Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Dinner Wines

I met a few freinds for a steakhouse dinner last night while our wives
were at a ladies only holiday party. We started with:

2002 Peter Michael Mon Plasir Chardonnay- Deep golden in the glass.
Nose of old apples. The wine was clearly oxidized and for me not
drinkable although others liked it. Mostly sherry and apples.

2005 SQN The Petition- a blend of Viognier, Roussane and Chardonnay.
A big wine at 15.8 % alcohol. Plenty of honmeysuckle, orange peel
and lemopn curd. Good acidity but lacks the oily mouthfeel of Rhone
whites. Drinks like a red wine. "B+"

2004 Louis Latour Corton Charlemagne-tight nose of lemon and
limestone. Plenty of body on the palate. High toned acidity and big
finish of pear, lemon and stone fruits. "A-"

Reds:
1966 Chateau Margaux-The bottle was in good shape as was the cork.
The wine was still dark purple with a brickish cast. Nose of typical
Margaux perfume with fairly firm mineral and cassis. A bit of cedar
and leather. The wine was good not great. Still plenty of fruit but
with an odd metallic tang on the finish. Still a bit of tannin left.
Smelled better than it tasted.

1996 Far Niente Cabernet Napa-Typical Napa dust nose with plenty of
black fruit aromas and a bit of black coffee and mint. Smooth and
full bodied on the palate. Black cherry, cassis and a moderate
acidity. Tannins were resolved yet still a bit of grip on the
finish. "B+"

2002 Grace Family Cabernet- Black in the glass. Nose of crushed
blackberries and creme de cassis. Powerful flavors of black currants,
anise and very ripe blackberries. Almost sweet on the palate. Plush
taninns, too young and primary to get a fix on. I actually saved my
glass and drank it as dessert.

Dinner Wines Bi!! Wine 0 27-09-2010 03:45 PM
Dinner wines Bi!! Wine 0 08-12-2009 06:05 PM
Dinner Wines Bi!! Wine 9 05-04-2009 02:14 AM
Various wines with dinner Bi!! Wine 7 29-04-2008 02:49 PM