Tom S

"Michael Scarpitti" > wrote in message
om...
> What I think actually happens is that as we eat the food and drink the
> wine, the wine seems to taste better as the meal progresses. It has
> nothing to do with the aeration of the wine, but with our tongues.

I've argued a similar point with Ian. I contend that each taste of the wine
(especially reds) preconditions the palate to some degree for the _next_
taste. Food doesn't really enter into the process in any helpful way; in
fact, some foods can actually _diminish_ the appreciation of wine.

I realize that this is a contentious issue, complicated somewhat by the fact
that wines often do improve with aeration - particularly young red wines.
Still. I don't think it's easy - and may be impossible - to separate the
aeration and palate conditioning effects from each other.

Tom S

Ian Hoare

Salut/Hi Michael Scarpitti,

le/on 6 Sep 2004 18:56:36 -0700, tu disais/you said:-

Dana said
>> try drinking a wine slowly over a period of
>> 15-30 minutes without eating food at the same time. It would
>> be exceptional if you didn't notice a change in the wine itself.

>That's because the alcohol cleans off your tongue.

Rubbish.

The whole world is out of step except you. You deny the validity of all
theose who have politely suggested that you might be mistaken and you come
up with nonsense statements.

In case you didn't know, the tongue has nothing to do with the subtleties of
wine tasting. All you can _taste_ as opposed to smell, is salt, sweet, acid
and bitter. Or will you now say that alcohol cleans off the smell cells at
the back of the nose? Not to me.

You've just joined my twit filter.

--
All the Best
Ian Hoare
Ian Hoare

Salut/Hi Michael Scarpitti,

le/on 6 Sep 2004 18:56:36 -0700, tu disais/you said:-

Dana said
>> try drinking a wine slowly over a period of
>> 15-30 minutes without eating food at the same time. It would
>> be exceptional if you didn't notice a change in the wine itself.

>That's because the alcohol cleans off your tongue.

Rubbish.

The whole world is out of step except you. You deny the validity of all
theose who have politely suggested that you might be mistaken and you come
up with nonsense statements.

In case you didn't know, the tongue has nothing to do with the subtleties of
wine tasting. All you can _taste_ as opposed to smell, is salt, sweet, acid
and bitter. Or will you now say that alcohol cleans off the smell cells at
the back of the nose? Not to me.

You've just joined my twit filter.

--
All the Best
Ian Hoare
http://www.souvigne.com
Michael Scarpitti

Dana Myers > wrote in message . com>...
> Michael Scarpitti wrote:
>
> > Dana Myers > wrote in message . com>...

> >>Certainly food has an impact on how a wine is perceived, but,
> >>sometime for fun, try drinking a wine slowly over a period of
> >>15-30 minutes without eating food at the same time. It would
> >>be exceptional if you didn't notice a change in the wine itself.
> >>
> >>Dana

> > That's because the alcohol cleans off your tongue.

> ... and I suppose it does something to your nose to
> dramatically the aroma of the wine over that time, too?
>
> No sale. It's a well-documented scientific process
> by which wine is influenced by exposure to air.
>
> Dana

Stuff 'n' nonsense. How do you explain that the SECOND bottle (of the
same wine) tastes better than the beginning of the first bottle, when
the second has NOT been opened until just before it is served?
Michael Scarpitti

Dana Myers > wrote in message . com>...
> Michael Scarpitti wrote:
>
> > Dana Myers > wrote in message . com>...

> >>Certainly food has an impact on how a wine is perceived, but,
> >>sometime for fun, try drinking a wine slowly over a period of
> >>15-30 minutes without eating food at the same time. It would
> >>be exceptional if you didn't notice a change in the wine itself.
> >>
> >>Dana

> > That's because the alcohol cleans off your tongue.

> ... and I suppose it does something to your nose to
> dramatically the aroma of the wine over that time, too?
>
> No sale. It's a well-documented scientific process
> by which wine is influenced by exposure to air.
>
> Dana

Stuff 'n' nonsense. How do you explain that the SECOND bottle (of the
same wine) tastes better than the beginning of the first bottle, when
the second has NOT been opened until just before it is served?

Michael Scarpitti

Dana Myers > wrote in message . com>...
> Michael Scarpitti wrote:
>
> > Dana Myers > wrote in message . com>...

> >>Certainly food has an impact on how a wine is perceived, but,
> >>sometime for fun, try drinking a wine slowly over a period of
> >>15-30 minutes without eating food at the same time. It would
> >>be exceptional if you didn't notice a change in the wine itself.
> >>
> >>Dana

> > That's because the alcohol cleans off your tongue.

> ... and I suppose it does something to your nose to
> dramatically the aroma of the wine over that time, too?
>
> No sale. It's a well-documented scientific process
> by which wine is influenced by exposure to air.
>
> Dana

Stuff 'n' nonsense. How do you explain that the SECOND bottle (of the
same wine) tastes better than the beginning of the first bottle, when
the second has NOT been opened until just before it is served?
Michael Scarpitti

"Tom S" > wrote in message .com>...
> "Michael Scarpitti" > wrote in message
> om...
> > What I think actually happens is that as we eat the food and drink the
> > wine, the wine seems to taste better as the meal progresses. It has
> > nothing to do with the aeration of the wine, but with our tongues.

> I've argued a similar point with Ian. I contend that each taste of the wine
> (especially reds) preconditions the palate to some degree for the _next_
> taste. Food doesn't really enter into the process in any helpful way; in
> fact, some foods can actually _diminish_ the appreciation of wine.
>
> I realize that this is a contentious issue, complicated somewhat by the fact
> that wines often do improve with aeration - particularly young red wines.
> Still. I don't think it's easy - and may be impossible - to separate the
> aeration and palate conditioning effects from each other.
>
> Tom S

The alcohol cleans the palate, and with the food and aroma, makes the
wine taste better. It has NOTHING to do with aeration.
Michael Scarpitti

"Tom S" > wrote in message .com>...
> "Michael Scarpitti" > wrote in message
> om...
> > What I think actually happens is that as we eat the food and drink the
> > wine, the wine seems to taste better as the meal progresses. It has
> > nothing to do with the aeration of the wine, but with our tongues.

> I've argued a similar point with Ian. I contend that each taste of the wine
> (especially reds) preconditions the palate to some degree for the _next_
> taste. Food doesn't really enter into the process in any helpful way; in
> fact, some foods can actually _diminish_ the appreciation of wine.
>
> I realize that this is a contentious issue, complicated somewhat by the fact
> that wines often do improve with aeration - particularly young red wines.
> Still. I don't think it's easy - and may be impossible - to separate the
> aeration and palate conditioning effects from each other.
>
> Tom S

The alcohol cleans the palate, and with the food and aroma, makes the
wine taste better. It has NOTHING to do with aeration.
Michael Scarpitti

"Tom S" > wrote in message .com>...
> "Michael Scarpitti" > wrote in message
> om...
> > What I think actually happens is that as we eat the food and drink the
> > wine, the wine seems to taste better as the meal progresses. It has
> > nothing to do with the aeration of the wine, but with our tongues.

> I've argued a similar point with Ian. I contend that each taste of the wine
> (especially reds) preconditions the palate to some degree for the _next_
> taste. Food doesn't really enter into the process in any helpful way; in
> fact, some foods can actually _diminish_ the appreciation of wine.
>
> I realize that this is a contentious issue, complicated somewhat by the fact
> that wines often do improve with aeration - particularly young red wines.
> Still. I don't think it's easy - and may be impossible - to separate the
> aeration and palate conditioning effects from each other.
>
> Tom S

The alcohol cleans the palate, and with the food and aroma, makes the
wine taste better. It has NOTHING to do with aeration.
Mark Lipton

Michael Scarpitti wrote:

> The alcohol cleans the palate, and with the food and aroma, makes the
> wine taste better. It has NOTHING to do with aeration.

Prove it. Show us a gas chromatograph trace that shows NO chemical
change in a wine upon exposure to air. In the absence of that, your
statement is nothing more than an unproved assertion.

Mark Lipton

Mark Lipton

Michael Scarpitti wrote:

> The alcohol cleans the palate, and with the food and aroma, makes the
> wine taste better. It has NOTHING to do with aeration.

Prove it. Show us a gas chromatograph trace that shows NO chemical
change in a wine upon exposure to air. In the absence of that, your
statement is nothing more than an unproved assertion.

Mark Lipton
RV WRLee

>Dana Myers > wrote in message
.com>...
>> Michael Scarpitti wrote:
>>
>> > Dana Myers > wrote in message

.com>...

>> > That's because the alcohol cleans off your tongue.

>> ... and I suppose it does something to your nose to
>> dramatically the aroma of the wine over that time, too?
>>
>> No sale. It's a well-documented scientific process
>> by which wine is influenced by exposure to air.
>>
>> Dana

>Stuff 'n' nonsense. How do you explain that the SECOND bottle (of the
>same wine) tastes better than the beginning of the first bottle, when
>the second has NOT been opened until just before it is served?

I'm not trying to be rude but how long have you been drinking wine? The second
bottle tastes "better" because your palate has been calibrated by the first
bottle. The fruit will appear to be sweeter and the tannins will be softer
because your mouth has been coated with the tannins, etc.
Bi!!
RV WRLee

>Dana Myers > wrote in message
.com>...
>> Michael Scarpitti wrote:
>>
>> > Dana Myers > wrote in message

.com>...

>> > That's because the alcohol cleans off your tongue.

>> ... and I suppose it does something to your nose to
>> dramatically the aroma of the wine over that time, too?
>>
>> No sale. It's a well-documented scientific process
>> by which wine is influenced by exposure to air.
>>
>> Dana

>Stuff 'n' nonsense. How do you explain that the SECOND bottle (of the
>same wine) tastes better than the beginning of the first bottle, when
>the second has NOT been opened until just before it is served?

I'm not trying to be rude but how long have you been drinking wine? The second
bottle tastes "better" because your palate has been calibrated by the first
bottle. The fruit will appear to be sweeter and the tannins will be softer
because your mouth has been coated with the tannins, etc.
Bi!!
Anders Tørneskog

"Mark Lipton" > skrev i melding
> Michael Scarpitti wrote:
>
> > The alcohol cleans the palate, and with the food and aroma, makes the
> > wine taste better. It has NOTHING to do with aeration.

> Prove it. Show us a gas chromatograph trace that shows NO chemical
> change in a wine upon exposure to air. In the absence of that, your
> statement is nothing more than an unproved assertion.
>
> Mark Lipton

Hi all
There was a guy calling himself Vega something sometime ago sounding much
like Mr. Scarpitti of today... Anybody care to check out these posters to
see whether they are the same guy?
Anders

Anders Tørneskog

"Mark Lipton" > skrev i melding
> Michael Scarpitti wrote:
>
> > The alcohol cleans the palate, and with the food and aroma, makes the
> > wine taste better. It has NOTHING to do with aeration.

> Prove it. Show us a gas chromatograph trace that shows NO chemical
> change in a wine upon exposure to air. In the absence of that, your
> statement is nothing more than an unproved assertion.
>
> Mark Lipton

Hi all
There was a guy calling himself Vega something sometime ago sounding much
like Mr. Scarpitti of today... Anybody care to check out these posters to
see whether they are the same guy?
Anders

Dale Williams

I've been drinking wine for 24 years, and been fairly serious about it for 12.
I'm part of several regular tasting groups, and it's usually not particularly
hard to spot which wines were opened and decanted in advance, and which are
just opened. No serious taster I know claims that wine doesn't change with
aeration. None.

Dale

Dale Williams
Drop "damnspam" to reply

Vino

On Thu, 02 Sep 2004 20:50:59 GMT, Dana Myers >
wrote:

>[T]here are some aromas which are not pleasant which escape
>as well. Certainly, as one gains experience with older wines, one finds
>that they often come out of the bottle with a little bit of funk that
>takes a few minutes to blow off.

This topic came up many threads back and, IIRC, was never settled to
my complete satisfaction. It's possible that it may never be, but I
thought I'd use this opportunity to throw it out again for discussion.
With apparently one lone exception, everyone here agrees that *in
general* SOME red wines improve following *some* exposure to air. The
reasons for such improvement (when it occurs) can be (and are) debated
endlessly. Most of the reasons I have heard relate to beneficial
changes that occur to the wine itself. I have often wondered how much,
if any, of the improvement comes from the escape of undesirable
compounds that were either bottled with the wine or formed after
bottling. I'm not necessarily talking about the usual suspects such as
SO2, mercaptans, etc. There may even be compounds that have little or
no odor themselves but somehow degrade the wine. I readily admit to
profound ignorance here, but I can't help but wonder.

Vino
To reply, add "x" between
letters and numbers of
e-mail address.
Vino

wrote:

>[T]here are some aromas which are not pleasant which escape
>as well. Certainly, as one gains experience with older wines, one finds
>that they often come out of the bottle with a little bit of funk that
>takes a few minutes to blow off.

This topic came up many threads back and, IIRC, was never settled to
my complete satisfaction. It's possible that it may never be, but I
thought I'd use this opportunity to throw it out again for discussion.
With apparently one lone exception, everyone here agrees that *in
general* SOME red wines improve following *some* exposure to air. The
reasons for such improvement (when it occurs) can be (and are) debated
endlessly. Most of the reasons I have heard relate to beneficial
changes that occur to the wine itself. I have often wondered how much,
if any, of the improvement comes from the escape of undesirable
compounds that were either bottled with the wine or formed after
bottling. I'm not necessarily talking about the usual suspects such as
SO2, mercaptans, etc. There may even be compounds that have little or
no odor themselves but somehow degrade the wine. I readily admit to
profound ignorance here, but I can't help but wonder.

Vino
To reply, add "x" between
letters and numbers of
e-mail address.

Mark Lipton

Vino wrote:
> On Thu, 02 Sep 2004 20:50:59 GMT, Dana Myers >
> wrote:
>

>>[T]here are some aromas which are not pleasant which escape
>>as well. Certainly, as one gains experience with older wines, one finds
>>that they often come out of the bottle with a little bit of funk that
>>takes a few minutes to blow off.

> This topic came up many threads back and, IIRC, was never settled to
> my complete satisfaction. It's possible that it may never be, but I
> thought I'd use this opportunity to throw it out again for discussion.
> With apparently one lone exception, everyone here agrees that *in
> general* SOME red wines improve following *some* exposure to air. The
> reasons for such improvement (when it occurs) can be (and are) debated
> endlessly. Most of the reasons I have heard relate to beneficial
> changes that occur to the wine itself. I have often wondered how much,
> if any, of the improvement comes from the escape of undesirable
> compounds that were either bottled with the wine or formed after
> bottling. I'm not necessarily talking about the usual suspects such as
> SO2, mercaptans, etc. There may even be compounds that have little or
> no odor themselves but somehow degrade the wine. I readily admit to
> profound ignorance here, but I can't help but wonder.

It's not unusual for some stink to "blow off" after opening. Often,
it's mercaptans or volatile acidity. I've noticed this the most in
older reds and heavily sulfured whites.

Mark Lipton
Mark Lipton

Vino wrote:
> On Thu, 02 Sep 2004 20:50:59 GMT, Dana Myers >
> wrote:
>

>>[T]here are some aromas which are not pleasant which escape
>>as well. Certainly, as one gains experience with older wines, one finds
>>that they often come out of the bottle with a little bit of funk that
>>takes a few minutes to blow off.

> This topic came up many threads back and, IIRC, was never settled to
> my complete satisfaction. It's possible that it may never be, but I
> thought I'd use this opportunity to throw it out again for discussion.
> With apparently one lone exception, everyone here agrees that *in
> general* SOME red wines improve following *some* exposure to air. The
> reasons for such improvement (when it occurs) can be (and are) debated
> endlessly. Most of the reasons I have heard relate to beneficial
> changes that occur to the wine itself. I have often wondered how much,
> if any, of the improvement comes from the escape of undesirable
> compounds that were either bottled with the wine or formed after
> bottling. I'm not necessarily talking about the usual suspects such as
> SO2, mercaptans, etc. There may even be compounds that have little or
> no odor themselves but somehow degrade the wine. I readily admit to
> profound ignorance here, but I can't help but wonder.

It's not unusual for some stink to "blow off" after opening. Often,
it's mercaptans or volatile acidity. I've noticed this the most in
older reds and heavily sulfured whites.

Mark Lipton
Hunt

In article >, dwmidnt@aol.
comdamnspam says...

>I've been drinking wine for 24 years, and been fairly serious about it for

12.
>I'm part of several regular tasting groups, and it's usually not particularly
>hard to spot which wines were opened and decanted in advance, and which are
>just opened. No serious taster I know claims that wine doesn't change with
>aeration. None.
>

>Dale
>
>Dale Williams

Along that same note, Dale, I usually will smell and taste, the wine, unless I
am the host and have to pass/fail on the bottle, after the pour, even when not
decanted. Then, after just a swirl, or two, will repeat both aspects of my
ritual. With just the aeration of the swirling, both the nose, and the taste
usually change to a noticable degree.

Hunt

Hunt

In article >, dwmidnt@aol.
comdamnspam says...

>I've been drinking wine for 24 years, and been fairly serious about it for

12.
>I'm part of several regular tasting groups, and it's usually not particularly
>hard to spot which wines were opened and decanted in advance, and which are
>just opened. No serious taster I know claims that wine doesn't change with
>aeration. None.
>

>Dale
>
>Dale Williams

Along that same note, Dale, I usually will smell and taste, the wine, unless I
am the host and have to pass/fail on the bottle, after the pour, even when not
decanted. Then, after just a swirl, or two, will repeat both aspects of my
ritual. With just the aeration of the swirling, both the nose, and the taste
usually change to a noticable degree.

Hunt

Dana Myers

Michael Scarpitti wrote:
> Dana Myers > wrote in message . com>...
>
>>Michael Scarpitti wrote:

>>>That's because the alcohol cleans off your tongue.

>>... and I suppose it does something to your nose to
>>dramatically the aroma of the wine over that time, too?
>>
>>No sale. It's a well-documented scientific process
>>by which wine is influenced by exposure to air.

> Stuff 'n' nonsense. How do you explain that the SECOND bottle (of the
> same wine) tastes better than the beginning of the first bottle, when
> the second has NOT been opened until just before it is served?

It's a well-documented process by which wine is influenced by
exposure to air. That's not nonsense. We're not splitting
subjective hairs over Tmax vs. Tri-X here.

Of course, your perception of a wine may change as
you drink wine and eat food. So I don't know what's
going on exactly with your palate - but I can say factually
that wine *does* change upon exposure to air.

It's possible that the second bottle of the same wine
tastes better for non-chemical reasons, of course, in
fact, I'd even say that's probable.

Cheers,
Dana

Dana Myers

Michael Scarpitti wrote:
> Dana Myers > wrote in message . com>...
>
>>Michael Scarpitti wrote:

>>>That's because the alcohol cleans off your tongue.

>>... and I suppose it does something to your nose to
>>dramatically the aroma of the wine over that time, too?
>>
>>No sale. It's a well-documented scientific process
>>by which wine is influenced by exposure to air.

> Stuff 'n' nonsense. How do you explain that the SECOND bottle (of the
> same wine) tastes better than the beginning of the first bottle, when
> the second has NOT been opened until just before it is served?

It's a well-documented process by which wine is influenced by
exposure to air. That's not nonsense. We're not splitting
subjective hairs over Tmax vs. Tri-X here.

Of course, your perception of a wine may change as
you drink wine and eat food. So I don't know what's
going on exactly with your palate - but I can say factually
that wine *does* change upon exposure to air.

It's possible that the second bottle of the same wine
tastes better for non-chemical reasons, of course, in
fact, I'd even say that's probable.

Cheers,
Dana

Dana Myers

Michael Scarpitti wrote:
> Dana Myers > wrote in message . com>...
>
>>Michael Scarpitti wrote:

>>>That's because the alcohol cleans off your tongue.

>>... and I suppose it does something to your nose to
>>dramatically the aroma of the wine over that time, too?
>>
>>No sale. It's a well-documented scientific process
>>by which wine is influenced by exposure to air.

> Stuff 'n' nonsense. How do you explain that the SECOND bottle (of the
> same wine) tastes better than the beginning of the first bottle, when
> the second has NOT been opened until just before it is served?

It's a well-documented process by which wine is influenced by
exposure to air. That's not nonsense. We're not splitting
subjective hairs over Tmax vs. Tri-X here.

Of course, your perception of a wine may change as
you drink wine and eat food. So I don't know what's
going on exactly with your palate - but I can say factually
that wine *does* change upon exposure to air.

It's possible that the second bottle of the same wine
tastes better for non-chemical reasons, of course, in
fact, I'd even say that's probable.

Cheers,
Dana

Michael Scarpitti

(RV WRLee) wrote in message >...
> >Dana Myers > wrote in message
> .com>...

> . com>...

> >> ... and I suppose it does something to your nose to
> >> dramatically the aroma of the wine over that time, too?
> >>
> >> No sale. It's a well-documented scientific process
> >> by which wine is influenced by exposure to air.
> >>
> >> Dana

> >Stuff 'n' nonsense. How do you explain that the SECOND bottle (of the
> >same wine) tastes better than the beginning of the first bottle, when
> >the second has NOT been opened until just before it is served?
> >

> I'm not trying to be rude but how long have you been drinking wine?

35 years.

> The second
> bottle tastes "better" because your palate has been calibrated by the first
> bottle.

Of course!

> The fruit will appear to be sweeter and the tannins will be softer
> because your mouth has been coated with the tannins, etc.
> Bi!!

Yes, precisely! Those who claim a second bottle tastes better because
it was opened longer are refuted by my experience that a newly-opened
second bottle of the same wine ALWAYS tastes better than the beginning
of the first bottle of the same wine.

My claim is that if you open two bottles of the same wine at the same
time and begin drinking the second after at least an hour, the second
will taste better than the first one did when it was first opened. If
you open the second bottle after at least an hour after the first, it
STILL will taste bertter than the beginning of the first bottle,
because of the happenings in your mouth caused by drinking the wine,
not by aeration.

In other words, aeration has nothing to do with it.

How do I know? I have had several bottles of the same wine many times,
and the second ALWAYS tastes batter than the first, no matter when it
is opened.
Michael Scarpitti

(RV WRLee) wrote in message >...
> >Dana Myers > wrote in message
> .com>...

> . com>...

> >> ... and I suppose it does something to your nose to
> >> dramatically the aroma of the wine over that time, too?
> >>
> >> No sale. It's a well-documented scientific process
> >> by which wine is influenced by exposure to air.
> >>
> >> Dana

> >Stuff 'n' nonsense. How do you explain that the SECOND bottle (of the
> >same wine) tastes better than the beginning of the first bottle, when
> >the second has NOT been opened until just before it is served?
> >

> I'm not trying to be rude but how long have you been drinking wine?

35 years.

> The second
> bottle tastes "better" because your palate has been calibrated by the first
> bottle.

Of course!

> The fruit will appear to be sweeter and the tannins will be softer
> because your mouth has been coated with the tannins, etc.
> Bi!!

Yes, precisely! Those who claim a second bottle tastes better because
it was opened longer are refuted by my experience that a newly-opened
second bottle of the same wine ALWAYS tastes better than the beginning
of the first bottle of the same wine.

My claim is that if you open two bottles of the same wine at the same
time and begin drinking the second after at least an hour, the second
will taste better than the first one did when it was first opened. If
you open the second bottle after at least an hour after the first, it
STILL will taste bertter than the beginning of the first bottle,
because of the happenings in your mouth caused by drinking the wine,
not by aeration.

In other words, aeration has nothing to do with it.

How do I know? I have had several bottles of the same wine many times,
and the second ALWAYS tastes batter than the first, no matter when it
is opened.
Dana Myers

Michael Scarpitti wrote:

> Yes, precisely! Those who claim a second bottle tastes better because
> it was opened longer are refuted by my experience that a newly-opened
> second bottle of the same wine ALWAYS tastes better than the beginning
> of the first bottle of the same wine.

Who claimed that the second bottle tastes better because
it was open longer?

> My claim is that if you open two bottles of the same wine at the same
> time and begin drinking the second after at least an hour, the second
> will taste better than the first one did when it was first opened. If
> you open the second bottle after at least an hour after the first, it
> STILL will taste bertter than the beginning of the first bottle,
> because of the happenings in your mouth caused by drinking the wine,
> not by aeration.

Sure. On this we agree. Happenings in your mouth, happenings
in your head, and happenings in the glass, they're all part of
the end result.

> In other words, aeration has nothing to do with it.

That's where we're missing world-peace. Aeration mostly
certainly influences a wine, and 22 years of wine appreciation
has taught me that a little exposure to air is often good,
too much exposure to is usually bad - independent of the other
effects you mention.

These effects are not exclusive.

> How do I know? I have had several bottles of the same wine many times,
> and the second ALWAYS tastes batter than the first, no matter when it
> is opened.

Sure. I've noticed that when I taste wine without expelling it,
all of the wines start tasting better as time goes on. ;-)

Dana
Dana Myers

Michael Scarpitti wrote:

> Yes, precisely! Those who claim a second bottle tastes better because
> it was opened longer are refuted by my experience that a newly-opened
> second bottle of the same wine ALWAYS tastes better than the beginning
> of the first bottle of the same wine.

Who claimed that the second bottle tastes better because
it was open longer?

> My claim is that if you open two bottles of the same wine at the same
> time and begin drinking the second after at least an hour, the second
> will taste better than the first one did when it was first opened. If
> you open the second bottle after at least an hour after the first, it
> STILL will taste bertter than the beginning of the first bottle,
> because of the happenings in your mouth caused by drinking the wine,
> not by aeration.

Sure. On this we agree. Happenings in your mouth, happenings
in your head, and happenings in the glass, they're all part of
the end result.

> In other words, aeration has nothing to do with it.

That's where we're missing world-peace. Aeration mostly
certainly influences a wine, and 22 years of wine appreciation
has taught me that a little exposure to air is often good,
too much exposure to is usually bad - independent of the other
effects you mention.

These effects are not exclusive.

> How do I know? I have had several bottles of the same wine many times,
> and the second ALWAYS tastes batter than the first, no matter when it
> is opened.

Sure. I've noticed that when I taste wine without expelling it,
all of the wines start tasting better as time goes on. ;-)

Dana
Mike Tommasi

On Tue, 07 Sep 2004 21:21:11 GMT, Vino > wrote:

>On Thu, 02 Sep 2004 20:50:59 GMT, Dana Myers >
>wrote:
>
>>[T]here are some aromas which are not pleasant which escape
>>as well. Certainly, as one gains experience with older wines, one finds
>>that they often come out of the bottle with a little bit of funk that
>>takes a few minutes to blow off.

>This topic came up many threads back and, IIRC, was never settled to
>my complete satisfaction. It's possible that it may never be, but I
>thought I'd use this opportunity to throw it out again for discussion.
>With apparently one lone exception, everyone here agrees that *in
>general* SOME red wines improve following *some* exposure to air.

I would say that all wine benefits from exposure to air, and young
reds particularly so.

I think that old wines also benefit, I have seen this with red and
white top Bordeaux from the 20's for example. These wines not only
improve, but change radically in the space of 2-3 hours, it is worth
tasting them every half hour to see what is happening.

Anyhow, I think MS is having fun poking at us.

Mike

Mike Tommasi, Six Fours, France
email link http://www.tommasi.org/mymail
Mike Tommasi

On Tue, 07 Sep 2004 21:21:11 GMT, Vino > wrote:

>On Thu, 02 Sep 2004 20:50:59 GMT, Dana Myers >
>wrote:
>
>>[T]here are some aromas which are not pleasant which escape
>>as well. Certainly, as one gains experience with older wines, one finds
>>that they often come out of the bottle with a little bit of funk that
>>takes a few minutes to blow off.

>This topic came up many threads back and, IIRC, was never settled to
>my complete satisfaction. It's possible that it may never be, but I
>thought I'd use this opportunity to throw it out again for discussion.
>With apparently one lone exception, everyone here agrees that *in
>general* SOME red wines improve following *some* exposure to air.

I would say that all wine benefits from exposure to air, and young
reds particularly so.

I think that old wines also benefit, I have seen this with red and
white top Bordeaux from the 20's for example. These wines not only
improve, but change radically in the space of 2-3 hours, it is worth
tasting them every half hour to see what is happening.

Anyhow, I think MS is having fun poking at us.

Mike

Mike Tommasi, Six Fours, France
email link http://www.tommasi.org/mymail

Pretty soon, breathing is going to cause cancer PeterLucas[_16_] General Cooking 2 26-02-2009 08:08 PM
Breathing Italian Wine Ron Lel Wine 27 28-02-2005 01:09 AM
Breathing Italian Wine Ron Lel Wine 0 17-01-2005 11:01 AM
Breathing better the herbal way barwha Preserving 3 04-05-2004 04:59 PM
Found wine and Breathing Tom S Wine 0 02-02-2004 12:25 AM