Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Gevrey-Chambertin Under the Tree

It's a 2005 Chanson Gevrey-Chambertin and I can't find a review for it
anywhere.

Any tips or informed opinions? Quoting from the Chanson web page . . .

Site : Gevrey Chambertin is located in the "Côte de Nuits". The grapes
stem from a selected plot in the northern part of Appellation "Gevrey
Chambertin" located on a mid slope and bordering the Premiers Crus.
The grapes are sourced from a partner winegrower. Picking of the
grapes by our teams.

I'm wondering how the Côte de Nuits stacks up against the other
appellations of Bourgogne? I once read that Napoleon would not go
into battle without his many casks of red Montrachet right along with
his caissons and cannon.
--
S.
Posted to alt.food.wine

Gevrey-Chambertin is an AOC (and a village) in Côte de Nuits (an area
comprising several villages including Chambolle-Musigny, Nuits-St.Georges,
Morey St.Denis or Vosne-Romanée), which is part of the Côte d'Or.

See a map here (scroll down a bit, you'll see a map in three):
http://www.bourgogne-panorama.com/th...f_cyte_dor.php

The terroir of Gevrey-Chambertin reminds me of a wild animal, with lots of
character which is easy to understand. Wines can be quite upfront, and many
may display some sort of gamey character. When a friend asks me about
Bourgogne and they want to taste a nice wine that they can understand and
appreciate, I usually recommend them starting in Gevrey.

2005 is a good vintage, the brand is not one of the big names of the AOC,
so my guess is that it should be drinkable now.

Enjoy,

s.

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Dec 25, 4:54*pm, Seymour > wrote:
> It's a 2005 Chanson Gevrey-Chambertin and I can't find a review for it
> anywhere.
>
> Any tips or informed opinions? Quoting from the Chanson web page . . .
>
> Site : Gevrey Chambertin is located in the "Côte de Nuits". The grapes
> stem from a selected plot in the northern part of Appellation "Gevrey
> Chambertin" located on a mid slope and bordering the Premiers Crus.
> The grapes are sourced from a partner winegrower. Picking of the
> grapes by our teams.
>
> I'm wondering how the Côte de Nuits stacks up against the other
> appellations of Bourgogne? *I once read that Napoleon would not go
> into battle without his many casks of red Montrachet right along with
> his caissons and cannon.
> --
> S.

Only one review on CT, don't know the reviewer so not sure how
reliable, but he liked it:
http://www.cellartracker.com/wine.asp?iWine=440008

As Santiago says, Gevrey-Chambertin is the appellation. The Cote d'Or
is the most famous subregion of Burgundy, it's commonly divided into
northern half (Cote de Nuits) and southern (Cote de Beaune). Gevrey is
typically earthy and a bit gamey as he also said. I'd call it a more
masculine style in general than say Chambolle.

Chanson is a large negociant, not sure how their Gevrey typically
stacks up, but 2005 is a very good vintage.

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Dec 27 2009, 7:05*am, DaleW > wrote:
> On Dec 25, 4:54*pm, Seymour > wrote:
>

> > It's a 2005 Chanson Gevrey-Chambertin and I can't find a review for it
> > anywhere.

> > Any tips or informed opinions? Quoting from the Chanson web page . . .

> > Site : Gevrey Chambertin is located in the "Côte de Nuits". The grapes
> > stem from a selected plot in the northern part of Appellation "Gevrey
> > Chambertin" located on a mid slope and bordering the Premiers Crus.
> > The grapes are sourced from a partner winegrower. Picking of the
> > grapes by our teams.

> > I'm wondering how the Côte de Nuits stacks up against the other
> > appellations of Bourgogne? *I once read that Napoleon would not go
> > into battle without his many casks of red Montrachet right along with
> > his caissons and cannon.
> > --
> > S.

> Only one review on CT, don't know the reviewer so not sure how
> reliable, but he liked it:http://www.cellartracker.com/wine.asp?iWine=440008
>
> As Santiago says, Gevrey-Chambertin is the appellation. The Cote d'Or
> is the most famous subregion of Burgundy, it's commonly divided into
> northern half (Cote de Nuits) and southern (Cote de Beaune). Gevrey is
> typically earthy and a bit gamey as he also said. I'd call it a more
> masculine style in general than say Chambolle.
>
> Chanson is a large negociant, not sure how their Gevrey typically
> stacks up, but 2005 is a very good vintage.- Hide quoted text -

Totally got the terminology balled up there, didn't I. Been so many
years since I seriously studied the matter I no longer know my
appellations from my terroirs or domaines. I was somewhat
disappointed with the wine, frankly and can well see why you'd both
describe it as "gamey" compared to the delicacy that I once found so
much to my delight in a particularly beautiful estate bottled Beaune
that I enjoyed too many years ago to recall the particular maison.
This, from Chanson I found much too rough to my tastes.

There is a distinct flavor I always look for in a pinot noir which I
was hard put to bring out to my taste in this. I guess that long gone
bottle from Beaune has spoiled me! However, just of late I've been
greatly surprised to discover that this grape is grown in the Pfaltz
region of Germany--even so far north as that! Some I suppose would
find it pale, weak and watery by comparison to what comes from the
Cote d'Or, but that distinctive flavor that I must have or be
disappointed is there, even when it's being bought in bulk, imported
by E & J Gallo (of all people) and bottled behind their Turning Leaf
label for something like $6.49. I would have preferred a 5 buck
Beaujolais over this pinot from Gevrey. With a name like "Montrachet"
on the label, I should have been sitting there like I had rubies
rolling around on my tongue, n'est ce pas?

Thanks to you both for the help!
--
Seymour
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Jan 6, 12:13�am, Seymour > wrote:
> [...]

> There is a distinct flavor I always look for in a pinot noir which I
> was hard put to bring out to my taste in this. I guess that long gone
> bottle from Beaune has spoiled me! However, just of late I've been
> greatly surprised to discover that this grape is grown in the Pfaltz
> region of Germany--even so far north as that! Some I suppose would
> find it pale, weak and watery by comparison to what comes from the
> Cote d'Or, but that distinctive flavor that I must have or be
> disappointed is there, even when it's being bought in bulk, imported
> by E & J Gallo (of all people) and bottled behind their Turning Leaf
> label for something like $6.49. �I would have preferred a 5 buck
> Beaujolais over this pinot from Gevrey. �With a name like "Montrachet"
> on the label, I should have been sitting there like I had rubies
> rolling around on my tongue, n'est ce pas?

I'm not sure I get the connection between Montrachet and Gevrey
Chambertin. One is in the Cote de Beaune (Montrachet) and one is in
the Cote de Nuits (Gevrey) two different places. FYI, Chanson is a
huge negociant owned by an even larger conglomerate owned by
Bollinger.