FoodBanter.com

-   -   Serving temp for Riesling and Gewurztraminer (https://www.foodbanter.com/wine/34349-serving-temp-riesling-gewurztraminer.html)

skenzer 10-09-2004 07:01 PM

Serving temp for Riesling and Gewurztraminer

Can somebody clarify what the proper serving temps should be for these
wines? I'm assuming around 45f but want to make sure.
Thanks
Skenz

Anders Tĝrneskog 10-09-2004 07:19 PM

"skenzer" > skrev i melding
> Can somebody clarify what the proper serving temps should be for these
> wines? I'm assuming around 45f but want to make sure.
> Thanks
> Skenz

45F is 7.5C and that's pretty cold for a quality wine. Simple and sweet
Germans of the Liebfraumilch or Moselblümchen class act well as summer quaff
at that temperature. I think you should consider 50F (10C), even 54F (12C)
for the very best bottles.

However, that's actually not much of a problem - the wine will warm up in
the glass and you'll easily find which temperature suits you (and the wine).
Worse is serving too warm...
Anders

Hunt 10-09-2004 07:42 PM

In article >,
says...

>"skenzer" > skrev i melding
.. .
>> Can somebody clarify what the proper serving temps should be for these
>> wines? I'm assuming around 45f but want to make sure.
>> Thanks
>> Skenz

>45F is 7.5C and that's pretty cold for a quality wine. Simple and sweet
>Germans of the Liebfraumilch or Moselblümchen class act well as summer quaff
>at that temperature. I think you should consider 50F (10C), even 54F (12C)
>for the very best bottles.
>
>However, that's actually not much of a problem - the wine will warm up in
>the glass and you'll easily find which temperature suits you (and the wine).
>Worse is serving too warm...
>Anders

Yes, I often cup my hands to the bowl (I know that it is not the *proper* way
to do it, and it does leave fingerprints) to add a bit of warmth to whites
that I find were served too cold - a common occurance in the US restaurants,
where they bring it out of the cooler at 45F and then plunge it into an ice
bucket! Fortunately, being on the cool side doesn't usually mask major flaws,
so it's still possible to get a quick assessment of whether the wine is *bad*,
while the wait-person stands by, but it can, and does mask a lot of minor
flaws. I've even had a very few restaurants bring out iced glasses - uck! It's
usually easy to get glassware at room temp though. You just have to meet the
glare from the wait-person, when making that request. Luckily, none of these
establishments had a WS award, or DiRona on the wall :-}

Hunt

PS, I'll more often request the ice bucket for 75F reds - again the glare...

Hunt 10-09-2004 07:42 PM

In article >,
says...

>"skenzer" > skrev i melding
.. .

winemonger 11-09-2004 12:49 AM

"Anders Tĝrneskog" > wrote in message news:
> However, that's actually not much of a problem - the wine will warm up in
> the glass and you'll easily find which temperature suits you (and the wine).
> Worse is serving too warm...
> Anders

And be sure to keep the bottle cold whilst you drink that glass- an
ice bucket works great, or one of those frozen sleeve things.

e.winemonger
www.winemonger.com

winemonger 11-09-2004 12:54 AM

"Anders Tĝrneskog" > wrote in message news:
> 45F is 7.5C and that's pretty cold for a quality wine. Simple and sweet
> Germans of the Liebfraumilch or Moselblümchen class act well as summer quaff
> at that temperature. I think you should consider 50F (10C), even 54F (12C)
>
> Anders

I posted my last message before I was done writing it! Anyhow- one
wine book recommends drinking Gewurztraminer at between 45 to 50
degrees F, and I'd lean towards something in the middle there.

e. winemonger
www.winemonger.com

Michael Scarpitti 11-09-2004 02:24 AM

skenzer > wrote in message >. ..
> Can somebody clarify what the proper serving temps should be for these
> wines? I'm assuming around 45f but want to make sure.
> Thanks
> Skenz

No, 50-55 F.

Ian Hoare 11-09-2004 01:36 PM

Salut/Hi Michael Scarpitti,

le/on 10 Sep 2004 18:24:08 -0700, tu disais/you said:-

>skenzer > wrote in message >. ..
>> Can somebody clarify what the proper serving temps should be for these
>> wines? I'm assuming around 45f but want to make sure.
>> Thanks
>> Skenz

>No, 50-55 F.

How would you know? From your personal experience of only drinking Italian
wines?

I say this publicly to warn all readers to take everything this troll says
with not just a pinch of salt, but a whole bushel.

To answer the OP, if it's a Gewurz with some residual sweetness, serving it
colder (say around 45F) will tend to bring the whole wine into better
equilibrium. If it's a top dry Gewurz made by someone like Ostertag or
Faller or Deiss, then maybe a touch warmer, I feel.
--
All the Best
Ian Hoare

Ian Hoare 11-09-2004 01:36 PM

Salut/Hi Michael Scarpitti,

Mike Tommasi 11-09-2004 02:26 PM

On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 14:36:17 +0200, Ian Hoare >
wrote:

>Salut/Hi Michael Scarpitti,
>
> le/on 10 Sep 2004 18:24:08 -0700, tu disais/you said:-
>
>>skenzer > wrote in message >. ..
>>> Can somebody clarify what the proper serving temps should be for these
>>> wines? I'm assuming around 45f but want to make sure.
>>> Thanks
>>> Skenz

>>No, 50-55 F.

>How would you know? From your personal experience of only drinking Italian
>wines?

Precisely

>I say this publicly to warn all readers to take everything this troll says
>with not just a pinch of salt, but a whole bushel.

I could not agree more. On behalf of all Italians of gentler
extraction than that particularly obnoxious dogmatic and brain-limited
varietal, I protest.

>To answer the OP, if it's a Gewurz with some residual sweetness, serving it
>colder (say around 45F) will tend to bring the whole wine into better
>equilibrium. If it's a top dry Gewurz made by someone like Ostertag or
>Faller or Deiss, then maybe a touch warmer, I feel.

Agreed. The question referring to both grape varieties, I also assume
that we are talking French (aka F_____) wine, and I would add to the
list of "warmer" wines, such producers as Frick, Gresser, Sipp,
Kreydenweiss.

Mike

Mike Tommasi, Six Fours, France
email link http://www.tommasi.org/mymail

Mike Tommasi 11-09-2004 02:26 PM

wrote:

>Salut/Hi Michael Scarpitti,
>
> le/on 10 Sep 2004 18:24:08 -0700, tu disais/you said:-
>
>>skenzer > wrote in message >. ..
>>> Can somebody clarify what the proper serving temps should be for these
>>> wines? I'm assuming around 45f but want to make sure.
>>> Thanks
>>> Skenz

>>No, 50-55 F.

>How would you know? From your personal experience of only drinking Italian
>wines?

Precisely

Cwdjrx _ 11-09-2004 05:13 PM

I find that top German Rieslings of Auslese, BA, and TBA quality often
are served too cold. A good example of one of these wines has plenty of
acidity to balance the sweetness, so you do not need to overchill the
wine to make it seem more balanced. If you overchill, you can lose much
of the powerful and complex bouquet that such wines have. I find that
close to cellar temperature often works for me. If you have a very cold
cellar such as in parts of Europe, the wine may need to be a bit warmer.
If there is a big difference in the room temperature and desired serving
temperature, it helps to use ultra thin glasses so the wine does not
rapidly change temperature in the direction of room temperature. In
case the glass of wine proves a bit too cool, you can warm the glass
with your hand. In case the wine is too warm, I use a sealed silver
bulb with a long stem filled with a liquid. This is stored in the
freezer. One can stir the wine in the glass with this a bit to lower the
temperature. I have had the devices for years, but do not know if they
are still made. I seldom need them, but they are nice to have when I
have to delay drinking a glass of wine and it becomes too warm.

My mailbox is always full to avoid spam. To contact me, erase
from my email address. Then add . I do not
check this box every day, so post if you need a quick response.

Michael Scarpitti 12-09-2004 12:28 AM

Ian Hoare > wrote in message >. ..
> Salut/Hi Michael Scarpitti,
>
> le/on 10 Sep 2004 18:24:08 -0700, tu disais/you said:-
>
> >skenzer > wrote in message >. ..
> >> Can somebody clarify what the proper serving temps should be for these
> >> wines? I'm assuming around 45f but want to make sure.
> >> Thanks
> >> Skenz

> >No, 50-55 F.

> How would you know? From your personal experience of only drinking Italian
> wines?

I used to drink a LOT of German wines. There is hardly ANY wine that
sgould be served below 50F.

> I say this publicly to warn all readers to take everything this troll says
> with not just a pinch of salt, but a whole bushel.

You'll note below that someone agrees with me.

> To answer the OP, if it's a Gewurz with some residual sweetness, serving it
> colder (say around 45F) will tend to bring the whole wine into better
> equilibrium. If it's a top dry Gewurz made by someone like Ostertag or
> Faller or Deiss, then maybe a touch warmer, I feel.

That's what I said. So, why are you mocking me?

Michael Scarpitti 12-09-2004 12:28 AM

Michael Scarpitti 12-09-2004 12:30 AM

(Cwdjrx _) wrote in message >...
> I find that top German Rieslings of Auslese, BA, and TBA quality often
> are served too cold.

Yes. Hardly any wine should be served below 50F.

> A good example of one of these wines has plenty of
> acidity to balance the sweetness, so you do not need to overchill the
> wine to make it seem more balanced. If you overchill, you can lose much
> of the powerful and complex bouquet that such wines have.

Yes, the tastebuds cannot function properly.

Michael Scarpitti 12-09-2004 12:30 AM

st.helier 12-09-2004 09:43 AM

"Michael Scarpitti" (A.K.A. Uranium Committee) complained......

> So, why are you mocking me?

Yes Ian, don't you know that serial trolls who are mocked may grow up
scarred for life...

Even trolls who are pathological liars and particularly trolls with FITH
disease (it must have been overexposure to uranium!)

Anyway, just wait - in a day or two Uranium Cranium will be saying that it
was he who planted riesling and gewurz in an obscure corner of Italy
(perhaps even the corner which gave rise to the wisdom this troll expounds)

Anyway, I refuse to killfile this jerk - I just want to find out how thick
skinned he is!!!!

--

st.h