Old 10-01-2010, 07:22 PM posted to alt.food.wine

Default Need Help Crystal Flakes

I bought 20 gal of( Stewbin) Spelling ?) Grape Juice from a winery.I
made it in 4. 5gal carboy.Here are my steps.Started 10-16-09 in
buckets 5 gal juice 2 1/2 tsp pectic enzyme-5 tsp yeast nutrient 5
crush campden tablets.3 cups sugar.S G 1.090 Alcohol 12% Acid 62.5 .10
17 09 added yeast Lalvin RC 212.On 10 26 09 S G .995 syphon from buckets
too carboys letting settlement behind.Syphon again on 11 14 09.Had a
sulfur smell to it. I got a new piece of copper pipe 18 in long clean
and disfected it put it in the carboy n blew through it a couple times a
day after 4 days the smell was gone.I syphon it again on 12 20 09.It was
clear and S G .995.I bottle 1 carboy on 12 23 09 added 5 1/2 cups sugar
2 1/2 tsp potassium sorbate.S G 1.020 balling 5.It was clear after 4
days in the bottles it got clear flakes in the bottles.I syphon another
carboy into a clean carboy it also was clear but after a couple days it
also started to get those clear flakes in it.I syphon it again got some
of the flakes out they had no smell and no taste they were gritty-
sandy.So i ran the carboy through a thick wine flitter it was crystal
clear you could see nothing.I bottle it on 12 26 09.After a 4 days it
got gritty stuff back in it.I even open up the first bottles and ran
them through the filter it took the gritty stuff out it was clear then i
rebottle them and about 4 days later it came back.I still have 2- 5 gal
carboy i didn't bottle i am going to let them sit for awhile to see if
that helps.Does anyone know what this could be .I made other grape wines
at the same time but didn't have this trouble.Could it be something in
the grape juice or something i did .You can eather email me or answer
here .Thank You Dan

Old 10-01-2010, 08:41 PM posted to alt.food.wine

wrote:
[...]

Hey Dan,
You might try a group like rec.crafts.winemaking or similar winemaking
groups.

Dick
Old 10-01-2010, 09:22 PM posted to alt.food.wine

Thanks Dick

Crystal Rock Outerwear - Discount Crystal Rock Womens Outerwear [email protected] General Cooking 0 21-05-2009 03:19 PM
crystal [email protected] General Cooking 0 12-12-2007 01:43 AM
Crystal Cake help The Bubbo General Cooking 9 14-12-2005 08:27 PM
Crystal tea bags Yolanda Tea 0 05-01-2004 11:20 AM
cleaning crystal mgeost General Cooking 7 01-11-2003 04:09 PM