Chris Lake

Default Sauerkraut recipe & wine pairing

hello everyone, would anyone here have a good recipe for sauerkraut?

maybe a bunch of food combinations with sauerkraut... and of course possible
wine pairings

even a little history on this, would be nice

i heard from someone that some people use champagne in their recipe, is this
possible?

...chris

Ian Hoare

Salut/Hi Chris Lake,

le/on Sat, 18 Sep 2004 10:11:10 -0700, tu disais/you said:-

>hello everyone, would anyone here have a good recipe for sauerkraut?

You've pressed a bnutton here! I love middle European - especially Hungarian
- sauerkraut recipes.

Here are a couple. Both are wonderful, both are extremely rich - don't plan
a five course meal round them, and both are quite hard to pair, though I'd
look to a big powerful Riesling, or Pinot Gris, maybe Gruener Veltliner.

Once you've tried hungarian sauerkraut dishes, you'll never look back!

@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

Koloszvári Rakott Káposzta (Transylvanian Layered Cabbage)

hungarian, main dish, pork, vegetables

1 1/2 kg sauerkraut
600 gm pork leg meat *
250 gm rice, long grain (raw)
320 ml water
200 gm pork back fat (smoked best)
150 gm smoked streaky bacon **
250 gm gyulai sausage ***
150 gm onion; chopped
500 gm mushrooms =-and=- )
50 gm onion; chopped ) =-or=-
6 eggs; hard boiled
1 salt or vegeta ****
1 pepper
1 teaspoon caraway seed
1 marjoram
1 oil
500 gm cršme fraœche
1 tablespoon noble sweet paprika

* The pork should either be minced (ground) coarsely or better, cut
into small (1 cm) cubes.
** The bacon should ideally not be a sweet cure, but fairly heavily
smoked, and cut quite thick.
*** Gyulai sausages are dry, smoked and made with a fair amount of
paprika. best equivalent might be small sweet chorizo sausages.
**** Vegeta is a vegetable stock flavouring powder.
If you can't get french style cr*me fraŒche, use a mixture of 3
parts heavy cream and 1 part yoghurt.

This dish is cooked in four parts and then assembled.

Part 1. The cabbage. Depending upon how sour the cabbage is, wash it
more or less well. Very sour cabbage that has been pickling all
winter will need several washes in fresh water, freshly pickled
sauerkraut won't need anything more than draining. Cut the pork fat
into small cubes and render them over gentle heat. When beginning to
take colour, add the caraway seed and the drained cabbage. Simmer
15-20 minutes or until softened. Leave aside.

Part 2 Rice. Wash rice well and drain. Fry in a little oil until
transparent. Add the measured amount of water (equal volume to that
of the rice), a little salt, and cook until water is absorbed and
rice is parcooked. Leave aside.
Part 3 Meat. Sweat chopped onions (first quantity) in oil. When
transparent, add paprika, followed immediately by a little water. Over
highish heat, add the meat, pepper and salt or vegema. Stir, and cook
fairly quickly partially covered, as for a prklt, (reducing the meat
juices and then adding a little water as needed) until meat is just
tender. Leave aside.

Part 4 Mushrooms. (or hard boiled egg). If using mushrooms, clean and
trim if needed, then slice them fairly thinly. Chop the second
quantity of onion. Sweat onion and mushrooms lightly peppered in a
little oil, until their juices have evaporated. Leave aside. If using
eggs, hard boil them, shell and cool and slice. Set aside.

Assembly and Finishing. Grease a large deep ovenproof dish. Layer the
four components in 3 or 4 layers of each component, pouring sour
cream over each layer, and starting and finishing with cabbage. Slice
bacon and sausage fairly thinly, arrange over the last layer of
cabbage. Bake in a moderate oven 350øF Mk 4 for 45 mins to an hour,
covering with foil if the top starts to brown too much. Serve, with
no accompaniments (except wine or beer if wished). The dish is even
better when reheated the next day.

Recipe traditional, written IMH c/o Gohlam BBS Fido 2:320/116.14

Yield: 8 servings

@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

Szekler Goulash

casseroles, hungarian, main dish, pork, vegetables

1 kg pork (loin and shoulder)
350 gm onions
10 gm caraway seed
90 gm lard
1 water or stock
1 kg sauerkraut, well washed
1 garlic clove
200 ml cream
1 salt
1 paprika
1 dill

Take the most juicy cuts of pork and cut it into 50 g pieces. Put the
meat on to stew with chopped onions, crushed caraway seed, crushed
garlic clove, which you have previously sweated with the lard. Add a
little finely minced dill. Add a little water or stock and let it
stew with the lid on till half done. Then add sauerkraut, mix with
the meat, season with sweet paprika according to taste, and let it
simmer till the cabbage is ready. Then pour in sour cream and bring
to the boil again. Before serving, a tablespoonful or two of heated
sour cream may be poured over it. This dish, like many other cabbage
dishes, may be warmed up, and therefore lends itself very well to
preserving by pasteurization.

Recipe Karoly Gundel "Hungarian Cookery Book"

MMed IMH c/o Gohlam BBS 2:320/116.14

Yield: 6 servings

All the Best
Ian Hoare
http://www.souvigne.com
Tom S

"Chris Lake" > wrote in message
news
> hello everyone, would anyone here have a good recipe for sauerkraut?
>
> maybe a bunch of food combinations with sauerkraut... and of course

possible
> wine pairings
>
> even a little history on this, would be nice
>
> i heard from someone that some people use champagne in their recipe, is

this
> possible?

Possible? Sure. Optimum? Not IMO.
I prefer good Chardonnay.

First off, you want to get some good kraut. Fresh is better than canned.
Put it in a collander and rinse thoroughly to remove the excess salt, then
squeeze the water out by hand.

Sautee some sliced onions (and garlic if you wish) in your choice of oils:
olive is more healthy, but bacon or goose fat tastes better. Transfer the
contents to a casserole. Add the kraut. Throw in some smoked spareribs,
Polish sausage (fresh Polish is best, but Kielbasa is good too), re-hydrated
porcini mushrooms or cepes, a few bay leaves, some juniper berries, freshly
ground pepper, carraway seed (careful not to overdo that!) and enough
Chardonnay (I usually use at _least_ one bottle) to wet the whole thing
pretty thoroughly. Oh, yeah. I almost forgot to mention my Mother's Secret
Ingredient: a package of Lipton's Onion Soup mix. (Please don't tell my
sister that I told you about that. She'd be ****ed!)

Anyway, that's about it. Cook the whole lot (covered) until the house is
well suffused with the aroma (several hours in the oven at 350F) and serve
with bread dumplings and more Chardonnay (or a red wine of your choice).
When my parents were alive, this was our traditional Christmas Eve dinner -
except for the juniper berries. I added those later because I like them in
kraut.

BTW, I used to make this recipe with beer instead of Chardonnay, but it just
wasn't as good.

Tom S (who is of Central European ancestry)

Tom S

"Chris Lake" > wrote in message
news
> hello everyone, would anyone here have a good recipe for sauerkraut?
>
> maybe a bunch of food combinations with sauerkraut... and of course

possible
> wine pairings
>
> even a little history on this, would be nice
>
> i heard from someone that some people use champagne in their recipe, is

this
> possible?

Possible? Sure. Optimum? Not IMO.
I prefer good Chardonnay.

First off, you want to get some good kraut. Fresh is better than canned.
Put it in a collander and rinse thoroughly to remove the excess salt, then
squeeze the water out by hand.

Sautee some sliced onions (and garlic if you wish) in your choice of oils:
olive is more healthy, but bacon or goose fat tastes better. Transfer the
contents to a casserole. Add the kraut. Throw in some smoked spareribs,
Polish sausage (fresh Polish is best, but Kielbasa is good too), re-hydrated
porcini mushrooms or cepes, a few bay leaves, some juniper berries, freshly
ground pepper, carraway seed (careful not to overdo that!) and enough
Chardonnay (I usually use at _least_ one bottle) to wet the whole thing
pretty thoroughly. Oh, yeah. I almost forgot to mention my Mother's Secret
Ingredient: a package of Lipton's Onion Soup mix. (Please don't tell my
sister that I told you about that. She'd be ****ed!)

Anyway, that's about it. Cook the whole lot (covered) until the house is
well suffused with the aroma (several hours in the oven at 350F) and serve
with bread dumplings and more Chardonnay (or a red wine of your choice).
When my parents were alive, this was our traditional Christmas Eve dinner -
except for the juniper berries. I added those later because I like them in
kraut.

BTW, I used to make this recipe with beer instead of Chardonnay, but it just
wasn't as good.

Tom S (who is of Central European ancestry)

Michael Pronay

Ian Hoare > wrote:

> (Transylvanian Layered Cabbage)

Is that what in German would be "Geflltes Kraut"?

M.

Ian Hoare

Salut/Hi Michael Pronay,

le/on 19 Sep 2004 07:13:24 GMT, tu disais/you said:-

>Ian Hoare > wrote:
>
>> (Transylvanian Layered Cabbage)

>Is that what in German would be "Geflltes Kraut"?

Nope. That would be Stuffed Cabbage or Tlttt kposzta.

(I've got the George Lang recipes for that family of recipes too, but I've
never scanned them into the computer).

The hungarian for the recipe I put up is "Erdlyi Rkott Kposzta"

--
All the Best
Ian Hoare
Chris Lake

"Ian Hoare" > wrote in message
> Salut/Hi Chris Lake,

> 1 1/2 kg sauerkraut

the recipe sounds great, but its the pickling that i was actually looking
for..
or do you just buy your sauerkraut at the store?

and what about wine?

thanks Ian
...chris

Chris Lake

"Ian Hoare" > wrote in message
> Salut/Hi Chris Lake,

> 1 1/2 kg sauerkraut

the recipe sounds great, but its the pickling that i was actually looking
for..
or do you just buy your sauerkraut at the store?

and what about wine?

thanks Ian
...chris

Chris Lake

"Tom S" > wrote in message
om...
> Possible? Sure. Optimum? Not IMO.
> I prefer good Chardonnay.

thanks for your recipe Tom,
for some reason though, i don't think chardonnay is the way to go, i was
thinking something along the lines of an alsacian pinot blanc, but thanks
for the input

...chris

Ed Rasimus

On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 23:10:44 +0200, Ian Hoare >
wrote:

>You've pressed a bnutton here! I love middle European - especially Hungarian
>- sauerkraut recipes.
>
>Here are a couple. Both are wonderful, both are extremely rich - don't plan
>a five course meal round them, and both are quite hard to pair, though I'd
>look to a big powerful Riesling, or Pinot Gris, maybe Gruener Veltliner.
>
>Once you've tried hungarian sauerkraut dishes, you'll never look back!
>
>@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format
>
>Koloszvri Rakott Kposzta (Transylvanian Layered Cabbage)

Mein Gott in Himmel! You've triggered a deep genetic yearning for food
of my ancestors. What a great sounding recipe! It raises the bar
considerably for the simple views of sauerkraut that I'm familiar with
that use apples, caraway, occasional bacon or pork additives.

My first thought on wine, as yours, was big Riesling (I don't have
enough experience with GV to consider the option yet.) But, what might
happen with some sort of red? Cru Beaujolais, chilled, maybe?

Ed Rasimus
Fighter Pilot (USAF-Ret)
"When Thunder Rolled"
"Phantom Flights, Bangkok Nights"
Both from Smithsonian Books
***www.thunderchief.org

Ed Rasimus

wrote:

>You've pressed a bnutton here! I love middle European - especially Hungarian
>- sauerkraut recipes.
>
>Here are a couple. Both are wonderful, both are extremely rich - don't plan
>a five course meal round them, and both are quite hard to pair, though I'd
>look to a big powerful Riesling, or Pinot Gris, maybe Gruener Veltliner.
>
>Once you've tried hungarian sauerkraut dishes, you'll never look back!
>
>@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format
>
>Koloszvri Rakott Kposzta (Transylvanian Layered Cabbage)

Mein Gott in Himmel! You've triggered a deep genetic yearning for food
of my ancestors. What a great sounding recipe! It raises the bar
considerably for the simple views of sauerkraut that I'm familiar with
that use apples, caraway, occasional bacon or pork additives.

My first thought on wine, as yours, was big Riesling (I don't have
enough experience with GV to consider the option yet.) But, what might
happen with some sort of red? Cru Beaujolais, chilled, maybe?

Ed Rasimus
Fighter Pilot (USAF-Ret)
"When Thunder Rolled"
"Phantom Flights, Bangkok Nights"
Both from Smithsonian Books
***www.thunderchief.org
Ed Rasimus

wrote:

>You've pressed a bnutton here! I love middle European - especially Hungarian
>- sauerkraut recipes.
>
>Here are a couple. Both are wonderful, both are extremely rich - don't plan
>a five course meal round them, and both are quite hard to pair, though I'd
>look to a big powerful Riesling, or Pinot Gris, maybe Gruener Veltliner.
>
>Once you've tried hungarian sauerkraut dishes, you'll never look back!
>
>@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format
>
>Koloszvri Rakott Kposzta (Transylvanian Layered Cabbage)

Mein Gott in Himmel! You've triggered a deep genetic yearning for food
of my ancestors. What a great sounding recipe! It raises the bar
considerably for the simple views of sauerkraut that I'm familiar with
that use apples, caraway, occasional bacon or pork additives.

My first thought on wine, as yours, was big Riesling (I don't have
enough experience with GV to consider the option yet.) But, what might
happen with some sort of red? Cru Beaujolais, chilled, maybe?

Ed Rasimus
Fighter Pilot (USAF-Ret)
"When Thunder Rolled"
"Phantom Flights, Bangkok Nights"
Both from Smithsonian Books
***www.thunderchief.org
Chuck Reid

Here-to-fore, my supper endeavours a la choucroute have been confined to a
saut of various sausages accompanied by sauts of apple and/or onion
wedges, sprinkles of Caraway and sometimes an addition of hot or sweet
Paprika. Time to graduate to the big leagues eh Ian. Thanks for the nudge
and thanks to the chap(esse) who initiated the topic!
--
Regards
Chuck

To reply, delete NOSPAM from return address

Michael Pronay

Ian Hoare > wrote:

>>> (Transylvanian Layered Cabbage)

>>Is that what in German would be "Geflltes Kraut"?

> Nope. That would be Stuffed Cabbage or Tlttt kposzta.
>
> (I've got the George Lang recipes for that family of recipes
> too, but I've never scanned them into the computer).
>
> The hungarian for the recipe I put up is "Erdlyi Rkott
> Kposzta"

Sorry Ian, but my Hungarian is inexistent. But after having read
the recipe, I klnew I was wrong. What you are preparing would be
called "gelegtes Kraut", iirc.

I remember having eaten this dish some 10 to 20 years ago a few
times here in Vienna in two restaurants, one called "Bukarest",
the other "Ilona", which says it all. Both are closed for years
now.

Anyhow, I admire the dish and remember having devoured it. There
is only one slight remark: It has little to do with "Sauerkraut",
a product I cannot stand, while I adore Krautrouladen = Geflltes
Kraut and Gelegtes Kraut.

M.
Anders Trneskog

"Ian Hoare" > skrev i melding
Hi Ian
A small question - What's the difference, if any, between Sauerkraut and
choucroute?
Anders

Ian Hoare

Salut/Hi Michael Pronay,

le/on 19 Sep 2004 17:53:11 GMT, tu disais/you said:-

>Sorry Ian, but my Hungarian is inexistent.

I know - or rather I know you say it is ;-)))

> But after having read the recipe, I knew I was wrong. What you are preparing would be
>called "gelegtes Kraut", iirc.

Yes, "laid cabbage" would do.

>I remember having eaten this dish some 10 to 20 years ago a few
>times here in Vienna in two restaurants, one called "Bukarest",
>the other "Ilona", which says it all.

Well, it's not exactly in the modern style of dishes, is it!

>Anyhow, I admire the dish and remember having devoured it.

I find it fabulous - actually, I find BOTH that and the Szekely Gulys
fabulous. But I like dishes with loads of fat and plenty of cream - it's my
magyar blood. The fact that my uncle and mother both died of heart attacks,
and that my younger brother also had one, has NOT made the slightest
difference to my liking. the only thing is that I only eat dishes like that
about every 2-3 months.

> There is only one slight remark: It has little to do with "Sauerkraut",

Explain please! The "sour cabbage" used to make both these dishes is the
same as is used to make german and Austrian Sauerkraut dishes. While it's
true that some Hungarian cabbage dishes CAN be made with "sweet cabbage" ie
cabbage that hasn't undergone pickling in brine, that isn't normal with
these two.

>a product I cannot stand, while I adore Krautrouladen = Geflltes
>Kraut and Gelegtes Kraut.

It may _just_ be to do with preparation methods, and the age of the
Sauerkraut (raw product). I can easily expand on this, if you ask me.
M.

--
All the Best
Ian Hoare
Ian Hoare

Salut/Hi Michael Pronay,

le/on 19 Sep 2004 17:53:11 GMT, tu disais/you said:-

>Sorry Ian, but my Hungarian is inexistent.

I know - or rather I know you say it is ;-)))

> But after having read the recipe, I knew I was wrong. What you are preparing would be
>called "gelegtes Kraut", iirc.

Yes, "laid cabbage" would do.

>I remember having eaten this dish some 10 to 20 years ago a few
>times here in Vienna in two restaurants, one called "Bukarest",
>the other "Ilona", which says it all.

Well, it's not exactly in the modern style of dishes, is it!

>Anyhow, I admire the dish and remember having devoured it.

I find it fabulous - actually, I find BOTH that and the Szekely Gulys
fabulous. But I like dishes with loads of fat and plenty of cream - it's my
magyar blood. The fact that my uncle and mother both died of heart attacks,
and that my younger brother also had one, has NOT made the slightest
difference to my liking. the only thing is that I only eat dishes like that
about every 2-3 months.

> There is only one slight remark: It has little to do with "Sauerkraut",

Explain please! The "sour cabbage" used to make both these dishes is the
same as is used to make german and Austrian Sauerkraut dishes. While it's
true that some Hungarian cabbage dishes CAN be made with "sweet cabbage" ie
cabbage that hasn't undergone pickling in brine, that isn't normal with
these two.

>a product I cannot stand, while I adore Krautrouladen = Geflltes
>Kraut and Gelegtes Kraut.

It may _just_ be to do with preparation methods, and the age of the
Sauerkraut (raw product). I can easily expand on this, if you ask me.
M.

--
All the Best
Ian Hoare
http://www.souvigne.com

Ian Hoare

Salut/Hi Michael Pronay,

le/on 19 Sep 2004 17:53:11 GMT, tu disais/you said:-

>Sorry Ian, but my Hungarian is inexistent.

I know - or rather I know you say it is ;-)))

> But after having read the recipe, I knew I was wrong. What you are preparing would be
>called "gelegtes Kraut", iirc.

Yes, "laid cabbage" would do.

>I remember having eaten this dish some 10 to 20 years ago a few
>times here in Vienna in two restaurants, one called "Bukarest",
>the other "Ilona", which says it all.

Well, it's not exactly in the modern style of dishes, is it!

>Anyhow, I admire the dish and remember having devoured it.

I find it fabulous - actually, I find BOTH that and the Szekely Gulys
fabulous. But I like dishes with loads of fat and plenty of cream - it's my
magyar blood. The fact that my uncle and mother both died of heart attacks,
and that my younger brother also had one, has NOT made the slightest
difference to my liking. the only thing is that I only eat dishes like that
about every 2-3 months.

> There is only one slight remark: It has little to do with "Sauerkraut",

Explain please! The "sour cabbage" used to make both these dishes is the
same as is used to make german and Austrian Sauerkraut dishes. While it's
true that some Hungarian cabbage dishes CAN be made with "sweet cabbage" ie
cabbage that hasn't undergone pickling in brine, that isn't normal with
these two.

>a product I cannot stand, while I adore Krautrouladen = Geflltes
>Kraut and Gelegtes Kraut.

It may _just_ be to do with preparation methods, and the age of the
Sauerkraut (raw product). I can easily expand on this, if you ask me.
M.

--
All the Best
Ian Hoare
http://www.souvigne.com
Ian Hoare

Salut/Hi Anders

le/on Sun, 19 Sep 2004 21:02:47 GMT, tu disais/you said:-

>"Ian Hoare" > skrev i melding
.. .

>A small question - What's the difference, if any, between Sauerkraut and
>choucroute?

In principle - none. Sauerkraut is the Germanic name for a salt pickled
cabbage. Choucroute is probably the Alsatian version of the same word, and
this has been adopted into the French language. In practice, Sauerkraut is
often reserved for german(ic) preparations made from this pickled cabbage,
while Choucroute is reserved for French/Alsatian dishes, which can be quite
different.

--
All the Best
Ian Hoare
Ian Hoare

Salut/Hi Anders

le/on Sun, 19 Sep 2004 21:02:47 GMT, tu disais/you said:-

>"Ian Hoare" > skrev i melding
.. .

>A small question - What's the difference, if any, between Sauerkraut and
>choucroute?

In principle - none. Sauerkraut is the Germanic name for a salt pickled
cabbage. Choucroute is probably the Alsatian version of the same word, and
this has been adopted into the French language. In practice, Sauerkraut is
often reserved for german(ic) preparations made from this pickled cabbage,
while Choucroute is reserved for French/Alsatian dishes, which can be quite
different.

--
All the Best
Ian Hoare
http://www.souvigne.com
Ian Hoare

Salut/Hi Chris Lake,

le/on Sun, 19 Sep 2004 08:16:21 -0700, tu disais/you said:-

>"Ian Hoare" > wrote in message

>> 1 1/2 kg sauerkraut

>the recipe sounds great, but its the pickling that i was actually looking
>for..
>or do you just buy your sauerkraut at the store?

I always buy raw sauerkraut (under the name of Choucroute cos I live in
France) in the store. I did once try to pickle my own, it stank like the
devil and then went bad, so I had to throw out the lot. Not a successful
experiment (:-{

>and what about wine?

Like wot I said in my earlier reply.

||Here are a couple. Both are wonderful, both are extremely rich - don't plan
||a five course meal round them, and both are quite hard to pair, though I'd
||look to a big powerful Riesling, or Pinot Gris, maybe Gruener Veltliner.
--
All the Best
Ian Hoare
http://www.souvigne.com
Chuck Reid

No Difference; one is just French for to'ther.
--

"Anders Trneskog" > wrote in message

> "Ian Hoare" > skrev i melding
> Hi Ian
> A small question - What's the difference, if any, between Sauerkraut and
> choucroute?
> Anders

Chuck Reid

No Difference; one is just French for to'ther.
--
Regards
Chuck
So much wine; So little time!

To reply, delete NOSPAM from return address

"Anders Trneskog" > wrote in message

> "Ian Hoare" > skrev i melding
> Hi Ian
> A small question - What's the difference, if any, between Sauerkraut and
> choucroute?
> Anders

Uranium Committee

"Chris Lake" > wrote in message >...
> hello everyone, would anyone here have a good recipe for sauerkraut?
>
> maybe a bunch of food combinations with sauerkraut... and of course possible
> wine pairings
>
> even a little history on this, would be nice
>
> i heard from someone that some people use champagne in their recipe, is this
> possible?
>
> ..chris

I don't think wine is the best beverage for sauerkraut. A stout Czech
or German Bier, perhaps, but not wine.
Uranium Committee

"Chris Lake" > wrote in message >...
> hello everyone, would anyone here have a good recipe for sauerkraut?
>
> maybe a bunch of food combinations with sauerkraut... and of course possible
> wine pairings
>
> even a little history on this, would be nice
>
> i heard from someone that some people use champagne in their recipe, is this
> possible?
>
> ..chris

I don't think wine is the best beverage for sauerkraut. A stout Czech
or German Bier, perhaps, but not wine.
Michael Pronay

Ian Hoare > wrote:

>> There is only one slight remark: It has little to do with
>> "Sauerkraut",

> Explain please! The "sour cabbage" used to make both these
> dishes is the same as is used to make german and Austrian
> Sauerkraut dishes.

Is it? Then I am sorry. But what normally is served here as a
classic sidedish to roast pork (Schweinsbraten) puts me off. Don't
know why it works in Hungarian circumstances ;-)

M.
Michael Pronay

Ian Hoare > wrote:

>> There is only one slight remark: It has little to do with
>> "Sauerkraut",

> Explain please! The "sour cabbage" used to make both these
> dishes is the same as is used to make german and Austrian
> Sauerkraut dishes.

Is it? Then I am sorry. But what normally is served here as a
classic sidedish to roast pork (Schweinsbraten) puts me off. Don't
know why it works in Hungarian circumstances ;-)

M.

Anders Trneskog

"Ian Hoare" > skrev i melding
> In principle - none. Sauerkraut is the Germanic name for a salt pickled
> cabbage. Choucroute is probably the Alsatian version of the same word, and
> this has been adopted into the French language. In practice, Sauerkraut is
> often reserved for german(ic) preparations made from this pickled cabbage,
> while Choucroute is reserved for French/Alsatian dishes, which can be

quite
> different.

Ah, thanks Ian,
if I understand you right, then the term "Sauerkraut" / "choucroute" applies
to the processed cabbage as well as to the dishes made with it? Btw,
Norwegians tend to use quite a lot of "surkl" (sour cabbage) with
country/traditional food (as a side dish only), especially around Christmas
time. (In Sweden, red cabbage is the basis for "rdkl", with a lesser
acidity I feel).
Anders

Anders Trneskog

"Ian Hoare" > skrev i melding
> In principle - none. Sauerkraut is the Germanic name for a salt pickled
> cabbage. Choucroute is probably the Alsatian version of the same word, and
> this has been adopted into the French language. In practice, Sauerkraut is
> often reserved for german(ic) preparations made from this pickled cabbage,
> while Choucroute is reserved for French/Alsatian dishes, which can be

quite
> different.

Ah, thanks Ian,
if I understand you right, then the term "Sauerkraut" / "choucroute" applies
to the processed cabbage as well as to the dishes made with it? Btw,
Norwegians tend to use quite a lot of "surkl" (sour cabbage) with
country/traditional food (as a side dish only), especially around Christmas
time. (In Sweden, red cabbage is the basis for "rdkl", with a lesser
acidity I feel).
Anders

Michael Pronay

"Anders Trneskog" > wrote:

> (In Sweden, red cabbage is the basis for "rdkl", with a lesser
> acidity I feel).

Much better than Sauerkraut, imnsho. It exists here also,
"Rotkraut", and is the classic side dish to duch and goose (with
Serviettenkndel, dumpling), especially in November/December.

M.
Ian Hoare

Salut/Hi Michael Pronay,

le/on 20 Sep 2004 05:02:00 GMT, tu disais/you said:-

>Ian Hoare > wrote:

>> Explain please! The "sour cabbage" used to make both these
>> dishes is the same as is used to make german and Austrian
>> Sauerkraut dishes.

>Is it? Then I am sorry. But what normally is served here as a
>classic sidedish to roast pork (Schweinsbraten) puts me off. Don't
>know why it works in Hungarian circumstances ;-)

Well.... this is not really on topic, but as the correct treatment of
Sauerkraut can turn it from a harsh sour subtance which kills all wines
stone dead, to an unctuous tasty delight which - without being exactly wine
friendly - will allow you to drink a decent white with pleasure, I will
stretch a point and explain.

First, when cabbage (usually white, but you can also use the same
fermentation process with red cabbage and even with turnips) is fermented,
the process takes some few weeks. This used always to be done at about this
time of the year, to give a store vegetable for winter use. At the end of
this time (distinctly smelly), the sauerkraut is quite mild. It can be
cooked as it is, and even without rinsing, and end up delicious. As the
sauerkraut is kept, it becomes more and more sour and stronger and stronger
in taste. By late April, when cellars are warming up and very early
vegetables begin to be picked again, the saurkraut is so strong that you
have to rinse it several times and then blanch it in boiling water before
using it, if you don't want your taste buds to be done violence to.

I have often noticed that in Germany and in Austria, sauerkraut as served,
is far sharper than either in Alsace or in Hungary. I suspect that this is
due to two factors, using it when it is more fermented and not rinsing it
very thoroughly. There are two possible further factors. How long it's
cooked and what with.

Cooked plainly, especially with some rather sharp white wine, will give a
pretty aggressive vegetable. It has to be said that the acidity DOES cut
through the fattiness of roast pork or the palmipeds such as duck or goose,
but you have to be able to accept it. I rather share your dislike of very
sharp sauerkraut.

However, sauerkraut has a remarkable affinity with fat and cream. Alsatians
have discovered the former, and when they cook choucroute garni, incorporate
several fatty cuts of pork, and then cook the cabbage a long time with them.
The fat calms and lubricates the cabbage dramatically. The two hungarian
dishes whose recipes I sent up, not only use fat to tame the cabbage, but
then use generous quantities of cream as well! This utterly transforms the
vegetable, and allows it to reveal itself as one of the great inventions of
Central Europe.

However, in both Choucroute Garni and the Hungarian dishes, although they
don't specify it, it is assumed that you know how to treat sauerkraut. If
it's fresh young new season sauerkraut, then all you have to do is to
squeeze it as dry as you can, before cooking it. If it's a few weeks old
(taste) drop it into a large container of cold water, swirl it briefly
around separating the shreds, then take it out and squeeze dry. For older
sauerkraut (around Christmas and January) two good washes and squeezings are
needed. After that you may have to blanche it as well. To do so:- after two
good washings, drop it into a large excess of boiling water, bring back to
the boil and cook fast 2-3 mins, then strain, and refresh with cold water,
before squeezing dry and cooking.

My guess is that the sauerkraut that you've had has been cooked to give a
sharp cabbage, which is rather the taste in Southern Germany (I don't
remember how we used to have it in Austria), which is why you've not liked
it.

Hope that helps!

--
All the Best
Ian Hoare
Michael Pronay

Ian Hoare > wrote:

> My guess is that the sauerkraut that you've had has been cooked
> to give a sharp cabbage, which is rather the taste in Southern
> Germany (I don't remember how we used to have it in Austria),
> which is why you've not liked it.
>
> Hope that helps!

It does indeed - and it exemplifies my dislike quite good.

M.

Michael Pronay

Ian Hoare > wrote:

> My guess is that the sauerkraut that you've had has been cooked
> to give a sharp cabbage, which is rather the taste in Southern
> Germany (I don't remember how we used to have it in Austria),
> which is why you've not liked it.
>
> Hope that helps!

It does indeed - and it exemplifies my dislike quite good.

M.
Michael Pronay

Ian Hoare > wrote:

> My guess is that the sauerkraut that you've had has been cooked
> to give a sharp cabbage, which is rather the taste in Southern
> Germany (I don't remember how we used to have it in Austria),
> which is why you've not liked it.
>
> Hope that helps!

It does indeed - and it exemplifies my dislike quite good.

M.
winemonger

"Tom S" > wrote in message news:
> First off, you want to get some good kraut. Fresh is better than canned.
> Put it in a collander and .....

Here's what happened-
I am taking care of two bedridden Europeans right now: my husband, who
is from Austria, and my dearest friend who is from Bulgaria. One has
a back problem and the other has a pregnancy problem (you guess who is
who)
So the whole sauerkraut dish thang sounded very comforting for dinner
tonight.

I followed your recipe, using duck fat, half sauerkraut in a jar
(Bubbies brand) and a head of fresh cabbage, then everything else as
prescribed. The meat: smoked pork ribs from a specialty shop up in
Northern California and german-style sausages from the same joint. The
wine for the recipe was a bottle of Oyster Bay Sauvignon Blanc 2003
which we had rejected a few days ago because it was just too
"strawberry." I know, I know. Julia Child always said to never cook
with a wine you wouldn't drink, but there you have it. I served some
pierogies alongside.

I poured two wines with the hearty meal to compa
2000 Dehlinger Chardonnay
1999 Panther Creek Shea Vineyard Pinot Noir

I thought of the Panther Creek as I remembered it not being too much
of a jammy Pinot, which I figured might bring out the juniper berry
flavors in the kraut. The Chard was the heartiest I could grab and
that is what was originally suggested.

I liked the Chardonnay with the meal. For me, the Pinot Noir pairing
made the sauerkraut taste bitter. This surprised me, as i was quite
sure I would prefer the red. The oaky, buttery notes in the Dehlinger
highlighted what is best and most decadent about duck fat and sausage.

My Bulgarian friend opined hands down for the Pinot. This, she said,
is most like what would be served at home in Sofia. When she was a
child her grandmother would give her a small glass of red wine,
watered down and sugared, to go with just such a meal. It should be
noted that she, along with others, very much liked the dishes I
cooked. You'll see why I mention it in just a minute.

My Viennese darling took one taste of the sauerkraut and said "Ooo!
That's a new taste sensation." Meaning- this is not my mother's
sauerkraut and sausage. And that's a bad bad bad thing.
It was impossible after that to get any reasonable verdict on favored
wine pairings.
But being as he is bedridden, it was easy enough to take my bottles
and leave him to think things over.

e.winemonger
------------
www.winemonger.com
winemonger

"Tom S" > wrote in message news:
> First off, you want to get some good kraut. Fresh is better than canned.
> Put it in a collander and .....

Here's what happened-
I am taking care of two bedridden Europeans right now: my husband, who
is from Austria, and my dearest friend who is from Bulgaria. One has
a back problem and the other has a pregnancy problem (you guess who is
who)
So the whole sauerkraut dish thang sounded very comforting for dinner
tonight.

I followed your recipe, using duck fat, half sauerkraut in a jar
(Bubbies brand) and a head of fresh cabbage, then everything else as
prescribed. The meat: smoked pork ribs from a specialty shop up in
Northern California and german-style sausages from the same joint. The
wine for the recipe was a bottle of Oyster Bay Sauvignon Blanc 2003
which we had rejected a few days ago because it was just too
"strawberry." I know, I know. Julia Child always said to never cook
with a wine you wouldn't drink, but there you have it. I served some
pierogies alongside.

I poured two wines with the hearty meal to compa
2000 Dehlinger Chardonnay
1999 Panther Creek Shea Vineyard Pinot Noir

I thought of the Panther Creek as I remembered it not being too much
of a jammy Pinot, which I figured might bring out the juniper berry
flavors in the kraut. The Chard was the heartiest I could grab and
that is what was originally suggested.

I liked the Chardonnay with the meal. For me, the Pinot Noir pairing
made the sauerkraut taste bitter. This surprised me, as i was quite
sure I would prefer the red. The oaky, buttery notes in the Dehlinger
highlighted what is best and most decadent about duck fat and sausage.

My Bulgarian friend opined hands down for the Pinot. This, she said,
is most like what would be served at home in Sofia. When she was a
child her grandmother would give her a small glass of red wine,
watered down and sugared, to go with just such a meal. It should be
noted that she, along with others, very much liked the dishes I
cooked. You'll see why I mention it in just a minute.

My Viennese darling took one taste of the sauerkraut and said "Ooo!
That's a new taste sensation." Meaning- this is not my mother's
sauerkraut and sausage. And that's a bad bad bad thing.
It was impossible after that to get any reasonable verdict on favored
wine pairings.
But being as he is bedridden, it was easy enough to take my bottles
and leave him to think things over.

e.winemonger
www.winemonger.com
winemonger

Wine pairing stumper... DaleW Wine 0 24-04-2009 05:38 PM
Pairing cheese-wine Nils Gustaf Lindgren[_1_] Wine 23 12-12-2008 02:02 PM
Wine pairing... MaxMustermann Wine 5 29-11-2006 01:14 PM
Wine pairing for chipmunk? Uranium Committee Wine 15 29-11-2004 12:47 AM
Food and Wine Pairing Terry Wine 1 26-01-2004 08:45 PM