FoodBanter.com

-   -   TN: Riesling and Bdx with Chinese-Australian fusion food (https://www.foodbanter.com/wine/392527-tn-riesling-bdx-chinese.html)

DaleW 31-12-2009 01:49 PM

TN: Riesling and Bdx with Chinese-Australian fusion food

Last year Betsy stumbled across a cooking show on PBS featuring Kylie
Kwong, a Chinese-Australian chef. She liked the show and made a few
dishes which turned out well. So I got her KK's cookbook for
Christmas. We've had multiple recipes from it the last 2 nights:

Tuesday chicken wings with oyster sauce, fried rice, and baby bok
choy. 2 Rieslings made an appearance
*
2001 Carl Schmitt-Wagner "Longuicher Maximiner Herrenberg"Auslese (AP
#18) (Mosel-Saar-Ruwer)
Not a producer that I really know, but a solid performance. I worried
that it might be too sweet, but it's actually showing nice sugar/acid
balance, floral nose, lots of petrol over yellow pit fruits, more
graceful than powerful. Good length, petrol more intense on day 2.
Holds up well. B+

2008 Selbach-Oster Zeltinger Himmelreich "Anrecht" Spatlese
Clean white peach fruit laced with citrus, excellent nervous acidity,
good length. Fresh, lovely, a real delight. Maybe even better on day
2. A-
*
Last night she made stir-fired duck breast with 5 spice, steamed
silken tofu with spinach and garlic, mushroom/arugula/fennel salad,
and steamed shrimp wonton (Dave declared while he liked previous night
a lot, this was his dream meal. I declared it might be my dream meal
if I wasn't doing the cleanup!).. We had the leftover Rieslings, but
Dave prefers red and I thought the duck could use some. Didn't want to
go with pricey Burgundy with those spices, so turned to $15 Bordeaux.
Opened the 2005 Quintessence de Peybonhomme (1er Cotes de Blaye). Nose
of crushed berries accented with just a little vanilla, on palate a
combo of cassis and redder fruits (plums). Light tannins, good length.
Solid example of satellite Bordeaux, not profound but satisfying. B

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an
excellent*wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I
wouldn't*drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I
offer no*promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of
consistency.**

Lawrence Leichtman[_2_] 01-01-2010 05:00 PM

On Dec 31 2009, 6:49*am, DaleW > wrote:
> Last year Betsy stumbled across a cooking show on PBS featuring Kylie
> Kwong, a Chinese-Australian chef. She liked the show and made a few
> dishes which turned out well. So I got her KK's cookbook for
> Christmas. We've had multiple recipes from it the last 2 nights:
>
> Tuesday chicken wings with oyster sauce, fried rice, and baby bok
> choy. 2 Rieslings made an appearance
> *
> 2001 Carl Schmitt-Wagner "Longuicher Maximiner Herrenberg"Auslese (AP
> #18) (Mosel-Saar-Ruwer)
> Not a producer that I really know, but a solid performance. I worried
> that it might be too sweet, but it's actually showing nice sugar/acid
> balance, floral nose, lots of petrol over yellow pit fruits, more
> graceful than powerful. Good length, petrol more intense on day 2.
> Holds up well. B+
>
> 2008 Selbach-Oster Zeltinger Himmelreich "Anrecht" Spatlese
> Clean white peach fruit laced with citrus, excellent nervous acidity,
> good length. Fresh, lovely, a real delight. Maybe even better on day
> 2. A-
> *
> Last night she made stir-fired duck breast with 5 spice, steamed
> silken tofu with spinach and garlic, mushroom/arugula/fennel salad,
> and steamed shrimp wonton (Dave declared while he liked previous night
> a lot, this was his dream meal. I declared it might be my dream meal
> if I wasn't doing the cleanup!).. We had the leftover Rieslings, but
> Dave prefers red and I thought the duck could use some. Didn't want to
> go with pricey Burgundy with those spices, so turned to $15 Bordeaux.
> Opened the 2005 Quintessence de Peybonhomme (1er Cotes de Blaye). Nose
> of crushed berries accented with just a little vanilla, on palate a
> combo of cassis and redder fruits (plums). Light tannins, good length.
> Solid example of satellite Bordeaux, not profound but satisfying. B
>
> Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an
> excellent*wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I
> wouldn't*drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I
> offer no*promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of
> consistency.**

Dale, which book did you get? I love her cooking show but don't have
any of her recipes.

DaleW 02-01-2010 11:24 PM

On Jan 1, 12:00*pm, Lawrence Leichtman > wrote:
> On Dec 31 2009, 6:49*am, DaleW > wrote:
>

> > Last year Betsy stumbled across a cooking show on PBS featuring Kylie
> > Kwong, a Chinese-Australian chef. She liked the show and made a few
> > dishes which turned out well. So I got her KK's cookbook for
> > Christmas. We've had multiple recipes from it the last 2 nights:

> > Tuesday chicken wings with oyster sauce, fried rice, and baby bok
> > choy. 2 Rieslings made an appearance
> > *
> > 2001 Carl Schmitt-Wagner "Longuicher Maximiner Herrenberg"Auslese (AP
> > #18) (Mosel-Saar-Ruwer)
> > Not a producer that I really know, but a solid performance. I worried
> > that it might be too sweet, but it's actually showing nice sugar/acid
> > balance, floral nose, lots of petrol over yellow pit fruits, more
> > graceful than powerful. Good length, petrol more intense on day 2.
> > Holds up well. B+

> > 2008 Selbach-Oster Zeltinger Himmelreich "Anrecht" Spatlese
> > Clean white peach fruit laced with citrus, excellent nervous acidity,
> > good length. Fresh, lovely, a real delight. Maybe even better on day
> > 2. A-
> > *
> > Last night she made stir-fired duck breast with 5 spice, steamed
> > silken tofu with spinach and garlic, mushroom/arugula/fennel salad,
> > and steamed shrimp wonton (Dave declared while he liked previous night
> > a lot, this was his dream meal. I declared it might be my dream meal
> > if I wasn't doing the cleanup!).. We had the leftover Rieslings, but
> > Dave prefers red and I thought the duck could use some. Didn't want to
> > go with pricey Burgundy with those spices, so turned to $15 Bordeaux.
> > Opened the 2005 Quintessence de Peybonhomme (1er Cotes de Blaye). Nose
> > of crushed berries accented with just a little vanilla, on palate a
> > combo of cassis and redder fruits (plums). Light tannins, good length.
> > Solid example of satellite Bordeaux, not profound but satisfying. B

> > Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an
> > excellent*wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I
> > wouldn't*drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I
> > offer no*promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of
> > consistency.**

> Dale, which book did you get? I love her cooking show but don't have
> any of her recipes.

Just called Simple Chinese Cooking. So far, so good!