FoodBanter.com

-   -   [TN] '99 Montelena Cab (https://www.foodbanter.com/wine/392789-tn-99-montelena-cab.html)

Mark Lipton[_1_] 08-01-2010 02:50 PM

[TN] '99 Montelena Cab

Last night, with a heavy snowfall already in the works, we hunkered down
indoors and cooked some lamb chops that Jean had thoughtfully
provisioned us with. To accompany the lamb, I went down in the cellar
and came back with:

1999 Chateau Montelena "Calistoga Cuvée"
nose: pencil lead, cassis, black cherry
palate: finely grained tannins, balanced acidity, primary flavors

This "second label" of Chateau Montelena (and no longer produced IIRC)
was purchased at the winery in '01. One of the finest, if not the
finest, Calistoga Cuvées I can recall tasting, it is still going strong
now. Like its big sibling, my one concern is that it doesn't seem to
develop any tertiary characteristics. That, however, is a fairly minor
quibble, as this is a terrific example of a balanced, food-friendly CalCab.

Mark Lipton

DaleW 08-01-2010 09:30 PM

'99 Montelena Cab

On Jan 8, 9:50*am, Mark Lipton > wrote:
> Last night, with a heavy snowfall already in the works, we hunkered down
> indoors and cooked some lamb chops that Jean had thoughtfully
> provisioned us with. *To accompany the lamb, I went down in the cellar
> and came back with:
>
> 1999 Chateau Montelena "Calistoga Cuv e"
> nose: pencil lead, cassis, black cherry
> palate: finely grained tannins, balanced acidity, primary flavors
>
> This "second label" of Chateau Montelena (and no longer produced IIRC)
> was purchased at the winery in '01. *One of the finest, if not the
> finest, Calistoga Cuv es I can recall tasting, it is still going strong
> now. *Like its big sibling, my one concern is that it doesn't seem to
> develop any tertiary characteristics. *That, however, is a fairly minor
> quibble, as this is a terrific example of a balanced, food-friendly CalCab.
>
> Mark Lipton
> --
> alt.food.wine FAQ: *http://winefaq.cwdjr.net

thanks for notes, didn't know they stopped the Calistoga. Uusally a
fine value,