Graeme

Default Sherry shelf life

I wonder if anyone can answer this question?

I have three bottles of sherry (amontillado and fino) that have been
stored for some years in the mistaken belief (not mine) that they
would mature. I'd say that they have been kept for about 5-7 years. I
can see plenty of fine sediment and oxidization (darkening of the
fino) when held up to the light.

These bottles have never been opened and the corks seem fine. Would
they still be drinkable? If so, how should I proceed?

Many thanks.

Graeme
Ron Lel

"Graeme" > wrote in message
om...
> I wonder if anyone can answer this question?
>
> I have three bottles of sherry (amontillado and fino) that have been
> stored for some years in the mistaken belief (not mine) that they
> would mature. I'd say that they have been kept for about 5-7 years. I
> can see plenty of fine sediment and oxidization (darkening of the
> fino) when held up to the light.
>
> These bottles have never been opened and the corks seem fine. Would
> they still be drinkable? If so, how should I proceed?
>
> Many thanks.
>
> Graeme

They are probably drinkable, as opposed to manzanillas which would not be. I
remeber drinking some 45 yo Seppelts sherry that was waylaid in a winery
corner which was quite nice.

Ron Lel

Ron Lel

"Graeme" > wrote in message
om...
> I wonder if anyone can answer this question?
>
> I have three bottles of sherry (amontillado and fino) that have been
> stored for some years in the mistaken belief (not mine) that they
> would mature. I'd say that they have been kept for about 5-7 years. I
> can see plenty of fine sediment and oxidization (darkening of the
> fino) when held up to the light.
>
> These bottles have never been opened and the corks seem fine. Would
> they still be drinkable? If so, how should I proceed?
>
> Many thanks.
>
> Graeme

They are probably drinkable, as opposed to manzanillas which would not be. I
remeber drinking some 45 yo Seppelts sherry that was waylaid in a winery
corner which was quite nice.

Ron Lel

Cwdjrx _

Many finos tend to lose freshness and become a bit stale when they are
stored for several years. In the US I try to buy fino from a store that
has good turnover and drink it soon after purchase.

I would just stand the bottles up for several days or a few weeks to
hopefully allow most of the sediment you mentioned to fall to the bottom
of the bottle. Then pour or decant the fino very carefully. There is
considerable variation in brands of fino, so it is difficult to guess
what kind of shape it is in. Most of the best finos are quite dry, often
are best somewhat chilled, and can be drunk with a wide variety of foods
as well as alone.

My mailbox is always full to avoid spam. To contact me, erase
from my email address. Then add . I do not
check this box every day, so post if you need a quick response.

Michael Pronay

"Sammy" > wrote:

> BTW, Ron, Manzanilla is Fino: just Fino from the seaside rather
> than the town

<nitpickmode>

You are right, normally Manzanilla is Manzanilla Fina, although
Manzanilla Amontillada does exist.

</nitpickmode>

M.

Michael Pronay

"Sammy" > wrote:

> BTW, Ron, Manzanilla is Fino: just Fino from the seaside rather
> than the town

<nitpickmode>

You are right, normally Manzanilla is Manzanilla Fina, although
Manzanilla Amontillada does exist.

</nitpickmode>

M.
Michael Pronay

"Sammy" > wrote:

> BTW, Ron, Manzanilla is Fino: just Fino from the seaside rather
> than the town

<nitpickmode>

You are right, normally Manzanilla is Manzanilla Fina, although
Manzanilla Amontillada does exist.

</nitpickmode>

M.
Sammy

"Graeme" > wrote in message
om...
> I wonder if anyone can answer this question?
>
> I have three bottles of sherry (amontillado and fino) that have been
> stored for some years in the mistaken belief (not mine) that they
> would mature. I'd say that they have been kept for about 5-7 years. I
> can see plenty of fine sediment and oxidization (darkening of the
> fino) when held up to the light.
>
> These bottles have never been opened and the corks seem fine. Would
> they still be drinkable? If so, how should I proceed?

Hi Graeme

The Fino is almost certainly undrinkable, they are made to be drunk as soon
as they are bottled (or before) and begin to deteriorate straight away.
The Amontillado (a Fino which has been allowed to oxidize before bottling)
*could* be okay.
No harm in finding out, please let us know what they're like.

BTW, Ron, Manzanilla is Fino: just Fino from the seaside rather than the
town :-).

Regards
Sammy

Sammy

"Graeme" > wrote in message
om...
> I wonder if anyone can answer this question?
>
> I have three bottles of sherry (amontillado and fino) that have been
> stored for some years in the mistaken belief (not mine) that they
> would mature. I'd say that they have been kept for about 5-7 years. I
> can see plenty of fine sediment and oxidization (darkening of the
> fino) when held up to the light.
>
> These bottles have never been opened and the corks seem fine. Would
> they still be drinkable? If so, how should I proceed?

Hi Graeme

The Fino is almost certainly undrinkable, they are made to be drunk as soon
as they are bottled (or before) and begin to deteriorate straight away.
The Amontillado (a Fino which has been allowed to oxidize before bottling)
*could* be okay.
No harm in finding out, please let us know what they're like.

BTW, Ron, Manzanilla is Fino: just Fino from the seaside rather than the
town :-).

Regards
Sammy

Ken Blake

In ,
Michael Pronay > typed:

> "Sammy" > wrote:
>
>> BTW, Ron, Manzanilla is Fino: just Fino from the seaside

rather
>> than the town

> <nitpickmode>
>
> You are right, normally Manzanilla is Manzanilla Fina, although
> Manzanilla Amontillada does exist.

Manzanilla is also chamomile tea, as I learned to my chagrin at a
bar in Madrid some years ago.

Tea (chamomile or otherwise) was what *not* what I expected to
get when I asked for manzanilla.

--
Ken Blake
Please reply to the newsgroup

Ken Blake

In ,
Michael Pronay > typed:

> "Sammy" > wrote:
>
>> BTW, Ron, Manzanilla is Fino: just Fino from the seaside

rather
>> than the town

> <nitpickmode>
>
> You are right, normally Manzanilla is Manzanilla Fina, although
> Manzanilla Amontillada does exist.

Manzanilla is also chamomile tea, as I learned to my chagrin at a
bar in Madrid some years ago.

Tea (chamomile or otherwise) was what *not* what I expected to
get when I asked for manzanilla.

--
Ken Blake
Please reply to the newsgroup

Michael Pronay

"Ken Blake" > wrote:

> Manzanilla is also chamomile tea, as I learned to my chagrin at
> a bar in Madrid some years ago.

Yeah, the same happen to me at a camping site and in a restaurant,
both in Pamplona, although in both cases the Manzanilla was listed
under the sherries. In the latter case - after my first attempt at
the camping site - even ordering "vino manzanilla" didn't help.

M.
Mike Tommasi

On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 12:25:50 -0700, "Ken Blake"
> wrote:

>In ,
>Michael Pronay > typed:
>

>> "Sammy" > wrote:
>>
>>> BTW, Ron, Manzanilla is Fino: just Fino from the seaside

>rather
>>> than the town

>> <nitpickmode>
>>
>> You are right, normally Manzanilla is Manzanilla Fina, although
>> Manzanilla Amontillada does exist.

>Manzanilla is also chamomile tea, as I learned to my chagrin at a
>bar in Madrid some years ago.
>
>Tea (chamomile or otherwise) was what *not* what I expected to
>get when I asked for manzanilla.

In fact, you should have said that "manzanilla" is also the name of a
type of sherry. Because "manzanilla" means first and foremost,
chamomile... ;-)

Mike

Mike Tommasi, Six Fours, France
email link http://www.tommasi.org/mymail
Mike Tommasi

On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 12:25:50 -0700, "Ken Blake"
> wrote:

>In ,
>Michael Pronay > typed:
>

>> "Sammy" > wrote:
>>
>>> BTW, Ron, Manzanilla is Fino: just Fino from the seaside

>rather
>>> than the town

>> <nitpickmode>
>>
>> You are right, normally Manzanilla is Manzanilla Fina, although
>> Manzanilla Amontillada does exist.

>Manzanilla is also chamomile tea, as I learned to my chagrin at a
>bar in Madrid some years ago.
>
>Tea (chamomile or otherwise) was what *not* what I expected to
>get when I asked for manzanilla.

In fact, you should have said that "manzanilla" is also the name of a
type of sherry. Because "manzanilla" means first and foremost,
chamomile... ;-)

Mike

Mike Tommasi, Six Fours, France
email link http://www.tommasi.org/mymail
Anders Tørneskog

"Ken Blake" > skrev i melding
> Manzanilla is also chamomile tea, as I learned to my chagrin at a
> bar in Madrid some years ago.
>
> Tea (chamomile or otherwise) was what *not* what I expected to
> get when I asked for manzanilla.

me too, in Palma.
Anders

Mike Tommasi

On Sun, 01 Aug 2004 12:23:57 GMT, "Sammy" >
wrote:

>"Mike Tommasi" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 12:25:50 -0700, "Ken Blake"
>> > wrote:
>>
>> >In ,
>> >Michael Pronay > typed:

>> >rather

>> >Manzanilla is also chamomile tea, as I learned to my chagrin at a
>> >bar in Madrid some years ago.
>> >
>> >Tea (chamomile or otherwise) was what *not* what I expected to
>> >get when I asked for manzanilla.

>> In fact, you should have said that "manzanilla" is also the name of a
>> type of sherry. Because "manzanilla" means first and foremost,
>> chamomile... ;-)
>>

>Hi
>
>I'm pretty sure that the word derives from the Spanish for apple (manzana)
>and (historically) refers to the high acid of the wine. Some examples to
>back this idea up are Manzanilla olives which are known for their
>bitterness, the Manchaneel tree which is known for it's (dangerously) acid
>sap.
>
>Incidentally, Palomino (the *good* grape of Manzanilla) is the only white
>grape to have a naturally higher Malic than Tartaric acid.content. Malic
>derives from Latin Malus which means apple. Nice, eh !? :-).
>
>I hope you enjoyed my little etymological flourish. I studied some of this
>at uni: it seems I haven't forgotten everything :-). Or I could just be
>wrong.

Fun stuff !

Chamomile comes from the greek khamai-melon (ground apple). Melon =
Apple = Manzana...

Mike

Mike Tommasi, Six Fours, France
email link http://www.tommasi.org/mymail
Mike Tommasi

wrote:

>"Mike Tommasi" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 12:25:50 -0700, "Ken Blake"
>> > wrote:
>>
>> >In ,
>> >Michael Pronay > typed:

>> >rather

>> >Manzanilla is also chamomile tea, as I learned to my chagrin at a
>> >bar in Madrid some years ago.
>> >
>> >Tea (chamomile or otherwise) was what *not* what I expected to
>> >get when I asked for manzanilla.

>> In fact, you should have said that "manzanilla" is also the name of a
>> type of sherry. Because "manzanilla" means first and foremost,
>> chamomile... ;-)
>>

>Hi
>
>I'm pretty sure that the word derives from the Spanish for apple (manzana)
>and (historically) refers to the high acid of the wine. Some examples to
>back this idea up are Manzanilla olives which are known for their
>bitterness, the Manchaneel tree which is known for it's (dangerously) acid
>sap.
>
>Incidentally, Palomino (the *good* grape of Manzanilla) is the only white
>grape to have a naturally higher Malic than Tartaric acid.content. Malic
>derives from Latin Malus which means apple. Nice, eh !? :-).
>
>I hope you enjoyed my little etymological flourish. I studied some of this
>at uni: it seems I haven't forgotten everything :-). Or I could just be
>wrong.

Fun stuff !

Chamomile comes from the greek khamai-melon (ground apple). Melon =
Apple = Manzana...

Mike

Mike Tommasi, Six Fours, France
email link http://www.tommasi.org/mymail
Sammy

"Mike Tommasi" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 12:25:50 -0700, "Ken Blake"
> > wrote:
>
> >In ,
> >Michael Pronay > typed:

> >rather
> >>
> >> <nitpickmode>
> >>
> >> You are right, normally Manzanilla is Manzanilla Fina, although
> >> Manzanilla Amontillada does exist.

> >Manzanilla is also chamomile tea, as I learned to my chagrin at a
> >bar in Madrid some years ago.
> >
> >Tea (chamomile or otherwise) was what *not* what I expected to
> >get when I asked for manzanilla.

> In fact, you should have said that "manzanilla" is also the name of a
> type of sherry. Because "manzanilla" means first and foremost,
> chamomile... ;-)

Hi

I'm pretty sure that the word derives from the Spanish for apple (manzana)
and (historically) refers to the high acid of the wine. Some examples to
back this idea up are Manzanilla olives which are known for their
bitterness, the Manchaneel tree which is known for it's (dangerously) acid
sap.

Incidentally, Palomino (the *good* grape of Manzanilla) is the only white
grape to have a naturally higher Malic than Tartaric acid.content. Malic
derives from Latin Malus which means apple. Nice, eh !? :-).

I hope you enjoyed my little etymological flourish. I studied some of this
at uni: it seems I haven't forgotten everything :-). Or I could just be
wrong.

Regards
Sammy

Sammy

Shelf life? [email protected] Wine 8 12-11-2014 12:31 AM
Shelf life Dick Heckman[_2_] Winemaking 1 19-12-2007 07:22 PM
Shelf life Zinc Potterman Preserving 7 20-07-2006 09:57 PM
Shelf life of ham Terry General Cooking 6 26-01-2006 01:03 AM
What is the shelf life for..... dizzi Preserving 6 18-08-2004 06:13 AM