Michael Scarpitti

Default Breathing and vapors

The idea of leaving an fine bottle of wine open to allow all the
aromas to escape is sheer stupidity. The most delicate aromas are the
most volatile. They escape almost at once. After uncorking, I replace
the cork.
Xyzsch

Mike

The experience of many people here does not support your assertion. Young
wines, such as Red Bordeaux under ten years, reveal very little of their
bouquet unless they are allowed to breathe for an hour or more, preferably by
decanting.

Tom Schellberg

Dana Myers

Michael Scarpitti wrote:
> The idea of leaving an fine bottle of wine open to allow all the
> aromas to escape is sheer stupidity. The most delicate aromas are the
> most volatile. They escape almost at once. After uncorking, I replace
> the cork.

Of course, there are some aromas which are not pleasant which escape
as well. Certainly, as one gains experience with older wines, one finds
that they often come out of the bottle with a little bit of funk that
takes a few minutes to blow off. Of course, "good aromas" will also
blow off, so it's really a matter of experience in knowing how
to catch the peak as the wine opens up.

So I wouldn't quite generalize as you have above. Certainly, I usually
do not decant unless I'm concerned about sediment in an older wine, and
I do not open wines long before serving (unless I have direct experience
with the same bottling). I'm really not too worried about losing
aromas that "escape almost at once"... since, if present, they escape
almost at once, you'll lose them by the time you've poured the wine :-).

Dana
Ian Hoare

Salut/Hi Michael Scarpitti,

le/on 2 Sep 2004 13:37:58 -0700, tu disais/you said:-

>The idea of leaving an fine bottle of wine open to allow all the
>aromas to escape is sheer stupidity.

No one suggest you should. Opening the bottle without decanting is a total
waste of time.

> The most delicate aromas are the most volatile. They escape almost at once. After uncorking, I replace
>the cork.

Your experience is diametrically the opposite of mine. I find that after
decanting, leaving a wine to breathe allows it to develop the aromas it
won't show if you don't decant.

--
All the Best
Ian Hoare

Ian Hoare

Salut/Hi Michael Scarpitti,

le/on 2 Sep 2004 13:37:58 -0700, tu disais/you said:-

>The idea of leaving an fine bottle of wine open to allow all the
>aromas to escape is sheer stupidity.

No one suggest you should. Opening the bottle without decanting is a total
waste of time.

> The most delicate aromas are the most volatile. They escape almost at once. After uncorking, I replace
>the cork.

Your experience is diametrically the opposite of mine. I find that after
decanting, leaving a wine to breathe allows it to develop the aromas it
won't show if you don't decant.

--
All the Best
Ian Hoare
http://www.souvigne.com
Tom S

"Michael Scarpitti" > wrote in message
om...
> The idea of leaving an fine bottle of wine open to allow all the
> aromas to escape is sheer stupidity. The most delicate aromas are the
> most volatile. They escape almost at once.

Sorry, but I don't buy that theory - especially (but not exclusively) in the
case of young red wines.

Those highly volatile aromas that escape quickly are low molecular weight
compounds. A few of them would be:
· Acetaldehyde and Acetic Acid - volatile acidity (vinegar)
· Sulfur Dioxide - neither vinous nor pleasant, although a common
preservative in wines)
· Hydrogen Sulfide - rotten egg smell (common in young wines, as it is a
normal product of fermentation)
· Carbon Dioxide - Do you _like_ spritzy red wine?

Not all wines benefit from airing/decanting, but many do - especially young
red wines.

Tom S

Tom S

"Michael Scarpitti" > wrote in message
om...
> The idea of leaving an fine bottle of wine open to allow all the
> aromas to escape is sheer stupidity. The most delicate aromas are the
> most volatile. They escape almost at once.

Sorry, but I don't buy that theory - especially (but not exclusively) in the
case of young red wines.

Those highly volatile aromas that escape quickly are low molecular weight
compounds. A few of them would be:
· Acetaldehyde and Acetic Acid - volatile acidity (vinegar)
· Sulfur Dioxide - neither vinous nor pleasant, although a common
preservative in wines)
· Hydrogen Sulfide - rotten egg smell (common in young wines, as it is a
normal product of fermentation)
· Carbon Dioxide - Do you _like_ spritzy red wine?

Not all wines benefit from airing/decanting, but many do - especially young
red wines.

Tom S

Ian Hoare

Salut/Hi Mike Tommasi,

le/on Fri, 03 Sep 2004 08:13:00 +0200, tu disais/you said:-

>you are new here, so I understand that you want to make a big entry,

Grin!! Like the time I entered a (slightly dark) cellar full of eminent wine
tasters, very full of myself, and carrying "my" wineglass. I failed to
notice the slight step, fell flat on my face, with some pretty ripe
language, and spattered half those present with the wine. Yup, I was
noticed.

>of us do sheer stupidity will get people's attention, but you should
>consider that maybe you are wrong.

Reminds me of Cromwell addressing the british Parliament (I think it was
called the "rump" parliament). I may be misquoting slightly. "Gentlemen!! By
the bowels of Christ I implore you; to consider, if only for one moment, the
possibility that you might be wrong." No doubt that's what Michael is
thinking ;-)))

>I will continue to decant (or was it "carafe") ;-)))

NAUGHTY boy! "Decant" (he said firmly).

>Welcome on board, I guess.

"Mind your heads please, the beams is very, very low." Bonk.

--
All the Best
Ian Hoare
Ian Hoare

Salut/Hi Mike Tommasi,

le/on Fri, 03 Sep 2004 08:13:00 +0200, tu disais/you said:-

>you are new here, so I understand that you want to make a big entry,

Grin!! Like the time I entered a (slightly dark) cellar full of eminent wine
tasters, very full of myself, and carrying "my" wineglass. I failed to
notice the slight step, fell flat on my face, with some pretty ripe
language, and spattered half those present with the wine. Yup, I was
noticed.

>of us do sheer stupidity will get people's attention, but you should
>consider that maybe you are wrong.

Reminds me of Cromwell addressing the british Parliament (I think it was
called the "rump" parliament). I may be misquoting slightly. "Gentlemen!! By
the bowels of Christ I implore you; to consider, if only for one moment, the
possibility that you might be wrong." No doubt that's what Michael is
thinking ;-)))

>I will continue to decant (or was it "carafe") ;-)))

NAUGHTY boy! "Decant" (he said firmly).

>Welcome on board, I guess.

"Mind your heads please, the beams is very, very low." Bonk.

--
All the Best
Ian Hoare
http://www.souvigne.com
Mike Tommasi

On Fri, 03 Sep 2004 11:17:05 +0200, Ian Hoare >
wrote:

>Salut/Hi Mike Tommasi,
>
> le/on Fri, 03 Sep 2004 08:13:00 +0200, tu disais/you said:-
>
>>you are new here, so I understand that you want to make a big entry,

>Grin!! Like the time I entered a (slightly dark) cellar full of eminent wine
>tasters, very full of myself, and carrying "my" wineglass. I failed to
>notice the slight step, fell flat on my face, with some pretty ripe
>language, and spattered half those present with the wine. Yup, I was
>noticed.

Did that really happen to you? Ouch... I have not (yet) managed
anything like that, but it is sure to happen. I once got people
giggling when they noticed (I hadn't) that I was swirling and sniffing
my glass of water...

This could open up a new thread : most embarrassing moments in your
wine "carreer"...

Mike

Mike Tommasi, Six Fours, France
email link http://www.tommasi.org/mymail
Mike Tommasi

wrote:

>Salut/Hi Mike Tommasi,
>
> le/on Fri, 03 Sep 2004 08:13:00 +0200, tu disais/you said:-
>
>>you are new here, so I understand that you want to make a big entry,

>Grin!! Like the time I entered a (slightly dark) cellar full of eminent wine
>tasters, very full of myself, and carrying "my" wineglass. I failed to
>notice the slight step, fell flat on my face, with some pretty ripe
>language, and spattered half those present with the wine. Yup, I was
>noticed.

Did that really happen to you? Ouch... I have not (yet) managed
anything like that, but it is sure to happen. I once got people
giggling when they noticed (I hadn't) that I was swirling and sniffing
my glass of water...

This could open up a new thread : most embarrassing moments in your
wine "carreer"...

Mike

Mike Tommasi, Six Fours, France
email link http://www.tommasi.org/mymail
RV WRLee

>Did that really happen to you? Ouch... I have not (yet) managed
>anything like that, but it is sure to happen. I once got people
>giggling when they noticed (I hadn't) that I was swirling and sniffing
>my glass of water...

I do the saem thing. OFten at trade tastings>Did that really happen to you?
Ouch... I have not (yet) managed
>anything like that, but it is sure to happen. I once got people
>giggling when they noticed (I hadn't) that I was swirling and sniffing
>my glass of water...

I tend to do the same thing. At trade tasting whiel rinsing the glass between
wines I tend to swirl the water to rinse out the previous wine and I often find
myself swirling and sniffing out of habit.
Bi!!
Michael Scarpitti

Dana Myers > wrote in message . com>...
> Michael Scarpitti wrote:
> > The idea of leaving an fine bottle of wine open to allow all the
> > aromas to escape is sheer stupidity. The most delicate aromas are the
> > most volatile. They escape almost at once. After uncorking, I replace
> > the cork.

> Of course, there are some aromas which are not pleasant which escape
> as well. Certainly, as one gains experience with older wines, one finds
> that they often come out of the bottle with a little bit of funk that
> takes a few minutes to blow off. Of course, "good aromas" will also
> blow off, so it's really a matter of experience in knowing how
> to catch the peak as the wine opens up.
>
> So I wouldn't quite generalize as you have above. Certainly, I usually
> do not decant unless I'm concerned about sediment in an older wine, and
> I do not open wines long before serving (unless I have direct experience
> with the same bottling). I'm really not too worried about losing
> aromas that "escape almost at once"... since, if present, they escape
> almost at once, you'll lose them by the time you've poured the wine :-).
>
> Dana

I drink mostly southern Italian, Sardinian, and Sicilian reds, as well
as good Dolcetto, Barbera, and Nebbiolo from Piedmont.

I open a bottle and keep it on the table with the cork replaced. I
don't breathe the wines.
Michael Scarpitti

Dana Myers > wrote in message . com>...
> Michael Scarpitti wrote:
> > The idea of leaving an fine bottle of wine open to allow all the
> > aromas to escape is sheer stupidity. The most delicate aromas are the
> > most volatile. They escape almost at once. After uncorking, I replace
> > the cork.

> Of course, there are some aromas which are not pleasant which escape
> as well. Certainly, as one gains experience with older wines, one finds
> that they often come out of the bottle with a little bit of funk that
> takes a few minutes to blow off. Of course, "good aromas" will also
> blow off, so it's really a matter of experience in knowing how
> to catch the peak as the wine opens up.
>
> So I wouldn't quite generalize as you have above. Certainly, I usually
> do not decant unless I'm concerned about sediment in an older wine, and
> I do not open wines long before serving (unless I have direct experience
> with the same bottling). I'm really not too worried about losing
> aromas that "escape almost at once"... since, if present, they escape
> almost at once, you'll lose them by the time you've poured the wine :-).
>
> Dana

I drink mostly southern Italian, Sardinian, and Sicilian reds, as well
as good Dolcetto, Barbera, and Nebbiolo from Piedmont.

I open a bottle and keep it on the table with the cork replaced. I
don't breathe the wines.
Michael Scarpitti

Dana Myers > wrote in message . com>...
> Michael Scarpitti wrote:
> > The idea of leaving an fine bottle of wine open to allow all the
> > aromas to escape is sheer stupidity. The most delicate aromas are the
> > most volatile. They escape almost at once. After uncorking, I replace
> > the cork.

> Of course, there are some aromas which are not pleasant which escape
> as well. Certainly, as one gains experience with older wines, one finds
> that they often come out of the bottle with a little bit of funk that
> takes a few minutes to blow off. Of course, "good aromas" will also
> blow off, so it's really a matter of experience in knowing how
> to catch the peak as the wine opens up.
>
> So I wouldn't quite generalize as you have above. Certainly, I usually
> do not decant unless I'm concerned about sediment in an older wine, and
> I do not open wines long before serving (unless I have direct experience
> with the same bottling). I'm really not too worried about losing
> aromas that "escape almost at once"... since, if present, they escape
> almost at once, you'll lose them by the time you've poured the wine :-).
>
> Dana

I drink mostly southern Italian, Sardinian, and Sicilian reds, as well
as good Dolcetto, Barbera, and Nebbiolo from Piedmont.

I open a bottle and keep it on the table with the cork replaced. I
don't breathe the wines.
Dana Myers

Michael Scarpitti wrote:
> Dana Myers > wrote in message . com>...
>
>>Michael Scarpitti wrote:
>>
>>>The idea of leaving an fine bottle of wine open to allow all the
>>>aromas to escape is sheer stupidity. The most delicate aromas are the
>>>most volatile. They escape almost at once. After uncorking, I replace
>>>the cork.

>>Of course, there are some aromas which are not pleasant which escape
>>as well. Certainly, as one gains experience with older wines, one finds
>>that they often come out of the bottle with a little bit of funk that
>>takes a few minutes to blow off. Of course, "good aromas" will also
>>blow off, so it's really a matter of experience in knowing how
>>to catch the peak as the wine opens up.
>>
>>So I wouldn't quite generalize as you have above. Certainly, I usually
>>do not decant unless I'm concerned about sediment in an older wine, and
>>I do not open wines long before serving (unless I have direct experience
>>with the same bottling). I'm really not too worried about losing
>>aromas that "escape almost at once"... since, if present, they escape
>>almost at once, you'll lose them by the time you've poured the wine :-).
>>
>>Dana

> I drink mostly southern Italian, Sardinian, and Sicilian reds, as well
> as good Dolcetto, Barbera, and Nebbiolo from Piedmont.
>
> I open a bottle and keep it on the table with the cork replaced. I
> don't breathe the wines.

How long do you keep the bottle on the table, partial empty and
recorked?

In my own experience, there's little or no difference between
recorking between pours and not recorking between pours over
the course of even a couple of hours. In fact, I've tried
this once or twice out of curiousity, pulling the cork on a
bottle and letting it sit, full, doesn't have significant
impact, either. There's just not a lot of wine expose to
air in the neck of the bottle.

Dana

Dana Myers

Michael Scarpitti wrote:
> Dana Myers > wrote in message . com>...
>
>>Michael Scarpitti wrote:
>>
>>>The idea of leaving an fine bottle of wine open to allow all the
>>>aromas to escape is sheer stupidity. The most delicate aromas are the
>>>most volatile. They escape almost at once. After uncorking, I replace
>>>the cork.

>>Of course, there are some aromas which are not pleasant which escape
>>as well. Certainly, as one gains experience with older wines, one finds
>>that they often come out of the bottle with a little bit of funk that
>>takes a few minutes to blow off. Of course, "good aromas" will also
>>blow off, so it's really a matter of experience in knowing how
>>to catch the peak as the wine opens up.
>>
>>So I wouldn't quite generalize as you have above. Certainly, I usually
>>do not decant unless I'm concerned about sediment in an older wine, and
>>I do not open wines long before serving (unless I have direct experience
>>with the same bottling). I'm really not too worried about losing
>>aromas that "escape almost at once"... since, if present, they escape
>>almost at once, you'll lose them by the time you've poured the wine :-).
>>
>>Dana

> I drink mostly southern Italian, Sardinian, and Sicilian reds, as well
> as good Dolcetto, Barbera, and Nebbiolo from Piedmont.
>
> I open a bottle and keep it on the table with the cork replaced. I
> don't breathe the wines.

How long do you keep the bottle on the table, partial empty and
recorked?

In my own experience, there's little or no difference between
recorking between pours and not recorking between pours over
the course of even a couple of hours. In fact, I've tried
this once or twice out of curiousity, pulling the cork on a
bottle and letting it sit, full, doesn't have significant
impact, either. There's just not a lot of wine expose to
air in the neck of the bottle.

Dana
Mark Lipton

Michael Scarpitti wrote:

> > The experience of many people here does not support your assertion. Young
> > wines, such as Red Bordeaux under ten years, reveal very little of their
> > bouquet unless they are allowed to breathe for an hour or more, preferably by
> > decanting.

> I found this:
>
> http://www.wineloverspage.com/winead...wa010709.shtml

Which is a whole different kettle of fish than the categorical denunciation you issued at the
start of this thread. And even this modified statement I only partially agree with. Contrary to
their assertion that aged wines don't benefit from airing, I can recall dozens of completely
mature wines that, open initial opening, had virtually *no* flavor, but with 5-10 minutes of
airing came alive and opened up to reveal a wealth of flavors. One of the maddening things about
wine, however, is that there is no general rule: some aged wines will suffer upon aeration, others
show no change and some benefit. The only way to know for sure is to conduct the test for
yourself: open the bottle and taste; pour out a small portion, aerate and compare; proceed
according to your conclusions.

Your initial post also presupposes that all the flavor/bouquet elements are present in their final
form in the wine before opening. That is rarely the case, however. Many of the "tertiary" aromas
of wine are the result of oxidation processes that take place upon exposure of the wine to air.
The same thing is true of the aroma of freshly brewed coffee: the most prominent component of its
smell is produced by oxidation in the brewed coffee (remarkably, as the odorant is a thiol), which
is why coffee tastes best when brewed with cold water (rich in dissolved oxygen) that is brought
just short of its boiling point (so that the water is not degassed).

Mark Lipton

Mark Lipton

Michael Scarpitti wrote:

> > The experience of many people here does not support your assertion. Young
> > wines, such as Red Bordeaux under ten years, reveal very little of their
> > bouquet unless they are allowed to breathe for an hour or more, preferably by
> > decanting.

> I found this:
>
> http://www.wineloverspage.com/winead...wa010709.shtml

Which is a whole different kettle of fish than the categorical denunciation you issued at the
start of this thread. And even this modified statement I only partially agree with. Contrary to
their assertion that aged wines don't benefit from airing, I can recall dozens of completely
mature wines that, open initial opening, had virtually *no* flavor, but with 5-10 minutes of
airing came alive and opened up to reveal a wealth of flavors. One of the maddening things about
wine, however, is that there is no general rule: some aged wines will suffer upon aeration, others
show no change and some benefit. The only way to know for sure is to conduct the test for
yourself: open the bottle and taste; pour out a small portion, aerate and compare; proceed
according to your conclusions.

Your initial post also presupposes that all the flavor/bouquet elements are present in their final
form in the wine before opening. That is rarely the case, however. Many of the "tertiary" aromas
of wine are the result of oxidation processes that take place upon exposure of the wine to air.
The same thing is true of the aroma of freshly brewed coffee: the most prominent component of its
smell is produced by oxidation in the brewed coffee (remarkably, as the odorant is a thiol), which
is why coffee tastes best when brewed with cold water (rich in dissolved oxygen) that is brought
just short of its boiling point (so that the water is not degassed).

Mark Lipton

Michael Scarpitti

Dana Myers > wrote in message . com>...
> Michael Scarpitti wrote:
> > Dana Myers > wrote in message . com>...

> >>Of course, there are some aromas which are not pleasant which escape
> >>as well. Certainly, as one gains experience with older wines, one finds
> >>that they often come out of the bottle with a little bit of funk that
> >>takes a few minutes to blow off. Of course, "good aromas" will also
> >>blow off, so it's really a matter of experience in knowing how
> >>to catch the peak as the wine opens up.
> >>
> >>So I wouldn't quite generalize as you have above. Certainly, I usually
> >>do not decant unless I'm concerned about sediment in an older wine, and
> >>I do not open wines long before serving (unless I have direct experience
> >>with the same bottling). I'm really not too worried about losing
> >>aromas that "escape almost at once"... since, if present, they escape
> >>almost at once, you'll lose them by the time you've poured the wine :-).
> >>
> >>Dana

> > I drink mostly southern Italian, Sardinian, and Sicilian reds, as well
> > as good Dolcetto, Barbera, and Nebbiolo from Piedmont.
> >
> > I open a bottle and keep it on the table with the cork replaced. I
> > don't breathe the wines.

> How long do you keep the bottle on the table, partial empty and
> recorked?
>
> In my own experience, there's little or no difference between
> recorking between pours and not recorking between pours over
> the course of even a couple of hours. In fact, I've tried
> this once or twice out of curiousity, pulling the cork on a
> bottle and letting it sit, full, doesn't have significant
> impact, either. There's just not a lot of wine expose to
> air in the neck of the bottle.
>
> Dana

A friend and I have big Italian dinners with 8-12 people several times
per year. We go through 6 or 7 bottles per dinner. The wine disappears
rapidly.
Michael Scarpitti

Dana Myers > wrote in message . com>...
> Michael Scarpitti wrote:
> > Dana Myers > wrote in message . com>...

> >>Of course, there are some aromas which are not pleasant which escape
> >>as well. Certainly, as one gains experience with older wines, one finds
> >>that they often come out of the bottle with a little bit of funk that
> >>takes a few minutes to blow off. Of course, "good aromas" will also
> >>blow off, so it's really a matter of experience in knowing how
> >>to catch the peak as the wine opens up.
> >>
> >>So I wouldn't quite generalize as you have above. Certainly, I usually
> >>do not decant unless I'm concerned about sediment in an older wine, and
> >>I do not open wines long before serving (unless I have direct experience
> >>with the same bottling). I'm really not too worried about losing
> >>aromas that "escape almost at once"... since, if present, they escape
> >>almost at once, you'll lose them by the time you've poured the wine :-).
> >>
> >>Dana

> > I drink mostly southern Italian, Sardinian, and Sicilian reds, as well
> > as good Dolcetto, Barbera, and Nebbiolo from Piedmont.
> >
> > I open a bottle and keep it on the table with the cork replaced. I
> > don't breathe the wines.

> How long do you keep the bottle on the table, partial empty and
> recorked?
>
> In my own experience, there's little or no difference between
> recorking between pours and not recorking between pours over
> the course of even a couple of hours. In fact, I've tried
> this once or twice out of curiousity, pulling the cork on a
> bottle and letting it sit, full, doesn't have significant
> impact, either. There's just not a lot of wine expose to
> air in the neck of the bottle.
>
> Dana

A friend and I have big Italian dinners with 8-12 people several times
per year. We go through 6 or 7 bottles per dinner. The wine disappears
rapidly.
Xyzsch

>I drink mostly southern Italian, Sardinian, and Sicilian reds, as well
>as good Dolcetto, Barbera, and Nebbiolo from Piedmont.
>
>I open a bottle and keep it on the table with the cork replaced. I
>don't breathe the wines.

Mike

Most of these, with the exception of the bigger Nebbiolo (eg Barolo,
Barbaresco) do not benefit from long ageing, so you strategy is fine.

Keep in mind that pouring off half the bottle, as you drink the wine, will
expose the rest of the bottle to a significant amount of air (in the upper part
of the bottle) Thus, replacing the cork accomplishes little. But if you drink
these wines up quickly at big parties, most of the aeration probably occurs in
the glass as you drink it, and little in the bottle.

Tom Schellberg

Xyzsch

>I drink mostly southern Italian, Sardinian, and Sicilian reds, as well
>as good Dolcetto, Barbera, and Nebbiolo from Piedmont.
>
>I open a bottle and keep it on the table with the cork replaced. I
>don't breathe the wines.

Mike

Most of these, with the exception of the bigger Nebbiolo (eg Barolo,
Barbaresco) do not benefit from long ageing, so you strategy is fine.

Keep in mind that pouring off half the bottle, as you drink the wine, will
expose the rest of the bottle to a significant amount of air (in the upper part
of the bottle) Thus, replacing the cork accomplishes little. But if you drink
these wines up quickly at big parties, most of the aeration probably occurs in
the glass as you drink it, and little in the bottle.

Tom Schellberg

Xyzsch

>I drink mostly southern Italian, Sardinian, and Sicilian reds, as well
>as good Dolcetto, Barbera, and Nebbiolo from Piedmont.
>
>I open a bottle and keep it on the table with the cork replaced. I
>don't breathe the wines.

Mike

Most of these, with the exception of the bigger Nebbiolo (eg Barolo,
Barbaresco) do not benefit from long ageing, so you strategy is fine.

Keep in mind that pouring off half the bottle, as you drink the wine, will
expose the rest of the bottle to a significant amount of air (in the upper part
of the bottle) Thus, replacing the cork accomplishes little. But if you drink
these wines up quickly at big parties, most of the aeration probably occurs in
the glass as you drink it, and little in the bottle.

Tom Schellberg

Dana Myers

Michael Scarpitti wrote:

> What I think actually happens is that as we eat the food and drink the
> wine, the wine seems to taste better as the meal progresses. It has
> nothing to do with the aeration of the wine, but with our tongues.

Certainly food has an impact on how a wine is perceived, but,
sometime for fun, try drinking a wine slowly over a period of
15-30 minutes without eating food at the same time. It would
be exceptional if you didn't notice a change in the wine itself.

Dana
Dana Myers

Michael Scarpitti wrote:

> What I think actually happens is that as we eat the food and drink the
> wine, the wine seems to taste better as the meal progresses. It has
> nothing to do with the aeration of the wine, but with our tongues.

Certainly food has an impact on how a wine is perceived, but,
sometime for fun, try drinking a wine slowly over a period of
15-30 minutes without eating food at the same time. It would
be exceptional if you didn't notice a change in the wine itself.

Dana
Michael Scarpitti

Dana Myers > wrote in message . com>...
> Michael Scarpitti wrote:
>
> > What I think actually happens is that as we eat the food and drink the
> > wine, the wine seems to taste better as the meal progresses. It has
> > nothing to do with the aeration of the wine, but with our tongues.

> Certainly food has an impact on how a wine is perceived, but,
> sometime for fun, try drinking a wine slowly over a period of
> 15-30 minutes without eating food at the same time. It would
> be exceptional if you didn't notice a change in the wine itself.
>
> Dana

That's because the alcohol cleans off your tongue.

Michael Scarpitti

Dana Myers > wrote in message . com>...
> Michael Scarpitti wrote:
>
> > What I think actually happens is that as we eat the food and drink the
> > wine, the wine seems to taste better as the meal progresses. It has
> > nothing to do with the aeration of the wine, but with our tongues.

> Certainly food has an impact on how a wine is perceived, but,
> sometime for fun, try drinking a wine slowly over a period of
> 15-30 minutes without eating food at the same time. It would
> be exceptional if you didn't notice a change in the wine itself.
>
> Dana

That's because the alcohol cleans off your tongue.
Dana Myers

Michael Scarpitti wrote:

> Dana Myers > wrote in message . com>...
>
>>Michael Scarpitti wrote:
>>

>>>What I think actually happens is that as we eat the food and drink the
>>>wine, the wine seems to taste better as the meal progresses. It has
>>>nothing to do with the aeration of the wine, but with our tongues.

>>Certainly food has an impact on how a wine is perceived, but,
>>sometime for fun, try drinking a wine slowly over a period of
>>15-30 minutes without eating food at the same time. It would
>>be exceptional if you didn't notice a change in the wine itself.
>>
>>Dana

> That's because the alcohol cleans off your tongue.

.... and I suppose it does something to your nose to
dramatically the aroma of the wine over that time, too?

No sale. It's a well-documented scientific process
by which wine is influenced by exposure to air.

Dana

Dana Myers

Michael Scarpitti wrote:

> Dana Myers > wrote in message . com>...
>
>>Michael Scarpitti wrote:
>>

>>>What I think actually happens is that as we eat the food and drink the
>>>wine, the wine seems to taste better as the meal progresses. It has
>>>nothing to do with the aeration of the wine, but with our tongues.

>>Certainly food has an impact on how a wine is perceived, but,
>>sometime for fun, try drinking a wine slowly over a period of
>>15-30 minutes without eating food at the same time. It would
>>be exceptional if you didn't notice a change in the wine itself.
>>
>>Dana

> That's because the alcohol cleans off your tongue.

.... and I suppose it does something to your nose to
dramatically the aroma of the wine over that time, too?

No sale. It's a well-documented scientific process
by which wine is influenced by exposure to air.

Dana

Dana Myers

Michael Scarpitti wrote:

> Dana Myers > wrote in message . com>...
>
>>Michael Scarpitti wrote:
>>

>>>What I think actually happens is that as we eat the food and drink the
>>>wine, the wine seems to taste better as the meal progresses. It has
>>>nothing to do with the aeration of the wine, but with our tongues.

>>Certainly food has an impact on how a wine is perceived, but,
>>sometime for fun, try drinking a wine slowly over a period of
>>15-30 minutes without eating food at the same time. It would
>>be exceptional if you didn't notice a change in the wine itself.
>>
>>Dana

> That's because the alcohol cleans off your tongue.

.... and I suppose it does something to your nose to
dramatically the aroma of the wine over that time, too?

No sale. It's a well-documented scientific process
by which wine is influenced by exposure to air.

Dana

Tom S

"Michael Scarpitti" > wrote in message
om...
> What I think actually happens is that as we eat the food and drink the
> wine, the wine seems to taste better as the meal progresses. It has
> nothing to do with the aeration of the wine, but with our tongues.

I've argued a similar point with Ian. I contend that each taste of the wine
(especially reds) preconditions the palate to some degree for the _next_
taste. Food doesn't really enter into the process in any helpful way; in
fact, some foods can actually _diminish_ the appreciation of wine.

I realize that this is a contentious issue, complicated somewhat by the fact
that wines often do improve with aeration - particularly young red wines.
Still. I don't think it's easy - and may be impossible - to separate the
aeration and palate conditioning effects from each other.

Tom S

Pretty soon, breathing is going to cause cancer PeterLucas[_16_] General Cooking 2 26-02-2009 08:08 PM
Breathing Italian Wine Ron Lel Wine 27 28-02-2005 01:09 AM
Breathing Italian Wine Ron Lel Wine 0 17-01-2005 11:01 AM
Breathing better the herbal way barwha Preserving 3 04-05-2004 04:59 PM
Found wine and Breathing Tom S Wine 0 02-02-2004 12:25 AM