Nils Gustaf Lindgren

Default [TN] I Castei 2000 Valpolicella Classico Superiore Ripasso

Hello;
Well, so the brother-in-law, that is, the brother of Xina, presented us with
a bottle of ripasso from a producer previously unknown to us. Yesterday we
partook of parts of an elk, king of the forest in Sweden, with mixed
mushrooms and mashed potatoes, and with this we opened the ripasso.
[C] Very deep, almost black, purple
[N] Strangely, an odour of mature cheese, reggiano parmigiana or similar,
with a floral note. Weird, or what? AFter further areration, more notes of
mineral, and dark fruit. Fiery, as a red prot.
[P] Starts closed, aeration possibly too short, or maybe it would need
further cellar time. Dark fruits, good length, walnuts, fruity sweetness,
cream, chocolate and black coffee.
Overall impression: A much better buy than the Greek we served the poor
brother-in-law, at very reasonable SEK 115. Definitely a wine we will try to
have in our cellar for unexpected elks. It would be even better with Bambi,
since that meat is more gamey - elk is fairly anonymous, doesn´t taste very
much in itself.
I have once read somewhere (possibly in one of the books that dissed
Welschriesling, hey, Herr Pronay?) that ripasso doesn´t evolve in the
cellar. I do not know if that is true [1], no ripasso has survived more than
6 months in _our_ cellar. Perhaps somebody can tell me about that?

Cheers

Nils Gustaf

[1] And I cannot check in the books as they have, on the advice of said Herr
Pronay, been trashed. [2]

[2] This is what passes for a joke in Sweden.

--
Respond to nils dot lindgren at drchips dot se

TN Bussola Valpolicella Classico Superiore Joseph Coulter[_4_] Wine 0 10-08-2008 02:46 AM
2004 Zenato Valpolicella Superiore Joseph Coulter[_3_] Wine 0 21-06-2008 07:42 PM
TN: Call the Cardiologist ('88 Pomerol, '97 Ripasso, etc) DaleW Wine 0 29-04-2007 02:40 AM
ripasso v. ripassa Leo Bueno Wine 4 10-09-2006 09:29 PM
Ripasso [email protected] Wine 12 29-06-2006 04:15 PM