Posted to alt.food.wine

Default AWS Tasting

Marci and I hosted this month's Tasting of the Philadelphia chapter of
American Wine Society in our home yesterday. The theme was 'wines of the
Finger Lakes'. A smaller than normal turnout either due to the fact we held
it on a different Sunday than our normal tastings (3rd instead of 4th) ,
People were home watching Ice Dancing or the members in general didn't find
the theme appealing. Hard to say. Those that did attend seemed to love the
wines presented.

We served 6 wines:
1. Dr. Konstantine Frank Dry Riesling (2007)
2. Dr. Frank Rkatsiteli (2007) [3]
3. Hermann J. Wiemer Semi Dry Riesling (2007) [1]
4. Red Newt Cellars Riesling (2008) [2]
5. Red Newt Red EFT (NV) (a red 'kitchen sink' blend) [2]
6. Lamoreaux Landing Cabernet Frank (2007) [1]

We decided to score the reds separately from the whites. I've indicated the
scoring in square brackets after the vintage.

I also served 4 Cheeses from the Finger lakes as well as grapes, grapes,
hummus, edamame dip and some quince paste.

I chose the wines based on availability (5 of the wines were available in
PA, NJ or DE), price, and taste. This was our first time hosting a tasting
for the club and I was apprehensive about the theme and the wines. It was
unfounded as everything was very well received and a spirited discussion
about the area's winemaking went well beyond the appointed end time, and all
wines and most of the food was consumed.

Jon

Posted to alt.food.wine

On 2/22/10 2:30 PM, Zeppo wrote:
> Marci and I hosted this month's Tasting of the Philadelphia chapter of
> American Wine Society in our home yesterday. The theme was 'wines of the
> Finger Lakes'. A smaller than normal turnout either due to the fact we
> held it on a different Sunday than our normal tastings (3rd instead of
> 4th) , People were home watching Ice Dancing or the members in general
> didn't find the theme appealing. Hard to say. Those that did attend
> seemed to love the wines presented.
>
> We served 6 wines:
> 1. Dr. Konstantine Frank Dry Riesling (2007)
> 2. Dr. Frank Rkatsiteli (2007) [3]
> 3. Hermann J. Wiemer Semi Dry Riesling (2007) [1]
> 4. Red Newt Cellars Riesling (2008) [2]
> 5. Red Newt Red EFT (NV) (a red 'kitchen sink' blend) [2]
> 6. Lamoreaux Landing Cabernet Frank (2007) [1]
>
> We decided to score the reds separately from the whites. I've indicated
> the scoring in square brackets after the vintage.
>
> I also served 4 Cheeses from the Finger lakes as well as grapes, grapes,
> hummus, edamame dip and some quince paste.

Interesting tasting, Jon. I've had two of those wines, the Dr. Frank
Rkatsiteli and the Wiemer Semi Dry Riesling, and really liked them both.
Good lineup of Finger Lakes wines!

Mark Lipton

Posted to alt.food.wine

"Mark Lipton" > wrote in message
> On 2/22/10 2:30 PM, Zeppo wrote:
>> Marci and I hosted this month's Tasting of the Philadelphia chapter of
>> American Wine Society in our home yesterday. The theme was 'wines of the
>> Finger Lakes'. A smaller than normal turnout either due to the fact we
>> held it on a different Sunday than our normal tastings (3rd instead of
>> 4th) , People were home watching Ice Dancing or the members in general
>> didn't find the theme appealing. Hard to say. Those that did attend
>> seemed to love the wines presented.
>>
>> We served 6 wines:
>> 1. Dr. Konstantine Frank Dry Riesling (2007)
>> 2. Dr. Frank Rkatsiteli (2007) [3]
>> 3. Hermann J. Wiemer Semi Dry Riesling (2007) [1]
>> 4. Red Newt Cellars Riesling (2008) [2]
>> 5. Red Newt Red EFT (NV) (a red 'kitchen sink' blend) [2]
>> 6. Lamoreaux Landing Cabernet Frank (2007) [1]
>>
>> We decided to score the reds separately from the whites. I've indicated
>> the scoring in square brackets after the vintage.
>>
>> I also served 4 Cheeses from the Finger lakes as well as grapes, grapes,
>> hummus, edamame dip and some quince paste.
>>

> Interesting tasting, Jon. I've had two of those wines, the Dr. Frank
> Rkatsiteli and the Wiemer Semi Dry Riesling, and really liked them both.
> Good lineup of Finger Lakes wines!

Thanks Mark,
It was definitely a positive experience. I'm thinking Carmenere for next
year.

Jon

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Feb 22, 2:30*pm, "Zeppo" > wrote:
> Marci and I hosted this month's Tasting of the Philadelphia chapter of
> American Wine Society in our home yesterday. The theme was 'wines of the
> Finger Lakes'. A smaller than normal turnout either due to the fact we held
> it on a different Sunday than our normal tastings (3rd instead of 4th) ,
> People were home watching Ice Dancing or the members in general didn't find
> the theme appealing. Hard to say. Those that did attend seemed to love the
> wines presented.
>
> We served 6 wines:
> 1. Dr. Konstantine Frank Dry Riesling (2007)
> 2. Dr. Frank Rkatsiteli (2007) [3]
> 3. Hermann J. Wiemer Semi Dry Riesling (2007) [1]
> 4. Red Newt Cellars Riesling (2008) [2]
> 5. Red Newt Red EFT (NV) (a red 'kitchen sink' blend) [2]
> 6. Lamoreaux Landing Cabernet Frank (2007) [1]
>
> We decided to score the reds separately from the whites. I've indicated the
> scoring in square brackets after the vintage.
>
> I also served 4 Cheeses from the Finger lakes as well as grapes, grapes,
> hummus, edamame dip and some quince paste.
>
> I chose the wines based on availability (5 of the wines were available in
> PA, NJ or DE), price, and taste. This was our first time hosting a tasting
> for the club and I was apprehensive about the theme and the wines. It was
> unfounded as everything was very well received and a spirited discussion
> about the area's winemaking went well beyond the appointed end time, and all
> wines and most of the food was consumed.
>
> Jon

Good job. You stuck to some good examples of NYS wines.
I tend to prefer NYS whites to reds, was that your conclusion?
Posted to alt.food.wine

>> We served 6 wines:
>> 1. Dr. Konstantine Frank Dry Riesling (2007)
>> 2. Dr. Frank Rkatsiteli (2007) [3]
>> 3. Hermann J. Wiemer Semi Dry Riesling (2007) [1]
>> 4. Red Newt Cellars Riesling (2008) [2]
>> 5. Red Newt Red EFT (NV) (a red 'kitchen sink' blend) [2]
>> 6. Lamoreaux Landing Cabernet Frank (2007) [1]
>>
>> We decided to score the reds separately from the whites. I've indicated
>> the
>> scoring in square brackets after the vintage.
>>
>> I also served 4 Cheeses from the Finger lakes as well as grapes, grapes,
>> hummus, edamame dip and some quince paste.
>>
>> I chose the wines based on availability (5 of the wines were available in
>> PA, NJ or DE), price, and taste. This was our first time hosting a
>> tasting
>> for the club and I was apprehensive about the theme and the wines. It was
>> unfounded as everything was very well received and a spirited discussion
>> about the area's winemaking went well beyond the appointed end time, and
>> all
>> wines and most of the food was consumed.
>>
>> Jon

> Good job. You stuck to some good examples of NYS wines.
> I tend to prefer NYS whites to reds, was that your conclusion?

For me as well, but I do greatly enjoy some of the reds. The Cab Franc's are
excellent, and I also found well made Merlots and PNs as well as some very
tasty red blends. The Red EFT listed above has been a favorite in my house
since our trip last year.

What was really surprising was that two of our chapter members grew up in
the Finger Lakes area, and were not expecting very much from the wines. I
think if they hadn't been the friends that introduced us to the club they
may have skipped the tasting based on their bias against the wines of their
youth. The Dr Franks and the Wiemer really took them by surprise.

Jon

NYC Tasting Fred Wine 4 07-12-2005 04:48 AM
Tasting [email protected] Wine 25 13-02-2005 02:32 PM
Tasting [email protected] Wine 0 05-02-2005 07:52 PM
Tasting in Jacksonville, FL Bill Loftin Wine 1 23-11-2004 02:24 PM
Vintage Beer Tasting (no tasting notes, tho') [email protected] Beer 0 04-11-2004 08:21 PM