Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Domaine Carneros '05

What a way to welcome in a New year! Up at 5 AM yesterday to spend almost
an hour cleaning and shelling King Crab legs so that the shells and
debris could go out in the last early morning garbage pickup of 2009.

In a couple of past New Years Eve suppers, I have enthused over Domaine
Carneros Brut. This time, I would only give it a "very good, but---"
The Taittinger understated style was still recognizable. Color was a pale
straw, and the acidity was nicely balanced with some bone dry fruit.
The strange element was that the mousse was so short lived. It foamed up
nicely when pouring, but almost disappeared before one could raise the
glass to lips.

Perhaps other elements of the supper influenced the disappointments of
the evening.The King Crab legs were quite small and I noticed that the
shells were thin and soft. Did this have a bearing on the fact that the
meat was wet and spongy in texture? I don't know, but would appreciate
some feedback on this point.

In any case, I wish a Happy and Healthy 2010 to all of my fellow winos.

Godzilla
Posted to alt.food.wine

Godzilla wrote on Fri, 01 Jan 2010 16:31:14 +0000:

> In a couple of past New Years Eve suppers, I have enthused
> over Domaine Carneros Brut. This time, I would only give it a
> "very good, but---" The Taittinger understated style was still
> recognizable. Color was a pale straw, and the acidity was
> nicely balanced with some bone dry fruit. The strange element
> was that the mousse was so short lived. It foamed up nicely
> when pouring, but almost disappeared before one could raise
> the glass to lips.

> Perhaps other elements of the supper influenced the
> disappointments of the evening.The King Crab legs were quite
> small and I noticed that the shells were thin and soft. Did
> this have a bearing on the fact that the meat was wet and
> spongy in texture? I don't know, but would appreciate some
> feedback on this point.

> In any case, I wish a Happy and Healthy 2010 to all of my
> fellow winos.

Well, I had smoked Scottish salmon, dusted with dill and capers, on
flatbread with Korbel Brut Champagne and it was just fine!

Happy Hogmanay!

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Fri, 01 Jan 2010 15:20:33 -0500, James Silverton wrote:

> Godzilla wrote on Fri, 01 Jan 2010 16:31:14 +0000:
>
>> In a couple of past New Years Eve suppers, I have enthused over Domaine
>> Carneros Brut. This time, I would only give it a "very good, but---"
>> The Taittinger understated style was still recognizable. Color was a
>> pale straw, and the acidity was nicely balanced with some bone dry
>> fruit. The strange element was that the mousse was so short lived. It
>> foamed up nicely when pouring, but almost disappeared before one could
>> raise the glass to lips.

>> Perhaps other elements of the supper influenced the disappointments of
>> the evening.The King Crab legs were quite small and I noticed that the
>> shells were thin and soft. Did this have a bearing on the fact that the
>> meat was wet and spongy in texture? I don't know, but would appreciate
>> some feedback on this point.

>> In any case, I wish a Happy and Healthy 2010 to all of my fellow winos.

> Well, I had smoked Scottish salmon, dusted with dill and capers, on
> flatbread with Korbel Brut Champagne and it was just fine!
>
> Happy Hogmanay!

That sounds like what I should have had. :-)

Godzilla