report when you open them?.

s.

Posted to alt.food.wine

:

>> So we went with the Martin Codax 2008 as my daughter's boyfriend said
>> "it neither impresses nor offends" nice melony nose citrus notes a
>> little bit of body but the finish though crisp just didn't do much. It
>> went well with the Paella but would I get again? probably not. sort of
>> a B- kind of thing.

>It seems they are now selling the "ordinary cuvée" worldwide
>
>If I understood correctly... you purchased some other wines from my list.
>Will you please report when you open them?.
>
>s.

Sorry the Codax was the only one I could find. I would have opened
another, heck I would have bought another as I wasn't looking for
greatness whne I got to that point!

Thank you for the pointers , I shall not give up on this quest.
Posted to alt.food.wine

Joseph Coulter > wrote in
:

>>s.

> Sorry the Codax was the only one I could find. I would have opened
> another, heck I would have bought another as I wasn't looking for
> greatness whne I got to that point!
>
> Thank you for the pointers , I shall not give up on this quest.

May I ask you in which state ot the U.S. are you based so that I can do a
search on winesearcher?

Best,

s.

Posted to alt.food.wine

:

>>>s.

>> Sorry the Codax was the only one I could find. I would have opened
>> another, heck I would have bought another as I wasn't looking for
>> greatness whne I got to that point!
>>
>> Thank you for the pointers , I shall not give up on this quest.

>May I ask you in which state ot the U.S. are you based so that I can do a
>search on winesearcher?
>
>Best,
>
>s.

Florida, North part Jacksonville.
Posted to alt.food.wine

Joseph Coulter wrote:

> Florida, North part Jacksonville.

aka, part of the "evil empire" of Southern Wines and Spirits.

Mark Lipton

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Sun, 14 Mar 2010 18:35:35 -0400, Mark Lipton >
wrote:

>Joseph Coulter wrote:
>
>> Florida, North part Jacksonville.

>aka, part of the "evil empire" of Southern Wines and Spirits.
>
>Mark Lipton

Yeah, the evil wine barons. Actually I worked for them for a time!

Posted to alt.food.wine

Joseph Coulter > wrote in
:

> Florida, North part Jacksonville.

Ok. Used Florida as State filter in winesearcher:

B-21 in Tarpon Springs is quite far from Jacksonville, but they retail Pazo
de Señorans. Perhaps it is easy to mail order from them. They also seem to
have Morgadio and the best seller Martin Codax.

There are several online sites that deliver to FL, and I could find:

- Do Ferreiro
Sherry Lehmann
Wine Library
Macarthur Beverages

- Zarate Palomar
Saratoga Wine (wow, $47!, that's expensive)

- Fillaboa (plain)
France 44

of all these, I would try the Do Ferreiro since I find the Zárate way too
expensive, and I like Do Ferreiro a bit better than Fillaboa.

Or perhaps we should start exchanging parcels of Spanish Wine for U.S. wine

s.

Paella ImStillMags General Cooking 1 18-07-2013 11:24 PM
Paella (a rough peasant style paella dish) echuta66 General Cooking 1 04-07-2005 09:57 AM