FoodBanter.com

-   -   TN: Italy from either end (Friuli and Sicily) (https://www.foodbanter.com/wine/392652-tn-italy-either-end.html)

DaleW 04-01-2010 09:05 PM

TN: Italy from either end (Friuli and Sicily)

Betsy was in the city most of the day, so I was in charge of Sunday's
dinner. I was in clean out fridge/freezer mode. We ended up with a
slowcooker variation on coq au vin, turnips sauteed in butter and
white wine, and an radicchio/pear salad with gorgonzola dolce. Dave,
Betsy, and I sat down with both cooking wines:

2007 Bastianich Friulano
(used on turnips)
This was a weird and not really likable wine. Fairly low acid, a weird
petrol note that might be ok with Riesling but seemed weird here on
top of canned pear fruit. A sample tasted later while supercold it was
a bit muted (and therefore more attractive). C

2008 Tenuta delle Terre Nere Etna Rosso
(used in chicken)
Fresh strawberry and raspberry fruits, lively acids, no apparent
tannin. Lighter styled, some spice and herb. Not very long, but nice
welterweight. B/B+

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an
excellent*wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I
wouldn't*drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I
offer no*promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of
consistency.**