Old 16-02-2010, 09:42 AM posted to alt.food.wine

Default wondering about reidel o wine glasses

"Michael Pronay" wrote ....................

The correct spelling is "Riedel", pronounced "reedle".

Just in analogy to "riesling" pronounced "reezling".

But "ei" for "ie" in German words is a rather common typo among
native English speakers (is that correct?).

Only those people writing *American* English!!!!!!! ;-)

Those of us who speak / write proper English have no such problem.

StH

Old 16-02-2010, 10:50 AM posted to alt.food.wine

"st.helier" wrote:

The correct spelling is "Riedel", pronounced "reedle".

Just in analogy to "riesling" pronounced "reezling".

But "ei" for "ie" in German words is a rather common typo among
native English speakers (is that correct?).

Only those people writing *American* English!!!!!!! ;-)

Ooops - sorry, didn't realize that!

Those of us who speak / write proper English have no such
problem.

I beg your pardon, I stand corrected.

M.
Old 16-02-2010, 03:10 PM posted to alt.food.wine

On 2/16/10 5:50 AM, Michael Pronay wrote:
wrote:

The correct spelling is "Riedel", pronounced "reedle".

Just in analogy to "riesling" pronounced "reezling".

But "ei" for "ie" in German words is a rather common typo among
native English speakers (is that correct?).

Only those people writing *American* English!!!!!!! ;-)

Ooops - sorry, didn't realize that!

Those of us who speak / write proper English have no such
problem.

I beg your pardon, I stand corrected.

M.

Michael,
I've always found the ie/ei transposition baffling, myself. Students
of English usually are drilled with the rubric: "i before e except after
c" because ie is in fact more common than ei.

Oh, well...
Mark Lipton

Old 16-02-2010, 03:57 PM posted to alt.food.wine

--
alt.food.wine FAQ: *http://winefaq.cwdjr.net

It is weird all right.

As to the assertion that it's only Americans, I just took a minute to
search the UK Drinks forum for Reidel and Reisling, lots of hits from
each (I checked to make sure not all from interloping Americans, the
first hit for Reidel was from Sussex and for Reisling Essex).
Old 16-02-2010, 04:18 PM posted to alt.food.wine

"Michael Pronay" wrote .......

The correct spelling is "Riedel", pronounced "reedle".

Just in analogy to "riesling" pronounced "reezling".

But "ei" for "ie" in German words is a rather common typo among
native English speakers (is that correct?).

Only those people writing *American* English!!!!!!! ;-)

Ooops - sorry, didn't realize that!

^^^^^^

You do realise that *realize* is another Americanism - and not *proper*
English???

;-)))

st.h

Old 16-02-2010, 06:10 PM posted to alt.food.wine

On 2/16/10 11:18 AM, st.helier wrote:

You do realise that *realize* is another Americanism - and not *proper*
English???

Milud,
While we've got your attention (and while we're engaging in a bit of
jingoistic teasing) might I ask: WTF is going on in the America's Cup
competition? It's not entirely surprising that US can win one once in a
while, but really... Switzerland, a landlocked country? And where are
the Kiwis in all this?

Just askin'
Mark Lipton

Old 16-02-2010, 08:03 PM posted to alt.food.wine

st.helier wrote on Wed, 17 Feb 2010 05:18:47 +1300:

"Michael Pronay" wrote .......

The correct spelling is "Riedel", pronounced "reedle".

Just in analogy to "riesling" pronounced "reezling".

But "ei" for "ie" in German words is a rather common typo
among native English speakers (is that correct?).

Only those people writing *American* English!!!!!!! ;-)

Ooops - sorry, didn't realize that!

^^^^^^

You do realise that *realize* is another Americanism - and not
*proper* English???

;-)))

I'm afraid, Milord, that proper English is that of the majority and
guess who they are! :-)

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Old 17-02-2010, 06:52 AM posted to alt.food.wine

Default America's Cup Mostly OT

"Mark Lipton" asked of His Lordship......

Milud,
While we've got your attention (and while we're engaging in a bit of
jingoistic teasing) might I ask: WTF is going on in the America's Cup
competition? It's not entirely surprising that US can win one once in a
while, but really... Switzerland, a landlocked country? And where are the
Kiwis in all this?

Just askin'

Long story - I am not totally surprised that you (and 99.9% of Americans)
have absolutely no idea what is going on!

Holder (Alinghi of Switzerland) - crewed by mainly NZers, lured by Swiss
billionaire Ernesto Bertarelli's million Euro pay cheques (checks to you
:-))) - attempted to change the 160year old rules of the contest.

Larry Ellison (software magnate squillionaire) took the case to the NY
Supreme Court (final arbiter as set down in the original Deed of Gift)

After spending something like $50M each on legal bitching, a regatta was
ordered (by the aforementioned NY Supreme Court) - comprising two only
competitors, sailing on racing multihulls - each costing in the order of
another $50M - to the exclusion of all other challengers.

So, Larry Ellison's BMW Oracle (with NZer Russell Coutts as CEO) won the
race(s) 2 - 0 - as sailed in Valencia, Spain - and the America's Cup is on
it's way to San Francisco.

Hopefully, Mr Ellison will now let a true, multi-challenger regatta to
commence - probably in 3 - 4 years.

Sorry about the long convoluted explanation - but this has been a case of
two ultra-rich kids, each wanting to "own" sports oldest trophy - where
*sport* never entered the equation.

So, champagne flowed for the Oracle crew - sour grapes for the Swiss (ex)
holder - and flat beer for all other wanna-be racers.

Went sailing myself last weekend - air temp 30degrC - water temp 23degrC -
was thinking about you guys up to your "you-know-whats" in snow.

Cheers

A B

Old 17-02-2010, 06:59 AM posted to alt.food.wine

"DaleW" wrote.....

As to the assertion that it's only Americans, I just took a minute
to search the UK Drinks forum for Reidel and Reisling, lots of hits
from each (I checked to make sure not all from interloping Americans,
the first hit for Reidel was from Sussex and for Reisling Essex).

That would be Sussex NJ and Essex VT - Right!!!!

:-)))))))))

st.h
Old 17-02-2010, 08:26 AM posted to alt.food.wine

"st.helier" wrote:

Ooops - sorry, didn't realize that!

^^^^^^^

You do realise that *realize* is another Americanism - and not
*proper* English???

No Sir, sorry. My English has been called "mid-atlantic" by leading
linguistic authorities.

M.

Old 18-02-2010, 08:10 PM posted to alt.food.wine

On 2/17/10 1:52 AM, st.helier wrote:

Holder (Alinghi of Switzerland) - crewed by mainly NZers, lured by Swiss
billionaire Ernesto Bertarelli's million Euro pay cheques (checks to you
:-))) - attempted to change the 160year old rules of the contest.

Larry Ellison (software magnate squillionaire) took the case to the NY
Supreme Court (final arbiter as set down in the original Deed of Gift)

Yes, I heard about that kerfuffle.

After spending something like $50M each on legal bitching, a regatta was
ordered (by the aforementioned NY Supreme Court) - comprising two only
competitors, sailing on racing multihulls - each costing in the order of
another $50M - to the exclusion of all other challengers.

Aha! Didn't catch that aspect of the story.

So, Larry Ellison's BMW Oracle (with NZer Russell Coutts as CEO) won the
race(s) 2 - 0 - as sailed in Valencia, Spain - and the America's Cup is
on it's way to San Francisco.

Hopefully, Mr Ellison will now let a true, multi-challenger regatta to
commence - probably in 3 - 4 years.

Sorry about the long convoluted explanation - but this has been a case
of two ultra-rich kids, each wanting to "own" sports oldest trophy -
where *sport* never entered the equation.

Which probably goes a long way toward explaining why it didn't get more
play in the press, though. Rich kids squabbling isn't newsworthy unless
some salacious details come forth.

All the best to you,
Mark Lipton

Two Glasses of Wine Richard Neidich Wine 3 31-08-2007 12:52 PM
Newbee... wondering about wine sediment Ginger Wine 2 27-10-2004 09:05 PM
wine glasses boobldo Wine 0 10-05-2004 06:57 AM
Reidel Glasses With BYOB Fred Wine 8 20-02-2004 10:03 PM
Wine glasses? Eric lee Wine 9 04-02-2004 01:54 AM