FoodBanter.com

-   -   Cal Cab, Chablis, Surprise Chard (https://www.foodbanter.com/wine/391914-cal-cab-chablis-surprise.html)

Bi!! 11-12-2009 03:33 PM

Cal Cab, Chablis, Surprise Chard

I went to a holiday trade tasting last night. While I no longer have
an affiliation in the wine business, I still get some perks like
invites to tastings. Most of the wines were pedestrian and not note
worthy there were a few goodies.
2007 William Fevre "Le Clos" Chablis GC-light in color, nose of lemon
and limes. Farily tight on the palate with plenty of bright acidity
and minerality. Textbook Chablis. Like a squirt of fresh lemon and
lime in your mouth. I'd like to taste it again in year or two "A-"

2007 Gruet New Mexico Chardonnay-Quite a surprise. It was served
blind and I bounced back and forth between France and California.
Just a trace of oak for richness, nice bright fruit and acidity with a
long lingering finish that reminded me of Meursault. A tiny bit of
pineapple behind Meyer lemon on the palate. Nice for $15. "A-"

1996 Chateau Montelena Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon-I think this was
a library release. The wine showed little age, Typical Napa dust on
the nose with cassis and black cherry. Still plenty of fruit and a
bit of mineral. Black fruits and cedar with resolved tannins. Could
still use a few more years but drinking well now. "A"

Lawrence Leichtman[_2_] 11-12-2009 10:11 PM

Cal Cab, Chablis, Surprise Chard

In article
"Bi!!" > wrote:

> I went to a holiday trade tasting last night. While I no longer have
> an affiliation in the wine business, I still get some perks like
> invites to tastings. Most of the wines were pedestrian and not note
> worthy there were a few goodies.
> 2007 William Fevre "Le Clos" Chablis GC-light in color, nose of lemon
> and limes. Farily tight on the palate with plenty of bright acidity
> and minerality. Textbook Chablis. Like a squirt of fresh lemon and
> lime in your mouth. I'd like to taste it again in year or two "A-"
>
> 2007 Gruet New Mexico Chardonnay-Quite a surprise. It was served
> blind and I bounced back and forth between France and California.
> Just a trace of oak for richness, nice bright fruit and acidity with a
> long lingering finish that reminded me of Meursault. A tiny bit of
> pineapple behind Meyer lemon on the palate. Nice for $15. "A-"
>
> 1996 Chateau Montelena Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon-I think this was
> a library release. The wine showed little age, Typical Napa dust on
> the nose with cassis and black cherry. Still plenty of fruit and a
> bit of mineral. Black fruits and cedar with resolved tannins. Could
> still use a few more years but drinking well now. "A"

I have been pleasantly surprised by many wines from Gruet. They are
certainly a good value.

Mark Lipton[_1_] 11-12-2009 10:23 PM

Lawrence Leichtman wrote:

>> 1996 Chateau Montelena Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon-I think this was
>> a library release. The wine showed little age, Typical Napa dust on
>> the nose with cassis and black cherry. Still plenty of fruit and a
>> bit of mineral. Black fruits and cedar with resolved tannins. Could
>> still use a few more years but drinking well now. "A"

> I have been pleasantly surprised by many wines from Gruet. They are
> certainly a good value.

Ditto. And Bill, do you think that the '96 Montelena will ever develop
tertiary elements before descending into senescence? My one reservation
regarding their wines is that they remain so primary for so long.

Mark Lipton

Bi!! 12-12-2009 01:04 PM

On Dec 11, 5:23�pm, Mark Lipton > wrote:
> Lawrence Leichtman wrote:
> >> 1996 Chateau Montelena Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon-I think this was
> >> a library release. �The wine showed little age, �Typical Napa dust on
> >> the nose with cassis and black cherry. �Still plenty of fruit and a
> >> bit of mineral. �Black fruits and cedar with resolved tannins. �Could
> >> still use a few more years but drinking well now. �"A"

> > I have been pleasantly surprised by many wines from Gruet. They are
> > certainly a good value.

> Ditto. �And Bill, do you think that the '96 Montelena will ever develop
> tertiary elements before descending into senescence? �My one reservation
> regarding their wines is that they remain so primary for so long.
>
> Mark Lipton
>
> --
> alt.food.wine FAQ: �http://winefaq.cwdjr.net

It had developed a bit but as strange as this sounds I think it's a
bit shut down. It had just a bit of cigar box but overall it seemed
tight and dumb.