Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN Heitz Cellar Bella Oaks Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon 1977

The Heitz Cellar, Napa Valley Bella Oaks Vineyard, Cabernet Sauvignon
1977, bottle #45222 of 47820 bottles and 1200 magnums, was bottled
Aug. 11, 1981, and has 13 1/2 % alcohol. It has been stored properly
since shortly after release. There were no cork or other issues, and
the fill was still in the low neck. The cork could not be removed with
a corkscrew for the sides of the cork nearly seemed to be glued to the
bottle. A butler's friend went in with no problems, and twisting it a
bit then allowed the cork to be extracted in one piece.

This wine has been mature for several years, but it is holding very
well. It is still a big, dark wine with a bit of age now showing
around the rim. The dark fruit is quite intense, and there is a mixed
spice character. The tannins are resolved and now fairly soft. There
is ample acid. Although still a big wine, the balance is now very good
and not over-the-top and nearly port-like as were some California CSs
from the 70s. At this stage, I like it better than the 1976 Martha's
vineyard. Unfortunately I have only one more bottle left.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Jan 7, 12:49�am, cwdjrxyz > wrote:
> The Heitz Cellar, Napa Valley Bella Oaks Vineyard, Cabernet Sauvignon
> 1977, bottle #45222 of 47820 bottles and 1200 magnums, was bottled
> Aug. 11, 1981, and has 13 1/2 % alcohol. It has been stored properly
> since shortly after release. There were no cork or other issues, and
> the fill was still in the low neck. The cork could not be removed with
> a corkscrew for the sides of the cork nearly seemed to be glued to the
> bottle. A butler's friend went in with no problems, and twisting it �a
> bit then allowed the cork to be extracted in one piece.
>
> This wine has been mature for several years, but it is holding very
> well. It is still a big, dark wine with a bit of age now showing
> around the rim. The dark fruit is quite intense, and there is a mixed
> spice character. The tannins are resolved and now fairly soft. There
> is ample acid. Although still a big wine, the balance is now very good
> and not over-the-top and nearly port-like as were some California CSs
> from the 70s. At this stage, I like it better than the 1976 Martha's
> vineyard. Unfortunately I have only one more bottle left.

Thanks for the notes. 1974 Heitz Martha's was my wine epiphany.
These are beautifully crafted wines of power, balance and finesse.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Jan 7, 1:16*am, "Bi!!" > wrote:
> On Jan 7, 12:49 am, cwdjrxyz > wrote:
>

> > The Heitz Cellar, Napa Valley Bella Oaks Vineyard, Cabernet Sauvignon
> > 1977, bottle #45222 of 47820 bottles and 1200 magnums, was bottled
> > Aug. 11, 1981, and has 13 1/2 % alcohol. It has been stored properly
> > since shortly after release. There were no cork or other issues, and
> > the fill was still in the low neck. The cork could not be removed with
> > a corkscrew for the sides of the cork nearly seemed to be glued to the
> > bottle. A butler's friend went in with no problems, and twisting it a
> > bit then allowed the cork to be extracted in one piece.

> > This wine has been mature for several years, but it is holding very
> > well. It is still a big, dark wine with a bit of age now showing
> > around the rim. The dark fruit is quite intense, and there is a mixed
> > spice character. The tannins are resolved and now fairly soft. There
> > is ample acid. Although still a big wine, the balance is now very good
> > and not over-the-top and nearly port-like as were some California CSs
> > from the 70s. At this stage, I like it better than the 1976 Martha's
> > vineyard. Unfortunately I have only one more bottle left.

> Thanks for the notes. *1974 Heitz Martha's was my wine epiphany.
> These are beautifully crafted wines of power, balance and finesse.

74 is a great wine, never had the 77, but would love too! Distinctive
wines.
Posted to alt.food.wine

Bi!! wrote:

> Thanks for the notes. 1974 Heitz Martha's was my wine epiphany.
> These are beautifully crafted wines of power, balance and finesse.

Mine, too, Bill (same wine). I haven't had enough of either the
Martha's or Bella Oaks to be able to comment on the overall style, but I
certainly have liked what little I've had from Heitz in that era.

Mark Lipton

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Jan 7, 9:33�am, Mark Lipton > wrote:
> Bi!! wrote:
> > Thanks for the notes. �1974 Heitz Martha's was my wine epiphany..
> > These are beautifully crafted wines of power, balance and finesse.

> Mine, too, Bill (same wine). �I haven't had enough of either the
> Martha's or Bella Oaks to be able to comment on the overall style, but I
> certainly have liked what little I've had from Heitz in that era.
>
> Mark Lipton
>
> --
> alt.food.wine FAQ: �http://winefaq.cwdjr.net

I always felt that the Heitz wines of the 70's (and a few others like
Montelena, Phelps, BV) defined the "Napa" style of wine for the next
few decades. The wines showed the best attributes of what Napa had to
offer in terms of purity of fruit and ripeness in well balanced, long
lived wines that allowed individual site and maker personality to show
through. Anyone who has ever drank a Heitz Martha's can recognize the
eucalyptus character or the spicy minerality found in Phelps Insignia
year after year.