Posted to alt.food.wine

Default [TN] '99 Montelena Cab

Last night, with a heavy snowfall already in the works, we hunkered down
indoors and cooked some lamb chops that Jean had thoughtfully
provisioned us with. To accompany the lamb, I went down in the cellar
and came back with:

1999 Chateau Montelena "Calistoga Cuvée"
nose: pencil lead, cassis, black cherry
palate: finely grained tannins, balanced acidity, primary flavors

This "second label" of Chateau Montelena (and no longer produced IIRC)
was purchased at the winery in '01. One of the finest, if not the
finest, Calistoga Cuvées I can recall tasting, it is still going strong
now. Like its big sibling, my one concern is that it doesn't seem to
develop any tertiary characteristics. That, however, is a fairly minor
quibble, as this is a terrific example of a balanced, food-friendly CalCab.

Mark Lipton
Posted to alt.food.wine

Default '99 Montelena Cab

On Jan 8, 9:50*am, Mark Lipton > wrote:
> Last night, with a heavy snowfall already in the works, we hunkered down
> indoors and cooked some lamb chops that Jean had thoughtfully
> provisioned us with. *To accompany the lamb, I went down in the cellar
> and came back with:
>
> 1999 Chateau Montelena "Calistoga Cuv e"
> nose: pencil lead, cassis, black cherry
> palate: finely grained tannins, balanced acidity, primary flavors
>
> This "second label" of Chateau Montelena (and no longer produced IIRC)
> was purchased at the winery in '01. *One of the finest, if not the
> finest, Calistoga Cuv es I can recall tasting, it is still going strong
> now. *Like its big sibling, my one concern is that it doesn't seem to
> develop any tertiary characteristics. *That, however, is a fairly minor
> quibble, as this is a terrific example of a balanced, food-friendly CalCab.
>
> Mark Lipton
> --
> alt.food.wine FAQ: *http://winefaq.cwdjr.net

thanks for notes, didn't know they stopped the Calistoga. Uusally a
fine value,

Montelena, Jadot, Cos d'Estournel Bill S. Wine 0 03-06-2012 06:44 PM
2002 Chateau Montelena Bi!! Wine 8 19-10-2011 04:25 PM
Montelena sold to Cos Mark Slater Wine 10 23-07-2008 04:49 PM
'01 Montelena Estate Wine 3 28-02-2005 01:07 AM
Pronounce Montelena? JK Wine 28 28-02-2005 12:57 AM