Posted to alt.food.wine

Default wondering about reidel o wine glasses

I have bought Reidel o wine glasses in 4 sizes.
Basically
Pinot Noir/Nebbiolo
Chianti
Cab Sauv/Merlot
Shiraz

If I wanted to use one of the above 4 sizes, I'm wondering what would be
suit a Malbec. I'm guessing Cab Sauv - perhaps Shiraz?

Thanks.
Dee Dee

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Sun, 14 Feb 2010 18:51:59 -0500, "Dee Dovey" >
wrote:

>I have bought Reidel o wine glasses in 4 sizes.
>Basically
>Pinot Noir/Nebbiolo
>Chianti
>Cab Sauv/Merlot
>Shiraz
>
>If I wanted to use one of the above 4 sizes, I'm wondering what would be
>suit a Malbec. I'm guessing Cab Sauv - perhaps Shiraz?
>
>Thanks.
>Dee Dee

This sort of thing gets in the way of enjoyment! I thought Cab at
first but think maybe on balance Shiraz. Personally I think it is all
too much refinement. :=)
Joseph Coulter
Joseph Coulter Cruises and Vacations
www.josephcoulter.com
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Feb 14, 6:51*pm, "Dee Dovey" > wrote:
> I have bought Reidel o wine glasses in 4 sizes.
> Basically
> Pinot Noir/Nebbiolo
> Chianti
> Cab Sauv/Merlot
> Shiraz
>
> If I wanted to use one of the above 4 sizes, I'm wondering what would be
> suit a Malbec. *I'm guessing Cab Sauv - perhaps Shiraz?
>
> Thanks.
> Dee Dee

I wouldn't stress over things like this. I keep Bordeaux, Burgundy,
Riesling/Rose, Chardonnay, and Champagne glasses handy, but drink lots
of other kinds of wine, and just guess what's closest. As Malbec is
historically a part of Bordeaux blends, I'd go with the CS/Merlot
glass in your case.
But really don't worry about it - I've drunk a lot of Bordeaux from
Burg stems (and vice versa).
Posted to alt.food.wine

"DaleW" > wrote in message
On Feb 14, 6:51 pm, "Dee Dovey" > wrote:
> I have bought Reidel o wine glasses in 4 sizes.
> Basically
> Pinot Noir/Nebbiolo
> Chianti
> Cab Sauv/Merlot
> Shiraz
>
> If I wanted to use one of the above 4 sizes, I'm wondering what would be
> suit a Malbec. I'm guessing Cab Sauv - perhaps Shiraz?
>
> Thanks.
> Dee Dee

I wouldn't stress over things like this. I keep Bordeaux, Burgundy,
Riesling/Rose, Chardonnay, and Champagne glasses handy, but drink lots
of other kinds of wine, and just guess what's closest. As Malbec is
historically a part of Bordeaux blends, I'd go with the CS/Merlot
glass in your case.
But really don't worry about it - I've drunk a lot of Bordeaux from
Burg stems (and vice versa).

Yes, I have plenty of other glasses, too - not stressing :-))

Great answer: "As Malbec is
historically a part of Bordeaux blends, I'd go with the CS/Merlot
glass in your case."

I'll go with that.
Thanks for your reply; my appreciation.
Dee Dee

Posted to alt.food.wine

"Dee Dovey" > wrote in message ...
|I have bought Reidel o wine glasses in 4 sizes.
| Basically
| Pinot Noir/Nebbiolo
| Chianti
| Cab Sauv/Merlot
| Shiraz
|
| If I wanted to use one of the above 4 sizes, I'm wondering what would be
| suit a Malbec. I'm guessing Cab Sauv - perhaps Shiraz?
|
| Thanks.
| Dee Dee

Beyond which, don't you have the excellent opportunity to
find out for your own tastes? Grab a decent Malbec, fill each of the
four glasses with some of it, and taste them against each other.
You didn't say which or wherefrom Malbec; the good Argentinean
are considerably different (and to my tastes better) from the
French Malbecs (Cahors and whatever.) I love Malbec and am
very interested in what you come up with; my bet would be
the Shiraz if Argentine, cab if French. Do tell...

pavane

Posted to alt.food.wine

> On Feb 14, 6:51 pm, "Dee Dovey" > wrote:
>> I have bought Reidel o wine glasses in 4 sizes.
>> Basically
>> Pinot Noir/Nebbiolo
>> Chianti
>> Cab Sauv/Merlot
>> Shiraz

Are they better than Riedel glassses?

Anders

PS: Very different pronunciation... :-)

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Sun, 14 Feb 2010 23:11:05 -0500, "pavane"
> wrote:

>"Dee Dovey" > wrote in message ...
>|I have bought Reidel o wine glasses in 4 sizes.
>| Basically
>| Pinot Noir/Nebbiolo
>| Chianti
>| Cab Sauv/Merlot
>| Shiraz
>|
>| If I wanted to use one of the above 4 sizes, I'm wondering what would be
>| suit a Malbec. I'm guessing Cab Sauv - perhaps Shiraz?
>|
>| Thanks.
>| Dee Dee
>
>Beyond which, don't you have the excellent opportunity to
>find out for your own tastes? Grab a decent Malbec, fill each of the
>four glasses with some of it, and taste them against each other.
>You didn't say which or wherefrom Malbec; the good Argentinean
>are considerably different (and to my tastes better) from the
>French Malbecs (Cahors and whatever.) I love Malbec and am
>very interested in what you come up with; my bet would be
>the Shiraz if Argentine, cab if French. Do tell...
>
>pavane

That is what I was thinking in my response. Malbec is a blending wine
France but where it is the primary grape it is bigger thean Cab Sauv.

For that matter Cab from CA and Bordeaux just don't seem to fit in the
same glass, as it were, either.

Posted to alt.food.wine

On 02/15/2010 01:35 PM, Joseph Coulter wrote:
[]
> That is what I was thinking in my response. Malbec is a blending wine
> France but where it is the primary grape it is bigger thean Cab Sauv.

Hi Joe,

I'm sure you know, but Malbec is used as a primary grape in many Cahors,
and also in the Loire (Touraine principally) where it is known as Cot.

Just to clear up a point...

> For that matter Cab from CA and Bordeaux just don't seem to fit in the
> same glass, as it were, either.

Never mix 'em.

-E
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Mon, 15 Feb 2010 14:26:10 +0100, Emery Davis
> wrote:

>On 02/15/2010 01:35 PM, Joseph Coulter wrote:
>[]
>> That is what I was thinking in my response. Malbec is a blending wine
>> France but where it is the primary grape it is bigger thean Cab Sauv.
>>

>Hi Joe,
>
>I'm sure you know, but Malbec is used as a primary grape in many Cahors,
>and also in the Loire (Touraine principally) where it is known as Cot.
>
>Just to clear up a point...
>
>> For that matter Cab from CA and Bordeaux just don't seem to fit in the
>> same glass, as it were, either.
>>

>Never mix 'em.
>
>-E

OOPS, that is what I meant in "where it is the primary" and of course
I have this perception that there is a huge difference in Cahors and
Touraine wines made from Malbec/Cot- when last did you hear of the
black wines of Tours?
Posted to alt.food.wine

"pavane" > wrote in message

> "Dee Dovey" > wrote in message
> |I have bought Reidel o wine glasses in 4 sizes.
> | Basically
> | Pinot Noir/Nebbiolo
> | Chianti
> | Cab Sauv/Merlot
> | Shiraz
> |
> | If I wanted to use one of the above 4 sizes, I'm wondering what would be
> | suit a Malbec. I'm guessing Cab Sauv - perhaps Shiraz?
> |
> | Thanks.
> | Dee Dee
>
> Beyond which, don't you have the excellent opportunity to
> find out for your own tastes? Grab a decent Malbec, fill each of the
> four glasses with some of it, and taste them against each other.
> You didn't say which or wherefrom Malbec; the good Argentinean
> are considerably different (and to my tastes better) from the
> French Malbecs (Cahors and whatever.) I love Malbec and am
> very interested in what you come up with; my bet would be
> the Shiraz if Argentine, cab if French. Do tell...
>
> pavane

Thanks for the suggestion. Drinking the last Malbec I had, from Argentina,
I will wait until I purchase the next bottle to do the test.

Looking in the kitchen at the unwashed glasses, I see that I must have used
a 'generic' wine glass; hence my query to this list.

Thanks again. Good advice.
Dee Dee

Posted to alt.food.wine

Dee wrote on Mon, 15 Feb 2010 09:58:52 -0500:

> "pavane" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Dee Dovey" > wrote in message

> |> I have bought Reidel o wine glasses in 4 sizes.
> |> Basically
> |> Pinot Noir/Nebbiolo
> |> Chianti
> |> Cab Sauv/Merlot
> |> Shiraz
> what would be suit a Malbec. I'm guessing Cab Sauv -
> |> perhaps Shiraz?
> |> Dee Dee
>>
>> Beyond which, don't you have the excellent opportunity to
>> find out for your own tastes? Grab a decent Malbec, fill
>> each of the four glasses with some of it, and taste them
>> against each other. You didn't say which or wherefrom Malbec;
>> the good Argentinean are considerably different (and to my
>> tastes better) from the French Malbecs (Cahors and whatever.)
>> I love Malbec and am very interested in what you come up
>> with; my bet would be the Shiraz if Argentine, cab if French.
>> Do tell...
>>
>> pavane
>>

> Thanks for the suggestion. Drinking the last Malbec I had,
> from Argentina, I will wait until I purchase the next bottle
> to do the test.

> Looking in the kitchen at the unwashed glasses, I see that I
> must have used a 'generic' wine glass; hence my query to this list.

I would endorse the "generic" wine glass for drinking with meals and I
do like thin, undistorted glasses but I find the two sizes that I have,
6 oz and 5 oz, are entirely adequate, apart from some small glasses for
dessert wines like sherry. I don't always worry about which size I use
but I will see to it that all guests have the same size. I admit that I
do sometimes drink red wines to enjoy by themselves and I have a few 14
oz glasses to have a large air space above the wine to savor the flavor.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to alt.food.wine

On 02/15/2010 03:17 PM, Joseph Coulter wrote:
> On Mon, 15 Feb 2010 14:26:10 +0100, Emery Davis
> > wrote:
>
>> On 02/15/2010 01:35 PM, Joseph Coulter wrote:
>> []
>>> That is what I was thinking in my response. Malbec is a blending wine
>>> France but where it is the primary grape it is bigger thean Cab Sauv.
>>>

>> Hi Joe,
>>
>> I'm sure you know, but Malbec is used as a primary grape in many Cahors,
>> and also in the Loire (Touraine principally) where it is known as Cot.
>>
>> Just to clear up a point...
>>
>>> For that matter Cab from CA and Bordeaux just don't seem to fit in the
>>> same glass, as it were, either.
>>>

>> Never mix 'em.
>>
>> -E

> OOPS, that is what I meant in "where it is the primary" and of course
> I have this perception that there is a huge difference in Cahors and
> Touraine wines made from Malbec/Cot- when last did you hear of the
> black wines of Tours?

I like it: "The Black Wine of Tours." Hehe. (Sorry for the misread.)

-E
Posted to alt.food.wine

On 15/02/2010 04:11, pavane wrote:

> Beyond which, don't you have the excellent opportunity to
> find out for your own tastes? Grab a decent Malbec, fill each of the
> four glasses with some of it, and taste them against each other.

And if I really cared about matching glasses and wine, I'd do that for
every wine I drank irrespective of the names Riedel happen to slap on
the glasses. I find impossible to believe that the Bordeaux glass or
Cab Sauv glass is the best for ALL Bordeaux and Cab Sauv. The flavours
and aromatics can be so different in different examples.

(In fact I find thw whole Riedel glass-matching thing difficult to
believe too, but that is another story.)
Posted to alt.food.wine

Dee Dovey beliebte zu schreiben :
> I have bought Reidel o wine glasses in 4 sizes.

Just for the record:

The correct spelling is "Riedel", pronounced "reedle".

Helmut
--
Nach dera Zei'n kimmt nix mehr
Posted to alt.food.wine

"Helmut P. Einfalt" > wrote:

> Dee Dovey beliebte zu schreiben :

>> I have bought Reidel o wine glasses in 4 sizes.

> Just for the record:
>
> The correct spelling is "Riedel", pronounced "reedle".

Just in analogy to "riesling" pronounced "reezling".

But "ei" for "ie" in German words is a rather common typo among
native English speakers (is that correct?).

M.

Posted to alt.food.wine

"Michael Pronay" wrote ....................

>> The correct spelling is "Riedel", pronounced "reedle".

> Just in analogy to "riesling" pronounced "reezling".
>
> But "ei" for "ie" in German words is a rather common typo among
> native English speakers (is that correct?).

Only those people writing *American* English!!!!!!! ;-)

Those of us who speak / write proper English have no such problem.

StH
Posted to alt.food.wine

"st.helier" > wrote:

>>> The correct spelling is "Riedel", pronounced "reedle".

>> Just in analogy to "riesling" pronounced "reezling".
>>
>> But "ei" for "ie" in German words is a rather common typo among
>> native English speakers (is that correct?).

> Only those people writing *American* English!!!!!!! ;-)

Ooops - sorry, didn't realize that!

> Those of us who speak / write proper English have no such
> problem.

I beg your pardon, I stand corrected.

M.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On 2/16/10 5:50 AM, Michael Pronay wrote:

>>> Just in analogy to "riesling" pronounced "reezling".
>>>
>>> But "ei" for "ie" in German words is a rather common typo among
>>> native English speakers (is that correct?).

>> Only those people writing *American* English!!!!!!! ;-)

> Ooops - sorry, didn't realize that!
>
>> Those of us who speak / write proper English have no such
>> problem.

> I beg your pardon, I stand corrected.
>
> M.

Michael,
I've always found the ie/ei transposition baffling, myself. Students
of English usually are drilled with the rubric: "i before e except after
c" because ie is in fact more common than ei.

Oh, well...
Mark Lipton

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Feb 16, 10:10*am, Mark Lipton > wrote:

> >> Only those people writing *American* English!!!!!!! ;-)

> > Ooops - sorry, didn't realize that!

> >> Those of us who speak / write proper English have no such
> >> problem.

> > I beg your pardon, I stand corrected.

> > M.

> Michael,
> * *I've always found the ie/ei transposition baffling, myself. *Students
> of English usually are drilled with the rubric: "i before e except after
> c" because ie is in fact more common than ei.
>
> Oh, well...
> Mark Lipton
>
> --
> alt.food.wine FAQ: *http://winefaq.cwdjr.net

It is weird all right.

As to the assertion that it's only Americans, I just took a minute to
search the UK Drinks forum for Reidel and Reisling, lots of hits from
each (I checked to make sure not all from interloping Americans, the
first hit for Reidel was from Sussex and for Reisling Essex).
Posted to alt.food.wine

"Michael Pronay" wrote .......

>>> Just in analogy to "riesling" pronounced "reezling".
>>>
>>> But "ei" for "ie" in German words is a rather common typo among
>>> native English speakers (is that correct?).

>> Only those people writing *American* English!!!!!!! ;-)

> Ooops - sorry, didn't realize that!

^^^^^^

You do realise that *realize* is another Americanism - and not *proper*
English???

;-)))

st.h

Posted to alt.food.wine

On 2/16/10 11:18 AM, st.helier wrote:

> You do realise that *realize* is another Americanism - and not *proper*
> English???

Milud,
While we've got your attention (and while we're engaging in a bit of
jingoistic teasing) might I ask: WTF is going on in the America's Cup
competition? It's not entirely surprising that US can win one once in a
while, but really... Switzerland, a landlocked country? And where are
the Kiwis in all this?

Just askin'
Mark Lipton

Posted to alt.food.wine

st.helier wrote on Wed, 17 Feb 2010 05:18:47 +1300:

> "Michael Pronay" wrote .......

>>> Only those people writing *American* English!!!!!!! ;-)

>> Ooops - sorry, didn't realize that!

> ^^^^^^

> You do realise that *realize* is another Americanism - and not
> *proper* English???

> ;-)))

I'm afraid, Milord, that proper English is that of the majority and
guess who they are! :-)

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to alt.food.wine

Default America's Cup Mostly OT

"Mark Lipton" asked of His Lordship......

> Milud,
> While we've got your attention (and while we're engaging in a bit of
> jingoistic teasing) might I ask: WTF is going on in the America's Cup
> competition? It's not entirely surprising that US can win one once in a
> while, but really... Switzerland, a landlocked country? And where are the
> Kiwis in all this?
>
> Just askin'

Long story - I am not totally surprised that you (and 99.9% of Americans)
have absolutely no idea what is going on!

Holder (Alinghi of Switzerland) - crewed by mainly NZers, lured by Swiss
billionaire Ernesto Bertarelli's million Euro pay cheques (checks to you
:-))) - attempted to change the 160year old rules of the contest.

Larry Ellison (software magnate squillionaire) took the case to the NY
Supreme Court (final arbiter as set down in the original Deed of Gift)

After spending something like $50M each on legal bitching, a regatta was
ordered (by the aforementioned NY Supreme Court) - comprising two only
competitors, sailing on racing multihulls - each costing in the order of
another $50M - to the exclusion of all other challengers.

So, Larry Ellison's BMW Oracle (with NZer Russell Coutts as CEO) won the
race(s) 2 - 0 - as sailed in Valencia, Spain - and the America's Cup is on
it's way to San Francisco.

Hopefully, Mr Ellison will now let a true, multi-challenger regatta to
commence - probably in 3 - 4 years.

Sorry about the long convoluted explanation - but this has been a case of
two ultra-rich kids, each wanting to "own" sports oldest trophy - where
*sport* never entered the equation.

So, champagne flowed for the Oracle crew - sour grapes for the Swiss (ex)
holder - and flat beer for all other wanna-be racers.

Went sailing myself last weekend - air temp 30degrC - water temp 23degrC -
was thinking about you guys up to your "you-know-whats" in snow.

Cheers

A B

Posted to alt.food.wine

"DaleW" wrote.....
<
< As to the assertion that it's only Americans, I just took a minute
< to search the UK Drinks forum for Reidel and Reisling, lots of hits
< from each (I checked to make sure not all from interloping Americans,
> the first hit for Reidel was from Sussex and for Reisling Essex).

That would be Sussex NJ and Essex VT - Right!!!!

:-)))))))))

st.h
Posted to alt.food.wine

"st.helier" > wrote:

>> Ooops - sorry, didn't realize that!

> ^^^^^^^
>
> You do realise that *realize* is another Americanism - and not
> *proper* English???

No Sir, sorry. My English has been called "mid-atlantic" by leading
linguistic authorities.

M.

Posted to alt.food.wine

On 2/17/10 1:52 AM, st.helier wrote:

> Holder (Alinghi of Switzerland) - crewed by mainly NZers, lured by Swiss
> billionaire Ernesto Bertarelli's million Euro pay cheques (checks to you
> :-))) - attempted to change the 160year old rules of the contest.
>
> Larry Ellison (software magnate squillionaire) took the case to the NY
> Supreme Court (final arbiter as set down in the original Deed of Gift)

Yes, I heard about that kerfuffle.

> After spending something like $50M each on legal bitching, a regatta was
> ordered (by the aforementioned NY Supreme Court) - comprising two only
> competitors, sailing on racing multihulls - each costing in the order of
> another $50M - to the exclusion of all other challengers.

Aha! Didn't catch that aspect of the story.

> So, Larry Ellison's BMW Oracle (with NZer Russell Coutts as CEO) won the
> race(s) 2 - 0 - as sailed in Valencia, Spain - and the America's Cup is
> on it's way to San Francisco.
>
> Hopefully, Mr Ellison will now let a true, multi-challenger regatta to
> commence - probably in 3 - 4 years.
>
> Sorry about the long convoluted explanation - but this has been a case
> of two ultra-rich kids, each wanting to "own" sports oldest trophy -
> where *sport* never entered the equation.

Which probably goes a long way toward explaining why it didn't get more
play in the press, though. Rich kids squabbling isn't newsworthy unless
some salacious details come forth.

All the best to you,
Mark Lipton

Two Glasses of Wine Richard Neidich Wine 3 31-08-2007 12:52 PM
Newbee... wondering about wine sediment Ginger Wine 2 27-10-2004 09:05 PM
wine glasses boobldo Wine 0 10-05-2004 06:57 AM
Reidel Glasses With BYOB Fred Wine 8 20-02-2004 10:03 PM
Wine glasses? Eric lee Wine 9 04-02-2004 01:54 AM