FoodBanter.com

-   -   Slovenian wines - the Ipavec family. (https://www.foodbanter.com/wine/38786-slovenian-wines-ipavec-family.html)

Ipavec 17-10-2004 12:57 PM

Slovenian wines - the Ipavec family.

Hello!

If you know wines from italian region Friuli-Venezia Giulia, you should
know Slovenian wines from Brda (slovenian part of Italy's Collio) and
Vipava valley as well!

We invite you to visit our new website at:

http://www.vina-ipavec.com

We are slovenian wine makers from Osek, a village located approximately
10 kilometres from the border between Slovenia and Italy.

If you would like to receive more information about us or our wines do
not hesitate to contact us!

Regards,

the Ipavec family

____________________________________
The IPAVEC family
Osek 4b
5261 各mpas
SLOVENIA

Telefon: +386 5 308 88 69
Fax: +386 5 308 86 10
GSM: +386 41 774 232

www: http://www.vina-ipavec.com

Vino 17-10-2004 10:07 PM

On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 13:57:21 +0200, Ipavec
> wrote:

>Hello!
>
>If you know wines from italian region Friuli-Venezia Giulia, you should
>know Slovenian wines from Brda (slovenian part of Italy's Collio) and
>Vipava valley as well!
>
>We invite you to visit our new website at:
>
>http://www.vina-ipavec.com
>
>We are slovenian wine makers from Osek, a village located approximately
>10 kilometres from the border between Slovenia and Italy.
>
>If you would like to receive more information about us or our wines do
>not hesitate to contact us!
>
>Regards,
>
>the Ipavec family

Under other circumstances I would consider this a commercial posting
and against the rules of AFW. But in good conscience, I can't do this.
I admire the fortitude of people like this who are trying to make a go
of something like this after years of communist domination. I don't
know that I will ever have an opportunity to purchase one of their
wines but, by God, if I ever see one in a wine shop, I'll buy it, if
nothing else, as a tribute to the ability of the human spirit to
endure.

Vino

Steve Slatcher 17-10-2004 10:28 PM

On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 21:07:41 GMT, Vino > wrote:

>On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 13:57:21 +0200, Ipavec
> wrote:
>
>>Hello!
>>
>>If you know wines from italian region Friuli-Venezia Giulia, you should
>>know Slovenian wines from Brda (slovenian part of Italy's Collio) and
>>Vipava valley as well!
>>
>>We invite you to visit our new website at:
>>
>>http://www.vina-ipavec.com
>>
>>We are slovenian wine makers from Osek, a village located approximately
>>10 kilometres from the border between Slovenia and Italy.
>>
>>If you would like to receive more information about us or our wines do
>>not hesitate to contact us!
>>
>>Regards,
>>
>>the Ipavec family

>Under other circumstances I would consider this a commercial posting
>and against the rules of AFW. But in good conscience, I can't do this.

Indeed you cannot, in any conscience:
http://www.virtual-ink.com.au/afw-faq/guide.htm#3.4

--
Steve Slatcher
http://pobox.com/~steve.slatcher

Steve Slatcher 17-10-2004 10:28 PM

Vino 17-10-2004 11:06 PM

On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 22:28:06 +0100, Steve Slatcher
> wrote:

>On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 21:07:41 GMT, Vino > wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 13:57:21 +0200, Ipavec
> wrote:
>>
>>>Hello!
>>>
>>>If you know wines from italian region Friuli-Venezia Giulia, you should
>>>know Slovenian wines from Brda (slovenian part of Italy's Collio) and
>>>Vipava valley as well!
>>>
>>>We invite you to visit our new website at:
>>>
>>>http://www.vina-ipavec.com
>>>
>>>We are slovenian wine makers from Osek, a village located approximately
>>>10 kilometres from the border between Slovenia and Italy.
>>>
>>>If you would like to receive more information about us or our wines do
>>>not hesitate to contact us!
>>>
>>>Regards,
>>>
>>>the Ipavec family

>>Under other circumstances I would consider this a commercial posting
>>and against the rules of AFW. But in good conscience, I can't do this.

>Indeed you cannot, in any conscience:
>http://www.virtual-ink.com.au/afw-faq/guide.htm#3.4

Thanks for the clarification. It's good to know that the rules of AFW
are reasonable and flexible enough to take into account this kind of
situation. I believe that this particular case goes beyond (in a good
way) the intent of the rules you referred me to. We have no
disagreement.

Vino

Vino

Michael Pronay 17-10-2004 11:34 PM

Ipavec > wrote:

> If you know wines from italian region Friuli-Venezia Giulia, you
> should know Slovenian wines from Brda (slovenian part of Italy's
> Collio) and Vipava valley as well!

I happen to know a little about them. We tasted 71 wines imported
to Austria this afternoon, among them three from Slovenia, one
each from Dolfo, Movia, and Otmar Sturm. (I had better that these,
but that's another story.)

M.

Ipavec 17-10-2004 11:45 PM

Hello!

Thank you for you comment! I did not want to make anyone here angry or
maybe offended by this post. If you dislike 'advertising', please,
ignore it!

By the way, Vino, regarding your comment on buying our wines... Please,
visit our website, surf to 'Inquiries' and send us your address. I will
do my best to send you one of our bottles for free!

And, to all of you, if anyone is coming to Italy (especially to
Friuli-Venezia Giulia region), you are all very welcome to our home in
Slovenia to see what we have to offer!

If you need more information on how to come to our home, please, visit
our website, and send us an email!

Regards,

the Ipavec family

____________________________________
The IPAVEC family
Osek 4b
5261 各mpas
SLOVENIA

Telefon: +386 5 308 88 69
Fax: +386 5 308 86 10
GSM: +386 41 774 232

www: http://www.vina-ipavec.com

Ipavec 17-10-2004 11:48 PM

Michael Pronay wrote:
> Ipavec > wrote:
>

>>If you know wines from italian region Friuli-Venezia Giulia, you
>>should know Slovenian wines from Brda (slovenian part of Italy's
>>Collio) and Vipava valley as well!

> I happen to know a little about them. We tasted 71 wines imported
> to Austria this afternoon, among them three from Slovenia, one
> each from Dolfo, Movia, and Otmar Sturm. (I had better that these,
> but that's another story.)
>
> M.

Hello!

Could you please tell more about these (Slovenian) wines? What do you
think of them?

Ipavec

Vino 18-10-2004 06:02 AM

On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 00:45:25 +0200, Ipavec
> wrote:

>Hello!
>
>Thank you for you comment! I did not want to make anyone here angry or
>maybe offended by this post. If you dislike 'advertising', please,
>ignore it!
>
>By the way, Vino, regarding your comment on buying our wines... Please,
>visit our website, surf to 'Inquiries' and send us your address. I will
>do my best to send you one of our bottles for free!
>
>And, to all of you, if anyone is coming to Italy (especially to
>Friuli-Venezia Giulia region), you are all very welcome to our home in
>Slovenia to see what we have to offer!
>
>If you need more information on how to come to our home, please, visit
>our website, and send us an email!
>
>Regards,
>
>the Ipavec family

My response to your original posting was very poorly worded and I
apologize for that. I was not angry or offended by your posting. Just
the opposite. My intent was to express admiration for what you are
doing. And as a subsequent poster pointed out, your posting was well
within the bounds of what is considered acceptable in this newsgroup.

Thanks for your generous offer. I would love to be able to order one
(or more) of your wines and have you ship it (them) to me. But it
would be a futile act. If you were to attempt to ship a bottle to me,
it would undoubtedly be seized by some US customs agent and probably
destroyed. But I will remember the Ipavec name and if I ever see one
of your wines on a shelf anywhere in the world, I'll buy it. I doubt
that I will ever make it to Slovenia but if I do, I'll stop by for a
visit.

Best wishes to your family.

Vino

Vino 18-10-2004 06:02 AM

Michael Pronay 18-10-2004 09:17 AM

Ipavec > wrote:

> Could you please tell more about these (Slovenian) wines? What
> do you think of them?

Well, I have known Dolfo (Marko Skocaj) and Movia (Ales
Kristancic) - sorry for missing diacriticals - for some years now,
and been to Dolfo once and to Movia two or three times. Movia in
my eyes is easily the best producer in Slovenia - ar least the
best I have come across.

The wines, however, were less than inspiring. Dolfo's Merlot 2000
(12.8%) was already tiring, as was Movia's Merlot 1997 (12%). But
the latter probably was sent by accident, since the registration
sheet read Merlot 1998 (13%). Slovenian reads generally are
lighter in alcohol (thus ligther in body) than the whites, so it's
rather difficult for them to compete on the global market. Whiles
the whites are really fine, they have still homework to do with
the reds, especially lowering the yields.

Otmar Sturm's Modra Frankinja 2000 (12.7%, a grape known as
Blaufr舅kisch in Slovenia's northern neighbouring country) was not
bad, but then we are spoilt children here in Austria, where
Blaufr舅kisch can do marvellous things.

M.

Vincent 18-10-2004 04:06 PM

Hello Mr. Ipavec,

Two years ago, my wife and I spent 23 days in what I like to refer to as
"extreme Northeast Italy." We stayed mostly in small towns along our route
(B&B's when available). Starting in Verona, we worked our way north (with a
3-day sidetrack to Lake Garda), east through the Dolamites, and south to
Venice (where we dropped off the rented car). After 3 days in Venice, we
took a train and spent the final 4 days in Trieste.

On the 2nd to the last day,a sidetrack to the town of Koper, Slovenia was
one of the most delightful parts of an already-wonderful trip. The bus
dropped us off at the station, and we had 4+ hours before the return bus
would take us back. I thought we'd have a little lunch first, and then see
what else the small town had to offer. Now you have to understand that -- to
an American -- lunch is usually though of as just one step above a snack.
Typically, under an hour, however we do tend to "relax" a little more when
on vacation (especially outside the US where restaurants don't make you feel
as if they are rushing you). We have spent a whole 90 minutes on many such
occasions, and as long as 2 hours a time or two.

So imagine our shock, when 4 hours after we sat down, we were still at the
restaurant and realized it was time to go!! But it was a "good" shock, a
very good one, indeed. We ate at this outdoor Marina restaurant which
overlooked the Adriatic, eating seafood that was caught only hours before.
It was the single most relaxing and peaceful "lunch" I ever had, and the
single best dining experience of the trip (which was full of other 5-star
gems as well). We will always have a warm spot in out hearts for Koper, and
pledged to visit Slovenia again someday (to meet the people and see some
sites, in addition to the food). We origianally thought 2006, but we have
since given birth to a son, so now that can't happen in 2006. But some
day...

As for the wine, we did ask the waiter for a local recommendation, and the
white wine we had was wonderful. I asked if he'd write down the name of the
wine for us (the bottle had been taken away after it was emptied), but he
did one better and presented us with the label. The label on your website
looks so familiar! I believe that my wife put the label in out photo album,
and I will be sure to check it out tonight (I'll let you know). What a
"small world" situation THAT would be!! Is your wine available in US?

Thanks for the post! It allowed me to re-live some great memories!!

\/

Joe Rosenberg 18-10-2004 05:25 PM

In the mid 1990's I was involved in a project importing wines from the Czech
Republic and neighboring countries.I was particularly impressed with the
Frankova and merlot as "bargain" wines as well as the white varietals, but
once the prices on USA retailers shelves rose and we tasted "better" wines,
there was little commercial interest. At the time the BATF was very
resistant to grape names like vavrenichke and frankova and held up the
import of wines with those names on labels until they could establish that
these varietals were legit(No one @ BATF knew about Jancis Robinson) so
orders for the Thanksgiving and Christmas season stayed in Europe while our
associates had to prepare monographs on indigenous grapes. I hope these
problems have been addressed.

Buon fortuna to Ipavec family.

--
Joe "Beppe" Rosenberg
om...

Joe Rosenberg 18-10-2004 05:25 PM

[...]

om...

Matija Gerzina 18-10-2004 09:40 PM

Hello!

Joe, just to remind you, Slovenia is not Slovakia. Slovakia was a part
of Czechoslovakia (or something like that - I am not sure about the
spelling), Slovenia was a part of Yugoslavia. We are from Slovenia. (I
am sorry if I misunderstood you, but I just thought you were thinking of
Slovakia, not Slovenia). However, thank you for your best wishes. I
believe hard work, and devotion to wine making is and will stay more
important even than Forutna! :)

Vincent, it is very nice to hear such experiences and I do hope you will
have another chance to visit our country and when you do, you are
welcome to our home as well.

Michael. Movia is in fact known as Slovenia's or at least Brda's
(Slovenian part of Italy's Collio) best wine maker and also the most
known in foreign countries. I believe it is all hidden in the hard work
Ales (Kristancic) put into marketing and promoting his wines and of
course in his and his father's vineyards. :)
However, I hope and wish that in the 'not so far away' future I will
read a post from you or maybe someone else from AFW saying that Ipavec
wines are at least close to if not even better than Movia's ;)))

Vino. I did not know that sending a bottle to the US would end up
like you described (we did not send a single bottle to the US yet, but I
thought a bottle or two would not cause any problems...).
If someone I know will be travelling to the US, I will try to arrange
with him/her to take a bottle or two and then send it to you from inside
the US (would this 'go through'?).

Regards,

Ipavec

Vino 19-10-2004 12:27 AM

On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 22:40:15 +0200, Matija Gerzina
> wrote:

>Hello!

>Vino. I did not know that sending a bottle to the US would end up
>like you described (we did not send a single bottle to the US yet, but I
>thought a bottle or two would not cause any problems...).
>If someone I know will be travelling to the US, I will try to arrange
>with him/her to take a bottle or two and then send it to you from inside
>the US (would this 'go through'?).
>
>Regards,
>
>Ipavec

I very much appreciate the offer but I'm afraid there is too much of a
chance that someone would get into trouble. We have some strange laws
in the USA regarding shipment of alcoholic beverages *to individuals*,
both into the country and into certain states. I don't pretend to
understand them all but I prefer to err on the side of caution. I wish
you every success in finding someone who can import your wines into
the USA legally. As I've said before, I'll remember the name Ipavec
and if I ever see one of your wines on a shelf, I'll buy it.

Vino

Michael Pronay 19-10-2004 04:04 PM

Matija Gerzina > wrote:

> Movia is in fact known as Slovenia's or at least Brda's
> (Slovenian part of Italy's Collio) best wine maker and also the
> most known in foreign countries. I believe it is all hidden in
> the hard work Ales (Kristancic) put into marketing and promoting
> his wines and of course in his and his father's vineyards. :)

Not only marketing and vineyard work: He is also a little genius
in the cellar. Especially his barrel aged whites are exceptional.
I really would like to see one of these as a pirate in a white
Burgundy tasting!

M.

Michael Pronay 19-10-2004 04:04 PM

Ipavec 19-10-2004 11:09 PM

Hi!

I just want to apologize for my last post that was maybe a bit
confusing. I wrote it and post it from my official laptop that is why
another account was set.

Once again, sorry.

Regards,

Ip.

Joe Rosenberg 20-10-2004 04:05 AM

Regarding shipping sample to the US. In most states you can only ship wine
to licensed importer not a consumer and the labels for the wines must be
approved of by the US Government. However in my days as a broker only when
a government inspector actually opened a container and looked on the invoice
was the issue of label approval brought up and usually with only a warning.
I know occasionally anxious wineries would ship me samples c/o an importer
by air. Customs costs for this were quite high and usually were paid in
advance by the winery. The best advise is to sign up for as many trade
shows in Europe as you can and convince some importer to put your wines on
their next container, the importer then can arrange to get samples to your
consumer friends in the US in as legal way as possible.

--
Joe "Beppe" Rosenberg

Joe Rosenberg 20-10-2004 04:05 AM

winemonger 20-10-2004 11:20 PM

Just last evening we tasted some wines from KRAINZ in the
Ljutomer-Ormoz district. These were Sauvignon Blancs that were
imported to Austria and brought over for us to taste here in the U.S.,
with the idea that we might import them. I had no reference point for
Slovenian wine and was very impressed with the quality-for-the-price.
I am sure M.Pronay tasted these as well? We were told that the
Austrian producer Gross is lending some expertise, which I found very
interesting.

At any rate, we are very interested in exploring the possibility of
importing Slovenian wines, so I will send you another email
privately. It really isn't a good idea to send bottles to individuals
in the US (You are totally right, Vino) as even we have had bottles
tied up in customs when they check to make sure we do have an actual
importer license. And I am talking about a small amount of 6 bottles
or so!

So in the best possible scenario, your wines will find a U.S. importer
and then Vino can buy all he wants.

best,
e.
_________
www.winemonger.com

Michael Pronay 21-10-2004 11:41 PM

(winemonger) wrote:

> ... wines from KRAINZ in the Ljutomer-Ormoz district. [...]
> I am sure M.Pronay tasted these as well?

Sorry, not yet, I'm afraid.

M.

Michael Pronay 21-10-2004 11:41 PM

Ipavec 25-10-2004 08:28 PM

Mr Pronay, would you be interested in tasting our wines?

I was talking to a Slovenian wine expert who was willing to taste all of
our wines that we currently sell bottled. (6 different wines) However,
when I tried to contact him over email to check if he is still 'ready to
do it' I did not get a reply (for 14 days? and he is working in IT so he
must check email at least 10 times a day?).

So... now... we are looking for an expert from Slovenia or one of the
neighbouring countries (especially Italy or Austria) who would be
prepared to:
- receive our wines for free (one bottle of each wine --> 6 bottles)
- taste all of them
- write an objective (good or bad!) evaluation for each wine
- let us to write his notes on our website (at 'our wines' category)
(-) propose price range for each wine

If anyone is interested, please, feel free to send me an email (leave
_spam_ out of the email address) or simply reply to this post :)

Please, keep in mind that the transport costs will decide whether we
will send bottles to anyone at all :))

Regards,

Ip.

Dan the Man 26-10-2004 05:38 PM

The only Slovenian wines available here in Pennsylvania are sold under
the Avia label. The Riesling is good for the price (all are
US$7.89/magnum). Never tried the others. Are you familiar with this
label, Ipavec?

Dan-O

Michael Pronay 26-10-2004 05:41 PM

Ipavec > wrote:

> Mr Pronay, would you be interested in tasting our wines?

Sure! Contact me by mail (use "reply by mail" button to get my
true mail address).

M.

enoavidh 26-10-2004 05:59 PM

(Dan the Man) wrote in
om:

> The only Slovenian wines available here in Pennsylvania are sold under
> the Avia label. The Riesling is good for the price (all are
> US$7.89/magnum). Never tried the others. Are you familiar with this
> label, Ipavec?
>
> Dan-O

Actually, it looks like there are a couple of whites listed as available
besides the Avia:
MOVIA CHARDONNAY 00 $19.49
MOVIA RIBOLLA BRDA 00 $23.99

Hey, check this:
http://www.wein-reisen.com/movia_barrique1.html
http://www.wein-reisen.com/movia_barrique2.html

:)

ORACLE CHARDONNAY 03 $8.99
ORACLE SAUVIGNON BLANC 03 $8.99

Hmm, I can't find any web sites identifying this as Slovenian, but do see a
couple showing it as South African...oh well.

d:D

Ipavec 02-11-2004 08:08 PM

Dan the Man wrote:
> The only Slovenian wines available here in Pennsylvania are sold under
> the Avia label. The Riesling is good for the price (all are
> US$7.89/magnum). Never tried the others. Are you familiar with this
> label, Ipavec?
>
> Dan-O

Hello, Dan.

Regarding Avia label I know only, that it was established especially for
the export from Slovenia to the USA. I believe that the same wine was
sold in Slovenia under another label, but I am not sure what it is called.

However, I suggest you look for some other slovenian wines. I especially
'promote' wines from western part of Slovenia, that is neighbouring on
the Friuli-Venezia Giulia and Collio regions in Italy.

For example:
- Ipavec :) (not in the US yet, but we are working on it)
- Movia
- Batic
- Scurek
- Simcic
- ...

Regards,

fI

____________________________________
The IPAVEC family
Osek 4b
5261 各mpas
SLOVENIA

Telefon: +386 5 308 88 69
Fax: +386 5 308 86 10
GSM: +386 41 774 232

www: http://www.vina-ipavec.com

Ipavec 02-11-2004 08:08 PM

> Actually, it looks like there are a couple of whites listed as available
> besides the Avia:
> MOVIA CHARDONNAY 00 $19.49
> MOVIA RIBOLLA BRDA 00 $23.99
>
> Hey, check this:
> http://www.wein-reisen.com/movia_barrique1.html
> http://www.wein-reisen.com/movia_barrique2.html
>
> :)
>
> ORACLE CHARDONNAY 03 $8.99
> ORACLE SAUVIGNON BLANC 03 $8.99
>
> Hmm, I can't find any web sites identifying this as Slovenian, but do see a
> couple showing it as South African...oh well.
>
> d:D

Hello!

Well, I don't think ORACLE wines come from Slovenia. I did not meet such
label in Slovenia yet.

Regards,
Matija

Ipavec 02-11-2004 08:08 PM

Dan the Man 03-11-2004 06:20 PM

Ipavec > wrote in message >...
> Dan the Man wrote:
> > The only Slovenian wines available here in Pennsylvania are sold under
> > the Avia label. The Riesling is good for the price (all are
> > US$7.89/magnum). Never tried the others. Are you familiar with this
> > label, Ipavec?
> >
> > Dan-O
> >

> Hello, Dan.
>
> Regarding Avia label I know only, that it was established especially for
> the export from Slovenia to the USA. I believe that the same wine was
> sold in Slovenia under another label, but I am not sure what it is called.
>
> However, I suggest you look for some other slovenian wines. I especially
> 'promote' wines from western part of Slovenia, that is neighbouring on
> the Friuli-Venezia Giulia and Collio regions in Italy.
>
> For example:
> - Ipavec :) (not in the US yet, but we are working on it)
> - Movia
> - Batic
> - Scurek
> - Simcic
> - ...
>
> Regards,
>
> fI
>
> ____________________________________
> The IPAVEC family
> Osek 4b
> 5261 各mpas
> SLOVENIA
>
> Telefon: +386 5 308 88 69
> Fax: +386 5 308 86 10
> GSM: +386 41 774 232
>
> www: http://www.vina-ipavec.com

Sure thing, Ipavec. I'll keep looking.

Dan-O

Ipavec Bob 26-11-2020 11:15 PM

Slovenian wines - the Ipavec family.

Where in America can we purchase any Ipavec wines? We live in La Palma California (Southern Calif near yet about 30 kilometers south of Los Angeles)
Additionally, my name is Robert Ipavec (retired US Marine Corps) son of Stanislaw Ipavec who was the son of Anton Ipavec who was a farmer and land owner before coming to America to avoid Mussolini. Both my dad and grandpa were born in or around Rocina. (It was Italy when my dad was born and not Italy when Grandpa was born. Grandmamas maiden name was Louise Gec. Both grandpa and grandma were born in the 1880s. Anyone there related? Not often we find an Ipavec anywhere.. thank you in advance for your response.
PS I have a son named Matthew.

--
For full context, visit https://www.drinksforum.com/wine/slo...ily-72331-.htm