Posted to alt.food.wine

Default [TN] '00 Beychevelle and Paraduxx

With Jean back in town (and before I depart tomorrow) we took the
opportunity to have a few dinners at home and open some good bottles.
Last night was roast chicken and Jean asked for a good Bordeaux. I came
back with:

2000 Ch. Beychevelle St. Julien
nose: initially, very cedary, becoming more plummy with a strong roasted
herbs note
palate: initially tight, becoming richer with a good acidic backbone

I had asked Jean if she minded a young wine, and when she replied no I
decided to broach our supply of this wine. I gave it a splash decant
but it still required about an hour of exposure to show well. It
promises a very nice future, though.

Tonight, Jean wanted lamb (and Andrew vociferously assented) so I
broiled some lamb chops and opened:

1999 Duckhorn Paraduxx (Zin/CS/Merlot blend)
nose: tarry, plummy fruit, a bit of mint
palate: full body, a hint of butterscotch

A lot of Zin character to this blend, which put me in mind of Ridge's
field blend wines (Geyserville, Lytton Springs). A very nice match with
the lamb and a very satisfying wine.

Mark Lipton

[TN] '61 Beychevelle Mark Lipton[_1_] Wine 4 23-09-2012 10:05 PM
[TN] '61 Beychevelle Mark Lipton[_1_] Wine 2 17-10-2011 01:41 PM
TN Ch Beychevelle 1975 Tom S Wine 2 11-10-2004 04:47 PM
1975 Beychevelle Ron Lel Wine 11 09-07-2004 06:25 PM
TN: 1999 Beychevelle Jaybert41 Wine 5 18-06-2004 06:13 PM