Dale Williams

Default TN: mediocre wines with mediocre (or worse) food

In the late 1990s, I lived alone. I often ate simply (sometimes just fruit and
cheese), but seldom ate badly. Then in 2000 romance struck, and Betsy moved to
NY in 2001. Since then, she does the vast majority of the cooking. Occasionally
it's my turn, and I try (usually failing) to reach her level. The funny thing
is now when I'm alone, if she doesn't have leftovers, I eat badly. Somehow I
can't get the energy to really cook just for me anymore.

This week all the leftovers were gone by midweek, but Thursday I found frozen
pesto in the fridge. Thawed and put over fettucine, with the 2003 Indaba Chenin
Blanc (South Africa). Initially I think I get some TCA, but whatever it is
blows off ( I seem to get more of these mistaken corked whiffs from Chenin than
other grapes). Light-bodied, grapefruit and gauva, not distinctively Chenin
Blanc, but a pleasant light wine with good acidity. And good QPR at $5. B

A friend came over to help me for a second (I needed hands to hold foam panel
in place as I attach to cellar door), I opened a red to offer him. 2000 Ch. La
Cardonne (Médoc) is proof that not all 2000 Bordeaux are good. Very soft,
modest red fruit and light oak, light yet rather rough tannins, flabby and
anonymous. I try again on Friday, and just sipped a bit right now. Tannins now
not apparent, and fruit darker, but this is boring wine. A t $12 not good QPR.
C+

Friday I have some supermarket "Bbq chicken" yuck, manage to eat a few bites
but can't waste wine on it. Later in evening I have a glass of the 2002 Dr.
Burklin-Wolf Qba Riesling (Pfalz). Big and spicy, but a little lacking in
precision. Citrus and apricot fruit with a little honey. Tastes like a mediocre
halb-trocken Spätlese. B/B-

Today I grabbed a chicken marsala at Fairway. The best food I've had in several
days is a tomato sandwich on a baguette for lunch. I love heirloom tomatoes,
but this is a simple hybrid, but still there's something about a tomato from
one's backyard. But I'm going to be really glad when Betsy's home tomorrow.

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a
good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where
it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy,
and certainly not of consistency. *
Dale

Dale Williams
Drop "damnspam" to reply
Larry

On 15 Aug 2004 00:24:27 GMT, amnspam (Dale Williams)
wrote:

>In the late 1990s, I lived alone. I often ate simply (sometimes just fruit and
>cheese), but seldom ate badly. Then in 2000 romance struck, and Betsy moved to
>NY in 2001. Since then, she does the vast majority of the cooking. Occasionally
>it's my turn, and I try (usually failing) to reach her level. The funny thing
>is now when I'm alone, if she doesn't have leftovers, I eat badly. Somehow I
>can't get the energy to really cook just for me anymore.
>
>This week all the leftovers were gone by midweek, but Thursday I found frozen
>pesto in the fridge. Thawed and put over fettucine, with the 2003 Indaba Chenin
>Blanc (South Africa). Initially I think I get some TCA, but whatever it is
>blows off ( I seem to get more of these mistaken corked whiffs from Chenin than
>other grapes). Light-bodied, grapefruit and gauva, not distinctively Chenin
>Blanc, but a pleasant light wine with good acidity. And good QPR at $5. B
>
>A friend came over to help me for a second (I needed hands to hold foam panel
>in place as I attach to cellar door), I opened a red to offer him. 2000 Ch. La
>Cardonne (Médoc) is proof that not all 2000 Bordeaux are good. Very soft,
>modest red fruit and light oak, light yet rather rough tannins, flabby and
>anonymous. I try again on Friday, and just sipped a bit right now. Tannins now
>not apparent, and fruit darker, but this is boring wine. A t $12 not good QPR.
>C+
>
>Friday I have some supermarket "Bbq chicken" yuck, manage to eat a few bites
>but can't waste wine on it. Later in evening I have a glass of the 2002 Dr.
>Burklin-Wolf Qba Riesling (Pfalz). Big and spicy, but a little lacking in
>precision. Citrus and apricot fruit with a little honey. Tastes like a mediocre
>halb-trocken Spätlese. B/B-
>
>Today I grabbed a chicken marsala at Fairway. The best food I've had in several
>days is a tomato sandwich on a baguette for lunch. I love heirloom tomatoes,
>but this is a simple hybrid, but still there's something about a tomato from
>one's backyard. But I'm going to be really glad when Betsy's home tomorrow.
>
>Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a
>good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where
>it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy,
>and certainly not of consistency. *
>Dale

Hi Dale,

Maybe the food and or the wine was actually good but your missing
better half just affected your astute taste buds. ;-}

Larry
Southern Ontario
Larry