Old 17-10-2004, 12:57 PM
Ipavec

Default Slovenian wines - the Ipavec family.

Hello!

If you know wines from italian region Friuli-Venezia Giulia, you should
know Slovenian wines from Brda (slovenian part of Italy's Collio) and
Vipava valley as well!

We invite you to visit our new website at:

http://www.vina-ipavec.com

We are slovenian wine makers from Osek, a village located approximately
10 kilometres from the border between Slovenia and Italy.

If you would like to receive more information about us or our wines do
not hesitate to contact us!

Regards,

the Ipavec family

____________________________________
The IPAVEC family
Osek 4b
5261 Šempas
SLOVENIA

Telefon: +386 5 308 88 69
Fax: +386 5 308 86 10
GSM: +386 41 774 232

www: http://www.vina-ipavec.com

Old 17-10-2004, 10:07 PM
Vino

On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 13:57:21 +0200, Ipavec
wrote:

Hello!

If you know wines from italian region Friuli-Venezia Giulia, you should
know Slovenian wines from Brda (slovenian part of Italy's Collio) and
Vipava valley as well!

We invite you to visit our new website at:

http://www.vina-ipavec.com

We are slovenian wine makers from Osek, a village located approximately
10 kilometres from the border between Slovenia and Italy.

If you would like to receive more information about us or our wines do
not hesitate to contact us!

Regards,

the Ipavec family

Under other circumstances I would consider this a commercial posting
and against the rules of AFW. But in good conscience, I can't do this.
I admire the fortitude of people like this who are trying to make a go
of something like this after years of communist domination. I don't
know that I will ever have an opportunity to purchase one of their
wines but, by God, if I ever see one in a wine shop, I'll buy it, if
nothing else, as a tribute to the ability of the human spirit to
endure.

Vino
Old 17-10-2004, 10:28 PM
Steve Slatcher

wrote:

Hello!

If you know wines from italian region Friuli-Venezia Giulia, you should
know Slovenian wines from Brda (slovenian part of Italy's Collio) and
Vipava valley as well!

We invite you to visit our new website at:

http://www.vina-ipavec.com

We are slovenian wine makers from Osek, a village located approximately
10 kilometres from the border between Slovenia and Italy.

If you would like to receive more information about us or our wines do
not hesitate to contact us!

Regards,

the Ipavec family

Under other circumstances I would consider this a commercial posting
and against the rules of AFW. But in good conscience, I can't do this.

Indeed you cannot, in any conscience:
http://www.virtual-ink.com.au/afw-faq/guide.htm#3.4

--
Steve Slatcher
http://pobox.com/~steve.slatcher

Old 17-10-2004, 11:06 PM
Vino

wrote:

Hello!

If you know wines from italian region Friuli-Venezia Giulia, you should
know Slovenian wines from Brda (slovenian part of Italy's Collio) and
Vipava valley as well!

We invite you to visit our new website at:

http://www.vina-ipavec.com

We are slovenian wine makers from Osek, a village located approximately
10 kilometres from the border between Slovenia and Italy.

If you would like to receive more information about us or our wines do
not hesitate to contact us!

Regards,

the Ipavec family

Under other circumstances I would consider this a commercial posting
and against the rules of AFW. But in good conscience, I can't do this.

Indeed you cannot, in any conscience:
http://www.virtual-ink.com.au/afw-faq/guide.htm#3.4

Thanks for the clarification. It's good to know that the rules of AFW
are reasonable and flexible enough to take into account this kind of
situation. I believe that this particular case goes beyond (in a good
way) the intent of the rules you referred me to. We have no
disagreement.

Vino

Vino

Old 17-10-2004, 11:34 PM
Michael Pronay

Ipavec wrote:

If you know wines from italian region Friuli-Venezia Giulia, you
should know Slovenian wines from Brda (slovenian part of Italy's
Collio) and Vipava valley as well!

I happen to know a little about them. We tasted 71 wines imported
to Austria this afternoon, among them three from Slovenia, one
each from Dolfo, Movia, and Otmar Sturm. (I had better that these,
but that's another story.)

M.
Old 17-10-2004, 11:45 PM
Ipavec

Hello!

Thank you for you comment! I did not want to make anyone here angry or
maybe offended by this post. If you dislike 'advertising', please,
ignore it!

By the way, Vino, regarding your comment on buying our wines... Please,
visit our website, surf to 'Inquiries' and send us your address. I will
do my best to send you one of our bottles for free!

And, to all of you, if anyone is coming to Italy (especially to
Friuli-Venezia Giulia region), you are all very welcome to our home in
Slovenia to see what we have to offer!

If you need more information on how to come to our home, please, visit
our website, and send us an email!

Regards,

the Ipavec family

____________________________________
The IPAVEC family
Osek 4b
5261 Šempas
SLOVENIA

Telefon: +386 5 308 88 69
Fax: +386 5 308 86 10
GSM: +386 41 774 232

www: http://www.vina-ipavec.com

Old 17-10-2004, 11:48 PM
Ipavec

Michael Pronay wrote:
Ipavec wrote:

If you know wines from italian region Friuli-Venezia Giulia, you
should know Slovenian wines from Brda (slovenian part of Italy's
Collio) and Vipava valley as well!

I happen to know a little about them. We tasted 71 wines imported
to Austria this afternoon, among them three from Slovenia, one
each from Dolfo, Movia, and Otmar Sturm. (I had better that these,
but that's another story.)

M.

Hello!

Could you please tell more about these (Slovenian) wines? What do you
think of them?

Ipavec

Old 18-10-2004, 06:02 AM
Vino

On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 00:45:25 +0200, Ipavec
wrote:

Hello!

Thank you for you comment! I did not want to make anyone here angry or
maybe offended by this post. If you dislike 'advertising', please,
ignore it!

By the way, Vino, regarding your comment on buying our wines... Please,
visit our website, surf to 'Inquiries' and send us your address. I will
do my best to send you one of our bottles for free!

And, to all of you, if anyone is coming to Italy (especially to
Friuli-Venezia Giulia region), you are all very welcome to our home in
Slovenia to see what we have to offer!

If you need more information on how to come to our home, please, visit
our website, and send us an email!

Regards,

the Ipavec family

My response to your original posting was very poorly worded and I
apologize for that. I was not angry or offended by your posting. Just
the opposite. My intent was to express admiration for what you are
doing. And as a subsequent poster pointed out, your posting was well
within the bounds of what is considered acceptable in this newsgroup.

Thanks for your generous offer. I would love to be able to order one
(or more) of your wines and have you ship it (them) to me. But it
would be a futile act. If you were to attempt to ship a bottle to me,
it would undoubtedly be seized by some US customs agent and probably
destroyed. But I will remember the Ipavec name and if I ever see one
of your wines on a shelf anywhere in the world, I'll buy it. I doubt
that I will ever make it to Slovenia but if I do, I'll stop by for a
visit.

Best wishes to your family.

Vino

Old 18-10-2004, 09:17 AM
Michael Pronay

Ipavec wrote:

Could you please tell more about these (Slovenian) wines? What
do you think of them?

Well, I have known Dolfo (Marko Skocaj) and Movia (Ales
Kristancic) - sorry for missing diacriticals - for some years now,
and been to Dolfo once and to Movia two or three times. Movia in
my eyes is easily the best producer in Slovenia - ar least the
best I have come across.

The wines, however, were less than inspiring. Dolfo's Merlot 2000
(12.8%) was already tiring, as was Movia's Merlot 1997 (12%). But
the latter probably was sent by accident, since the registration
sheet read Merlot 1998 (13%). Slovenian reads generally are
lighter in alcohol (thus ligther in body) than the whites, so it's
rather difficult for them to compete on the global market. Whiles
the whites are really fine, they have still homework to do with
the reds, especially lowering the yields.

Otmar Sturm's Modra Frankinja 2000 (12.7%, a grape known as
Blaufränkisch in Slovenia's northern neighbouring country) was not
bad, but then we are spoilt children here in Austria, where
Blaufränkisch can do marvellous things.

M.
Old 18-10-2004, 04:06 PM
Vincent

Hello Mr. Ipavec,

Two years ago, my wife and I spent 23 days in what I like to refer to as
"extreme Northeast Italy." We stayed mostly in small towns along our route
(B&B's when available). Starting in Verona, we worked our way north (with a
3-day sidetrack to Lake Garda), east through the Dolamites, and south to
Venice (where we dropped off the rented car). After 3 days in Venice, we
took a train and spent the final 4 days in Trieste.

On the 2nd to the last day,a sidetrack to the town of Koper, Slovenia was
one of the most delightful parts of an already-wonderful trip. The bus
dropped us off at the station, and we had 4+ hours before the return bus
would take us back. I thought we'd have a little lunch first, and then see
what else the small town had to offer. Now you have to understand that -- to
an American -- lunch is usually though of as just one step above a snack.
Typically, under an hour, however we do tend to "relax" a little more when
on vacation (especially outside the US where restaurants don't make you feel
as if they are rushing you). We have spent a whole 90 minutes on many such
occasions, and as long as 2 hours a time or two.

So imagine our shock, when 4 hours after we sat down, we were still at the
restaurant and realized it was time to go!! But it was a "good" shock, a
very good one, indeed. We ate at this outdoor Marina restaurant which
overlooked the Adriatic, eating seafood that was caught only hours before.
It was the single most relaxing and peaceful "lunch" I ever had, and the
single best dining experience of the trip (which was full of other 5-star
gems as well). We will always have a warm spot in out hearts for Koper, and
pledged to visit Slovenia again someday (to meet the people and see some
sites, in addition to the food). We origianally thought 2006, but we have
since given birth to a son, so now that can't happen in 2006. But some
day...

As for the wine, we did ask the waiter for a local recommendation, and the
white wine we had was wonderful. I asked if he'd write down the name of the
wine for us (the bottle had been taken away after it was emptied), but he
did one better and presented us with the label. The label on your website
looks so familiar! I believe that my wife put the label in out photo album,
and I will be sure to check it out tonight (I'll let you know). What a
"small world" situation THAT would be!! Is your wine available in US?

Thanks for the post! It allowed me to re-live some great memories!!

\/

Old 18-10-2004, 05:25 PM
Joe Rosenberg

In the mid 1990's I was involved in a project importing wines from the Czech
Republic and neighboring countries.I was particularly impressed with the
Frankova and merlot as "bargain" wines as well as the white varietals, but
once the prices on USA retailers shelves rose and we tasted "better" wines,
there was little commercial interest. At the time the BATF was very
resistant to grape names like vavrenichke and frankova and held up the
import of wines with those names on labels until they could establish that
these varietals were legit(No one @ BATF knew about Jancis Robinson) so
orders for the Thanksgiving and Christmas season stayed in Europe while our
associates had to prepare monographs on indigenous grapes. I hope these
problems have been addressed.

Buon fortuna to Ipavec family.

--
Joe "Beppe" Rosenberg
om...

"Ipavec" wrote in message
Hello!

If you know wines from italian region Friuli-Venezia Giulia, you should
know Slovenian wines from Brda (slovenian part of Italy's Collio) and
Vipava valley as well!

We invite you to visit our new website at:

http://www.vina-ipavec.com

We are slovenian wine makers from Osek, a village located approximately
10 kilometres from the border between Slovenia and Italy.

If you would like to receive more information about us or our wines do
not hesitate to contact us!

Regards,

the Ipavec family

____________________________________
The IPAVEC family
Osek 4b
5261 Sempas
SLOVENIA

Telefon: +386 5 308 88 69
Fax: +386 5 308 86 10
GSM: +386 41 774 232

www: http://www.vina-ipavec.com

Old 18-10-2004, 09:40 PM
Matija Gerzina

Hello!

Joe, just to remind you, Slovenia is not Slovakia. Slovakia was a part
of Czechoslovakia (or something like that - I am not sure about the
spelling), Slovenia was a part of Yugoslavia. We are from Slovenia. (I
am sorry if I misunderstood you, but I just thought you were thinking of
Slovakia, not Slovenia). However, thank you for your best wishes. I
believe hard work, and devotion to wine making is and will stay more
important even than Forutna!

Vincent, it is very nice to hear such experiences and I do hope you will
have another chance to visit our country and when you do, you are
welcome to our home as well.

Michael. Movia is in fact known as Slovenia's or at least Brda's
(Slovenian part of Italy's Collio) best wine maker and also the most
known in foreign countries. I believe it is all hidden in the hard work
Ales (Kristancic) put into marketing and promoting his wines and of
course in his and his father's vineyards.
However, I hope and wish that in the 'not so far away' future I will
read a post from you or maybe someone else from AFW saying that Ipavec
wines are at least close to if not even better than Movia's ))

Vino. I did not know that sending a bottle to the US would end up
like you described (we did not send a single bottle to the US yet, but I
thought a bottle or two would not cause any problems...).
If someone I know will be travelling to the US, I will try to arrange
with him/her to take a bottle or two and then send it to you from inside
the US (would this 'go through'?).

Regards,

Ipavec