Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Recommended wine importers Slate 2009

http://www.slate.com/id/2217806/

There are wine importers listed by country: Argentina, Australia, Austria,
France, France/Italy, Germany/Austria/Champagne, Italy, Spain, Spain/France
and Everywhere.

I notice that Kysela Pere et Fils (under "Everywhere") is one that I find in
my area and use. I keep this little cut-out in my pocket because I am not
yet familiar with importers.

Does anyone find exception to any of these importers listed?

Thanks so much.
Dee Dee
Virginia, U.S.A.

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Dec 29, 1:09*pm, "Dee Dovey" > wrote:
> http://www.slate.com/id/2217806/
>
> There are wine importers listed by country: Argentina, Australia, Austria,
> France, France/Italy, Germany/Austria/Champagne, Italy, Spain, Spain/France
> and Everywhere.
>
> I notice that Kysela Pere et Fils (under "Everywhere") is one that I find in
> my area and use. *I keep this little cut-out in my pocket because I am not
> yet familiar with importers.
>
> Does anyone find exception to any of these importers listed?
>
> Thanks so much.
> Dee Dee
> Virginia, U.S.A.

Good column, good list. My only exceptions don't have to do with
quality, there are a few importers on that list who bring in very fine
wines, but whose stylistic preferences often don't match with mine
(I'm thinking Bobby Kacher, de Grazia, maybe Ordonez). They bring in
quality wines, but while I might buy a $10 wine based on that importer
I probably wouldn't buy a more expensive bottle based on past
experience. But I might spend it on a bottle from Dressner, Rosenthal,
or Theise. Someone with different palate preferences might feel
exactly opposite. But that list is a pretty good indicator that the
wine will be good quality, if not everyone's preferred style.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Dec 29, 2:41�pm, DaleW > wrote:
> On Dec 29, 1:09�pm, "Dee Dovey" > wrote:
>
> >http://www.slate.com/id/2217806/

> > There are wine importers listed by country: Argentina, Australia, Austria,
> > France, France/Italy, Germany/Austria/Champagne, Italy, Spain, Spain/France
> > and Everywhere.

> > I notice that Kysela Pere et Fils (under "Everywhere") is one that I find in
> > my area and use. �I keep this little cut-out in my pocket because I am not
> > yet familiar with importers.

> > Does anyone find exception to any of these importers listed?

> > Thanks so much.
> > Dee Dee
> > Virginia, U.S.A.

> Good column, good list. My only exceptions don't have to do with
> quality, there are a few importers on that list who bring in very fine
> wines, but whose stylistic preferences often don't match with mine
> (I'm thinking Bobby Kacher, de Grazia, maybe Ordonez). They bring in
> quality wines, but while I might buy a $10 wine based on that importer
> I probably wouldn't buy a more expensive bottle based on past
> experience. But I might spend it on a bottle from Dressner, Rosenthal,
> or Theise. Someone with different palate preferences might feel
> exactly opposite. But that list is a pretty good indicator that the
> wine will be good quality, if not everyone's preferred style.

Well put and a good point. I assume that you refer to the use of oak,
higher alcohol levels and overly ripe or concentrated styles of wine.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Dec 29, 3:03*pm, "Bi!!" > wrote:
> On Dec 29, 2:41 pm, DaleW > wrote:
>

> > On Dec 29, 1:09 pm, "Dee Dovey" > wrote:

> > >http://www.slate.com/id/2217806/

> > > There are wine importers listed by country: Argentina, Australia, Austria,
> > > France, France/Italy, Germany/Austria/Champagne, Italy, Spain, Spain/France
> > > and Everywhere.

> > > I notice that Kysela Pere et Fils (under "Everywhere") is one that I find in
> > > my area and use. I keep this little cut-out in my pocket because I am not
> > > yet familiar with importers.

> > > Does anyone find exception to any of these importers listed?

> > > Thanks so much.
> > > Dee Dee
> > > Virginia, U.S.A.

> > Good column, good list. My only exceptions don't have to do with
> > quality, there are a few importers on that list who bring in very fine
> > wines, but whose stylistic preferences often don't match with mine
> > (I'm thinking Bobby Kacher, de Grazia, maybe Ordonez). They bring in
> > quality wines, but while I might buy a $10 wine based on that importer
> > I probably wouldn't buy a more expensive bottle based on past
> > experience. But I might spend it on a bottle from Dressner, Rosenthal,
> > or Theise. Someone with different palate preferences might feel
> > exactly opposite. But that list is a pretty good indicator that the
> > wine will be good quality, if not everyone's preferred style.

> Well put and a good point. *I assume that you refer to the use of oak,
> higher alcohol levels and overly ripe or concentrated styles of wine.

Yes, Kacher, de Grazia etc tend to specialize in what one might call
modern or internationally styled wines. Just not my main interest, so
I wouldn't tend to look on Kacher's label on a $60 bottle of of 1er
cru Burgundy as a plus (or de Grazia on a $90 bottle of Barolo). But I
have bought $10 Bourgognes that Kacher imported.