Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Penfolds Bin 389 2004

Hello,

I know I'll be drinking it too young tomorrow, but I'd just like to know how
best to prepare it to get the best from it. The guy in the shop said to decant
it, but did he just mean give it some air? If so, for how long, and will any
open jug do?

Posted to alt.food.wine

"DavidW" > skrev i melding
> Hello,
>
> I know I'll be drinking it too young tomorrow, but I'd just like to know
> how
> best to prepare it to get the best from it. The guy in the shop said to
> decant
> it, but did he just mean give it some air? If so, for how long, and will
> any
> open jug do?

This wine will be good for many years, but, afaik, it is quite drinkable
even now. Any (clean) jug will do, pour it in about one hour in advance and
put somewhere with a suitable temperature (18C/64F). I don't think it will
have much sediment, if any, but pour slowly and watch against a light source
to see through the neck if any appears and stop pouring then. (A coffee
filter might be handy then if you want to get as much wine as possible in a
separate glass, have a taste and decide whether you want to cover the
jug/carafe :-)
hth
Anders

Posted to alt.food.wine

Anders Tørneskog wrote:
> "DavidW" > skrev i melding
>> Hello,
>>
>> I know I'll be drinking it too young tomorrow, but I'd just like to
>> know how
>> best to prepare it to get the best from it. The guy in the shop said
>> to decant
>> it, but did he just mean give it some air? If so, for how long, and
>> will any
>> open jug do?
>>

> This wine will be good for many years, but, afaik, it is quite
> drinkable even now. Any (clean) jug will do, pour it in about one
> hour in advance and put somewhere with a suitable temperature
> (18C/64F). I don't think it will have much sediment, if any, but
> pour slowly and watch against a light source to see through the neck
> if any appears and stop pouring then. (A coffee filter might be
> handy then if you want to get as much wine as possible in a separate
> glass, have a taste and decide whether you want to cover the
> jug/carafe :-)
> hth

Thanks. Just FYI, this wine was cellared by Penfolds till it was released to
the retailer, so I am its first retail buyer. Five years is the norm for
Grange, so I assume it's the same for Bin 389. Someone on the radio the other
day described it as "the poor man's Grange."

Posted to alt.food.wine

"DavidW" > wrote in message
> Anders Tørneskog wrote:
>> "DavidW" > skrev i melding
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I know I'll be drinking it too young tomorrow, but I'd just like to
>>> know how
>>> best to prepare it to get the best from it. The guy in the shop said
>>> to decant
>>> it, but did he just mean give it some air? If so, for how long, and
>>> will any
>>> open jug do?
>>>

>> This wine will be good for many years, but, afaik, it is quite
>> drinkable even now. Any (clean) jug will do, pour it in about one
>> hour in advance and put somewhere with a suitable temperature
>> (18C/64F). I don't think it will have much sediment, if any, but
>> pour slowly and watch against a light source to see through the neck
>> if any appears and stop pouring then. (A coffee filter might be
>> handy then if you want to get as much wine as possible in a separate
>> glass, have a taste and decide whether you want to cover the
>> jug/carafe :-)
>> hth

> Thanks. Just FYI, this wine was cellared by Penfolds till it was released
> the retailer, so I am its first retail buyer. Five years is the norm for
> Grange, so I assume it's the same for Bin 389. Someone on the radio the
> other
> day described it as "the poor man's Grange."

"Poor man's Grange" because some of the new vintage 389 goes into oak used
previously to mature Grange. I suppose the theory is that the 389 will
absorb Grange that has leached into those barrels.

For what it's worth here's my April 2009 notes for the 2006:
"Penfolds Bin 389 Cabernet/Shiraz 2006 - up to $60 AUD - Year in, year out,
this wine remains one of my all-time favourite Australian reds - this
vintage maintains the quality. Dense to opaque in appearance. The nose is
complex, with blueberries, tobacco, cherry liqueur, and leather. The palate
is solid, savoury, and chewy, with hints of plums, blackcurrants, liquorice
allsorts, and a slight earthiness. Will cellar happily to at least 2020."

Cheers!

Martin

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Dec 24, 11:55*am, "Martin Field" > wrote:
> "DavidW" > wrote in message

> > Anders Tørneskog wrote:
> >> "DavidW" > skrev i melding

> >> This wine will be good for many years, but, afaik, it is quite
> >> drinkable even now. *Any (clean) jug will do, pour it in about one
> >> hour in advance and put somewhere with a suitable temperature
> >> (18C/64F). *I don't think it will have much sediment, if any, but
> >> pour slowly and watch against a light source to see through the neck
> >> if any appears and stop pouring then. * (A coffee filter might be
> >> handy then if you want to get as much wine as possible in a separate
> >> glass, have a taste and decide whether you want to cover the
> >> jug/carafe :-)
> >> hth

> > Thanks. Just FYI, this wine was cellared by Penfolds till it was released
> > the retailer, so I am its first retail buyer. Five years is the norm for
> > Grange, so I assume it's the same for Bin 389. Someone on the radio the
> > other
> > day described it as "the poor man's Grange."

> "Poor man's Grange" because some of the new vintage 389 goes into oak used
> previously to mature Grange. I suppose the theory is that the 389 will
> absorb Grange that has leached into those barrels.
>
> For what it's worth here's my April 2009 notes for the 2006:
> "Penfolds Bin 389 Cabernet/Shiraz 2006 - up to $60 AUD *- Year in, year out,
> this wine remains one of my all-time favourite Australian reds - this
> vintage maintains the quality. Dense to opaque in appearance. The nose is
> complex, with blueberries, tobacco, cherry liqueur, and leather. The palate
> is solid, savoury, and chewy, with hints of plums, blackcurrants, liquorice
> allsorts, and a slight earthiness. Will cellar happily to at least 2020."

Do you mean 2006 or 2004? I didn't think 2006 would have been released
yet, but maybe I'm mistaken about the five years I mentioned elsewhere
and the cellar release of the 2004 I have was in addition to an
earlier release.

Anyway, thanks. Sounds great. It gets opened in a few hours.

Penfolds Bin 707 Bill S. Wine 0 01-09-2007 07:12 PM
What Penfolds for Valentine's? Octave Wine 11 27-02-2005 11:58 PM
UN FAO & WHO approve Steviol glycosides as sweetener June 2004, imports to UK no longer blocked: Martini: Murray 2004.10.17 rmforall Rich Murray Diabetic 3 17-10-2004 07:19 PM
Penfolds Grange 98 sephiroth Wine 9 30-03-2004 11:14 PM
Penfolds Grange Michael Bartlett Wine 3 04-11-2003 07:34 PM