FoodBanter.com

-   -   TN: Another nice Riesling, but TCA claims the Rhone (https://www.foodbanter.com/wine/393028-tn-another-nice-riesling.html)

DaleW 16-01-2010 03:33 AM

TN: Another nice Riesling, but TCA claims the Rhone

With dry fried Szechuan beef, stirfried asparagus and garlic, and
rice, the 2007 Schloss Lieser Brauneberger Juffer-Sonnenuhr Spatlese.
Lovely, powerful but elegant, sweet citrus, bright apple, flowers, and
earth. Excellent length, awake and lively, slately minerality. I'm
dismayed to see I committed infantcide on my only bottle, but a very
nice effort from a producer barely on my radar. A-

Tonight Betsy used some Yellow Indian Woman beans she had gotten me at
Christmas as the base for cassoulet, using bacon, duck legs, and some
homemade Champagne sausages (pork and mushroom) from freezer. I eyed a
bottle of lesser Cahors, but brought up a Rhone, the 1999 Domaine de
Cristia Chateauneuf-du-Pape. Medium red fruit, resolved tannins, a
little earth. Hey, what was that- TCA? No, it's alright. Another
couple sips, this is a decent CdR masquerading as a CdP. Wait- I
thought I got a little damp cardboard again. Not there. Wait, maybe.
OK, I reluctantly come to the conclusion this this is mildly corked,
just at the threshold of my perception. Too bad.

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an
excellent*wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I
wouldn't*drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I
offer no*promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of
consistency.**

James Silverton[_4_] 16-01-2010 05:16 AM

DaleW wrote on Fri, 15 Jan 2010 19:33:49 -0800 (PST):

>With dry fried Szechuan beef, stirfried asparagus and garlic, and
>rice, the 2007 Schloss Lieser Brauneberger Juffer-Sonnenuhr Spatlese.
>Lovely, powerful but elegant, sweet citrus, bright apple, flowers, and
>earth.

Just in passing, I would mention stir-fried asparagus and water
chestnuts. It's a very good combination, even if it really needs fresh
water chestnuts, and would suit your menu. This slightly sweet sauce
works well.
2 tab mirin

2 tab mild soy sauce

1 tab grated ginger

1 chopped garlic

1 tab rice vinegar

1 tab corn starch

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

DaleW 16-01-2010 07:56 PM

TN: Another nice Riesling, but TCA claims the Rhone

On Jan 16, 12:16*am, "James Silverton" >
wrote:
> *DaleW *wrote *on Fri, 15 Jan 2010 19:33:49 -0800 (PST):
>
> >With dry fried Szechuan beef, stirfried asparagus and garlic, and
> >rice, the 2007 Schloss Lieser Brauneberger Juffer-Sonnenuhr Spatlese.
> >Lovely, powerful but elegant, sweet citrus, bright apple, flowers, and
> >earth.

> Just in passing, I would mention stir-fried asparagus and *water
> chestnuts. It's a very good combination, even if it really needs fresh
> water chestnuts, and would suit your menu. This slightly sweet sauce
> works well.
> 2 tab mirin
>
> 2 tab mild soy sauce
>
> 1 tab grated ginger
>
> 1 chopped garlic
>
> 1 tab rice vinegar
>
> 1 tab corn starch
>
> --
>
> James Silverton
> Potomac, Maryland
>
> Email, with obvious alterations: not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

thanks for idea, we're lucky enough to live in area with large Asian
populations, so have several large Chinese markets for water
chestnuts. Will try next time