Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: wines with potato pancakes (and beef and chicken)

Wednesday just a few sips of leftover wine, no wine Thursday as I ate
at office before board meeting. So Friday I was ready for vino, and we
had invited some friends over for the first night of Hanukkah (Lenore
shares with Betsy the finding out you're Jewish from relatives other
than your parents story). Betsy made latkes, roast chicken, kale, I
just poured the wine:

NV Foreau Vouvray (my old eyes think the lot number on the neck label
says L2041)
Full-bodied, citrus, yeast. Big palate presence with a creamy texture
but with strong acids. Lemony, nice. B+

1993 Darviot-Perrin "La Gigotte" Volnay 1er Cru
I'd never heard of this producer (or vineyard!), but ordered a bottle
because it was cheap and I was looking to see if I could add some
bargains to a bottle I was buying in CA. Somewhat tight at first, high
acids, light tannins, red fruit. With time it opens, cherries and
raspberries, earth with a touch of barnyard. Not really long, but
certainly pleasurable and with life ahead of it, not ordering more,
but if I ended up wanting something else from Benchmark I might add a
bottle. B

Saturday we went to a dinner party with good friends, more latkes! I
had appetizer duty- made spicy potted shrimp on cukes as an appetizer,
as well as some pear/stilton bites. Besides the latkes, Rachel made a
squash soup and peppercorn beef tenderloin with horseradish sauce,
Sarah did a lovely green salad with pomegranite and persimmon, and I
also carried my cauliflower/pimenton dish. Several wines sampled:

2008 Le Coste Pinot Grigio
Light, close to dilute, but good acidity and fresh fruit. Apples and
grapefruit, a decent apertif. B

2007 Franciscan Chardonnay
Quite oaky, apple and tropical fruits, sweet edge, a bit of butter.
Not my style. C+

2006 Rancho Zabaco "Heritage" Zinfandel
Grapey, blackberry jam, a little spice. B-

1990 Petit Village (Pomerol)
I had liked this a few years ago where it showed surprisingly well at
a 1990 horizontal at Tribeca Grill, but this bottle was entering its
dotage (or at least so it seemed at first). Soft, cassis and black
plum, fairly short finish, a little prune. I'm not thrilled. It
actually livens up a bit in the end, towards end of night the fruit
seems a bit fresher. Still, even at it's best B-

2006 JL Chave "Offerus" St. Joseph
Tannic, primary, black fruit with pepper and spice. Solid and tasty,
if not exciting right now. B, with B+ potential I hope.

Betsy flew to CA to visit an ailing aunt, Dave joined me tonight for
sausage (mostly my homemade) and peppers, kale, and cauliflower. Wine
was the 2004 Monsanto Chianti Classico (regular, not Il Poggio).
Modest, straightforward Chianti. Moderate acidity, light tannins,
cherries and a touch of vanilla. B

Not a great few days of wine, but a couple solid performers

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an
excellent*wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I
wouldn't*drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I
offer no*promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of
consistency.**

Potato pancakes Alan Holbrook[_5_] General Cooking 30 16-05-2012 09:09 PM
Potato Pancakes Mom2SamTiny Recipes (moderated) 0 17-12-2006 12:06 AM
Potato pancakes Ken Knecht General Cooking 18 11-08-2006 02:49 AM
Potato Pancakes Duckie ® Recipes 0 27-10-2005 01:19 PM
Potato Pancakes Lorraine Vegan 3 06-03-2004 06:34 AM