Susanne

Default 1975 Firestone Johannisberg Riesling

I have a First Harvest bottle from Firestone Vineyard/1975
Johannisberg Riesling. I am not sure if it is worth anything. Can
anybody help with this?
Cwdjrx _

I have not had that Firestone Riesling you mention. I did have some of
their Riesling of some year in the distant past. If it is a dry style, I
doubt if it will be very good now. Most of the dry California Rieslings
of that era did not age well over a few years, although there were a few
exceptions such as Stony Hill. A few of the very sweet late harvest
Rieslings of this era still are drinking well. The late harvest
Rieslings of ths era often list their residual sugar content on the
front or back labels. This can reach 30% or more. Most of the 70s late
havest Rieslings that I have tasted in fairly recent years, that have
lasted well, contain well over 10% residual sugar. So, as a wine, your
bottle might not now be worth much. It would be worth most to a
collector of Firestone wines who just happens to need it to complete a
collection, but I have not heard of anyone who collects old Firestone
wines. Of course the wine would have to have been stored under near
ideal conditions over the years to have much of a chance of even being
drinkable.

My mailbox is always full to avoid spam. To contact me, erase
from my email address. Then add . I do not
check this box every day, so post if you need a quick response.

Larry B.

That goes back a ways. It's my memory I am most concerned with.

First Harvest is like Early Harvest. Usually means very light with delicate
fruit and a very short shelf life.

Does that bottle say "Ambassador Vineyard" on it? If so, those wines were
fantastic Rieslings that truly resembled German wines (Auslese or a light
BA).

At a brown bagger of the local German Wine Society in 1984, someone threw a
1978 Firestone Ambassador Vineyard in the mix and it won, hands down! Sadly,
Firestone yanked out the Riesling from the Ambassador Vineyard when Riesling
became the black sheep of winedom in the early 80's.

Going back to Cwdjrx, if it has the horsepower of an Ambassador Vineyard,
you may be in luck depending on storage. Worth? Doubtful.

I have digressed. Sorry.

If it is truly a First Harvest or even their semi-dry style,... sorry. It is
worthless on all levels unless you want to experience the taste of a long
since over-the-hill California Riesling! Remember drinking wine is about
experiences and adding to your pallate's catalog. But in this case, not to
your wallet's catalog. Lar

"Cwdjrx _" > wrote in message
> I have not had that Firestone Riesling you mention. I did have some of
> their Riesling of some year in the distant past. If it is a dry style, I
> doubt if it will be very good now. Most of the dry California Rieslings
> of that era did not age well over a few years, although there were a few
> exceptions such as Stony Hill. A few of the very sweet late harvest
> Rieslings of this era still are drinking well. The late harvest
> Rieslings of ths era often list their residual sugar content on the
> front or back labels. This can reach 30% or more. Most of the 70s late
> havest Rieslings that I have tasted in fairly recent years, that have
> lasted well, contain well over 10% residual sugar. So, as a wine, your
> bottle might not now be worth much. It would be worth most to a
> collector of Firestone wines who just happens to need it to complete a
> collection, but I have not heard of anyone who collects old Firestone
> wines. Of course the wine would have to have been stored under near
> ideal conditions over the years to have much of a chance of even being
> drinkable.
>
> My mailbox is always full to avoid spam. To contact me, erase
> from my email address. Then add . I do not
> check this box every day, so post if you need a quick response.

Larry B.

"Cwdjrx _" > wrote in message
> I have not had that Firestone Riesling you mention. I did have some of
> their Riesling of some year in the distant past. If it is a dry style, I
> doubt if it will be very good now. Most of the dry California Rieslings
> of that era did not age well over a few years, although there were a few
> exceptions such as Stony Hill. A few of the very sweet late harvest
> Rieslings of this era still are drinking well. The late harvest
> Rieslings of ths era often list their residual sugar content on the
> front or back labels. This can reach 30% or more. Most of the 70s late
> havest Rieslings that I have tasted in fairly recent years, that have
> lasted well, contain well over 10% residual sugar. So, as a wine, your
> bottle might not now be worth much. It would be worth most to a
> collector of Firestone wines who just happens to need it to complete a
> collection, but I have not heard of anyone who collects old Firestone
> wines. Of course the wine would have to have been stored under near
> ideal conditions over the years to have much of a chance of even being
> drinkable.
>
> My mailbox is always full to avoid spam. To contact me, erase
> from my email address. Then add . I do not
> check this box every day, so post if you need a quick response.

Ken Sternberg

Perhaps you can use the bottle as a paperweight.
Ken Sternberg

Perhaps you can use the bottle as a paperweight.
Joe Rosenberg

I remember Firestone JRs were relatively high in acidity in their youth and
I wouldn't be surprised if there were some life in 1975 if it never was
exposed to prolonged periods of high temperatures.

--
Joe "Beppe" Rosenberg
"Ken Sternberg" > wrote in message
om...
> Perhaps you can use the bottle as a paperweight.

Joe Rosenberg

I remember Firestone JRs were relatively high in acidity in their youth and
I wouldn't be surprised if there were some life in 1975 if it never was
exposed to prolonged periods of high temperatures.

--
Joe "Beppe" Rosenberg
"Ken Sternberg" > wrote in message
om...
> Perhaps you can use the bottle as a paperweight.

Richard Neidich

I no longer have firestone. When I traded in my explorer I get rid of them.
Kept going flat.

"Joe Rosenberg" > wrote in message
>I remember Firestone JRs were relatively high in acidity in their youth and
> I wouldn't be surprised if there were some life in 1975 if it never was
> exposed to prolonged periods of high temperatures.
>
> --
> Joe "Beppe" Rosenberg
> "Ken Sternberg" > wrote in message
> om...
>> Perhaps you can use the bottle as a paperweight.

Richard Neidich