Vincent

Default Lebanese vintage chart??

While dining at a Mediterranean restaurant, I noticed that their wine listed
included three selections from Lebanon. Actually, it was three vintages of
the same wine (Chateau Musar), which I have subsequently learned is well
respected. We went with something Greek instead, which we found a little
disappointing (though I'm often disappointed the week following a Bordeaux).
I would like to give the Chataeu Musar a try though, the next time we are
there.

Meanwhile, I have tried to find a vintage chart from the area, but have not
had any luck. Can someone refer me to a web site that may have one (or
simply list the "great" years, if there are any)?

Thanks in advance

Mark Lipton

Vincent wrote:

> Meanwhile, I have tried to find a vintage chart from the area, but have not
> had any luck. Can someone refer me to a web site that may have one (or
> simply list the "great" years, if there are any)?

For one's person's views, see:
http://www.thewinedoctor.com/tasting...le/musar.shtml

Mark Lipton
Mark Lipton

Vincent wrote:

> Meanwhile, I have tried to find a vintage chart from the area, but have not
> had any luck. Can someone refer me to a web site that may have one (or
> simply list the "great" years, if there are any)?

For one's person's views, see:
http://www.thewinedoctor.com/tasting...le/musar.shtml

Mark Lipton
Mark Lipton

Vincent wrote:

> Meanwhile, I have tried to find a vintage chart from the area, but have not
> had any luck. Can someone refer me to a web site that may have one (or
> simply list the "great" years, if there are any)?

For one's person's views, see:
http://www.thewinedoctor.com/tasting...le/musar.shtml

Mark Lipton
larkin1734

Vincent wrote:
> While dining at a Mediterranean restaurant, I noticed that their wine listed
> included three selections from Lebanon. Actually, it was three vintages of
> the same wine (Chateau Musar), which I have subsequently learned is well
> respected. We went with something Greek instead, which we found a little
> disappointing (though I'm often disappointed the week following a Bordeaux).
> I would like to give the Chataeu Musar a try though, the next time we are
> there.
>
> Meanwhile, I have tried to find a vintage chart from the area, but have not
> had any luck. Can someone refer me to a web site that may have one (or
> simply list the "great" years, if there are any)?
>
> Thanks in advance

While it doesn't contain a vintage chart, I found this site useful when
I was trying to decide when to open a 1995 Musar. HTH
<http://www.stratsplace.com/cgi-bin/search?t=tastingnotes&n=Rogov%27s+Tasting+Notes&Co untry=Lebanon&UserID=4>

Ken K.

> Vincent wrote:
>
>> While dining at a Mediterranean restaurant, I noticed that their wine
>> listed
>> included three selections from Lebanon. Actually, it was three
>> vintages of
>> the same wine (Chateau Musar), which I have subsequently learned is well
>> respected. We went with something Greek instead, which we found a little
>> disappointing (though I'm often disappointed the week following a
>> Bordeaux).
>> I would like to give the Chataeu Musar a try though, the next time we are
>> there.

I have two bottles of the white 1994 in the cellar and I was wondering
if anyone has any comments on it. The two sites listed in this thread
seemed to concentrate on the reds. Thanks.

Ken
Ken K.

> Vincent wrote:
>
>> While dining at a Mediterranean restaurant, I noticed that their wine
>> listed
>> included three selections from Lebanon. Actually, it was three
>> vintages of
>> the same wine (Chateau Musar), which I have subsequently learned is well
>> respected. We went with something Greek instead, which we found a little
>> disappointing (though I'm often disappointed the week following a
>> Bordeaux).
>> I would like to give the Chataeu Musar a try though, the next time we are
>> there.

I have two bottles of the white 1994 in the cellar and I was wondering
if anyone has any comments on it. The two sites listed in this thread
seemed to concentrate on the reds. Thanks.

Ken
gerald

How much and where is the restaurant?

On Mon, 02 Aug 2004 19:08:28 GMT, "Vincent" >
wrote:

>While dining at a Mediterranean restaurant, I noticed that their wine listed
>included three selections from Lebanon. Actually, it was three vintages of
>the same wine (Chateau Musar), which I have subsequently learned is well
>respected. We went with something Greek instead, which we found a little
>disappointing (though I'm often disappointed the week following a Bordeaux).
>I would like to give the Chataeu Musar a try though, the next time we are
>there.
>
>Meanwhile, I have tried to find a vintage chart from the area, but have not
>had any luck. Can someone refer me to a web site that may have one (or
>simply list the "great" years, if there are any)?
>
>Thanks in advance

Vincent

I don't recall the prices, but the restaurant was at the Westin Hotel on
Michigan Avenue in Chicago.

"gerald" > wrote in message
> How much and where is the restaurant?
>
> On Mon, 02 Aug 2004 19:08:28 GMT, "Vincent" >
> wrote:
>
> >While dining at a Mediterranean restaurant, I noticed that their wine

listed
> >included three selections from Lebanon. Actually, it was three vintages

of
> >the same wine (Chateau Musar), which I have subsequently learned is well
> >respected. We went with something Greek instead, which we found a little
> >disappointing (though I'm often disappointed the week following a

Bordeaux).
> >I would like to give the Chataeu Musar a try though, the next time we are
> >there.
> >
> >Meanwhile, I have tried to find a vintage chart from the area, but have

not
> >had any luck. Can someone refer me to a web site that may have one (or
> >simply list the "great" years, if there are any)?
> >
> >Thanks in advance

Vincent

"gerald" > wrote in message
> How much and where is the restaurant?
>
> On Mon, 02 Aug 2004 19:08:28 GMT, "Vincent" >
> wrote:
>
> >While dining at a Mediterranean restaurant, I noticed that their wine

listed
> >included three selections from Lebanon. Actually, it was three vintages

of
> >the same wine (Chateau Musar), which I have subsequently learned is well
> >respected. We went with something Greek instead, which we found a little
> >disappointing (though I'm often disappointed the week following a

Bordeaux).
> >I would like to give the Chataeu Musar a try though, the next time we are
> >there.
> >
> >Meanwhile, I have tried to find a vintage chart from the area, but have

not
> >had any luck. Can someone refer me to a web site that may have one (or
> >simply list the "great" years, if there are any)?
> >
> >Thanks in advance

Sojourner

On Mon, 02 Aug 2004 22:40:21 GMT, "Ken K."
> wrote:

>> Vincent wrote:
>>
>>> While dining at a Mediterranean restaurant, I noticed that their wine
>>> listed
>>> included three selections from Lebanon. Actually, it was three
>>> vintages of
>>> the same wine (Chateau Musar), which I have subsequently learned is well
>>> respected. We went with something Greek instead, which we found a little
>>> disappointing (though I'm often disappointed the week following a
>>> Bordeaux).
>>> I would like to give the Chataeu Musar a try though, the next time we are
>>> there.

>I have two bottles of the white 1994 in the cellar and I was wondering
>if anyone has any comments on it. The two sites listed in this thread
>seemed to concentrate on the reds. Thanks.

I opened my last bottle of 1994 white last week while one of my sons
was visiting. We found a wine that was so thin it tasted like a
diluted Chardonnay. To avoid it being totally wasted, I used some of
it the following evening when making a rissoto.

Sojourner

Sojourner

On Mon, 02 Aug 2004 22:40:21 GMT, "Ken K."
> wrote:

>> Vincent wrote:
>>
>>> While dining at a Mediterranean restaurant, I noticed that their wine
>>> listed
>>> included three selections from Lebanon. Actually, it was three
>>> vintages of
>>> the same wine (Chateau Musar), which I have subsequently learned is well
>>> respected. We went with something Greek instead, which we found a little
>>> disappointing (though I'm often disappointed the week following a
>>> Bordeaux).
>>> I would like to give the Chataeu Musar a try though, the next time we are
>>> there.

>I have two bottles of the white 1994 in the cellar and I was wondering
>if anyone has any comments on it. The two sites listed in this thread
>seemed to concentrate on the reds. Thanks.

I opened my last bottle of 1994 white last week while one of my sons
was visiting. We found a wine that was so thin it tasted like a
diluted Chardonnay. To avoid it being totally wasted, I used some of
it the following evening when making a rissoto.

Sojourner

Yves Tychon

No idea about a vintage chart, but I have the impression that the Lebanese
climate allows for few variations.Wine list in restaurants in Lebanon itself
usually do not specify the vintage, so...

As I had the opportunity to visit Chteau Musar's winery last April, I have
learned a few things that might be of interest to you:

- their reds always benefit from decanting (up to two hours for younger
vintages)
- their white wine should not be drunk chilled, but at cellar temperature
(12°c seem very fine, please convert it into Fahrenheit yourself). The 1998
is drinking very well now.
- when it comes to matching their wines with food, the owners discourage
having them with mezzé as the wine might be overwhelmed by the variety of
strong flavors.

Hope this helps

Yves

"Vincent" > wrote in message
m...
> While dining at a Mediterranean restaurant, I noticed that their wine

listed
> included three selections from Lebanon. Actually, it was three vintages of
> the same wine (Chateau Musar), which I have subsequently learned is well
> respected. We went with something Greek instead, which we found a little
> disappointing (though I'm often disappointed the week following a

Bordeaux).
> I would like to give the Chataeu Musar a try though, the next time we are
> there.
>
> Meanwhile, I have tried to find a vintage chart from the area, but have

not
> had any luck. Can someone refer me to a web site that may have one (or
> simply list the "great" years, if there are any)?
>
> Thanks in advance

Yves Tychon

No idea about a vintage chart, but I have the impression that the Lebanese
climate allows for few variations.Wine list in restaurants in Lebanon itself
usually do not specify the vintage, so...

As I had the opportunity to visit Chteau Musar's winery last April, I have
learned a few things that might be of interest to you:

- their reds always benefit from decanting (up to two hours for younger
vintages)
- their white wine should not be drunk chilled, but at cellar temperature
(12°c seem very fine, please convert it into Fahrenheit yourself). The 1998
is drinking very well now.
- when it comes to matching their wines with food, the owners discourage
having them with mezzé as the wine might be overwhelmed by the variety of
strong flavors.

Hope this helps

Yves

"Vincent" > wrote in message
m...
> While dining at a Mediterranean restaurant, I noticed that their wine

listed
> included three selections from Lebanon. Actually, it was three vintages of
> the same wine (Chateau Musar), which I have subsequently learned is well
> respected. We went with something Greek instead, which we found a little
> disappointing (though I'm often disappointed the week following a

Bordeaux).
> I would like to give the Chataeu Musar a try though, the next time we are
> there.
>
> Meanwhile, I have tried to find a vintage chart from the area, but have

not
> had any luck. Can someone refer me to a web site that may have one (or
> simply list the "great" years, if there are any)?
>
> Thanks in advance

Ken K.

x-no archive: yes

Sojourner wrote:

>>I have two bottles of the white 1994 in the cellar and I was wondering
>>if anyone has any comments on it. The two sites listed in this thread
>>seemed to concentrate on the reds. Thanks.

> I opened my last bottle of 1994 white last week while one of my sons
> was visiting. We found a wine that was so thin it tasted like a
> diluted Chardonnay. To avoid it being totally wasted, I used some of
> it the following evening when making a rissoto.

Thanks for the (somewhat sad) news. I'll open my bottles as soon as
possible and see how mine compare with yours. I don't feel too bad as I
was given these two gratis by my wine shop a few months ago. Thanks.

--

Ken

PLEASE REMOVE THE NONSENSE FROM MY ADDRESS TO REPLY!

Sojourner

>>While dining at a Mediterranean restaurant, I noticed that their wine listed
>>included three selections from Lebanon. Actually, it was three vintages of
>>the same wine (Chateau Musar), which I have subsequently learned is well
>>respected. We went with something Greek instead, which we found a little
>>disappointing (though I'm often disappointed the week following a Bordeaux).
>>I would like to give the Chataeu Musar a try though, the next time we are
>>there.
>>
>>Meanwhile, I have tried to find a vintage chart from the area, but have not
>>had any luck. Can someone refer me to a web site that may have one (or
>>simply list the "great" years, if there are any)?
>>
>>Thanks in advance

You may find something of interest on the Chateau Musar UK web site.
It has various tasting notes, etc. It's at
http://www.clubmusar.co.uk/Chateau%20Musar%20Wines.htm

Hope that helps.

Sojourner

James Dempster

On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 10:41:47 +0100, Sojourner
> wrote:

>>>While dining at a Mediterranean restaurant, I noticed that their wine listed
>>>included three selections from Lebanon. Actually, it was three vintages of
>>>the same wine (Chateau Musar), which I have subsequently learned is well
>>>respected. We went with something Greek instead, which we found a little
>>>disappointing (though I'm often disappointed the week following a Bordeaux).
>>>I would like to give the Chataeu Musar a try though, the next time we are
>>>there.
>>>
>>>Meanwhile, I have tried to find a vintage chart from the area, but have not
>>>had any luck. Can someone refer me to a web site that may have one (or
>>>simply list the "great" years, if there are any)?
>>>
>>>Thanks in advance

>You may find something of interest on the Chateau Musar UK web site.
>It has various tasting notes, etc. It's at
>http://www.clubmusar.co.uk/Chateau%20Musar%20Wines.htm
>
>Hope that helps.

Had some of the 91 on Sunday. Still very Musar-y but getting rather
short and tiring rapidly in the glass. Looks like it may now be a
"drink up" vintage.

James
James Dempster (remove nospam to reply by email)

You know you've had a good night
when you wake up
and someone's outlining you in chalk.
James Dempster

On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 10:41:47 +0100, Sojourner
> wrote:

>>>While dining at a Mediterranean restaurant, I noticed that their wine listed
>>>included three selections from Lebanon. Actually, it was three vintages of
>>>the same wine (Chateau Musar), which I have subsequently learned is well
>>>respected. We went with something Greek instead, which we found a little
>>>disappointing (though I'm often disappointed the week following a Bordeaux).
>>>I would like to give the Chataeu Musar a try though, the next time we are
>>>there.
>>>
>>>Meanwhile, I have tried to find a vintage chart from the area, but have not
>>>had any luck. Can someone refer me to a web site that may have one (or
>>>simply list the "great" years, if there are any)?
>>>
>>>Thanks in advance

>You may find something of interest on the Chateau Musar UK web site.
>It has various tasting notes, etc. It's at
>http://www.clubmusar.co.uk/Chateau%20Musar%20Wines.htm
>
>Hope that helps.

Had some of the 91 on Sunday. Still very Musar-y but getting rather
short and tiring rapidly in the glass. Looks like it may now be a
"drink up" vintage.

James
James Dempster (remove nospam to reply by email)

You know you've had a good night
when you wake up
and someone's outlining you in chalk.
Vincent

"Sojourner" wrote in message

> You may find something of interest on the Chateau Musar UK web site.
> It has various tasting notes, etc. It's at
> http://www.clubmusar.co.uk/Chateau%20Musar%20Wines.htm
>
> Hope that helps.
>
> Sojourner

Well, thanks! After checking out the site yesterday right before leaving
work, I picked up a '95 Red on the way home (was going to the wine store
anyway) since it was fresh in mind when my eyes met up with the word
LEBANON. They had only one bottle of the '95, and several of other vintages,
so I opted to buy the '95. I thought I'd have it Sunday with a lamb dish
I'll be preparing. When I got home, my wife informed me that we were invited
to the neighbor's for dinner. When I heard that they were having
shish-kabobs, I knew it would be appropriate to bring a red. The only other
non-cellared red in the house was a Shiraz, and I wanted something at
room-temp. Also, my wife had already discovered my purchase and asked if I
thought it would go good with lamb.

It was very.... intersting. Someone here used the word "Musar-y" the other
day, and now I know what they were talking about. The various flavors that
are present seemed flat, not be as well integrated as in a Bordeaux. At
first, I saw that as a turn-off because - while tasting it - it struck me as
somewhat harsh. But the sweetness seemed to mellow that out somehow and the
aftertaste made me forget any unpleasantness all together, and begged for
another taste. And with each taste, it became less intimidating, and with
each taste I started noticing flavors that didn't seem to be present just 30
seconds earlier.

And as the review suggests, it goes very well with grilled lamb (and so says
my neighbor who hardly ever drinks red wine, always "just a little"; this
time I had to guzzle just to keep up with him; thankfully, his wife couldn't
have any due to medicine, and my wife is nursing our baby, so only had one
glass).

I will definitely seek out more bottles of the '95 Red in the future.

Vincent