Tom S

Default looking for buttery (malolactic) chardonnays

"Fiona" > wrote in message
m...
> Hi all,
>
> It seems like most of the chards available in my grocery store this
> year are "crisp and fruity," but I'd buy apple juice if that was what
> I wanted! Because I have no sense of smell, I prefer a big-bodied
> buttery chardonnay. Oaky and vanilla-y are good too.
>
> Possibly there are some out there that would provide the mouth-feel
> that I want, but I'm turned off by labels advertising apple,
> grapefruit, and other citrus.
>
> I was sorta curious about a fig-flavored chard, but the $20 price tag
> was too expensive for me.

I hate to scare you off, but $20 is pretty much entry level for the type of
wine you are seeking.

Not that there aren't a number of big producers out there that you might be
satisfied with (e.g. Gallo of Sonoma, Belvedere, Kendall-Jackson - to name a
few) but the better stuff starts at ~$20US.

Tom S
www.chteauburbank.com

Bill

Fiona wrote:
> It seems like most of the chards available in my grocery store this
> year are "crisp and fruity," but I'd buy apple juice if that was what
> I wanted! Because I have no sense of smell, I prefer a big-bodied
> buttery chardonnay. Oaky and vanilla-y are good too.
> Possibly there are some out there that would provide the mouth-feel
> that I want, but I'm turned off by labels advertising apple,
> grapefruit, and other citrus.

Fiona you might try the Chateau St Jean Sonoma County Chardonnay
that sells for around $10 or less. The Heitz sells for about $15
and is really a good buy. One that I like right now is Rodney
Strong Chalk Hill Vineyard that is also around $15. Try these wines
just barely chilled instead of very cold.

If you want to go for the gold in this line, try the Chalk Hill.
I think they substitute about 50% butter in their wine.

Bill

Fiona wrote:
> It seems like most of the chards available in my grocery store this
> year are "crisp and fruity," but I'd buy apple juice if that was what
> I wanted! Because I have no sense of smell, I prefer a big-bodied
> buttery chardonnay. Oaky and vanilla-y are good too.
> Possibly there are some out there that would provide the mouth-feel
> that I want, but I'm turned off by labels advertising apple,
> grapefruit, and other citrus.

Fiona you might try the Chateau St Jean Sonoma County Chardonnay
that sells for around $10 or less. The Heitz sells for about $15
and is really a good buy. One that I like right now is Rodney
Strong Chalk Hill Vineyard that is also around $15. Try these wines
just barely chilled instead of very cold.

If you want to go for the gold in this line, try the Chalk Hill.
I think they substitute about 50% butter in their wine.

Ed Rasimus

On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 17:39:36 GMT, Bill >
wrote:

>Fiona wrote:
>> It seems like most of the chards available in my grocery store this
>> year are "crisp and fruity," but I'd buy apple juice if that was what
>> I wanted! Because I have no sense of smell, I prefer a big-bodied
>> buttery chardonnay. Oaky and vanilla-y are good too.
>> Possibly there are some out there that would provide the mouth-feel
>> that I want, but I'm turned off by labels advertising apple,
>> grapefruit, and other citrus.

>Fiona you might try the Chateau St Jean Sonoma County Chardonnay
>that sells for around $10 or less. The Heitz sells for about $15
>and is really a good buy. One that I like right now is Rodney
>Strong Chalk Hill Vineyard that is also around $15. Try these wines
>just barely chilled instead of very cold.
>
>If you want to go for the gold in this line, try the Chalk Hill.
>I think they substitute about 50% butter in their wine.

I'm with Fiona regarding "apple, grapefruit, and citrus" in
Chardonnay. If I want those flavors I'll tend toward Viognier, Chenin
Blanc, Sauvignon Blanc and Riesling. At least that's where I usually
encounter those flavors.

For Chards I like butter, vanilla, and (alas) oak. I agree with
previous comments that finding "big" Chards with those flavors usually
means a bit more $$, but surprisingly my old stand-by Rex Goliath
comes through with a 47-pound Rooster Chardonnay that is very much
into the butter, vanilla style. At $5/bottle it's hard to go wrong.

I've also found that Australian Chardonnays seem to lean toward that
sweeter, big buttery style--with the exception of Penfold's Rawson's
Retreat, which doesn't taste like much of anything.

Ed Rasimus
Fighter Pilot (USAF-Ret)
"When Thunder Rolled"
Smithsonian Institution Press
ISBN #1-58834-103-8
Ed Rasimus

wrote:

>Fiona wrote:
>> It seems like most of the chards available in my grocery store this
>> year are "crisp and fruity," but I'd buy apple juice if that was what
>> I wanted! Because I have no sense of smell, I prefer a big-bodied
>> buttery chardonnay. Oaky and vanilla-y are good too.
>> Possibly there are some out there that would provide the mouth-feel
>> that I want, but I'm turned off by labels advertising apple,
>> grapefruit, and other citrus.

>Fiona you might try the Chateau St Jean Sonoma County Chardonnay
>that sells for around $10 or less. The Heitz sells for about $15
>and is really a good buy. One that I like right now is Rodney
>Strong Chalk Hill Vineyard that is also around $15. Try these wines
>just barely chilled instead of very cold.
>
>If you want to go for the gold in this line, try the Chalk Hill.
>I think they substitute about 50% butter in their wine.

I'm with Fiona regarding "apple, grapefruit, and citrus" in
Chardonnay. If I want those flavors I'll tend toward Viognier, Chenin
Blanc, Sauvignon Blanc and Riesling. At least that's where I usually
encounter those flavors.

For Chards I like butter, vanilla, and (alas) oak. I agree with
previous comments that finding "big" Chards with those flavors usually
means a bit more $$, but surprisingly my old stand-by Rex Goliath
comes through with a 47-pound Rooster Chardonnay that is very much
into the butter, vanilla style. At $5/bottle it's hard to go wrong.

I've also found that Australian Chardonnays seem to lean toward that
sweeter, big buttery style--with the exception of Penfold's Rawson's
Retreat, which doesn't taste like much of anything.

Ed Rasimus
Fighter Pilot (USAF-Ret)
"When Thunder Rolled"
Smithsonian Institution Press
ISBN #1-58834-103-8
Chuck Reid

Where do you live Fiona? Makes a big difference on what you can get.
--
Regards
Chuck

To reply, delete NOSPAM from return address

"Fiona" > wrote in message
m...
> Hi all,
>
> It seems like most of the chards available in my grocery store this
> year are "crisp and fruity," but I'd buy apple juice if that was what
> I wanted! Because I have no sense of smell, I prefer a big-bodied
> buttery chardonnay. Oaky and vanilla-y are good too.
>
> Possibly there are some out there that would provide the mouth-feel
> that I want, but I'm turned off by labels advertising apple,
> grapefruit, and other citrus.
>
> I was sorta curious about a fig-flavored chard, but the $20 price tag
> was too expensive for me.
>
> I'll be grateful for advice!
> Fiona

WTN: Back to NY, with Riesling, Chardonnays, PN, etc DaleW Wine 0 22-02-2016 07:03 PM
2011 Diatom Chardonnays Bi!! Wine 5 17-09-2012 05:41 PM
Three Chardonnays Bi!! Wine 2 09-12-2010 03:54 PM
Some older Chardonnays Jim Mehl Wine 7 10-11-2007 12:24 AM
TN 89 & 90 Mount Eden Estate Chardonnays Cwdjrx _ Wine 8 26-07-2004 06:33 AM