Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: 2 good wines, neither exactly what I expected (MSR, Gevrey)

For the first time in several days I felt I could really smell
Saturday, and looked forward to dinner. While Betsy cooked I opened an
apertif, the 2008 Gunther Steinmetz Riesling. Without any further
descriptor, I expected a Mosel QbA to be off-dry, but this was pretty
dry. Lemon, ginger, a little green pea. Pleasant, light-bodied, not
especially long but pretty good value at $13/liter (CSW with
discount). B-/B

Dinner was a braised chuck pot roast, with mashed potatoes and roasted
kale. Wine was the 2001 Dujac Pere and Fils Gevrey-Chambertin. This
negociant Gevrey had nice sweet sappy black fruit, accented with just
a hint of sandalwood. Really lovely Pinot Noir. The one thing that
seemed to be missing for me was any real soil tones. My mental image
of Gevrey seems to center on earth, and I just wasn't finding that
here. Still, good acidity, some easy tannins, fine fruit, quite a nice
wine. B+/B

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an
excellent*wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I
wouldn't*drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I
offer no*promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of
consistency.**
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Feb 7, 12:25�pm, DaleW > wrote:
> For the first time in several days I felt I could really smell
> Saturday, and looked forward to dinner. While Betsy cooked I opened an
> apertif, the 2008 Gunther Steinmetz Riesling. Without any further
> descriptor, I expected a Mosel QbA to be off-dry, but this was pretty
> dry. Lemon, ginger, a little green pea. Pleasant, light-bodied, not
> especially long but pretty good value at $13/liter (CSW with
> discount). B-/B
>
> Dinner was a braised chuck pot roast, with mashed potatoes and roasted
> kale. Wine was the 2001 Dujac Pere and Fils Gevrey-Chambertin. This
> negociant Gevrey had nice sweet sappy black fruit, accented with just
> a hint of sandalwood. Really lovely Pinot Noir. The one thing that
> seemed to be missing for me was any real soil tones. My mental image
> of Gevrey seems to center on earth, and I just wasn't finding that
> here. Still, good acidity, some easy tannins, fine fruit, quite a nice
> wine. B+/B
>
> Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an
> excellent�wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I
> wouldn't�drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I
> offer no�promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of
> consistency.��

Dujac is a personal favorite of mine. Your discription is consistant
with my experience with Dujac's style. I typically find a lot of
black fruits and a deep sappy note in most of their wines.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Feb 7, 12:32*pm, "Bi!!" > wrote:
> On Feb 7, 12:25 pm, DaleW > wrote:
>

> > For the first time in several days I felt I could really smell
> > Saturday, and looked forward to dinner. While Betsy cooked I opened an
> > apertif, the 2008 Gunther Steinmetz Riesling. Without any further
> > descriptor, I expected a Mosel QbA to be off-dry, but this was pretty
> > dry. Lemon, ginger, a little green pea. Pleasant, light-bodied, not
> > especially long but pretty good value at $13/liter (CSW with
> > discount). B-/B

> > Dinner was a braised chuck pot roast, with mashed potatoes and roasted
> > kale. Wine was the 2001 Dujac Pere and Fils Gevrey-Chambertin. This
> > negociant Gevrey had nice sweet sappy black fruit, accented with just
> > a hint of sandalwood. Really lovely Pinot Noir. The one thing that
> > seemed to be missing for me was any real soil tones. My mental image
> > of Gevrey seems to center on earth, and I just wasn't finding that
> > here. Still, good acidity, some easy tannins, fine fruit, quite a nice
> > wine. B+/B

> > Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an
> > excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I
> > wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I
> > offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of
> > consistency.

> Dujac is a personal favorite of mine. *Your discription is consistant
> with my experience with Dujac's style. *I typically find a lot of
> black fruits and a deep sappy note in most of their wines.

I can't drink Dujac as often as I wish, but the sappiness and slightly
exotic note are what I think of. This negociant wine was really nice,
but didn't seem to have quite the sense of place of the domaine wines.