FoodBanter.com

-   -   TN: 9 blind Rhones, see how... (https://www.foodbanter.com/wine/393702-tn-9-blind-rhones.html)

DaleW 06-02-2010 07:41 PM

TN: 9 blind Rhones, see how...

Last night was my local wine group, I thought about cancelling due to
cold but was feeling a bit better, so decided to go. I almost forgot
to carry my wine, but made it to Alex's with wrapped bottle in hand.

Theme was Rhone. Fred had brought along a white starter (all wines
were blind). He said it was on theme and single variety. . Medium to
full bodied, floral aromatics but not musky/exotic like Viognier,
decent acidity, my first guess was Marsanne, secound Roussanne.
2008 Cuilleron Roussanne VdP. B

We sat at table, Alex had a nice spread with venison pate, sausages,
bundnerfleisch, cheeses, etc. Fred's red went first:

Wine #1
Dark berries, meat, a little olive. Really nice. Fresh, good acidity,
pretty clearly Northern Rhone. I guess St Joseph, am told correct,
guess Gonon, I nailed it. Sounds pretty impressive, doesn't it?
Actually more social engineering than impressive tasting. Once I
determined Northern rather than Southern, I guessed that with price
range we usually go in less likely to be Cote Rotie or Hermitage, St
Jo seems a good midlevel way to go. Once that's established, I know
Fred enjoyed the "les Iles Feray" I suspected he might have gone with
Gonon. If it hadn't been Fred's wine I think I would have been less
"accurate. " 2006 Gonon St. Joseph A-

Wine #2
Sweet, a tad jammy, sweet, I am immediately in South, and say either
CdP or Gigondas, probably former. Black cherries, red fruits, a little
smoke. Low acid but with ok fresh finish. It's the 2007 Roger Perrin
Chateauneuf du Pape. B

Wine #3
At first I thought Syrah, but then it seemed to get more red fruit
Grenache tones. Nice earth and herb notes. Slightly austere/tannic
finish. Nice midweight wine. 2006 Mordoree Lirac B/B+

(about here, I hit the floor. Literally. As I leaned to hand a bottle
to Roger, my chair collapsed. Marc said "you know, I think that's the
5th time I've seen that here." Alex says "yes, we really shouldn't
have people sit in that old chair." When I tell Betsy this AM, she
relates it happened to her at a dinner last year- I had forgotten.
Alex is a great host, but in a house with many chairs the delicate
ones shouldn't be at table!).

Wine #4
I liked this, but (incorrectly) went Southern Rhone (specifically
Gigondas). Low acid, red fruit, sweet edge, lots of damp earth, nice
finish. Somehow I forgot to write down producer of this 2006 Crozes
Hermitage, will ask Alex to check recycling. B/B+

Wine #5
Ripe, slightly jammy,leather. OK, I still think we're in South, but
seems a bit less exuberant than CdP. Alex says it's a small
appellation, I guess *Vacqueyras, but it's the 2006 La Bouissiere
Gigondas. B

Wine #6
No guessing as it's mine. Still a little cool. Nice midweight Syrah,
black fruit, bacon, leather. Fresh acidity, some ripe tannins. I think
everyone is in North. 2001 Duclaux Cote Rotie. B+

Wine #7
Somewhat grapey, good acidity and a little hint of spritz, fresh fruit
flavors, maybe a tad short. 2007 La Grand Poiloe Cotes du Rhone . B

Wine #8
2006 Mordoree Lirac
Herbs, cherries and pomegranite, some tannins. Turns out we have a
second bottle of the Mordoree Lirac. B

Nice night with the guys, despite my cold.

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an
excellent*wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I
wouldn't*drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I
offer no*promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of
consistency.**

Bi!! 07-02-2010 01:38 PM

TN: 9 blind Rhones, see how...

On Feb 6, 2:41�pm, DaleW > wrote:
> [...]
> No guessing as it's mine. Still a little cool. Nice midweight Syrah,
> black fruit, bacon, leather. Fresh acidity, some ripe tannins. I think
> everyone is in North. 2001 Duclaux Cote Rotie. B+
>
> Wine #7
> Somewhat grapey, good acidity and a little hint of spritz, fresh fruit
> flavors, maybe a tad short. 2007 La Grand Poiloe Cotes du Rhone . B
>
> Wine #8
> 2006 Mordoree Lirac
> Herbs, cherries and pomegranite, some tannins. Turns out we have a
> second bottle of the Mordoree Lirac. B
>
> Nice night with the guys, despite my cold.
>
> Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an
> excellent�wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I
> wouldn't�drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I
> offer no�promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of

Did you save the wine when the chair collapsed?

Godzilla Lizard 07-02-2010 01:46 PM

TN: 9 blind Rhones, see how...

On Sat, 06 Feb 2010 11:41:33 -0800, DaleW wrote:

> (about here, I hit the floor. Literally. As I leaned to hand a bottle to
> Roger, my chair collapsed. Marc said "you know, I think that's the 5th
> time I've seen that here." Alex says "yes, we really shouldn't have
> people sit in that old chair." When I tell Betsy this AM, she relates it
> happened to her at a dinner last year- I had forgotten. Alex is a great
> host, but in a house with many chairs the delicate ones shouldn't be at
> table!).

It reminds me of a time some years back when my spouse and I were staying
at an"El Cheapo" motel in Winnemucca, NV. One must remember that the
humidity in Northern Nevada is always VERY low. At the time, she was
around 90 lbs. When she sat down on one of the chairs, it collapsed under
her - all the glued joints has shrunk so dramatically that they were on
the verge of parting company. Fortunately, she was not injured. However,
I made certain that the management did not bill me for a chair. ;-)

Godzilla

Anders Tørneskog 07-02-2010 02:25 PM

TN: 9 blind Rhones, see how...

"Godzilla Lizard" > skrev i melding > I made certain
that the management did not bill me for a chair. ;-)

So you didn't have to make a chairity donation?

:-) Anders

DaleW 07-02-2010 05:25 PM

TN: 9 blind Rhones, see how...

On Feb 7, 8:38*am, "Bi!!" > wrote:
> [...]

> > black fruit, bacon, leather. Fresh acidity, some ripe tannins. I think
> > everyone is in North. 2001 Duclaux Cote Rotie. B+

> > Wine #7
> > Somewhat grapey, good acidity and a little hint of spritz, fresh fruit
> > flavors, maybe a tad short. 2007 La Grand Poiloe Cotes du Rhone . B

> > Wine #8
> > 2006 Mordoree Lirac
> > Herbs, cherries and pomegranite, some tannins. Turns out we have a
> > second bottle of the Mordoree Lirac. B

> > Nice night with the guys, despite my cold.

> > Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an
> > excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I
> > wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I
> > offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of
> > consistency.

> Did you save the wine when the chair collapsed?

Of course, I have some pride!

DaleW 08-02-2010 02:28 PM

TN: 9 blind Rhones, see how...

On Feb 6, 2:41*pm, DaleW > wrote:
> [...]
> No guessing as it's mine. Still a little cool. Nice midweight Syrah,
> black fruit, bacon, leather. Fresh acidity, some ripe tannins. I think
> everyone is in North. 2001 Duclaux Cote Rotie. B+
>
> Wine #7
> Somewhat grapey, good acidity and a little hint of spritz, fresh fruit
> flavors, maybe a tad short. 2007 La Grand Poiloe Cotes du Rhone . B
>
> Wine #8
> 2006 Mordoree Lirac
> Herbs, cherries and pomegranite, some tannins. Turns out we have a
> second bottle of the Mordoree Lirac. B
>
> Nice night with the guys, despite my cold.
>
> Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an
> excellent*wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I
> wouldn't*drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I
> offer no*promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of

The Crozes was Domaine Bernard Ange

Emery Davis[_3_] 09-02-2010 04:18 PM

TN: 9 blind Rhones, see how...

On 02/06/2010 08:41 PM, DaleW wrote:
> Wine #2
> Sweet, a tad jammy, sweet, I am immediately in South, and say either
> CdP or Gigondas, probably former. Black cherries, red fruits, a little
> smoke. Low acid but with ok fresh finish. It's the 2007 Roger Perrin
> Chateauneuf du Pape. B

I'm sorry to hear that this is getting sweet and jammy. I've not had
this one yet, but the 2007 CdR "Reserve" (which is made from many of the
same fields) is an excellent classic, with lots of smoke and tar,
a big backbone of kirsch and very limited jammy-ness.

I have for many years been a stout supporter of Roger Perrin, where the
wine maker has for some years been Luc Perrin. At some point Luc
appear to have acquired a wife (whom I haven't met) who now seems to
be taking a very active role in the business, presumably in replacement
of the elder Mme Perrin. (Madame does still write out the bills in
her immaculate and astonishing handwriting, a reminder of a former time
when penmanship was a primary scholastic value. Worth an order to get
the bill; really beautiful!) The younger Madame seems to have some
affinity for "le marketing," something I suspect strongly leaves Luc
indifferent, and brochures and new bottles have appeared.

I have noticed that the "regular" CdR has lightened in style,
approaching one of those drink-it-now vin de soif in 2008 which litter
the Rhone Valley. (It's better than that, but the style change is
pretty clear over the last few years.)

I hope we aren't seeing the hand of a consultant oenologue at work.

-E