FoodBanter.com

-   -   I have met the enemy and it is... (https://www.foodbanter.com/wine/392968-i-have-met-enemy.html)

Bi!! 14-01-2010 02:51 AM

I have met the enemy and it is...

2007 Laboure Roi Pouilly Fuisse which I had with dinner last night at
a terrible bistro on Marco Island Florida. I'm not sure why I'm
bitching since it was my choice but given that I had 4 whites and 4
reds to choose from and two of eight were white zins, I did the best I
could. The 2007 Laboure Roi Pouilly Fuisse redefines acidty. It had
the kind of throat searing acidiy that I would imagine is much like
drinking lye even though lye is akaline. Zero fruit, zero body just
pure acidic zing...to the max. "F"

DaleW 14-01-2010 03:01 AM

I have met the enemy and it is...

On Jan 13, 9:51*pm, "Bi!!" > wrote:
> 2007 Laboure Roi Pouilly Fuisse which I had with dinner last night at
> a terrible bistro on Marco Island Florida. *I'm not sure why I'm
> bitching since it was my choice but given that I had 4 whites and 4
> reds to choose from and two of eight were white zins, I did the best I
> could. *The 2007 Laboure Roi Pouilly Fuisse redefines acidty. *It had
> the kind of throat searing acidiy that I would imagine is much like
> drinking lye even though lye is akaline. *Zero fruit, zero body just
> pure acidic zing...to the max. *"F"

One of those really sad lists. Sorry about that.
People keep telling me that Laboure Roi is getting better, but still
my reference point for bad negociant Burg.
Let's hope your wine's arrive soon!

Mark Lipton[_1_] 14-01-2010 05:29 AM

I have met the enemy and it is...

Bi!! wrote:
> 2007 Laboure Roi Pouilly Fuisse which I had with dinner last night at
> a terrible bistro on Marco Island Florida. I'm not sure why I'm
> bitching since it was my choice but given that I had 4 whites and 4
> reds to choose from and two of eight were white zins, I did the best I
> could. The 2007 Laboure Roi Pouilly Fuisse redefines acidty. It had
> the kind of throat searing acidiy that I would imagine is much like
> drinking lye even though lye is akaline. Zero fruit, zero body just
> pure acidic zing...to the max. "F"

Ouch!!! Hope your wines arrive tomorrow, Bill.

Mark Lipton

santiago 14-01-2010 09:43 AM

I have met the enemy and it is...

Laboure-Roi is also available at a higher end Spanish hypermarket chain
(Hipercor) and usually part of promotional campaigns of European wines or
European Food.

A few years ago I tried three or four bottlings and I remember that a 2005
Chablis PC Fourchaume was quite decent and, at 8 euros/bottle, quite a good
QPR. But the rest of the range that I tasted, included some lesser reds
from Cote d'Or, were abhorrent.

s.

Kyle[_2_] 14-01-2010 02:21 PM

I have met the enemy and it is...

On Wed, 13 Jan 2010 18:51:03 -0800 (PST), "Bi!!" >
wrote:

>2007 Laboure Roi Pouilly Fuisse which I had with dinner last night at
>a terrible bistro on Marco Island Florida. I'm not sure why I'm
>bitching since it was my choice but given that I had 4 whites and 4
>reds to choose from and two of eight were white zins, I did the best I
>could. The 2007 Laboure Roi Pouilly Fuisse redefines acidty. It had
>the kind of throat searing acidiy that I would imagine is much like
>drinking lye even though lye is akaline. Zero fruit, zero body just
>pure acidic zing...to the max. "F"

I never tried it but really... your post is SCARING!!!

It's interesting to know that at Gotham Wines, the item strangely
disappeared!! one more point for the supernatural idea of this wine.

$15.99 USD for such wine is really another scaring point.. so this
wine is going to be a real GHOUL between the wines... scaring and
horrible.

I think that acidity is something to avoid at all costs, I prefer
fruit, not always body, because there are wines that I consider "happy
wines", easy to drink and very important during a casual party.

Probably the body is absolutely a must during serious meetings.

--
http://shop-for-computer.com - Best Pc Deals, Refurbished Deals

http://shop-for-clothes.com - Shoes, Handbags, Shirts, Coats

http://shop-for-car.com - Huge Car Deals, Auto Parts

Anders Tørneskog 14-01-2010 03:24 PM

I have met the enemy and it is...

"Bi!!" > skrev i melding
> .... The 2007 Laboure Roi Pouilly Fuisse redefines acidty. It had
> the kind of throat searing acidiy that I would imagine is much like
> drinking lye even though lye is akaline. Zero fruit, zero body just
> pure acidic zing...to the max. "F"

I would agree that Laboure-Roi sells fairly standard or pedestrian wine with
a few good exceptions.
But it is also true that Pouilly-Fuisse wines often have relatively high
acidity contributing to their sought-after freshness... It would seem that
Americans often look for low-acid wines - perhaps more used to
malolactically fermented wines so common in the past over there? Any
comments to that?

There are actually people who demand high acidity in their white wines - me,
for instance :-), happily drinking zingy Mosel wines.

Anders

cwdjrxyz 14-01-2010 04:21 PM

I have met the enemy and it is...

On Jan 14, 9:24*am, "Anders T rneskog" >
wrote:
> "Bi!!" > skrev i ...
>
> > .... *The 2007 Laboure Roi Pouilly Fuisse redefines acidty. *It had
> > the kind of throat searing acidiy that I would imagine is much like
> > drinking lye even though lye is akaline. *Zero fruit, zero body just
> > pure acidic zing...to the max. *"F"

> I would agree that Laboure-Roi sells fairly standard or pedestrian wine with
> a few good exceptions.
> But it is also true that Pouilly-Fuisse wines often have relatively high
> acidity contributing to their sought-after freshness... *It would seem that
> Americans often look for low-acid wines - perhaps more used to
> malolactically fermented wines so common in the past over there? *Any
> comments to that?
>
> There are actually people who demand high acidity in their white wines - me,
> for instance :-), *happily drinking zingy Mosel wines.

Americans are not always adverse to high acidity. For instance there
is candy that many children love that is loaded with very high
acidity, but the fruit and sugar tend to balance this somewhat. I once
knew an engineer who would eat a lemon without anything added, but
this is very much the exception, and even a lemon has considerable
fruity taste to mask the extremely high acidity just a bit. I like
good Mosel too, but I find few of grades below auslese ( and there can
be a trocken auslese) that have enough taste intensity to balance the
sometimes high acidity. The fine trocken exceptions can be very fine
indeed, but tend to be produced only from the best estates in the best
years. Many Americans will squeeze a bit of lemon juice on their
shrimp, and a bit of high acid dry wine can serve the same purpose if
you sip a bit as you eat the shrimp. Clos Ste.Hune is bone dry and
does not undergo malolactic secondary fermentation. As a result it is
very sharp and austere when young. However with at least 10 years of
age, it develops great intensity of bouquet and taste which balances
the wine and makes it one of the top Rieslings of the world. There can
be Pouilly-Fuisse with enough taste and bouquet to balance the often
high acidity, but this seems to be very much the exception, at least
for most that gets exported to the US. To make matters worse, this
wine seldom improves with age.

Bi!! 14-01-2010 04:57 PM

I have met the enemy and it is...

On Jan 14, 10:24�am, "Anders T rneskog" >
wrote:
> "Bi!!" > skrev i ...
>
> > .... �The 2007 Laboure Roi Pouilly Fuisse redefines acidty. �It had
> > the kind of throat searing acidiy that I would imagine is much like
> > drinking lye even though lye is akaline. �Zero fruit, zero body just
> > pure acidic zing...to the max. �"F"

> I would agree that Laboure-Roi sells fairly standard or pedestrian wine with
> a few good exceptions.
> But it is also true that Pouilly-Fuisse wines often have relatively high
> acidity contributing to their sought-after freshness... �It would seem that
> Americans often look for low-acid wines - perhaps more used to
> malolactically fermented wines so common in the past over there? �Any
> comments to that?
>
> There are actually people who demand high acidity in their white wines - me,
> for instance :-), �happily drinking zingy Mosel wines.
>
> Anders

Anders, there is a difference between fresh acidic wines and drinking
razor blades. :-) I like well balanced wines with a nice acidic
component and if you read my TN's from over the years you will find
that my tastes run fairly Old World but this is just bad wine. I've
had Laboure Roi wines in the past and found them to be fairly
pedestrian "quaffers" but this was just beyond the realm of good taste
and it has nothing to do with Americanized tastes.

Anders Tørneskog 14-01-2010 07:29 PM

I have met the enemy and it is...

"Bi!!" > skrev i melding

>Anders, there is a difference between fresh acidic wines and drinking
>razor blades. :-) I like well balanced wines with a nice acidic
>component and if you read my TN's from over the years you will find
>that my tastes run fairly Old World but this is just bad wine. I've
>had Laboure Roi wines in the past and found them to be fairly
>pedestrian "quaffers" but this was just beyond the realm of good taste
>and it has nothing to do with Americanized tastes.

Yes, I know you have a wide ranging experience. So, if this was not a
malolactically conditioned sensory response :-) - could this have been a
faulty bottle?
You see, I don't find other notes for Laboure-Roi PF pointing out that kind
of acidity. It could be a vintage aberration..., look at these notes for
L-R PF 2006:
Bouquet: Ripe pear, hazelnut, citrus, buttered bread with floral and cedar
notes.

Taste: Round and balanced with nice acidity. Structured and rich with ripe
white fruit flavors. Nice mineral and green apple lingering finish. IIt will
develop nicely in the cellar.

So something is wrong here, and if not you, then perhaps the bottle?

Anders

..

DaleW 14-01-2010 09:33 PM

I have met the enemy and it is...

On Jan 14, 2:29*pm, "Anders Tørneskog" >
wrote:
> "Bi!!" > skrev i ...
>
> >Anders, there is a difference between fresh acidic wines and drinking
> >razor blades. :-) *I like well balanced wines with a nice acidic
> >component and if you read my TN's from over the years you will find
> >that my tastes run fairly Old World but this is just bad wine. *I've
> >had Laboure Roi wines in the past and found them to be fairly
> >pedestrian "quaffers" but this was just beyond the realm of good taste
> >and it has nothing to do with Americanized tastes.

> Yes, I know you have a wide ranging experience. * So, if this was not a
> malolactically conditioned sensory response :-) *- *could this have been a
> faulty bottle?
> You see, I don't find other notes for Laboure-Roi PF pointing out that kind
> of acidity. * It could be a vintage aberration..., look at these notes for
> L-R PF 2006:
> Bouquet: Ripe pear, hazelnut, citrus, buttered bread with floral and cedar
> notes.
>
> Taste: Round and balanced with nice acidity. Structured and rich with ripe
> white fruit flavors. Nice mineral and green apple lingering finish. IIt will
> develop nicely in the cellar.
>
> So something is wrong here, and if not you, then perhaps the bottle?
>
> Anders
>
> .

Well, 2006 is certainly a less acidic vintage in Burgundy than 2007
(I tend to prefer 2007). But the other factor is that I'd guess that L-
R PF is probably produced in the thousands (or tens of thousands) of
cases, from a large number of sources. Variation is always at least a
possibility in these very large negoce operations.

Bi!! 14-01-2010 10:28 PM

I have met the enemy and it is...

On Jan 14, 2:29�pm, "Anders T�rneskog" >
wrote:
> "Bi!!" > skrev i ...
>
> >Anders, there is a difference between fresh acidic wines and drinking
> >razor blades. :-) �I like well balanced wines with a nice acidic
> >component and if you read my TN's from over the years you will find
> >that my tastes run fairly Old World but this is just bad wine. �I've
> >had Laboure Roi wines in the past and found them to be fairly
> >pedestrian "quaffers" but this was just beyond the realm of good taste
> >and it has nothing to do with Americanized tastes.

> Yes, I know you have a wide ranging experience. � So, if this was not a
> malolactically conditioned sensory response :-) �- �could this have been a
> faulty bottle?
> You see, I don't find other notes for Laboure-Roi PF pointing out that kind
> of acidity. � It could be a vintage aberration..., look at these notes for
> L-R PF 2006:
> Bouquet: Ripe pear, hazelnut, citrus, buttered bread with floral and cedar
> notes.
>
> Taste: Round and balanced with nice acidity. Structured and rich with ripe
> white fruit flavors. Nice mineral and green apple lingering finish. IIt will
> develop nicely in the cellar.
>
> So something is wrong here, and if not you, then perhaps the bottle?
>
> Anders
>
> .

Well, certainly the vintage would have a significant effect and
tasting notes for a 2006 wouldn't necessarily tranlate to the 2007
vintage. I couldn't really find any notes from sources that weren't
trying to sell the wine. I did see the note posted by The Atlanta
Examiner that you posted (which is not a website I'm familiar with nor
the "wine expert" that they cite) and it appears to be a commercial
for a grocery store or wine shop. Basically the wine sucked and I
don't think it was bottle variation. It sells for about $15-$18 in
the American market at retail so perhaps someone else can buy a bottle
and post a note.

santiago 14-01-2010 10:35 PM

I have met the enemy and it is...

Kyle > wrote in
:

> I think that acidity is something to avoid at all costs, I prefer
> fruit, not always body, because there are wines that I consider "happy
> wines", easy to drink and very important during a casual party.

I would say exactly the opposite. It is acidity that makes wine an
interesting drink. But only if it is ripe natural fruit acidity.

s.

Bi!! 15-01-2010 12:26 AM

I have met the enemy and it is...

On Jan 14, 5:35�pm, santiago > wrote:
> Kyle > wrote :
>

> > I think that acidity is something to avoid at all costs, I prefer
> > fruit, not always body, because there are wines that I consider "happy
> > wines", easy to drink and very important during a casual party.

> I would say exactly the opposite. It is acidity that makes wine an
> interesting drink. But only if it is ripe natural fruit acidity.
>
> s.

Very good point. I prefer wines with a good acidic balance especially
when pairing with food. Without the acid component the wines are
flabby and lack any interest.