Kent Feiler

Default "Totally screwed" and the wine cellar

Randall Graham announced a while back that Bonnie Doon was now
"totally screwed", i.e. all screw-top bottles, and other vineyards
are beginning to use artificial corks. I was thinking about what
effects it would have on a home wine cellar if eventually everyone got
screwed or corked artificially.

It would seem that we would no longer have to worry about humidity.
Whether your wine cellar was Death Valley or Okefenoke wouldn't
matter. Also, it would seem that there would be no need to store wine
horizontally, we could store it upright like jars of salad dressing in
the supermarket. (Although that seems a bit precarious. Maybe we
should still store it lying down for safety reasons.)

It would seem that the lead capsule would also go the way of the buggy
whip, and it may be time to sell your stock in companies that make
foil cutters.

Anything else? I wonder if the lack of a cork would effect the
MAXIMUM time something could stay in the celler? I'm thinking of the
2000 year-old Greek amphoras with wax capsules that were recovered
from a sunken ship and still proved drinkable. Maybe it's always the
cork that eventually gives way and ruins the wine.

Wine Cellar Dave In WA Winemaking 9 24-07-2007 04:51 AM
Build The Ideal Wine Cellar To Store Your Wine In Optimum Condition kari preston Winemaking 0 03-11-2006 10:59 AM
Build The Ideal Wine Cellar To Store Your Wine In Optimum Condition kari preston Wine 0 03-11-2006 10:58 AM
How To Build The Ideal Wine Cellar To Store Your Wine In Optimum Condition [email protected] Winemaking 1 20-12-2005 03:27 PM
Totally screwed up my "jelly bag"... Matt Shepherd Winemaking 8 04-10-2003 03:30 PM