FoodBanter.com

-   -   WTN: Cotes du Rhone and Champagne on NYE (https://www.foodbanter.com/wine/392583-wtn-cotes-du-rhone.html)

DaleW 01-01-2010 08:45 PM

WTN: Cotes du Rhone and Champagne on NYE

For New Year's Eve we headed to Betsy's sister's home bearing
Champagne and a chicken "bouillabaisse." A nice group from 10 till
mid-80s was gathered, not a very wine geeky crowd. Good food (besides
Betsy's chicken there was a broccoli rabe/cornbread strata, seafood
pot pie, roasted vegetables, salads, etc) and some wine:

2007 Perrin Cotes du Rhone Villages
I haven't been really jumping on the 2007 S. Rhone bandwagon but this
is a solid offering for the level. Ripe but not overripe, berries and
red plums, good finish. Not complex but tasty.

NV Vignerons de la Cadierenne "Charles IX " (VdP Mont Caume)
I brought this Provencal rose as a counterpart to the chicken. Not
sure if it's the match or what, but I like it a little more than
previous showing. Strawberries and herb, large framed, dry. B-
(I had previously noted the weirdness of a wine named after a king
best known for massacring Protestants, but in a bit of additional
irony a dessert next to it was...Huguenot Torte!)

2007 Delas "St. Esprit" Cotes du Rhone
Typical showing. I've not found this as bad as some, but hard to
believe it got a 90 from a major critic. Low acid, overripe/jammy, not
very long. Worth (barely) its $9 tag. B-/C+

NV Dumont Brut
Good acids, slightly coarse mousse, apple fruit with a touch of chalky
mineral. Not exciting, but solid grower Champagne at a decent price
($27). B

NV Clouet Grande Reserve Brut
Nice fine mousse, good acids, fuller than the Dumont. Pears and creme
brulee, a note of whole wheat bread *in the oven, very nice wine. A-/B
+

Happy New Year all!

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an
excellent*wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I
wouldn't*drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I
offer no*promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of
consistency.**