jim schulman

Default TN Douro "Rocha" Touriga Nacional 1999 - Hutcheson, Feuerheerd & Associados

Gregory at the Hyde Park Binny's, has been telling me to try Douros
for a time. I tried a few in the $10 to $15 range, and while they were
solid wines, they had neither big fruit nor complexity to rave about.
I tried the Rocha, at around $15, because the Tauriga Nacional is the
premier grape of the region.

Garnet to dark ruby color. Floral and slightly vegetal aromas. Decent
acidity; blackcurrents and chocolate flavors, medium tannins, and the
raisiny quality one gets from old style Italian reds (the bottle notes
say "heavy maceration").

This isn't a super fruity wine; but I like it better than the 90 rated
inexpensive Spanish and Southern Italian wines, since it is more than
one dimensional, with some real depth and complexity.

--
Jim

)