Uranium Committee

Dana Myers > wrote in message . com>...
> Uranium Committee wrote:
>
> > Oxidation may conceivably 'improve' a grossly immature wine, but only
> > because it is immature, and only for a brief period.

> Perhaps long enough to drink it... :-)
>
> Dana

Perhaps. But as I said, I don't like raw wines. Barbera, in
particular, is often sold very young, far too young for my tatse.
Uranium Committee

Dana Myers > wrote in message . com>...
> Uranium Committee wrote:
>
> > Oxidation may conceivably 'improve' a grossly immature wine, but only
> > because it is immature, and only for a brief period.

> Perhaps long enough to drink it... :-)
>
> Dana

Perhaps. But as I said, I don't like raw wines. Barbera, in
particular, is often sold very young, far too young for my tatse.
Dana Myers

Uranium Committee wrote:
> Dana Myers > wrote in message . com>...
>
>>Uranium Committee wrote:
>>

>>>Oxidation may conceivably 'improve' a grossly immature wine, but only
>>>because it is immature, and only for a brief period.

>>Perhaps long enough to drink it... :-)
>>
>>Dana

> Perhaps. But as I said, I don't like raw wines. Barbera, in
> particular, is often sold very young, far too young for my tatse.

It probably won't surprise you that every time someone
asks me "I have this really old wine, how long should I
let it breathe?", I invariably answer "it'll breathe
enough in your glass, if you wait too long, you'll likely
miss it".

But 90% of wine is consumed shortly after purchase, so many
bottles are consumed as children, and some exposure to air
often makes them better.

You started using the term "mature", and even that is
open to interpretation. My sense of a "mature" wine is
perhaps a little different than yours, in that I think
of a wine that's at or near "peak". A little air seems to
always do such a wine some good. Wines that I consider
"over-the-hill" are the ones that air just kills.

Cheers,
Dana
Uranium Committee

Dana Myers > wrote in message .com>...
> Uranium Committee wrote:
> > Dana Myers > wrote in message . com>...

> >>Perhaps long enough to drink it... :-)
> >>
> >>Dana

> > Perhaps. But as I said, I don't like raw wines. Barbera, in
> > particular, is often sold very young, far too young for my tatse.

> It probably won't surprise you that every time someone
> asks me "I have this really old wine, how long should I
> let it breathe?", I invariably answer "it'll breathe
> enough in your glass, if you wait too long, you'll likely
> miss it".
>
> But 90% of wine is consumed shortly after purchase, so many
> bottles are consumed as children, and some exposure to air
> often makes them better.
>
> You started using the term "mature", and even that is
> open to interpretation. My sense of a "mature" wine is
> perhaps a little different than yours, in that I think
> of a wine that's at or near "peak".

I quite agree. Do you imbibe much Barbera? It's usually sold very
young. I like it much older than that. That does not apply to
Dolcetto, however, except for Dolcetto di Dolgliani, which ages far
better than Asti or Alba.

> A little air seems to
> always do such a wine some good. Wines that I consider
> "over-the-hill" are the ones that air just kills.
>
> Cheers,
> Dana

Uranium Committee

Dana Myers > wrote in message .com>...
> Uranium Committee wrote:
> > Dana Myers > wrote in message . com>...

> >>Perhaps long enough to drink it... :-)
> >>
> >>Dana

> > Perhaps. But as I said, I don't like raw wines. Barbera, in
> > particular, is often sold very young, far too young for my tatse.

> It probably won't surprise you that every time someone
> asks me "I have this really old wine, how long should I
> let it breathe?", I invariably answer "it'll breathe
> enough in your glass, if you wait too long, you'll likely
> miss it".
>
> But 90% of wine is consumed shortly after purchase, so many
> bottles are consumed as children, and some exposure to air
> often makes them better.
>
> You started using the term "mature", and even that is
> open to interpretation. My sense of a "mature" wine is
> perhaps a little different than yours, in that I think
> of a wine that's at or near "peak".

I quite agree. Do you imbibe much Barbera? It's usually sold very
young. I like it much older than that. That does not apply to
Dolcetto, however, except for Dolcetto di Dolgliani, which ages far
better than Asti or Alba.

> A little air seems to
> always do such a wine some good. Wines that I consider
> "over-the-hill" are the ones that air just kills.
>
> Cheers,
> Dana

Uranium Committee

Dana Myers > wrote in message .com>...
> Uranium Committee wrote:
> > Dana Myers > wrote in message . com>...

> >>Perhaps long enough to drink it... :-)
> >>
> >>Dana

> > Perhaps. But as I said, I don't like raw wines. Barbera, in
> > particular, is often sold very young, far too young for my tatse.

> It probably won't surprise you that every time someone
> asks me "I have this really old wine, how long should I
> let it breathe?", I invariably answer "it'll breathe
> enough in your glass, if you wait too long, you'll likely
> miss it".
>
> But 90% of wine is consumed shortly after purchase, so many
> bottles are consumed as children, and some exposure to air
> often makes them better.
>
> You started using the term "mature", and even that is
> open to interpretation. My sense of a "mature" wine is
> perhaps a little different than yours, in that I think
> of a wine that's at or near "peak".

I quite agree. Do you imbibe much Barbera? It's usually sold very
young. I like it much older than that. That does not apply to
Dolcetto, however, except for Dolcetto di Dolgliani, which ages far
better than Asti or Alba.

> A little air seems to
> always do such a wine some good. Wines that I consider
> "over-the-hill" are the ones that air just kills.
>
> Cheers,
> Dana

Uranium Committee

Dana Myers > wrote in message .com>...
> Uranium Committee wrote:
> > Dana Myers > wrote in message . com>...

> >>Perhaps long enough to drink it... :-)
> >>
> >>Dana

> > Perhaps. But as I said, I don't like raw wines. Barbera, in
> > particular, is often sold very young, far too young for my tatse.

> It probably won't surprise you that every time someone
> asks me "I have this really old wine, how long should I
> let it breathe?", I invariably answer "it'll breathe
> enough in your glass, if you wait too long, you'll likely
> miss it".
>
> But 90% of wine is consumed shortly after purchase, so many
> bottles are consumed as children, and some exposure to air
> often makes them better.
>
> You started using the term "mature", and even that is
> open to interpretation. My sense of a "mature" wine is
> perhaps a little different than yours, in that I think
> of a wine that's at or near "peak".

I quite agree. Do you imbibe much Barbera? It's usually sold very
young. I like it much older than that. That does not apply to
Dolcetto, however, except for Dolcetto di Dolgliani, which ages far
better than Asti or Alba.

> A little air seems to
> always do such a wine some good. Wines that I consider
> "over-the-hill" are the ones that air just kills.
>
> Cheers,
> Dana

Uranium Committee

Dana Myers > wrote in message .com>...
> Uranium Committee wrote:
> > Dana Myers > wrote in message . com>...

> >>Perhaps long enough to drink it... :-)
> >>
> >>Dana

> > Perhaps. But as I said, I don't like raw wines. Barbera, in
> > particular, is often sold very young, far too young for my tatse.

> It probably won't surprise you that every time someone
> asks me "I have this really old wine, how long should I
> let it breathe?", I invariably answer "it'll breathe
> enough in your glass, if you wait too long, you'll likely
> miss it".
>
> But 90% of wine is consumed shortly after purchase, so many
> bottles are consumed as children, and some exposure to air
> often makes them better.
>
> You started using the term "mature", and even that is
> open to interpretation. My sense of a "mature" wine is
> perhaps a little different than yours, in that I think
> of a wine that's at or near "peak".

I quite agree. Do you imbibe much Barbera? It's usually sold very
young. I like it much older than that. That does not apply to
Dolcetto, however, except for Dolcetto di Dolgliani, which ages far
better than Asti or Alba.

> A little air seems to
> always do such a wine some good. Wines that I consider
> "over-the-hill" are the ones that air just kills.
>
> Cheers,
> Dana

Uranium Committee

Dana Myers > wrote in message .com>...
> Uranium Committee wrote:
> > Dana Myers > wrote in message . com>...

> >>Perhaps long enough to drink it... :-)
> >>
> >>Dana

> > Perhaps. But as I said, I don't like raw wines. Barbera, in
> > particular, is often sold very young, far too young for my tatse.

> It probably won't surprise you that every time someone
> asks me "I have this really old wine, how long should I
> let it breathe?", I invariably answer "it'll breathe
> enough in your glass, if you wait too long, you'll likely
> miss it".
>
> But 90% of wine is consumed shortly after purchase, so many
> bottles are consumed as children, and some exposure to air
> often makes them better.
>
> You started using the term "mature", and even that is
> open to interpretation. My sense of a "mature" wine is
> perhaps a little different than yours, in that I think
> of a wine that's at or near "peak".

I quite agree about 'peak'.

Do you imbibe much Barbera? It's usually sold very young. I like it
much older than that. That does not apply to Dolcetto, however, except
for Dolcetto di Dolgliani, which ages far better than Asti or Alba.

> A little air seems to
> always do such a wine some good. Wines that I consider
> "over-the-hill" are the ones that air just kills.
>
> Cheers,
> Dana

Uranium Committee

Dana Myers > wrote in message .com>...
> Uranium Committee wrote:
> > Dana Myers > wrote in message . com>...

> >>Perhaps long enough to drink it... :-)
> >>
> >>Dana

> > Perhaps. But as I said, I don't like raw wines. Barbera, in
> > particular, is often sold very young, far too young for my tatse.

> It probably won't surprise you that every time someone
> asks me "I have this really old wine, how long should I
> let it breathe?", I invariably answer "it'll breathe
> enough in your glass, if you wait too long, you'll likely
> miss it".
>
> But 90% of wine is consumed shortly after purchase, so many
> bottles are consumed as children, and some exposure to air
> often makes them better.
>
> You started using the term "mature", and even that is
> open to interpretation. My sense of a "mature" wine is
> perhaps a little different than yours, in that I think
> of a wine that's at or near "peak".

I quite agree about 'peak'.

Do you imbibe much Barbera? It's usually sold very young. I like it
much older than that. That does not apply to Dolcetto, however, except
for Dolcetto di Dolgliani, which ages far better than Asti or Alba.

> A little air seems to
> always do such a wine some good. Wines that I consider
> "over-the-hill" are the ones that air just kills.
>
> Cheers,
> Dana

Uranium Committee

Dana Myers > wrote in message .com>...
> Uranium Committee wrote:
> > Dana Myers > wrote in message . com>...

> >>Perhaps long enough to drink it... :-)
> >>
> >>Dana

> > Perhaps. But as I said, I don't like raw wines. Barbera, in
> > particular, is often sold very young, far too young for my tatse.

> It probably won't surprise you that every time someone
> asks me "I have this really old wine, how long should I
> let it breathe?", I invariably answer "it'll breathe
> enough in your glass, if you wait too long, you'll likely
> miss it".
>
> But 90% of wine is consumed shortly after purchase, so many
> bottles are consumed as children, and some exposure to air
> often makes them better.
>
> You started using the term "mature", and even that is
> open to interpretation. My sense of a "mature" wine is
> perhaps a little different than yours, in that I think
> of a wine that's at or near "peak".

I quite agree about 'peak'.

Do you imbibe much Barbera? It's usually sold very young. I like it
much older than that. That does not apply to Dolcetto, however, except
for Dolcetto di Dolgliani, which ages far better than Asti or Alba.

> A little air seems to
> always do such a wine some good. Wines that I consider
> "over-the-hill" are the ones that air just kills.
>
> Cheers,
> Dana

Joe Rosenberg

R you guys(posters & repliers) sure its not the plural uranium you should be
using but the singular "Uranus"

--
Joe "Beppe" Rosenberg
"Uranium Committee" > wrote in message
om...
> Dana Myers > wrote in message

.com>...
> > Uranium Committee wrote:
> > > Dana Myers > wrote in message

. com>...

> > > Perhaps. But as I said, I don't like raw wines. Barbera, in
> > > particular, is often sold very young, far too young for my tatse.

> > It probably won't surprise you that every time someone
> > asks me "I have this really old wine, how long should I
> > let it breathe?", I invariably answer "it'll breathe
> > enough in your glass, if you wait too long, you'll likely
> > miss it".
> >
> > But 90% of wine is consumed shortly after purchase, so many
> > bottles are consumed as children, and some exposure to air
> > often makes them better.
> >
> > You started using the term "mature", and even that is
> > open to interpretation. My sense of a "mature" wine is
> > perhaps a little different than yours, in that I think
> > of a wine that's at or near "peak".

> I quite agree about 'peak'.
>
> Do you imbibe much Barbera? It's usually sold very young. I like it
> much older than that. That does not apply to Dolcetto, however, except
> for Dolcetto di Dolgliani, which ages far better than Asti or Alba.
>
> > A little air seems to
> > always do such a wine some good. Wines that I consider
> > "over-the-hill" are the ones that air just kills.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Dana

Joe Rosenberg

R you guys(posters & repliers) sure its not the plural uranium you should be
using but the singular "Uranus"

--
Joe "Beppe" Rosenberg
"Uranium Committee" > wrote in message
om...
> Dana Myers > wrote in message

.com>...
> > Uranium Committee wrote:
> > > Dana Myers > wrote in message

. com>...

> > > Perhaps. But as I said, I don't like raw wines. Barbera, in
> > > particular, is often sold very young, far too young for my tatse.

> > It probably won't surprise you that every time someone
> > asks me "I have this really old wine, how long should I
> > let it breathe?", I invariably answer "it'll breathe
> > enough in your glass, if you wait too long, you'll likely
> > miss it".
> >
> > But 90% of wine is consumed shortly after purchase, so many
> > bottles are consumed as children, and some exposure to air
> > often makes them better.
> >
> > You started using the term "mature", and even that is
> > open to interpretation. My sense of a "mature" wine is
> > perhaps a little different than yours, in that I think
> > of a wine that's at or near "peak".

> I quite agree about 'peak'.
>
> Do you imbibe much Barbera? It's usually sold very young. I like it
> much older than that. That does not apply to Dolcetto, however, except
> for Dolcetto di Dolgliani, which ages far better than Asti or Alba.
>
> > A little air seems to
> > always do such a wine some good. Wines that I consider
> > "over-the-hill" are the ones that air just kills.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Dana

RV WRLee

>> >Peel an apple and watch it turn brown. See how long it takes. The same
>> >thing is happeneing to your wine as it sits out in the air.
>> >

>> No it's not.
>> Bi!!

>Yes, it is. The problem with wine is that you cannot 'see' it. With
>the apple, it's visible.

No, it's not.
Bi!!
RV WRLee

>> >Peel an apple and watch it turn brown. See how long it takes. The same
>> >thing is happeneing to your wine as it sits out in the air.
>> >

>> No it's not.
>> Bi!!

>Yes, it is. The problem with wine is that you cannot 'see' it. With
>the apple, it's visible.

No, it's not.
Bi!!
Ian Hoare

Salut/Hi RV WRLee,

le/on 19 Sep 2004 10:14:04 GMT, tu disais/you said:-

>>> No it's not.
>>> Bi!!

>>Yes, it is. The problem with wine is that you cannot 'see' it. With
>>the apple, it's visible.
>>

>No, it's not.

Bill, Bill... facts don't trouble trolls. All they want is to be noticed.

Of course you're right, the oxidation processes in wine are quite different
from those which turn fruit brown. BUT Michael is right in that both
processes involve oxidation. But as we both know perfectly well, that's
entirely irrelevant. Apples, pears, peaches and most fruits _don't_ benefit
from oxidation, although it might be the case that fruit wines made from
them could, upon opening the bottle. Many wines DO benefit from aeration,
and although the _fundamental chemical process_ may be the same, the reasons
and the results are quite different.

Michael's view of aeration is the archetypical justification of the dictum
"a little knowledge is a dangerous thing".
--
All the Best
Ian Hoare
Ian Hoare

Salut/Hi RV WRLee,

>>> No it's not.
>>> Bi!!

>>Yes, it is. The problem with wine is that you cannot 'see' it. With
>>the apple, it's visible.
>>

>No, it's not.

Bill, Bill... facts don't trouble trolls. All they want is to be noticed.

Of course you're right, the oxidation processes in wine are quite different
from those which turn fruit brown. BUT Michael is right in that both
processes involve oxidation. But as we both know perfectly well, that's
entirely irrelevant. Apples, pears, peaches and most fruits _don't_ benefit
from oxidation, although it might be the case that fruit wines made from
them could, upon opening the bottle. Many wines DO benefit from aeration,
and although the _fundamental chemical process_ may be the same, the reasons
and the results are quite different.

Michael's view of aeration is the archetypical justification of the dictum
"a little knowledge is a dangerous thing".
--
All the Best
Ian Hoare
http://www.souvigne.com
Michael Pronay

(RV WRLee) wrote:

> No, it's not.
> Bi!!

Please - do not feed the trolls!

M.

RV WRLee

>>>Yes, it is. The problem with wine is that you cannot 'see' it. With
>>>the apple, it's visible.
>>>

>>No, it's not.

>Bill, Bill... facts don't trouble trolls. All they want is to be noticed.
>
>Of course you're right, the oxidation processes in wine are quite different
>from those which turn fruit brown. BUT Michael is right in that both
>processes involve oxidation. But as we both know perfectly well, that's
>entirely irrelevant. Apples, pears, peaches and most fruits _don't_ benefit
>from oxidation, although it might be the case that fruit wines made from
>them could, upon opening the bottle. Many wines DO benefit from aeration,
>and although the _fundamental chemical process_ may be the same, the reasons
>and the results are quite different.
>
>Michael's view of aeration is the archetypical justification of the dictum
>"a little knowledge is a dangerous thing".
>--
>All the Best
>Ian Hoare

Ian and group. I know that an apple oxidizes when it's peeled etc. It's not
exactly the same chemical process that occurs in wine but it is oxidation so I
have just a shred of fact to back me up but in reality I was just giving him a
dose of his own medicine. I should have used the obligatory smiley. Sorry.
Bi!!
RV WRLee

>>>Yes, it is. The problem with wine is that you cannot 'see' it. With
>>>the apple, it's visible.
>>>

>>No, it's not.

>Bill, Bill... facts don't trouble trolls. All they want is to be noticed.
>
>Of course you're right, the oxidation processes in wine are quite different
>from those which turn fruit brown. BUT Michael is right in that both
>processes involve oxidation. But as we both know perfectly well, that's
>entirely irrelevant. Apples, pears, peaches and most fruits _don't_ benefit
>from oxidation, although it might be the case that fruit wines made from
>them could, upon opening the bottle. Many wines DO benefit from aeration,
>and although the _fundamental chemical process_ may be the same, the reasons
>and the results are quite different.
>
>Michael's view of aeration is the archetypical justification of the dictum
>"a little knowledge is a dangerous thing".
>--
>All the Best
>Ian Hoare

Ian and group. I know that an apple oxidizes when it's peeled etc. It's not
exactly the same chemical process that occurs in wine but it is oxidation so I
have just a shred of fact to back me up but in reality I was just giving him a
dose of his own medicine. I should have used the obligatory smiley. Sorry.
Bi!!

Vino

On 19 Sep 2004 23:39:26 GMT, (RV WRLee) wrote:

>>>No, it's not.

>>Bill, Bill... facts don't trouble trolls. All they want is to be noticed.
>>
>>Of course you're right, the oxidation processes in wine are quite different
>>from those which turn fruit brown. BUT Michael is right in that both
>>processes involve oxidation. But as we both know perfectly well, that's
>>entirely irrelevant. Apples, pears, peaches and most fruits _don't_ benefit
>>from oxidation, although it might be the case that fruit wines made from
>>them could, upon opening the bottle. Many wines DO benefit from aeration,
>>and although the _fundamental chemical process_ may be the same, the reasons
>>and the results are quite different.
>>
>>Michael's view of aeration is the archetypical justification of the dictum
>>"a little knowledge is a dangerous thing".
>>--
>>All the Best
>>Ian Hoare

>Ian and group. I know that an apple oxidizes when it's peeled etc. It's not
>exactly the same chemical process that occurs in wine but it is oxidation so I
>have just a shred of fact to back me up but in reality I was just giving him a
>dose of his own medicine. I should have used the obligatory smiley. Sorry.
>Bi!!

I've heard that if you spread vitamin E around the surface of a cut
apple, that will prevent oxidation. Maybe everyone, when they open a
bottle of wine, should drop a capsule of vitamin E into it. That would
solve everyone's problem and end this stupid thread. ;-)

Vino
Vino

On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 01:11:41 GMT, Vino > wrote:

>I've heard that if you spread vitamin E around the surface of a cut
>apple, that will prevent oxidation. Maybe everyone, when they open a
>bottle of wine, should drop a capsule of vitamin E into it. That would
>solve everyone's problem and end this stupid thread. ;-)
>
>Vino

Oops, I just realized I was the one that started this thread. My
apologies for the direction it has taken. :-(

Vino
Vino

On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 01:11:41 GMT, Vino > wrote:

>I've heard that if you spread vitamin E around the surface of a cut
>apple, that will prevent oxidation. Maybe everyone, when they open a
>bottle of wine, should drop a capsule of vitamin E into it. That would
>solve everyone's problem and end this stupid thread. ;-)
>
>Vino

Oops, I just realized I was the one that started this thread. My
apologies for the direction it has taken. :-(

Vino
Vino

On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 01:11:41 GMT, Vino > wrote:

>I've heard that if you spread vitamin E around the surface of a cut
>apple, that will prevent oxidation. Maybe everyone, when they open a
>bottle of wine, should drop a capsule of vitamin E into it. That would
>solve everyone's problem and end this stupid thread. ;-)
>
>Vino

Oops, I just realized I was the one that started this thread. My
apologies for the direction it has taken. :-(

Vino
st.helier

Greetings "Vino" - you wrote....

> Oops, I just realized I was the one that started this thread.
> My apologies for the direction it has taken. :-(

LOL

A case of what goes round.... :-)

Have you noticed that MS (troll or not!) never bothered to correct the
spelling of his name in the subject line despite numerous postings?

I cannot stand my name being spelt incorrectly!

--

st.h

st.helier

Greetings "Vino" - you wrote....

> Oops, I just realized I was the one that started this thread.
> My apologies for the direction it has taken. :-(

LOL

A case of what goes round.... :-)

Have you noticed that MS (troll or not!) never bothered to correct the
spelling of his name in the subject line despite numerous postings?

I cannot stand my name being spelt incorrectly!

--

st.h

Vino

On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 13:44:01 +1200, "st.helier"
> wrote:

>Greetings "Vino" - you wrote....
>
>> Oops, I just realized I was the one that started this thread.
>> My apologies for the direction it has taken. :-(

>LOL
>
>A case of what goes round.... :-)
>
>Have you noticed that MS (troll or not!) never bothered to correct the
>spelling of his name in the subject line despite numerous postings?
>
>I cannot stand my name being spelt incorrectly!

Likewise.

Initially, I spelled it from memory, not realizing that I was spelling
it incorrectly. Later, I continued misspelling it because I thought
the misspelled name fit his profile more accurately. I don't know much
about NZ slang, so you may not appreciate the humor involved here.
Similarly with English speakers in places other than the USA. Anyone
who doesn't get it can contact me privately.

Vino
"x" no longer required

Vino

On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 13:44:01 +1200, "st.helier"
> wrote:

>Greetings "Vino" - you wrote....
>
>> Oops, I just realized I was the one that started this thread.
>> My apologies for the direction it has taken. :-(

>LOL
>
>A case of what goes round.... :-)
>
>Have you noticed that MS (troll or not!) never bothered to correct the
>spelling of his name in the subject line despite numerous postings?
>
>I cannot stand my name being spelt incorrectly!

Likewise.

Initially, I spelled it from memory, not realizing that I was spelling
it incorrectly. Later, I continued misspelling it because I thought
the misspelled name fit his profile more accurately. I don't know much
about NZ slang, so you may not appreciate the humor involved here.
Similarly with English speakers in places other than the USA. Anyone
who doesn't get it can contact me privately.

Vino
"x" no longer required

st.helier

Surely you are not suggesting that he is full of s##t!!!!!

st.helier

Surely you are not suggesting that he is full of s##t!!!!!

Vino

On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 15:45:35 +1200, "st.helier"
> wrote:

>Surely you are not suggesting that he is full of s##t!!!!!

Close enough.

Vino
Vino

On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 15:45:35 +1200, "st.helier"
> wrote:

>Surely you are not suggesting that he is full of s##t!!!!!

Close enough.

Vino
Uranium Committee

"st.helier" > wrote in message news:<1095644674.51550@ftpsrv1>...
> Greetings "Vino" - you wrote....
>
> > Oops, I just realized I was the one that started this thread.
> > My apologies for the direction it has taken. :-(

> LOL
>
> A case of what goes round.... :-)
>
> Have you noticed that MS (troll or not!) never bothered to correct the
> spelling of his name in the subject line despite numerous postings?
>
> I cannot stand my name being spelt incorrectly!

I was going to mention it, but it seemed to be too late to do anything about it.
Ian Hoare

Salut/Hi Vino,

le/on Mon, 20 Sep 2004 01:11:41 GMT, tu disais/you said:-

>>Ian and group. I know that an apple oxidizes when it's peeled etc. It's not
>>exactly the same chemical process that occurs in wine but it is oxidation so I
>>have just a shred of fact to back me up but in reality I was just giving him a
>>dose of his own medicine. I should have used the obligatory smiley. Sorry.

Don't worry, Bill. No harm done!

>I've heard that if you spread vitamin E around the surface of a cut
>apple, that will prevent oxidation.

Nearly. down two letters. Vitamin C (Ascorbic acid) is the stuff. My
standard method of preventing fruit browning is to make a very dilute
solution of Vitamin C (1/4 tsp per quart) and to drop the
apple/pear/peach/whatever quarters into it, before further processing. In
fact, I believe that Vitamin C is sold - as Ascorbic acid, as an
anti-oxidant to winemakers.

>bottle of wine, should drop a capsule of vitamin E into it.

I refuse. The reason I decant to to ALLOW some controlled oxidation.
(Chuckle).

> end this stupid thread. ;-)

I don't know, I rather enjoyed the subsequent exchanges between you and my
Lord Bourke of Peerage.

--
All the Best
Ian Hoare
Ian Hoare

Salut/Hi Vino,

le/on Mon, 20 Sep 2004 01:11:41 GMT, tu disais/you said:-

>>Ian and group. I know that an apple oxidizes when it's peeled etc. It's not
>>exactly the same chemical process that occurs in wine but it is oxidation so I
>>have just a shred of fact to back me up but in reality I was just giving him a
>>dose of his own medicine. I should have used the obligatory smiley. Sorry.

Don't worry, Bill. No harm done!

>I've heard that if you spread vitamin E around the surface of a cut
>apple, that will prevent oxidation.

Nearly. down two letters. Vitamin C (Ascorbic acid) is the stuff. My
standard method of preventing fruit browning is to make a very dilute
solution of Vitamin C (1/4 tsp per quart) and to drop the
apple/pear/peach/whatever quarters into it, before further processing. In
fact, I believe that Vitamin C is sold - as Ascorbic acid, as an
anti-oxidant to winemakers.

>bottle of wine, should drop a capsule of vitamin E into it.

I refuse. The reason I decant to to ALLOW some controlled oxidation.
(Chuckle).

> end this stupid thread. ;-)

I don't know, I rather enjoyed the subsequent exchanges between you and my
Lord Bourke of Peerage.

--
All the Best
Ian Hoare
http://www.souvigne.com

Looks like the Sriracha problem wasn't a problem after all. ImStillMags General Cooking 1 16-07-2014 11:39 PM
Hey, Michael! Melba's Jammin' General Cooking 6 23-11-2005 09:50 PM
Are Michael Scarpotti and Uranium Committee One and the Same? Vino Wine 8 12-09-2004 06:43 PM
Tea day with Michael Ripon Tea 4 04-05-2004 12:19 PM
Where's Michael Edleman? PENMART01 General Cooking 13 05-01-2004 03:04 PM