Dale Williams

Default TN: Roulot and several Oz wines

With grilled steelhead trout, portabellos, eggplant, and asparagus, the 2000
Domaine Guy Roulot Bourgogne Blanc. Clear appley Chardonnay fruit, some light
mineral and hazelnut notes, good acidity, and good finish. A nice Chard. B+

Friday I was invited to a tasting group that a friend had formed with some of
his commuter trainmates. A couple of people had dropped out, they were looking
for new blood. What, me taste wine? I had a nice time, with a nice
international (1 French, 1 Belgian, 1 German, and 2 of us Americans) crew in a
lovely backyard. The theme was Australian, we each brought one blind bottle:
1) This wasn't blind for me, I knew it was my wine. Blackcherry and cassis
fruit, notes of chocolate and cedar. Not quite as concentrated as a recent
bottle, but mature and complex. (1991 Penfolds Bin 389 Cabernet/Shiraz) A-/B+
2) Whoa, what a difference. Huge blackberry fruit, lots of oak, a bit hot on
the finish, almost "porty". Thick and heavy, undeniably impressive. Needs time
(1999 Elderton Command). A- in the style, but a B for me.
3) A bit less concentrated than the Command, but very clear fruit, some vanilla
and oak, but not overwhelming. Overall more balanced than the Elderton - medium
to full-bodied, I quite liked. Tie for WOTN with the 389. (2001 Gatekeeper
Shiraz, McClaren Vale) A-/B+
4) Sweet oak, dark sweet fruit, a bit short on the finish B- (2000 Wolf Blass
Presidents Selection Cabernet Sauvignon).
5) My notes read "sweet, sweet, sweet", and "sweet blackberry". The 2003
Marquis Philips Shiraz. B- for my tastes
Fun night with a nice group. Australian wouldn't be my first choice for a
tasting, but I had fun. And will look out for the Gatekeeper.

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a
good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where
it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy,
and certainly not of consistency. *
Dale

Dale Williams
Drop "damnspam" to reply
Topi Kuusinen

Dale Williams wrote:

> Friday I was invited to a tasting group that a friend had formed with
> some of his commuter trainmates. A couple of people had dropped out,
> they were looking for new blood. What, me taste wine? I had a nice
> time, with a nice international (1 French, 1 Belgian, 1 German, and 2
> of us Americans) crew in a lovely backyard. The theme was Australian,
> we each brought one blind bottle:

> 4) Sweet oak, dark sweet fruit, a bit short on the finish B- (2000
> Wolf Blass Presidents Selection Cabernet Sauvignon).

I've relatively recently tried the Wolf Blass Presidents Selection
Shiraz, 2001, I think. On the basis of that, the oak in your notes does
not surprise me.

I felt the Shiraz was *way* overoaked, the oak masking any varietal
characteristics, even if the back label stated the striving towards the
true impression of the nature of the grape or some such marketing blurb.

Pretty much the definition of oak juice, IMHO.

Cheers,

-Topi Kuusinen, Finland

Topi Kuusinen

TN: 2007 Roulot Bourgogne DaleW Wine 1 29-01-2010 07:08 PM
TN: Roulot bourgogne DaleW Wine 0 28-10-2009 06:57 PM
Roulot, Clapton & Winwood Bi!! Wine 2 16-06-2009 08:12 PM
TN: Wine with Capon (Mugnier, Suduiraut, Roulot) Dale Williams Wine 4 12-01-2005 11:17 PM
TN: Wine with Capon (Mugnier, Suduiraut, Roulot) Dale Williams Wine 0 10-01-2005 10:27 PM