FoodBanter.com

-   -   [TN] '08 Stony Hill Gewurz (https://www.foodbanter.com/wine/393547-tn-08-stony-hill.html)

Mark Lipton[_1_] 02-02-2010 05:00 AM

[TN] '08 Stony Hill Gewurz

Tonight, with a dinner of stir fried vegetables in black bean sauce, I
opened a bottle recently acquired from the winery:

2008 Stony Hill Dry Gewurztraminer (Napa)
nose: lychee, stones
palate: bone dry, good acidity, medium-light body

Brought back from our visit to Stony Hill over the holidays, this wine
is as dry an example of Gewurztraminer as one is ever likely to
encounter. Unlike some of the dry Gewurz's from CA that I've had,
though, this wine has little if any bitterness to the finish and has
just enough fruit in the core to complement the other flavors. Quite
unlike any Old World examples of the grape that I can call to mind, it
is quite appealing and a fair accompaniment to our dinner.

Mark Lipton