Old 19-10-2004, 12:27 AM
Vino

On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 22:40:15 +0200, Matija Gerzina
wrote:

Hello!

Vino. I did not know that sending a bottle to the US would end up
like you described (we did not send a single bottle to the US yet, but I
thought a bottle or two would not cause any problems...).
If someone I know will be travelling to the US, I will try to arrange
with him/her to take a bottle or two and then send it to you from inside
the US (would this 'go through'?).

Regards,

Ipavec

I very much appreciate the offer but I'm afraid there is too much of a
chance that someone would get into trouble. We have some strange laws
in the USA regarding shipment of alcoholic beverages *to individuals*,
both into the country and into certain states. I don't pretend to
understand them all but I prefer to err on the side of caution. I wish
you every success in finding someone who can import your wines into
the USA legally. As I've said before, I'll remember the name Ipavec
and if I ever see one of your wines on a shelf, I'll buy it.

Vino

Old 19-10-2004, 04:04 PM
Michael Pronay

Matija Gerzina wrote:

Movia is in fact known as Slovenia's or at least Brda's
(Slovenian part of Italy's Collio) best wine maker and also the
most known in foreign countries. I believe it is all hidden in
the hard work Ales (Kristancic) put into marketing and promoting
his wines and of course in his and his father's vineyards.

Not only marketing and vineyard work: He is also a little genius
in the cellar. Especially his barrel aged whites are exceptional.
I really would like to see one of these as a pirate in a white
Burgundy tasting!

M.

Old 19-10-2004, 11:09 PM
Ipavec

Hi!

I just want to apologize for my last post that was maybe a bit
confusing. I wrote it and post it from my official laptop that is why
another account was set.

Once again, sorry.

Regards,

Ip.

Old 20-10-2004, 04:05 AM
Joe Rosenberg

Regarding shipping sample to the US. In most states you can only ship wine
to licensed importer not a consumer and the labels for the wines must be
approved of by the US Government. However in my days as a broker only when
a government inspector actually opened a container and looked on the invoice
was the issue of label approval brought up and usually with only a warning.
I know occasionally anxious wineries would ship me samples c/o an importer
by air. Customs costs for this were quite high and usually were paid in
advance by the winery. The best advise is to sign up for as many trade
shows in Europe as you can and convince some importer to put your wines on
their next container, the importer then can arrange to get samples to your
consumer friends in the US in as legal way as possible.

--
Joe "Beppe" Rosenberg

Old 20-10-2004, 11:20 PM
winemonger

Just last evening we tasted some wines from KRAINZ in the
Ljutomer-Ormoz district. These were Sauvignon Blancs that were
imported to Austria and brought over for us to taste here in the U.S.,
with the idea that we might import them. I had no reference point for
Slovenian wine and was very impressed with the quality-for-the-price.
I am sure M.Pronay tasted these as well? We were told that the
Austrian producer Gross is lending some expertise, which I found very
interesting.

At any rate, we are very interested in exploring the possibility of
importing Slovenian wines, so I will send you another email
privately. It really isn't a good idea to send bottles to individuals
in the US (You are totally right, Vino) as even we have had bottles
tied up in customs when they check to make sure we do have an actual
importer license. And I am talking about a small amount of 6 bottles
or so!

So in the best possible scenario, your wines will find a U.S. importer
and then Vino can buy all he wants.

best,
e.
_________
www.winemonger.com

Old 25-10-2004, 08:28 PM
Ipavec

Mr Pronay, would you be interested in tasting our wines?

I was talking to a Slovenian wine expert who was willing to taste all of
our wines that we currently sell bottled. (6 different wines) However,
when I tried to contact him over email to check if he is still 'ready to
do it' I did not get a reply (for 14 days? and he is working in IT so he
must check email at least 10 times a day?).

So... now... we are looking for an expert from Slovenia or one of the
neighbouring countries (especially Italy or Austria) who would be
prepared to:
- receive our wines for free (one bottle of each wine -- 6 bottles)
- taste all of them
- write an objective (good or bad!) evaluation for each wine
- let us to write his notes on our website (at 'our wines' category)
(-) propose price range for each wine

If anyone is interested, please, feel free to send me an email (leave
_spam_ out of the email address) or simply reply to this post

Please, keep in mind that the transport costs will decide whether we
will send bottles to anyone at all )

Regards,

Ip.

Old 26-10-2004, 05:38 PM
Dan the Man

The only Slovenian wines available here in Pennsylvania are sold under
the Avia label. The Riesling is good for the price (all are
US$7.89/magnum). Never tried the others. Are you familiar with this
label, Ipavec?

Dan-O

Ipavec wrote in message ...
Hello!

If you know wines from italian region Friuli-Venezia Giulia, you should
know Slovenian wines from Brda (slovenian part of Italy's Collio) and
Vipava valley as well!

We invite you to visit our new website at:

http://www.vina-ipavec.com

We are slovenian wine makers from Osek, a village located approximately
10 kilometres from the border between Slovenia and Italy.

If you would like to receive more information about us or our wines do
not hesitate to contact us!

Regards,

the Ipavec family

____________________________________
The IPAVEC family
Osek 4b
5261 Šempas
SLOVENIA

Telefon: +386 5 308 88 69
Fax: +386 5 308 86 10
GSM: +386 41 774 232

www: http://www.vina-ipavec.com

Old 26-10-2004, 05:41 PM
Michael Pronay

Ipavec wrote:

Mr Pronay, would you be interested in tasting our wines?

Sure! Contact me by mail (use "reply by mail" button to get my
true mail address).

M.
Old 02-11-2004, 08:08 PM
Ipavec

Dan the Man wrote:
The only Slovenian wines available here in Pennsylvania are sold under
the Avia label. The Riesling is good for the price (all are
US$7.89/magnum). Never tried the others. Are you familiar with this
label, Ipavec?

Dan-O

Hello, Dan.

Regarding Avia label I know only, that it was established especially for
the export from Slovenia to the USA. I believe that the same wine was
sold in Slovenia under another label, but I am not sure what it is called.

However, I suggest you look for some other slovenian wines. I especially
'promote' wines from western part of Slovenia, that is neighbouring on
the Friuli-Venezia Giulia and Collio regions in Italy.

For example:
- Ipavec (not in the US yet, but we are working on it)
- Movia
- Batic
- Scurek
- Simcic