Wai Chu

Default Vegetal Wines

I am doing a tasting of vegetal wines in my wine club, and was wondering if
anyone has suggestions for a good one. Red or white would be fine. There
are, it seems, more terrible ones.

alfaekko

"Wai Chu" > skrev i en meddelelse
> I am doing a tasting of vegetal wines in my wine club, and was wondering

if
> anyone has suggestions for a good one. Red or white would be fine. There
> are, it seems, more terrible ones.

I am clueless. What is "a vegetal wine" if they aren't all of them?

Anders

st.helier

"Wai Chu" wrote...........

> I am doing a tasting of vegetal wines in my wine club,
> and was wondering if anyone has suggestions for a good one.
> Red or white would be fine. There are, it seems, more terrible ones.

"Vegetal" is not always regarded as a flattering adjective when describing a
wine.

Notwithstanding, there are a couple of wines which one *may* use that
descriptor.

Some Marlborough (New Zealand) Sauvignon Blanc may have nuances of
capsicum; tinned peas; or even asparagus among that zingy gooseberry
grassiness (I suppose grass is vegetation!)

Also, some Burgundy (red) can have a distinct vegetative "barnyardiness" -
I am sorry, I cannot recommend anything suitable.

However, generally, with most red wine varieties, "Vegetal" would denote
grapes, not ripened to optimum, and would not be regarded as a flattering
description.

--

st.helier

Michael Pronay

"Wai Chu" > wrote:

> I am doing a tasting of vegetal wines in my wine club

Are you sure you are talking about "vegetal" wines, not "varietal"
wines?

M.

Michael Pronay

"Wai Chu" > wrote:

> I am doing a tasting of vegetal wines in my wine club

Are you sure you are talking about "vegetal" wines, not "varietal"
wines?

M.
Steve Slatcher

On 19 Oct 2004 15:06:42 GMT, Michael Pronay > wrote:

>"Wai Chu" > wrote:
>
>> I am doing a tasting of vegetal wines in my wine club

>Are you sure you are talking about "vegetal" wines, not "varietal"
>wines?

Or "vegatable" or "vegetarian"?

--
Steve Slatcher
http://pobox.com/~steve.slatcher
Steve Slatcher

On 19 Oct 2004 15:06:42 GMT, Michael Pronay > wrote:

>"Wai Chu" > wrote:
>
>> I am doing a tasting of vegetal wines in my wine club

>Are you sure you are talking about "vegetal" wines, not "varietal"
>wines?

Or "vegatable" or "vegetarian"?

--
Steve Slatcher
http://pobox.com/~steve.slatcher
winemonger

"Wai Chu" > wrote in message >...
> I am doing a tasting of vegetal wines in my wine club, and was wondering if
> anyone has suggestions for a good one. Red or white would be fine. There
> are, it seems, more terrible ones.

In the situation where "vegetal" is a good thing (perhaps you could
use a word more like "green" ?), I would suggest these:

Johann Donabaum Spitzer Point Gruner Veltliner Reserve 2001: which
Johann describes as having "a little bit of green aromas inside, in
the direction of gooseberry"
and
Josef Hogl Georg Gruner Veltliner 2003

The following have what the vintners described as a sort of "leafy"
note:
Erwin Sabathi Classic Sauvignon Blanc 2003
Stefan & Eduard Tscheppe Czamillonberg Sauvignon Blanc 2002
Erwin Tschermonegg Oberglanzberg Sauvignon Blanc 2002

And these have what the vintners have describes as "herbal" or "herb"
notes:
Johann Donabaum Offenberg Riesling Smaragd 2002
Johann Donabaum Spitzer Point Gruner Veltliner Smaragd 2002
Erwin Tschermonegg Gelber Muskateller 2003
Weiss Gruner Veltliner Eiswein 1999

best of luck,
e.

______________________
www.winemonger.com
winemonger

"Wai Chu" > wrote in message >...
> I am doing a tasting of vegetal wines in my wine club, and was wondering if
> anyone has suggestions for a good one. Red or white would be fine. There
> are, it seems, more terrible ones.

In the situation where "vegetal" is a good thing (perhaps you could
use a word more like "green" ?), I would suggest these:

Johann Donabaum Spitzer Point Gruner Veltliner Reserve 2001: which
Johann describes as having "a little bit of green aromas inside, in
the direction of gooseberry"
and
Josef Hogl Georg Gruner Veltliner 2003

The following have what the vintners described as a sort of "leafy"
note:
Erwin Sabathi Classic Sauvignon Blanc 2003
Stefan & Eduard Tscheppe Czamillonberg Sauvignon Blanc 2002
Erwin Tschermonegg Oberglanzberg Sauvignon Blanc 2002

And these have what the vintners have describes as "herbal" or "herb"
notes:
Johann Donabaum Offenberg Riesling Smaragd 2002
Johann Donabaum Spitzer Point Gruner Veltliner Smaragd 2002
Erwin Tschermonegg Gelber Muskateller 2003
Weiss Gruner Veltliner Eiswein 1999

best of luck,
e.

www.winemonger.com

When wines go from being wine boutique wines to supermarket wines Michael Nielsen[_4_] Wine 5 16-05-2015 07:49 PM
Pyrazine/vegetal flavor aesthete8 Wine 8 16-12-2012 03:43 AM
"I also think that mature wines have much more savory tones thanyoung wines, which lean much on fruit, thus making mature wines muchfriendlier to a varied menu." aesthete8 Wine 8 05-11-2010 02:12 AM
TN: wines with pasta, wines with rice noodles, wines with fondue DaleW Wine 1 26-12-2006 04:23 AM
Looking for the most vegetal "fishy" green possible Dominic T. Tea 16 25-07-2006 08:54 AM