Richard Neidich

Hi Leo...

what am I looking for in this link provided.

Also...huge hurricane. I have been following closely since I have relatives
in Kendall, Weston, and Palm Beach...let alone my condo that likely got
damaged on Hutchenson Island just north of Stuart. Initial info in the news
tells me that my insurance company will be doing lots of repairs.

Dick

www.blindness.org. Better yet,
> please send a check!

Michael Pronay

"Sammy" > wrote:

> Airen, which can claim the most land under vine for white grape
> and all Vitis Vinifera, on the other hand never produces
> anything but dull wine. Well, I've never had one or even heard
> of one.

No wonder, since its single duty is to feed the Spanish brandy
industry.

M.
Michael Pronay

"Sammy" > wrote:

> Airen, which can claim the most land under vine for white grape
> and all Vitis Vinifera, on the other hand never produces
> anything but dull wine. Well, I've never had one or even heard
> of one.

No wonder, since its single duty is to feed the Spanish brandy
industry.

M.
Steve Slatcher

On Thu, 02 Sep 2004 11:28:13 GMT, Leo Bueno
> wrote:

>Because I value and appreciate all of you, I am definitely using your
>input to do some of the research for the class--and I am not ashamed
>to do so and to admit it.

Whilst I have no in-principle objection to what you are doing, I am
far from convinced that it is the most efficient way to prepare a
course - neither for you not us. Getting hold of a good book would be
an idea - or there are plenty of good resources on the Web.

Here, for example are some ready-made course notes:
http://www.wine-pages.com/course1.htm
You will need to check the copyright situation, of course.

Best wishes

--
Steve Slatcher
http://pobox.com/~steve.slatcher
Steve Slatcher

On Thu, 02 Sep 2004 11:28:13 GMT, Leo Bueno
> wrote:

>Because I value and appreciate all of you, I am definitely using your
>input to do some of the research for the class--and I am not ashamed
>to do so and to admit it.

Whilst I have no in-principle objection to what you are doing, I am
far from convinced that it is the most efficient way to prepare a
course - neither for you not us. Getting hold of a good book would be
an idea - or there are plenty of good resources on the Web.

Here, for example are some ready-made course notes:
http://www.wine-pages.com/course1.htm
You will need to check the copyright situation, of course.

Best wishes

--
Steve Slatcher
http://pobox.com/~steve.slatcher

Joe Rosenberg

Catching up with my mail........

1. Cabernet Sauvignon
2. Riesling
3. Syrah
4.Nebbiolo
5.Zinfandel
6. Pinot Noir(#1 or 2 if its inspired)
7.Chardonnay
8.Merlot
9.Sangiovese
10 Grenache
11 Chenin Blanc
12 Muscat

--
Joe "Beppe" Rosenberg
"Ian Hoare" > wrote in message
> Salut/Hi Vino,
>
> le/on Tue, 31 Aug 2004 00:00:27 GMT, tu disais/you said:-
>
> >On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 14:01:20 GMT, Leo Bueno
> > wrote:

> >>countries in a wide variety of climates. The primary species is Vitis
> >>vinifera and of the thousands of cultivars only around 30 are
> >>regularly cultivated and of these only a dozen or so are considered to
> >>be premium.

> Really? "are considered" begs several questions.
>
> 1 Why 12?
> 2 By whom?
> 3 on what criteria?
>

> >Personally, I find this whole exercise (and the related one on
> >regions) less than useless.

> Yup, I agree. And I'm increasingly getting the feeling that Leo is using

us
> to do all his research for his wine class. This is smelling increasingly
> like Mario Desiderio (not suggestying they're one and the same, by the

way)

> For me "premium" has quality implications, and any list which includes

Pinot
> Gris and not Pinot Noir has to belong to cloud cuckooland.
>
> For what it's worth, (and trying NOT to be either country or region

biased)
> and in no particular order, would you go along with this?
>
> 6 whites
>
> Riesling
> Chardonnay
> Sauvignon Blanc/Gris
> Sémillon or else Pinot Gris
> Chenin Blanc
> Gruner Veltliner
>
> 6 reds
>
> Pinot Noir,
> Cabernet Sauvignon
> Merlot
> Syrah/Shiraz
> Sangiovese
> Tempranilla
>
> which goes to show how ridiculous the exercise is, as it leaves out many
> very great wines worldwide. How can one leave out:-
>
> Tannat. Ch Montus Prestige (frequently highly placed against Bdx in
> competitions) and many good wines from Uruguay)
>
> Malbec - Wines from Cahors, component in Bdx, Argentina
>
> Zinfandel - probably the mst typical California grape
>
> Gewurztraminer, excellent in Alsace (especially for difficult foods) and
> elsewhere.
>
> Viognier, real class whites
>
> Furmint for what are amongst the worlds best sweet wines.
>
> Nope. Silly exercise.
>
> --
> All the Best
> Ian Hoare
> http://www.souvigne.com
> mailbox full to avoid spam. try me at website

Joe Rosenberg

"Ian Hoare" > wrote in message
> Salut/Hi Vino,
>
> le/on Tue, 31 Aug 2004 00:00:27 GMT, tu disais/you said:-
>
> >On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 14:01:20 GMT, Leo Bueno
> > wrote:

> >>countries in a wide variety of climates. The primary species is Vitis
> >>vinifera and of the thousands of cultivars only around 30 are
> >>regularly cultivated and of these only a dozen or so are considered to
> >>be premium.

> Really? "are considered" begs several questions.
>
> 1 Why 12?
> 2 By whom?
> 3 on what criteria?
>

> >Personally, I find this whole exercise (and the related one on
> >regions) less than useless.

> Yup, I agree. And I'm increasingly getting the feeling that Leo is using

us
> to do all his research for his wine class. This is smelling increasingly
> like Mario Desiderio (not suggestying they're one and the same, by the

way)

> For me "premium" has quality implications, and any list which includes

Pinot
> Gris and not Pinot Noir has to belong to cloud cuckooland.
>
> For what it's worth, (and trying NOT to be either country or region

biased)
> and in no particular order, would you go along with this?
>
> 6 whites
>
> Riesling
> Chardonnay
> Sauvignon Blanc/Gris
> Sémillon or else Pinot Gris
> Chenin Blanc
> Gruner Veltliner
>
> 6 reds
>
> Pinot Noir,
> Cabernet Sauvignon
> Merlot
> Syrah/Shiraz
> Sangiovese
> Tempranilla
>
> which goes to show how ridiculous the exercise is, as it leaves out many
> very great wines worldwide. How can one leave out:-
>
> Tannat. Ch Montus Prestige (frequently highly placed against Bdx in
> competitions) and many good wines from Uruguay)
>
> Malbec - Wines from Cahors, component in Bdx, Argentina
>
> Zinfandel - probably the mst typical California grape
>
> Gewurztraminer, excellent in Alsace (especially for difficult foods) and
> elsewhere.
>
> Viognier, real class whites
>
> Furmint for what are amongst the worlds best sweet wines.
>
> Nope. Silly exercise.
>
> --
> All the Best
> Ian Hoare
> http://www.souvigne.com
> mailbox full to avoid spam. try me at website

Uranium Committee

Leo Bueno > wrote in message >. ..
> http://www.fosters.com.au/wine/histo...ry_of_wine.asp
> Since these early times the humble vine can be found growing in most
> countries in a wide variety of climates. The primary species is Vitis
> vinifera and of the thousands of cultivars only around 30 are
> regularly cultivated and of these only a dozen or so are considered to
> be premium.
>
> Which are the 12 "premium" varieties?
>
> I suspect the list includes:
> 1. Chardonnay
> 2. Riesling
> 3. Sauvignon Blanc
> 4. Pinot Gris/Grigio
> 5. Cabernet Sauvignon
> 6. Merlot
> 7. Syrah/Shiraz
> 8. Sangiovese

I'm not sure grape 'varieties' are the best way to think of wine.
Great winemakers can make great wine from almost any grape variety, if
that grape is cared for properly. Witness Valentini's Terebbiano di
Abruzzo and Montepulciano di Abruzzo, or Giacomo Bologna's Barberas.

....and of course, the much-neglected Grignolino, which can be superb
in the hands of those who know how to handle this grape.

Too, some grapes do not travel well, and do not reach the heights in
other lands that they do at home.

That said, my favorite varieties (favorite producers/examples) a

Dolcetto: (Chionetti's Dolcetto di Dogliani; Cavalotto Dolcetto
d'Alba)
Barbera: (Giacomo Bologna)
Negro Amaro: (Taurino's Patriglione Rosso Del Salento)
Nebbiolo: (Far too many to mention)
Primitivo (Carparelli)
Nero di Troia (70%) and Montepulciano (30%) (Rivera's Il Falcone)
Montepulciano (Valentini's Montepulciano di Abruzzo)
Bombino Bianco (Valentini's Trebbiano di Abruzzo)
Aglianico del Vulture (from Mastroberardino, D'Angelo, & Paternoster)
Fiano di Avellino (Mastroberardino)
Greco di Tufo (Mastroberardino)
Carignano (Santadi's Rocca Rubia)
Vermentino (Vermentino di Sardegna)
Nuragus (Sardinia)
Uranium Committee

Leo Bueno > wrote in message >. ..
> http://www.fosters.com.au/wine/histo...ry_of_wine.asp
> Since these early times the humble vine can be found growing in most
> countries in a wide variety of climates. The primary species is Vitis
> vinifera and of the thousands of cultivars only around 30 are
> regularly cultivated and of these only a dozen or so are considered to
> be premium.
>
> Which are the 12 "premium" varieties?
>
> I suspect the list includes:
> 1. Chardonnay
> 2. Riesling
> 3. Sauvignon Blanc
> 4. Pinot Gris/Grigio
> 5. Cabernet Sauvignon
> 6. Merlot
> 7. Syrah/Shiraz
> 8. Sangiovese

I'm not sure grape 'varieties' are the best way to think of wine.
Great winemakers can make great wine from almost any grape variety, if
that grape is cared for properly. Witness Valentini's Terebbiano di
Abruzzo and Montepulciano di Abruzzo, or Giacomo Bologna's Barberas.

....and of course, the much-neglected Grignolino, which can be superb
in the hands of those who know how to handle this grape.

Too, some grapes do not travel well, and do not reach the heights in
other lands that they do at home.

That said, my favorite varieties (favorite producers/examples) a

Dolcetto: (Chionetti's Dolcetto di Dogliani; Cavalotto Dolcetto
d'Alba)
Barbera: (Giacomo Bologna)
Negro Amaro: (Taurino's Patriglione Rosso Del Salento)
Nebbiolo: (Far too many to mention)
Primitivo (Carparelli)
Nero di Troia (70%) and Montepulciano (30%) (Rivera's Il Falcone)
Montepulciano (Valentini's Montepulciano di Abruzzo)
Bombino Bianco (Valentini's Trebbiano di Abruzzo)
Aglianico del Vulture (from Mastroberardino, D'Angelo, & Paternoster)
Fiano di Avellino (Mastroberardino)
Greco di Tufo (Mastroberardino)
Carignano (Santadi's Rocca Rubia)
Vermentino (Vermentino di Sardegna)
Nuragus (Sardinia)
Uranium Committee

(Cwdjrx _) wrote in message >...
> I am limiting my list to only 7. However in addition to the main great
> grapes, we must have some helper grapes available for Bordeaux. A poor
> wine can be made from any variety of grape. Thus I rate by which grape
> can produce the greatest wine when grown in the right spot by growers
> who know what they are doing. The wine maker has to be top, and the
> owner must be a person who aims for the best.
>
> WHITES:
> 1. Furmint - A great Tokaji Essencia exceeds even a Riesling TBA in
> complexity, richness, balance, ability to age, etc. Even Louis XIV
> called it the king of wines when he could have anything that France had
> to offer.
>
> 2. Riesling - Not far down from Furmint. The best TBA can be as complex
> as Tokaji Essencia, but it usually is not quite as rich or long lasting.
>
> 3. Chenin Blanc - Despite the tons of so-so Chenin Blanc produced, the
> rare late harvest sweet ones from a few select regions of the Loire can
> exceed anything I have tasted from Sauternes includng Yquem. They are
> more complex, richer, and last longer.
>
> 4. Chardonnay - Although it does not produce wines of the complexity,
> richness, or ability to age as do the above, a top Montrachet is about
> as good as you can do with a dry white wine.
>
> RED WINES:
>
> 1. Pinot Noir - On the average, many more good Cabernet Sauvignon wines
> are produced than Pinot Noirs. But at the top in the right year, La
> Tache and Romanee-Conti far exceed any Bordeaux I have ever tasted in
> complexity and richness of taste and smell.
>
> 2. Cabernet Sauvignon - Of course some helper grapes often are needed.
> This grape needs no elaboration.

It's popular, for sure, but not a very good food wine nonetheless.

Premium flours? ? ? Ray[_7_] Sourdough 11 18-12-2009 12:41 AM
Try the new Premium Unseen Tea tksx Tea 6 24-10-2008 03:27 PM
Cultivars and tea types, [email protected] Tea 1 10-09-2008 03:13 PM
Premium Tequila [email protected] Beer 0 22-07-2008 11:38 PM
TN- '80-'82 non-premium Napas Dale Williams Wine 2 24-10-2003 02:06 PM