Mayor Quimby

Default How to Remove Cork from Bottle??

I have a new bottle of Wine but have no cork screw. How can I remove the
cork without a cork screw?
Thanks to all who help

Emery Davis

On Wed, 6 Oct 2004 18:58:25 -0400, "Mayor Quimby" > said:

] I have a new bottle of Wine but have no cork screw. How can I remove the
] cork without a cork screw?
] Thanks to all who help
]
]

Whack its top off with a sabre, of course. HTH.

-E
--
Emery Davis
You can reply to
Fred

"Mayor Quimby" > wrote in
:

> I have a new bottle of Wine but have no cork screw. How can I remove the
> cork without a cork screw?

When stuck like this I try to push the cork in. Be careful as some wine
will squirt out when this is attempted. A knife steel is best for this job.
Losing a little wine is better than not drinking it at all.

Fred.
Nicik Name

"Mayor Quimby" > wrote in message
> I have a new bottle of Wine but have no cork screw. How can I remove the
> cork without a cork screw?
> Thanks to all who help
> Put a screw in the cork ,clamp the screw with a set of vise grips,pull

cork out.

422tango

"Mayor Quimby" > wrote in message
> I have a new bottle of Wine but have no cork screw. How can I remove the
> cork without a cork screw?
> Thanks to all who help

If you plan to repeat the experience (of obtaining bottles of wine), perhaps
visiting a grocery, household, or wine/spirits store and puchasing a cork
screw?
Otherwise: screw a large screw into the cork, pull it out with visegrip
pliers, or - drill a hole through the cork with a drill and drill bit (this
tends to drop little pieces of cork into the wine, or - knock the top off
the bottle with a hammer blow (this tends to get messy, maybe little
fragments of glass drop into the wine, and then are swallowed).
The suggestions under otherwise are not really serious. If you never plan to
have another bottle of wine, and thusly do not want to buy a corkscrew,
perhaps you could borrow one from a friend or acquaintance?

Jim

Dick R.

422tango wrote:
> "Mayor Quimby" > wrote in message
>
>>I have a new bottle of Wine but have no cork screw. How can I remove the
>>cork without a cork screw?
>>Thanks to all who help
>>

> If you plan to repeat the experience (of obtaining bottles of wine), perhaps
> visiting a grocery, household, or wine/spirits store and puchasing a cork
> screw?
> Otherwise: screw a large screw into the cork, pull it out with visegrip
> pliers, or - drill a hole through the cork with a drill and drill bit (this
> tends to drop little pieces of cork into the wine, or - knock the top off
> the bottle with a hammer blow (this tends to get messy, maybe little
> fragments of glass drop into the wine, and then are swallowed).
> The suggestions under otherwise are not really serious. If you never plan to
> have another bottle of wine, and thusly do not want to buy a corkscrew,
> perhaps you could borrow one from a friend or acquaintance?
>
> Jim

Or, purchase a Swiss Army knife!
Dick R.

Dick R.

422tango wrote:
> "Mayor Quimby" > wrote in message
>
>>I have a new bottle of Wine but have no cork screw. How can I remove the
>>cork without a cork screw?
>>Thanks to all who help
>>

> If you plan to repeat the experience (of obtaining bottles of wine), perhaps
> visiting a grocery, household, or wine/spirits store and puchasing a cork
> screw?
> Otherwise: screw a large screw into the cork, pull it out with visegrip
> pliers, or - drill a hole through the cork with a drill and drill bit (this
> tends to drop little pieces of cork into the wine, or - knock the top off
> the bottle with a hammer blow (this tends to get messy, maybe little
> fragments of glass drop into the wine, and then are swallowed).
> The suggestions under otherwise are not really serious. If you never plan to
> have another bottle of wine, and thusly do not want to buy a corkscrew,
> perhaps you could borrow one from a friend or acquaintance?
>
> Jim

Or, purchase a Swiss Army knife!
Dick R.

Mayor Quimby

"422tango" > wrote in message

> "Mayor Quimby" > wrote in message
> > I have a new bottle of Wine but have no cork screw. How can I remove

the
> > cork without a cork screw?
> > Thanks to all who help
> >

> If you plan to repeat the experience (of obtaining bottles of wine),

perhaps
> visiting a grocery, household, or wine/spirits store and puchasing a cork
> screw?
> Otherwise: screw a large screw into the cork, pull it out with visegrip
> pliers, or - drill a hole through the cork with a drill and drill bit

(this
> tends to drop little pieces of cork into the wine, or - knock the top off
> the bottle with a hammer blow (this tends to get messy, maybe little
> fragments of glass drop into the wine, and then are swallowed).
> The suggestions under otherwise are not really serious. If you never plan

> have another bottle of wine, and thusly do not want to buy a corkscrew,
> perhaps you could borrow one from a friend or acquaintance?
>
> Jim

Yes borrowing a cork screw from a freind or nieghbor can be quite a nifty
idea indeed. I do it all the time, it saves me money on buying my own cork
screw.

Mayor Quimby

"422tango" > wrote in message

> "Mayor Quimby" > wrote in message
> > I have a new bottle of Wine but have no cork screw. How can I remove

the
> > cork without a cork screw?
> > Thanks to all who help
> >

> If you plan to repeat the experience (of obtaining bottles of wine),

perhaps
> visiting a grocery, household, or wine/spirits store and puchasing a cork
> screw?
> Otherwise: screw a large screw into the cork, pull it out with visegrip
> pliers, or - drill a hole through the cork with a drill and drill bit

(this
> tends to drop little pieces of cork into the wine, or - knock the top off
> the bottle with a hammer blow (this tends to get messy, maybe little
> fragments of glass drop into the wine, and then are swallowed).
> The suggestions under otherwise are not really serious. If you never plan

> have another bottle of wine, and thusly do not want to buy a corkscrew,
> perhaps you could borrow one from a friend or acquaintance?
>
> Jim

Yes borrowing a cork screw from a freind or nieghbor can be quite a nifty
idea indeed. I do it all the time, it saves me money on buying my own cork
screw.

candyman001

"Mayor Quimby" > wrote in message
>I have a new bottle of Wine but have no cork screw. How can I remove the
> cork without a cork screw?
> Thanks to all who help

if you have a Swiss army knife most have a corkscrew on them. If not tell
someone who likes you. You would love to have a Swiss army knife for your
birthday, Christmas Gift, Labor day gift , or any other holiday in your
area. And you can make a corkscrew out of a mop handle by screwing a 3 1/2
or 4 inch drywall screw throw the mop handle. Now you can also put the wine
bottle in boiling water and wait till the pressure pushes the cork out. This
is real messy and will make the wine not worth drinking. Anyway you go you
are going to have to make a trip to a store. So just go to the store buy
your own Swiss army knife and quit being so cheap.

Anders Tørneskog

"gerald" > skrev i melding
> Why bother removing it. Just pound it into the bottle using a hammer
> and a screwdriver. May squirt a bit, but I have done it many times.

Break the bottle over a sieve lined with musseline(sp.?) cloth. Pour from
your bucket into a carafe or a properly cleaned Coke bottle and voilá, you
have a decanted and aerated wine.
;-)
Anders

Tom S

> "Mayor Quimby" > wrote in message
> >I have a new bottle of Wine but have no cork screw. How can I remove the
> > cork without a cork screw?

Although I recommend that you simply go buy a cheap corkscrew, there is
another way.

A friend, vacationing in rural Mexico (which is pretty much the entire
country, but I believe this was Baja California - aka "BC"), was faced with
the same dilemma. A local shopkeeper showed him how it's done.

He folded a towel and held it against a wall. Grasping the de-foiled bottle
in the other hand he proceeded to _pound_ the base of the bottle repeatedly
into the towel covered wall. Slowly, the cork began to emerge from the
bottle until finally there was enough sticking out that he could grasp it
and pull it the rest of the way out. Ta da!

Tom S

Joe Rosenberg

Chop it clean with a guillotine.

Sidney Carton as told to

--
Joe "Beppe" Rosenberg
"Tom S" > wrote in message
m...
> > "Mayor Quimby" > wrote in message
> > >I have a new bottle of Wine but have no cork screw. How can I remove

the
> > > cork without a cork screw?

> Although I recommend that you simply go buy a cheap corkscrew, there is
> another way.
>
> A friend, vacationing in rural Mexico (which is pretty much the entire
> country, but I believe this was Baja California - aka "BC"), was faced

with
> the same dilemma. A local shopkeeper showed him how it's done.
>
> He folded a towel and held it against a wall. Grasping the de-foiled

bottle
> in the other hand he proceeded to _pound_ the base of the bottle

repeatedly
> into the towel covered wall. Slowly, the cork began to emerge from the
> bottle until finally there was enough sticking out that he could grasp it
> and pull it the rest of the way out. Ta da!
>
> Tom S

Uranium Committee

"Mayor Quimby" > wrote in message >...
> I have a new bottle of Wine but have no cork screw. How can I remove the
> cork without a cork screw?
> Thanks to all who help

Through the top of the neck.
Dan the Man

"Mayor Quimby" > wrote in message >...
> I have a new bottle of Wine but have no cork screw. How can I remove the
> cork without a cork screw?
> Thanks to all who help

Here's an absolute, desperate, last-resort method:
Use a diamond glass-cutter to cut out the bottom of the bottle. Of
course, have a large pitcher or mixing bowl underneath.

Dan-O
(Not speaking from experience, but it would be fun to watch!)

Dan the Man

Roy > wrote in message >...
> Dan the Man wrote:
>
> > "Mayor Quimby" > wrote in message >...
> > > I have a new bottle of Wine but have no cork screw. How can I remove the
> > > cork without a cork screw?
> > > Thanks to all who help

> > Here's an absolute, desperate, last-resort method:
> > Use a diamond glass-cutter to cut out the bottom of the bottle. Of
> > course, have a large pitcher or mixing bowl underneath.

> If you had such a glass cutter, why in the world would you cut out the _bottom_ of the bottle instead
> of cutting off the neck of the bottle just below the cork?

Right you are. My tongue was planted firmly in cheek when I wrote my

Dan-O